Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's probably weird to say this after reposting a big old wall of text about the guy, but I think I'm done with Bane now. I've fallen into the trap before of picking the "interesting but not very good grappler" character early in other games' lives and I think I gotta stop.

Besides, Superman has the advantage of being fun and also being good.

IMO Superman might be the overall best character in the game right now, or at least competing with aquaman. He does everything well. Didn't superman players win both wnf and battle circuit this week? I know CD Jr was destroying people with him on spookys stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I can play for the next hour or so if anyone is on.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Well poo. I get tired of these ranked matches because its really easy to lose a round to random stuff.

Does anyone know exactly how fast throws are in this game?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Ggs gimea rubdown. Reallly had to go to bed. I had a poo poo connection to that rugpisser guy and couldn't block boulders and block/dash on reaction so I just went full rampage with doomsday before I left. You should get up with arikado or someone and learn flash stuff. You kinda hung yourself when we played and let me just wait for a punish usually.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
While also implying that anyone who takes the game seriously and is involved in the FGC is some kind of stereotypical rear end in a top hat? Meanwhile anonspore didn't insult anyone or make an aggressive post that should insult anyone. Some people, myself included, are competitive and like being as good as possible at the game. We've also repeatedly made helpful posts and offered to help teach people if they want. Goons and FGC people overlap quite a bit sometimes, they aren't exclusive of each other. People blowing stuff out of proportion I guess.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mr Fixit posted:

I'm enjoying this game so much, I re-upped to xbox gold, only to find my entire friends list nuked. I added myself to the meta-tag and plan on getting some playtime in this weekend. In as MIST3R FIXIT.

Edit: Hey Fingers, you ole such n' such! You were always one of my favorite people to lose to. Whats your GT?

FingersMLD. I'll be on tonight around 11 probably if you're still up. I work odd times and days but hit me up any time you see me on, I'm always down to play.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'll be on for an hour if anyone wants to play on xbox. FingersMLD

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I know that the frame data in the move lists is supposed to be bugged or wrong to some extent, but is there anywhere to find out exactly what is incorrect? Is it all off by x amount of frames or just certain things or ???

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Theres some odd stuff about the mechanics of jump attacks in this game. I think some people mentioned earlier that you have to buffer a string in as you're doing the jump in to get it to combo and I think the game acts like the jump attack is a part of the string as a result. I did some testing with doomsday last night and found that if I do j.d+3, 33, its a three hit string that can't be interrupted on block, despite what frame data indicates. The j.d3 is supposed to be -8 on block and between that and the startup of the 33 You should be able to slip a 1 or d1 in between but you can't. I tested it with a 7 frame jab and would just get hit for not blocking. Need to test it some more but jumping in this game is a really strong option for pressure, especially if you have good mid strings. Just an observation of the odd mechanics vs frame data of this game.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah the game lets you cancel jumpins into ground attacks. This lets you get around the weird system that lets the opponent block any time you go to neutral (i.e. if you link a jumpin into a ground move, you are going to neutral in between so it wouldn't combo.)

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me but it works. The links not working is weird too, I tried that early on. I wonder if its intentional? Seems like you could do some really weird combos if it wasn't I guess, I'm assuming cutting off hitstun when you go to neutral was their way of preventing infinites.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'll be on xbox for a while if anyone wants to play. If I go dead body suddenly its because I had to answer a phonecall but I'll come back.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If you're losing 40 games in a row or not landing a single combo its probably not just the connections fault you're losing unless you're on dialup!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Why would you guys bump lantern up? Hes really strong, but his damage isn't as high as the other S tier guys and his 50/50 stuff is blockable on reaction. He is the mid range king though and his b13 is one of the best footsie moves in the game.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

gannyGrabber posted:

Catwoman is clearly S+.

Really though, I wonder why they say Doomsday is so good? I find him very, very easy to beat.

Are you on xbox? I'll play you sometime if so to try to prove thier point :)

I'm phone posting or I'd go into detail but basicall doomsday moves very fast, has a special that is very hard to block that gives knockdown, and has specials and strings that leave him at + frames so you can't push buttons when he gets in.

Fixed spelling hurrr

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 13, 2013

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Re: Ares, a 50/50 that costs meter is pretty low on the bullshit levels for this game, especially for a character that isn't overly intimidating to begin with.

