Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Have you thought about the 70-300L? It's a really great lens that people tend to overlook between the 70-200's and the 100-400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mclifford82 posted:

I have thought about it (though only briefly, I didn't even realize it existed until about two days ago). How would image quality stack up against the 70-200 f/4L? The situations where I would be using the longer end (especially if the 1.4x is attached) would be in cloudy conditions at the worst so even f5.6 would be good.

It's light, compact, sharp, quick AF, and has great IS. I think it would be sharper and faster AF at 300 than the 70-200/4 is with the 1.4x tc. The main issue is if you ever want to go longer than 300, the 70-300L can only take a small number of 3rd party TCs, and I've had poor results with that so far. Otherwise I love the lens.

This link I think shows the comparison, although I can't tell which generation TC they are using. Pretty close to my eye.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Boneitis posted:

Pulled the trigger on a 40mm 2.8 through eBay a few days ago, and holy poo poo was I impressed. I can see why everyone says that everyone else needs one. Seriously tack sharp, a far cry from the kit lens that I was using. One thing that is hard to get used to, however, is the STM. Even though the auto focus is fast and accurate for the most part, the AF Points on my T1i are mainly useless save for the center point. That means that I rely on the manual focus for the most part while shooting still life. The manual focus is pretty annoying on this lens. There is a small lag between the turning of the ring and the actual movement of the focus. I could get used to it, but it being a smaller focal length with a wider depth of field makes it hard to actually see if the subject is in focus.

The T1i allows back-button focus, right? It makes focus/recompose pretty easy while you stick with the center point- that's what I do on my 60D.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love my 8-16 and primarily use it at 8 but it can be too wide for a lot of landscapes. I find it best for really tall things, or when you have something big in the foreground.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheAngryDrunk posted:

70D Spec list here: http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/06/canon-eos-70d-spec-list/

Sounds pretty nice. Let's see the cost now.

This is Canon we're talking about. I'm going to optimistically guess $1399, but won't be surprised if they make it closer to $1799, about where the 7D came out if I remember.

(With wifi, 19 cross-type, new processor, touch screen, it looks like a nice upgrade from a 60D. I'd definitely consider getting one if the price isn't too bad.)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
70D is officially announced.

wifi, 7fps, flippy touch screen, 20mp. 19 pt AF, all cross-type, fancy new live-view AF, AMFA.

Apparently did not get: AMFA, weather sealing, dual card slots, fast card slot, GPS.

Definitely seems like an upgrade from the underwhelming aps-c advances of the past 2-3 years, and I'm actually surprised at how cheap it is (I was guessing $1400 to start). Of course we'll have to wait to see how the sensor actually performs.

This also leaves plenty of room for a 7DmkII or 8D or whatever the high-end crop camera will be called.

e: just glanced at the dpreview preview and it says it got AMFA- cool! They were also pretty positive on the live view AF from my quick readthrough

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 2, 2013

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
At least one of the hands-on previews showed a grip, so I'd guess at least the canon branded ones will be available right away. Not sure about the (much cheaper) off-brand ones.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

notwithoutmyanus posted:

been reading the thread - going to update from kiss digital x to something more modern prior to a trip to italy, so this is a great resource!

I heard mentioned by a coworker today that folks who do wedding photography and whatnot tend to kill their shutters within a year or two? Is this something we'll experience with a newer camera as well, or only if we were actual professionals? Just getting into the amateur/consumer stuff and wifey wants to upgrade. What is a reasonable camera body that can still use the EFS 55-250 (or should I be using it) that also more importantly uses CF? Should we be looking for the 60d/70d/700d? I liked everything about the 6d, except that waiting for the sd card to catch up sounds terrible. Shooting raws with a 300 speed CF already has delays on the rebel, which is part of what's prompting the upgrade.

If you're really worried about using CF cards and EF-S lenses, then it's pretty much only the 7D you should be looking at.

I don't think that either of those are really compelling reasons to stick with a crop body if you were thinking about going full-frame otherwise. 70D is not out yet and won't be until at least september. 60D is a really nice body for the ergonomics, t5i has a slightly newer processor and touch screen LCD (I think), and the SL1 is pretty well featured for something as small as it is. Aside from getting something that feels good for you, the differences in the recent canon aps-c bodies are probably not going to make as much difference as investing in lenses.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

outcast_p posted:

I have a t3 currently and have been eyeing up the 60d, since it is what I can afford.

Buydig has it for $599, shipped with no tax. Seems like quite a deal. Unless I wait for people to start unloading their's cheap when they get the 70D or a FF camera.

