Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
I picked up used 100mm macro (not L) from local Canon dealer and its focus ring is just a bit loose. Turning the focus ring is nice and smooth, just a little play when you start to turn it the other way. Everything else seems to be fine. Should I be worried?

It was checked by Canon tech and is supposed to be fine but maybe they just want to get rid of it :tinfoil:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Alpenglow posted:

Mine has like 0.5mm play at most, if you mean something perceptible but tiny like that it's probably normal.
Yeah, I should probably spend less time worrying and more time taking photos :)

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Tony Montana posted:

But FF means different lenses? That's definitely a thing?

I can't use my lenses from my 450D with a 6D?
EF lenses can be used on both, EF-S lenses (like EF-S 10-22mm or EF-S 60mm macro) are for crop sensor cameras. Third-party lenses are similar except different labels.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Yes, Tamron 17-50mm is for crop sensors, Di II in Tamron-speak. Note, just Di lenses are not :downs:

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Graniteman posted:

If that stupid custom function was to enable back button focus you may want to try to get used to it. Many people feel that's a better way to operate a camera. Setting the focus is a separate operation conceptually from setting exposure and triggering the shutter.

One of the great tips I picked up from this thread, really like it in some situations.

Also great to keep people from messing with your gear when you aren't around :smuggo:.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Maybe you mean M42 screw mount?

E: beaten

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
If you google you find lists like this where people log what lenses are fine on full frame bodies. IIRC it was bigger problem with original 5D, later bodies had smaller mirrors. But don't quote me on that, I don't have full frame :)

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Odette posted:

Any pics of the 6D side by side with any of the 5D variants? I'm interested in the small details.
I've always used this site to compare camera sizes

http://camerasize.com/compact/#380,312,192,328,ha,f

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Laserface posted:

I have a Tamron 70-300 that causes my 550D to lock up, but ONLY when shooting between 180-300mm + using high aperture (11+)

I get a 'communication between the camera lens and body has been lost' error on the screen and need to disconnect and reboot the body and reconnect for it to start working normally again.
You probably already did but... tried cleaning contacts on body and lens?

There are several different 70-200 versions, after renting it a few times I can at least attest that f/2.8L IS II USM is amazing piece of kit that makes you not want to use anything else...

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Helen Highwater posted:

To be fair, that's a $2700 lens. If you're shooting a 550D as your main body, I doubt that you're looking to drop that much on a single lens.

There's an f/4 70-200 which is about half the price and isn't as good (it's not just the extra aperture that you're paying for on the f/2.8) but still decent. The Sigma/Tamron offerings in that range are about on par with it and marginally less expensive.
Yeah, it is expensive... that's why I have to rent it to put on my 550D :negative:

I've also used the old f/2.8 non-IS, it was also great. Don't have experience with other third-party 70-200 lenses but from my experience with Tamron normal zooms I'd hanestly prefer Canon if possible. F/4 Canon is also pretty light, not 1.5 kg monster like 2.8 :D

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Soulex posted:

That being said, I'm curious about macro lenses for full frame. I bought a ring flash and want to learn how to take some of those super cool close up photos that I always never seem to be able to recreate.

Canon 100 mm macro is great, L version if you want to spend more. 3rd party lenses are cool too, but I'd prefer Canon lenses, easier to attach their macro flashes.

Though after using it on crop camera, 1X magnification on FF camera is kinda disappointing... so MP-E 65 :v:

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Yeah, nothing wrong with that. There are so many options, reversing lens, extension tubes, macro filters... It just comes down to how convenient you want your setup to be. Dialing up whatever magnification with a MP-E 65 is just amazingly simple after loving around with extension tubes. Light is more important anyway, getting nice diffused light from flash is another rabbit hole to follow...

Regular 1X macro lens, say 90mm or 100mm, is really great to have though and is useful in all kinds of situations

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Big Mackson posted:

I got an Zenit-E with an assortment of russian objectives using M42 mount. Would using EF to M42 adapter be okay for an canon 40D?