And i dont know why some of you think luthor is anything but garbage, I've been saying that since the game came out. He's a setup based character who never has time to set stuff up. I'd love for someone to surprise me though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Are all of the patch notes listed in one spot that someone can link in this thread?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Rugpisser posted:

They just got approved apparently, should be released tomorrow.

code:
Via Twitter:
woohoo! patch notes approved, should be ready to go for tomorrow when the new Batgirl/Balance patch goes live.

Thanks, I'd just assumed they came out with all this talk going on. Browsing TYM on a phone is terrible.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I had heard they were going to make supes ice breath -1 on block, kinda disappointed they didn't. Otherwise the changes are mostly minor, which is good. Hopefully they don't feel the need to over-patch the game.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So to talk about Green Lantern resets for a minute, I was watching Injustice at ECT this weekend and saw Jailhouse or someone do some neat dashunder setup off of MB lift instead of finishing a combo, and I'm leaning towards the opinion that GL is actually better off going for mixup opportunities at the end of his combos instead of finishing them for a tiny bit more damage.

For example, I can do:

b134xxdb1, 223xxbf1 MB, 223xxdb1.

This gets me 33% for one bar and trait use. If I do bf3 (the turbine) instead of db1 (the lift) after the last 223 I only get 31% damage, but I will also recover from turbine in time to immediately do another b13 or a f2d1. If I do b13 I can cancel into minigun and basically make up for the lost %2 in chip, or get another 10% if it hits since my trait is still active. If you know your opponent is mashing then I guess you can cancel into lift again, but thats risky and will get punished. If you opt to do the f2d1 then the f2 will miss if crouching, but the d1 part is a safe overhead and recovers in time to land a lift on hit confirm for another combo. Probably best to opt for b13 until you can catch people sleeping with f2d1. If the turbine carries you directly to the corner, then you will also be right beside the opponent, and can go for the much better f3 overhead.

If you land a GL BnB midscreen (anything into MB lift, b3, j3, 223xxdb1), you can end with turbine instead of lift and you will go directly to the corner and be setup for a perfectly timed f3 or b13. Putting yourself in the corner is usually ill advised though so I wouldn't go for this every time, though GL can escape the corner against a lot of people with an air turbine.

Any time you can end a combo in a MB lift, or cut a combo short into one, you can actually dash under the opponent and do a meaty mixup. The timing takes a little practice, but is a pretty capable reset since you get to go for either b13 or f3 each time, and landing an f3 means another 35% or another reset. You can do the combo at the top of the post and end in a MB lift, which will make it a 2 bar combo, but it allows for the dashunder mixup. You can also slightly delay your dash to end up on the same side, so it becomes more of a 4-way mixup which will be more useful in longer sets. For an overhead, I can do:

f3, j2, 223xxbf1 mb, 223 lift

for 36%. I can alter than and do

f3, j2, 123xxdb1 mb

for only 27%, but go for the dashup/under mixup, and potentially get a second full combo. If you land a raw b3, you can do

b3, j3, 123xxdb1 mb

for 32% and immediately go for the dash mixup. Lantern's b3 is one of the better ones in the game and is + on block so you have a solid chance at landing this one in a normal game.

I'm sure someone else with a little more time like SN64 can optimize a bit more, but it seems like GL can set up a lot of good opportunities by sacrificing a little damage every now and then. Sorry for the overly long post! I've decided I need to start keeping idea notes to help me remember things and this seems like a good spot.

tl;dr: Basically, any time you might end a combo in lift, you can end in turbine and go for a meaty setup. Any time you can stop a combo that uses mb lift early without losing too much damage, you can go for a dashup/under high/low mixup.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah regarding the mixup after db1 MB, I found that in a lot of cases I was giving up around 7% damage, which can be a lot. If you do, for example, f3, j2, 223 bf1 mb, 223 db1 mb, then do the mixup, you aren't losing much damage but you are using 2 meters. It's neat in theory but I don't think it's something you should go for every time.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Someone post some deathstroke combos or whatever. I'm thinking about being a scumbag and spending time with him instead of lantern as a secondary to doomsday.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Re: deathstroke,I want good full combos to practice when I get home! Browsing tym is a chore enough, much less on a phone. I want to fully enjoy trying to play a sagat analogy in this game and want someone that zones more than lantern.