From what I can tell, getting a 60d is worth it over a T4i/T5i. Would that be a correct assumption?

I already have a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and a 70-200 f4L use with it.

It's mainly worth it for the ergonomics if that's what is important to you. Bigger, top LCD, dual control wheels, locking mode wheel. The T5i has the touch LCD and has the video AF, and has all cross-type AF points compared to just the center on the 60D.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Manos posted:

This is only for bodies/bodies+lens and not just lenses correct?

There's a separate page for lenses.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bisticles posted:

Got my EOS-M with the 22mm STM today. Haven't bought a P&S in ages, but wanted something I could bring on hikes, bike rides and other occasions where I want to get good shots without being That Guy.

Image quality is loving fantastic. AF is still a bit slow and deliberate, even with the newest firmware, but it almost always locks onto its target on the first pass. Screen is massive, body is solid but with tiny grips right where they need to be.

Trying to use it as a manual camera is frustrating, with its lack of proper dials, but I'd imagine that's not its intended usage. In the Scene Intelligent Auto mode, it constantly assesses lighting conditions and subjects to pick the right modes. So far, I've only used it around the house taking pictures of the dog, but I'm going to take it in town tomorrow and see how it deals with backlit subjects and fun stuff like that. Definitely a powerful piece of kit for $299.

Just tried mine new EOS-M out too (I ended up getting a used LN 18-55 as well). It was tons of fun. I had the same impression of the focus- I certainly wouldn't call it fast, but I rarely had to tell it twice what I wanted in focus. I actually got used to some of the adjustments (aperture in Av mode, exposure compensation, etc). I haven't played with most of the scenes but did get some nice shots with the night multi-shot.

My main annoyance right now is figuring out what options stay set and which ones reset. I kept turning off the touch-screen-to-take-picture option, and 5 minutes later I'd somehow inadvertently take a picture bumping it against by belly, taking it out of the case, etc. I'm not sure if I was accidentally hitting the toggle for that in the lower left of the screen, or whether it was resetting that option every time it powered off.

My EF/EF-S adapter just arrived, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

The bad news is that I had so much fun with the M that it makes me want a more complete, better featured mirrorless like the OM-D or XE-1...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

King Bahamut posted:

My wife and I just bought a Rebel T5i with the larger lens package. Good first DSLR? We're absolute nubs to "real" photography, but want to throw ourselves into it in time for a big trip to Iceland and some family events coming up later this year. Right now it's study time, but I'd appreciate any advice towards additional gear that our particular set should need as we develop. Is this something we can learn on our own or should we look up a class?

Personally I found one of the extended manuals very helpful. Something like this:

It fills in more detail about the features on the camera, especially with more context in why you'd want to use certain things.

That and Understanding Exposure, and you'll be in pretty good shape. Otherwise, get lens hoods for your lenses if you don't already have them and spare batteries and cards so you can keep shooting.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

erephus posted:

I have been going back and forth with returning the 100D and take the 600D because of that the 600D have already proven it self to be a good camera.

If it makes you feel better, dpreview just released their review of the 100D and were pretty impressed.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also don't wait patiently for your friends to realize they are in your shot and move out of the way. If they've only got P&S or kit lenses, they don't have a clue that they could be in the way.

e: new page... I found a decent small bag at Best Buy for my M + zoom + 22/2. It's a Manfrotto case so probably costs more than it should (although I'm pretty sure it was < $40). I can't see the exact one online, but it's really simple, Just a zipper compartment, one padded divider, and a little velcro pocket in the lid. I'm not a huge fan of zipper openings, and I wouldn't have minded another small pocket on the outside, but it packs stuff in really efficiently and is compact to throw over your shoulder or to throw in another bag. I needed something ASAP for a trip a couple of weeks ago and this works pretty well for me.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 2, 2013

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd also suggest the 70-300L. Great IS. The difference between 200 and 300 is pretty substantial for wildlife. Compared with the 100-400, the extra 100mm on the 400 is not as big proportionally as the jump from 200 to 300, while the 70 is very useful on the wide end for landscapes or portraits. It's a great vacation lens if you aren't specializing on birds or sports.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Have you thought about the 40/2.8, or do you really need the extra stops?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like the EOS-M too- it's certainly far perfect but for the price I feel good about the purchase. The touch menu is generally quick to use, and I've been happy with the photos.

Dad-at-Kipos 1464 on Flickr

mugs-in-pittsboro 1465 on Flickr

DurCentPark 1466 on Flickr

- Not sure if this is a problem outside of Aperture, but I seem to have the issue of reporting incorrect lens in the EXIF. I have both the zoom and 22/2, and in Aperture it shows all of them as being taken with the 22/2. Not a big deal but just something to watch out for.