Yes. Just be sure to buy "chipped" adapter that lights up focus points in viewfinder as a ghetto focus assist.

E: That is, of course, for adapting M42 to EF! :v:

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

echinopsis posted:

but I have an EF sigma lens and it's excellent on my R
Which one it is? I'm using Tamron 24-70 G2 on my R6 and it works like a treat ... Except when it decides to to stop focusing every goddamn time I start to take a picture. Pulling battery works. I have no idea what even triggers it because most of the time it works perfectly with no problems.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Events are always, alwaaaays dark, I would def go for f/2.8. And for me, out of the trinity you mention, 70-200 f/2.8 is in my opinion a must have. 24-70 you can fake with cheaper primes but not that one.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Can I ask what the biggest deal is with 2.8 vs. 4? Seems like they would differ in:
1) Total light @2.8 v 4
2) possibly AF ability in low light
3) DOF

Also, about 1 kg in weight!

I've used 70-200 f/4 also, it's great outdoors but indoors ... Well I'm happy that R6 lets me push ISO to 25600 with files looking about same as m4/3 looked at 6400.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Tech gear reviews in general have gotten almost useless, sometimes you get new interesting person to follow who then eventually also falls into the trap of paid promotion, too afraid to say anything negative. At least cameras are all pretty much amazing these days and more important is the system you buy into and features you might not want to live without anymore.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Oh, I was just making a general comment. I'm sure the R6 II is geat. I'm already really happy with my R6. I absolutely do not want to live anymore without it's tracking/eye AF, it makes shooting events and portraits sooooo painless.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

dank glitterqueef posted:

Not sure if I can really afford a meaningful upgrade on my budget, but I was hoping to get some advice...

I'm shooting on a Rebel T2i and have been using my EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lens to take photos of birds & other wildlife for the last couple years, but the chromatic aberration issues and shakiness I deal with with my current setup has made me wonder if I could get a little bit better quality than I have right now. Faster AF would be a bonus as well but overall I'm primarily concerned with the quality of my final images. Any recommendations for lenses of similar focal lengths that I might reasonably be able to find for under $500 that would get me any noticeable difference? I don't have much to work with so maybe it's something I'll have to table until I can put more money towards upgrading.

Sigma 150-600 mm Contemporary. Less than $800 new and even cheaper used. Terrific lens for the money if you are using DSLR. Not so hot on new RF bodies because of the focus issues but still can work.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Lights posted:

Also, I've now had my R6II for about 24 hours and I am absolutely floored at how amazing it is compared to my beloved 6D. The autofocus is SO GOOD. The only issue I've had thus far is that when I threw a flash on, it seemed like something with the exposure compensation broke, because every shot was coming out about 3 stops underexposed, but I wasn't able to adjust EC through any of the controls that I could find. I'm sure there's some combination of settings that adjust that, but I haven't had time just yet to figure out what was going on.

Using third-party lens? I have Tamron 35 mm 1.8 that sometimes does this with mk I (and then sometimes works perfectly). Other than that, perhaps flash settings in menu, ambience priority, flash priority etc

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Well if R8 had IBIS and little better viewfinder plus some more small stuff then it literally would be R6, no?

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Really depends on your shooting habits and work you do. If it's mostly moving people, events, etc it's easy to forget you even want it. Definitely saved my butt on a few occasions though, when I've clicked my 70-200 2.8 IS off by accident and didn't notice until later.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

jarlywarly posted:

Pretty sure on Canon if your turn off lens IS it turns of IBIS as well..

Wow, then I've got rock solid hold :pwn:

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

echinopsis posted:

god drat why in the gently caress does my camera (EOS R) switch off auto ISO

ISO on touch control or lens/adapter control ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
One benefit of mirrorless is that you don't need to review your photos – you already saw it in viewfinder when you captured it. I personally keep rear LCD closed like 99% of time on my R6 and flip it open only when I need low angle or something. This is the biggest user experience change IMO going from DSLR to mirrorless.