Ed: oops didn't quote

Here's some: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5KheX5CzF0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfwHbyuIgiU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 22, 2013

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I haven't had much chance to play the last week but I'll be on for a while if anyone wants to play. Xbox gt is FingersMLD

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is there a reason my stick won't work at all when a march starts and my non dlc costumes have disappeared? Controls work fine until a match starts then stop, even training mode won't work

Edit: lol now it tells me to log into a profile to see the archives (I'm logged in) and when I push the button to turn off the xbox it automatically turns itself back on

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 5, 2013

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Deleting all of the game save data is apparently the only way to fix the control thing. Also it downloades up to the last compat pack, but scorpion and the last red son dlc don't even show up in the dlc list. I bought the red son gl costume and don't have it now. Someone help me :(

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Unbound posted:

Go to your download history and select it there.

Also, Scorpion is the most fun I have had with any character so far. This is great.

Where is my download history? I don't mess with dlc much. I looked through the marketplace and I don't see either the red son 2 pack or the black lantern pack. I guess they got taken down for some reason?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Batman and superman are the best and neither are overly hard to learn the basics of once you have combos. Green lantern is imo the most balanced character and top 5 and his combos are easy. The game is full of good characters.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Koth too crowded, anyone on xbox want to 1v1?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'm pretty sure that was you who whooped my rear end 10 times earlier tonight. I cherished those two victories.

Nope wasn't me but I'd be glad to if you're still on!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah I'm down, what's your tag?

Edit: nm found it in the spreadsheet and sent you a request

Double Edit: and also sorry had to step away for a few minutes.

Hey got your invite but I was playing with someone else, try again tomorrow!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Hopping on shortly if anyone wants to 1v1

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Ggs earlier joey aces. I've never played a batgirl before so it took me a couple matches to figure out exactly what was happening. Hit me up again some time, I'll probably keep grinding out with green lantern. Trying to avoid the temptation to fall back on doomsday for a while.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

checkstock posted:

Every time I see someone on my friends list in Injustice and not in a KoTH, I never get any response and I have very, very little interest in full KoTH or Survivor rooms.

I guess a better question is there anyone on Xbox interested in beating up a bad player in 1v1s?

I hate waiting to play so I usually don't do koth. I'll play when I'm on, I'll be on tonight around 11 if You want to play. GT is FingersMLD

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I like doing those resets a good bit, I feel like losing about 7% damage is worth a mixup into full combo. Plus f3 is advantage on block so You can keep pressuring. Depends on positioning too though.

Those top 8 results are mostly expected, 2 batgirls is interesting but after seeing more of her I can see where she's pretty strong.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Its possible to change which side you end up on, plus its easy to scare people by meter burning the f3 to avoid wakeups. But yeah wakeups are real easy now so its not so easy to pressure

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The correct answer is block and dash, especially with banes improved dash. Venom charge is a bad, highly projected move most of the time and trying to do it from any distance isn't going to catch a good deathstroke. The rifle shot is really deathstrokes worst projectile because it has the highest recovery and guarantees a free dash in. If you're new to big body grappler types then the first thing you need to learn is how to patiently make your way in and take an opening when you get it. Bait and block the sword spin, its like -24 on block if they do the flip spin move so any chain will punish it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Like blackout said, WW is good so grind it out with her and learn your matchups. Only way to get good with someone is to use them repeatedly. I only use lantern and doomsday so if people have a problem fighting the same guy over and over then don't play me.

GGs again today checkstock. You were doing a lot better today and were putting the pressure on a lot more efficiently today. I think you use up too much meter with the mb batarangs though, they don't do much damage even if you catch me jumping and don't seem to be an efficient use. Also, you were kinda going hog wild with wakeups there, even when I started baiting them so be careful about that. If you get a knock down on lantern, be absolutely sure that your mixup is really meaty, when I see people jump or hit buttons as I get up I will always land a ring grab.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

checkstock posted:

Wait, what? Are you sure that was me? I've been at work all day.

well nope then I am apparently getting my SA/GTs mixed up! I think I was playing Joey Aces. Got you confused.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
D2s scale horribly and should almost never be used in a combo as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

CharlestonJew posted:

You should probably try Doomsday. Body Splash into 3 3 is pretty much the most complicated combo you need to know. Also Supernova gives no fucks about Deathstroke's guns. Good Luthor players wreck me though, Luthor's trait is pretty much Doomsday's #1 weakness.

Your trait beats luthors. His armor disappears after a set number of hits. Luthor can wakeup corpse charge but that's punishable with a 123xxtackle on block from doomsday. Luthor can try and drop traps but only from full screen, if you see him throwing out a satellite or trap, you should tackle on reaction to the animation. Luthor generally can't do a whole lot against doomsday pressure when dooms gets in and his zoning is risky at best. I really think that isn't a horrible match for doomsday.

• Locked thread