- Have occasionally missed having a pop-up flash, although the 22/2 does a pretty nice job in reasonable light.

- Sometimes I have a hard time getting focus of close things (e.g. bugs, holding a lizard in my hand, etc).

- Not exactly sure how it happens, possibly when switching between a PASM mode and one of the other modes, but I end up taking a lot of inadvertent pictures when the "touch-screen-to-take-picture" mode gets reactivated without my knowing.

I haven't played around with the adapter for my ef/efs lenses much yet.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Keep in mind that the 5d3 kits come with an L lens, not the lower quality ef-s zooms that the rebels or XXD come with. Not saying you shouldn't go with one of the 3rd party lenses, but just know that "kit" is going to mean something different when you buy FF.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

It's kinda cheating because it's actually combining four different exposures, but here's the night exposure mode on the EOS M, standard 18-55 STM lens.

The second one IRL it was pretty dark, I almost can't believe how much more sensitive the camera is than the human eye.

It's a fun feature, although it uses ISO 12600 to get the relatively fast shutter speed and the high ISO noise is pretty apparent. I still use it though- beats trying to hand-hold at 1/4s or something.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BrosephofArimathea posted:

To all the people who own an eos m (ie, both of you), do you have an original canon EF adapter or a dodgy third party one? Can I get away with a $40 Chinese knockoff?

I tried a RainbowImag adapter and it wouldn't work, so I went with the Canon brand. I think some people have had better luck though.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
B&H has the shorty 40 for $99 right now 22mm for Eos M. Not entirely sure what "white box" means, but drat that's a nice deal right there.

whoops- got that from Canon Rumors- guess they aren't always right...

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 15, 2013

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I can't believe they wouldn't chuck the 70D sensor in it. Unless they keep selling these as a $300 kit I don't know that it's very attractive. I guess the wifi is nice though.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

doctor 7 posted:

I'm pretty much out of my element as to the technical aspects of FF to crop but I was under the impression that crops and FF are essentially the same but the crops are physically smaller (thus cheaper). So the density is the same but the surface area is smaller, so less light can hit the crop resulting in the FF producing the superior image (especially in low-light).

Am I embarrassingly off base?

Pretty sure the pixels are actually larger on a FF sensor, making them more sensitive.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bubbacub posted:

Finally got a 5D3, and it's a dud. Error code 40, which seems to be some kind of battery/electrical problem. I'm using a battery that my 60D is perfectly happy with. Anyone else had this problem?

From last page- don't remember if anyone replied to this but just saw this on CanonRumors. Apparently the new firmware in the 5D3 checks for authentic Canon batts, nominally to avoid "counterfit" batteries but apparently affecting other 3rd party replacement batteries as well.

e: fixed link

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 12, 2013

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
whoops, sorry- fixed that up above.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
EOS M Question: I've now got an EF digiscoping adapter that I'd like to use with my M.

So the set-up is:
Digiscoping adapter > Canon EF/EFS - Eos M adapter > Eos M Body.

The digiscoping adapter is something that mechanically positions the camera over the scope eyepiece. It locks into the EF>M adapter, but doesn't look like it touches the contacts.

The image looks OK on the screen, but I can't get get the camera to take a picture, presumably because there's no lens attached. I don't have any other old fully manual lenses to play around with. Anyone know how to over-ride and get the shutter to engage? Thanks.

e: nm- finally found the "release shutter without lens" option under one of the custom functions.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 14, 2013

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Seamonster posted:

Tamron 150-600mm is getting me AMPED UP. Sure its f/5-6.3 but if it can maintain 5.6 up to 400mm and at least challenge the 100-400mmL there then holy balls. Also less than $1100??? And the price is sure to drop too, just look what is happening to the 24-70mm 2.8 VC. Must...have...reviews....

I'm definitely intrigued as well, but I'm also holding off to see what the rumored Sigma telephoto primes are going to look like. Given the price and performance of the 120-300/2.8, I'd love to see a sharp 300/2.8 plus a TC come in below $3k.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Still no panorama mode :( Canon hates fun.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love back button focus- the only slightly annoying thing is if I've been reviewing a photo, and then go to take another picture, the back button will cause the lcd to show more photos rather than leaving review mode and going back to picky takey mode. I have to remember to half-press the shutter button before I try to focus. (on a 60D)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've seen some goons post here recently that they've jumped from a crop-sensor Canon to the 6D. Do any of you have issues the max shutter speed or the flash sync speed on the 6D? I'd be coming from a 60D. I'm not sure how often I hit 1/8000sec, but I wonder about e.g. shooting macro with a flash and not being able to stop motion if the wind blows and the flower/bug starts moving around.

