Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Mine has like 0.5mm play at most, if you mean something perceptible but tiny like that it's probably normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I had a refurb 100L show up in a box that was something like 1x2x3ft, it was ridiculous.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I did a horrible, irresponsible thing and bought something, but can't bother to dwell on it right now cause it arrived and I'm too busy shooting black cats in the dark with full autofocus.

6D + Sigma 50/1.4 = :gizz::pcgaming:

How is this even possible? :psypop:

Infinite Karma posted:

But the advice has been helpful - it would scratch my new toy itch to get a new wide-angle lens, but I think I'll play with what I already have more and see if I can't get the results I'm looking for.

The Sigma 10-20 is pretty cheap, built like a tank, and a very fun option if you're interested in really wide angles. That or replace the 18-55 and 50 with the Tamron 17-50/2.8, another drat fine lens.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

70-300 IS poo poo Resale.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, it's already kind of tight doing indoor stuff with my 50 1.8. A 60 wouldn't be too much more than that, but I feel like with 100, it'd become much more of a nuisance. Even outdoors, I'd have to backpedal a fair amount because of my crop body.

If I could go back and do it again, I would've gotten a 60mm macro rather than 100. I find 100 to be really awkward on crop- too much for regular shots of people, etc, and not long enough for real telephoto. Consider too that a 60mm will get more effect from the same extension tubes, so you could get 2x magnification pretty easily.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Since the firmware upgrade, I've never filled my 7D's buffer. It's absurdly huge. That said, I only remember filling it up once or twice with really active bird stuff when it was still equal to the 70D. I'd go with the 70D- all things being pretty equal, go with the newer.

I like the flipscreens for schnoz grease protection too. :frog:

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

I guess I'll be going with a 6D.

Consider the current, EX level Sigma 50. With all the hype of the new expensive version, there should be some good deals and it is an excellent fit for a 6D. Mine was hit or miss focusing on my 7D, but hits every time at f/1.4 shooting black cats in moonlight on the 6D.*

*Slightly exaggerated, but not by much.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

1D Mark IV for $1500 on Craigslist... How can I make sure it's not stolen besides checking if the dentist facing divorce has all its cables and such? I've been planning on eventually upgrading my 7D to a 5D3 for wildlife, but this would be a fantastic reasonably similar upgrade for less money.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

I'd really like to know if the 7D2 properly downsizes video, or does line-skipping. It seems like there is zero reason for it not to given the 5d3 can with less processing power, but knowing Canon... "To allow for 60 frames at 1080, this method was unfortunately not available on the 7D Mark II, although the Magic Lantern folks will figure out how to do it in 6 months."

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Abe's didn't try the upsell thing with me, but the lens I ordered took something like 6 weeks to arrive. It was a good price, but drat, that's a while compared to anywhere else when it's labelled as in stock.

I got my 6D for $1400 from Amazon itself in some brief Black Friday sort of deal, though I think it was in December. Maybe a similar price will happen again this year?

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

Keep using center point, the AF system on the 6D is actually a downgrade from the 7D because Canon hates you.

I've found the 6D center point to be considerably more accurate than the 7D at all apertures big and small. Definitely not as responsive, but it's absolutely spot on rather than needing live view in really precise situations. Even better, the precision focusing screen lets me know this before reviewing a bunch of botched shots at 10x. :doh:

Obviously for any sort of action the 7D is much better.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

6D somehow corrupted the SD card with my honeymoon pictures so that nothing else will read it.

Thank babby red-ring Jesus for wifi, though the camera interface is rather obtuse and I had to reinstall EOS utility (and 3 other useless bloatware programs that one cannot opt out of) to get things working.

I now understand why event photographers refuse to use anything that doesn't write to 2 cards. :ohdear:

For an extra laugh, I tried it on the EOS-M I bought for backpacking, figured that camera had a dead reader, and was reminded that I really did buy an EOS-M. poo poo.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

If anyone is curious about durability, and whether a 6D and 24-70/4 can survive a fall... out of a semi truck...

:crossarms:

Aside from a little zoom stiffness in the mid-range, it actually seems alright. Plus cool gouged metal in the back!

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

KinkyJohn posted:

I had too many jagermeisters at a friend's wedding, and somehow managed to make my 6d + 135mm fly, crash and tumble onto concrete. It has three small scuff marks and everything works perfectly. You can say what you want about the dynamic range, but these things are built like tanks!

Seriously. It's been a month since dropping my 6D out of a semi, and it's definitely 100% fine. Did yours also violently fling the battery out and pop the card door on impact?

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Every west coast well-off white person over 60 who drives a Subaru/Prius has a 7D to take pictures of birds, and a lot probably now have a 7D2. That and a 100-400 or 300/4 or the like.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Ryand-Smith posted:

So I'm looking at getting the 7DmkII, and while my 17-50 2.8 lens has treated me well, I would like a bit more reach, and now I'm looking at the 15-85 3.5-5.5 and/or the 17-70 Sigma. I can get the canon glass pretty cheap used everywhere at 400bucks, so selling my 17-50 will pay for most of it, but has anyone in here used any of that glass? Second question, I'm looking for a ttl flash for the 7D, does anyone in here have any recommendations?

I love the 15-85 and used it after the Tamron 17-50/2.8. I was stopping down a lot for landscapes, so the stabilizer was absolutely worth it and the range is very useful. Overall just good solid quality on all fronts, minus the aperture. I think the 15-85 plus a cheap bright prime is a great combo for similar overall price.

Incidentally, I plan on selling mine in the trading thread this week only because it's totally redundant next to my FF setup and money is useful...

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Going from a 300/4 to a 400/2.8 is a horrible idea that will only lead to a dark path of suffering, right? :allears: May have found an IS mk1 for under 4k...

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

My favorite EOS-M feature is how you can theoretically change the UI colors, which affects that menu screen and almost nothing else. Zero effect on the quick menu or any other regular usage screen in the interface. :thumbsup:

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

speedbooster etc tirade posted:

If you start the camera with the shutter button already pressed, it is only a half-press. :mario:

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

On night racing... is there a spot you could get panning shots? That would leverage your low-light problem into :rice:

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Ryand-Smith posted:

Has anyone in here used the 15-85 EF-S glass? Just asking for idle curiosity.

Seconding MooseNoose, right down to the move to full frame. It's just all around fantastic, but gets ignored by aperture snobs. I posted one in the buy/sell thread that's still available too... :wiggle:

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

5.6 is fine at twilight IMO if things aren't moving and you have a stabilized lens or tripod. I have the 55-250 STM and it has very good IQ- except for more chromatic aberration, I think it's as sharp as my 300/4L. The ii seems pretty similar optically.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

On smaller Canon issues, has anyone dealt with the "Lens error" issue on an S100? I'm on vacation and probably going to attempt camera surgery to fix the faulty connector since otherwise my underwater housing is going unused, but a success story would be comforting. It should be humid enough to avoid ESD damage, so I'm only worried about damage during disassembly. :ohdear:

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Yeah, it's been 5 years since the 1Div was discontinued, aps-h is not coming back from a marketing perspective. Is there anything still produced besides that one wacky Sigma camera?

President Beep posted:

If mirrorless cameras develop to the point that they replace DSLRs for professional uses and such, I wonder if Canon will end up carrying APS-H or equivalent over to whatever their top of the line body becomes. I assume there's a practical reason why they've used that sensor on so many 1D models, even after the advent of full frame.

On second thought, I agree that a new pro-level mirrorless system exclusively in APS-H would be a pretty rad compromise between size and shallow DoF. With a shorter flange distance, I bet a lot of -H lenses could wind up the same total size as equivalent -C on a DSLR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Psh, 17-50mm? I have a favorite bird shot on a Rebel at 11mm. :smugbird:

Does anyone remember the series some Goon got of a Harris's Hawk super close with a wide-angle canyon view behind? Aliencowboy or a similar name, used to post awesome stuff here all the time?