Most of my lenses are EF already.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mrlego posted:

Are you thinking about max x-sync speed on full frames using wireless triggers(1/200th), or high speed sync using E-TTL (almost any shutter speed) or a combination of the two?

I guess the wireless trigger? Specs show 1/180 for the 6D, which seems significantly lower than the 1/250 on the 60D. Probably not a big deal but I just wondered if it was actually something to worry about. The AF on the 5d3 would be nice since I shoot a lot of wildlife, but I'm used to using the center point so it's not a necessity. Plus I'll probably want to shell out for something longer than 300mm...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

:wow:

loving nuts. If it has a manageable price tag I'll sell my 70D and snag that.

10fps...holy poo poo!

It may well have that, but I wouldn't trust those specs. Why wouldn't it be ef-s? Would also be surprised if it took CF cards instead of sd. Plus they seem not to know a lot of important details.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's the 40/2.8- not sure if it will be wide enough for you but might be worth a look.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is 8mm (Sigma 8-16)

atv_startrail 062 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Badger posted:

Looks exactly like what I want to do, hopefully I can find one for less than the $650 Amazon is asking

There's at least one in the buy/sell thread right now .

It's a totally fun lens, but if you want to use filters it might not be your first choice. The front element sticks way out.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I need advice for getting a telephoto lens for an upcoming trip to Alaska (leave in ~10 days). I currently have a 6D and 60D, and a 70-300L. I ordered the Tamron 150-600 a couple months ago but it's not likely to get here before I leave. I'll be gone for 3 weeks, which makes rental of even a relatively cheap lens close to $200.

I'm thinking about either getting the 400/5.6 L or one of the Sigma super-zooms (50-500 or 150-500), and leaning towards the Canon. Not sure whether I'd cancel the Tamron or wait until it comes in then sell one of the two.

If I were to put the 400 on the 6D, I'd have 400mm, I'd have more or less what I'd have with the 70-300 on the crop body.

If I put the 400 on the 60D, I'd have >500mm equivalent, but I'd not have the high-ISO performance and would not be able to achieve as high shutter speeds which sound important for hand-holding the non-IS 400. There may be some bright sunny days, but this will be mostly above the arctic circle close with lots of gray skies and shortening days.

I keep going around in circles about whether I'll need an IS/OS lens, and how important the weather sealing will be since a rain suit is first on all the gear lists I've gotten. Would the 400L be a mistake in any way?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dorkanoid posted:

It depends on what you're expecting to shoot, but IS doesn't save you from all kinds of blurring issues, especially when it's getting darker.

I've used the 400/5.6L extensively over the last few weeks, and it shines at 1/800 or faster on the 6D (where IS doesn't really matter); I find the extra range I get with my 550D is countered by the worse AF and ISO perfomance - I'd often rather crop the image extra rather than using the 550D. I haven't tried the 70-300L, but I tested Sigma 150-500, and the 400L focuses faster, and is sharper (of course it's also double the price). That being said, the 150-500 was more than sharp enough (especially at 300-400mm), and is more versatile.

Grey heron by lejordet, on Flickr

the log shown is the in the middle of this cellphone picture (may have to click to see full version)

(Nexus 5, close to 40mm equivalent I believe)

Thanks for the input. I ended up jumping the gun and getting the 400 last night. :ohdear:

The 70-300L is amazing for af/is/iq, but barely long enough on a crop for wildlife so the added reach will be nice. The 70-300 may still be my carry-around-while-working lens.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dorkanoid posted:

I have a huge "hole" in my setup between 105mm and 400mm, and I'm considering the 70-200 4L IS, but not sure. I think I'll have a look at the 70-300L too.

One thing to keep in mind is that it can only take certain off-brand TCs. Otherwise, if you don't need the extra stop it's pretty great.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's been some talk that the replacement for that lens will be announced in early September (along with the 7D2). Unless you need one right away, might be worth waiting, if only for the glut of old lenses that people will unleash on the market when that one starts shipping. Of course they could announce and not ship until next year...

Also, if you were considering 300mm maybe look at the 70-300L.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Finally got an email from B&H saying that my Tamron 150-600 has shipped! I ordered in June. I was kind of hoping reviews of the Sigma would have come out by now but I guess I should be happy enough to have a lens in hand.