Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Here's two raws from the R6 and R5 respectively:

I can post 100% crops of others later but the colors are consistent and no issues from either.

thanks. howd that dude score so many chicks? nice photos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Really depends on your shooting habits and work you do. If it's mostly moving people, events, etc it's easy to forget you even want it. Definitely saved my butt on a few occasions though, when I've clicked my 70-200 2.8 IS off by accident and didn't notice until later.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Pretty sure on Canon if your turn off lens IS it turns of IBIS as well..

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

jarlywarly posted:

Pretty sure on Canon if your turn off lens IS it turns of IBIS as well..

Wow, then I've got rock solid hold :pwn:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Well if R8 had IBIS and little better viewfinder plus some more small stuff then it literally would be R6, no?
Yes but for like an extra grand and more bulk/weight.

All I want is a perfect camera :negative:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
god drat why in the gently caress does my camera (EOS R) switch off auto ISO

honestly it drives me mad. I shoot in aperture priority and I rely on auto iso to make sure my shutter speeds are fast enough for my 135mm, usually gotta be like 1/500

anyway , i’ll be shooting away and all of a sudden notice it’s locked into an ISO of 400 or 200 or whatever

what the gently caress an I doing?
am I bumping some switch?

I was just doing a photoshoot and the light was getting dim and all of a sudden nori was it was trying to shoot at 1/30 to get enough light

if someone has an answer for me drat I’ll be happy

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

echinopsis posted:

god drat why in the gently caress does my camera (EOS R) switch off auto ISO

ISO on touch control or lens/adapter control ring?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hmmmmm maybe

thanks for the hot tip, I'll check that out next

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

touch screens are the bane of modern society

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
It's not even a screen, its a strip on the back of the camera where your thumb controls would be, it's a noted "bad idea" that Canon thankfully did not try on any newer bodies.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I had a weird experience at a photo class yesterday. I had a Sigma 50/1.4 dg ex on a 5D4 and sometimes it through one or more concentric circles on the image. Other times no. It also seemed to do it on my R6. It appeared on the raw and not just an in-camera jpeg. What the heck is going on?

Wtf lens circles on Flickr

Partially related to this question, anyone have thoughts on a reasonably inexpensive portrait lens for EF? I'm probably looking at a price range between used 85/1.8 EF (~$250) and Sigma Art 50/1.4 (~$650)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BetterLekNextTime posted:

between used 85/1.8 EF (~$250)

This one. If you could stretch your high end a little or hunt out a bargain a 135 f2L would be even better. I've seen them hit $500.

https://radojuva.com/en/2020/03/sigma-art-and-canon-eos-circles/

Seems to be related to in camera lens correction and the camera thinking it's a canon lens. Turn off the lens correction stuff.

quote:

The treatment is quite simple: In the camera menu, disable automatic distortion correction. For example, on a camera Canon EOS 6D Mark II on the menu "Aberra correction the lens”Should be set to Corr. periphery. lighting .: OFF, Corr. chromium. Aberration: OFF, Distortion Correction: OFF, Diffraction Correction: OFF. Also, the latest lens firmware may help.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That definitely seems like the issue. Of course now I can't replicate the problem at home :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well I have something new to try today, there's a new firmware for the R5 to use the IBIS to do pixel shifting, producing files "up to" 400MP. Jpeg only which sucks but it still sounds fun.

I don't know why I'd ever need that kind of resolution especially considering I think that's beyond what the lenses can resolve but I guess I'll try it out for doing panos without having to stitch images, I can just crop down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well it certainly is a 400mp file. Being jpeg only is by far the worst part of it, especially for this scene because it means I can do zero highlight recovery on it. It also looks pretty bad at 100%.

original file, have fun it's 115MB

However if you scale the image down at all it improves dramatically. As an example, resize the image to the native resolution of the R5 (8192x5464) the resulting image does seem to be a little sharper at 100%.

Downscaled ibis hi-res:

100% from 45 megapixel raw:

So it might be a useful feature if you never intend to do any edits and can get a good histogram (unlike this sample image). It would be a lot better if it could produce a RAW file.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Canons new RF 100-300 2.8 is wild. Can't wait to see what else they can do with this mount.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my canon eos r with a ef sigma 135mm f/1.8 running thru canon adapter continues to work amazing

the thing that truly made it was turning on that highlight priority thing up to max. can’t help but feel that if you’re relying on auto exposure in any way you should have it on all the time no second thoughts. the downside (minimum iso of 200) is so minor and not worth worrying about. I need an ND anyway

i’ve had photos that I thought were totally cooked but end result was maybe a few pixels saturated (or even none) but the entire images totally useable whereas without it it was a goner. amazes me how much data can get squished into the top few % of the histogram without tripping over the end of it

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

Canons new RF 100-300 2.8 is wild. Can't wait to see what else they can do with this mount.

The EF 300/2.8ii is my favorite lens, looking forward to see how well zoom version works with extenders.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I just got the EF-S 15-85mm as an "upgrade" to my kit lens and this thing is thicc! It's the most expensive lens I own now and it's definitely the heaviest. I got it fairly cheap but it's in really nice condition save for a few dust spots behind the frontmost lens. I've only been able to play with it inside so far because the weather is awful this week, but I'm already surprised how much different those extra 3mm on the wide end make.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shot a wedding vid on a Canon R7 with a Sigma 18-35 1.8 and fell in love with that combo. The oversampled 7k to 4k honestly looks better than the raw 4k from the R6 and competes with the R5C we shoot with. The Sigma is still a killer lens if you're on crop.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have a Canon Macro Lense EF 100mm 1:2.8 USM that is throwing an Err 01. I've done the whole remove and reinstall the lens, camera on/off, clean the contacts and it's still not resolving. I have 2 other lenses that are working fine on the camera. From an earlier issue with the same error at work I am imagining that it could be the power aperture which with part+labor was a $350 repair.

Googling led me to uscamera.com as a parts source and this video as a walkthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfSYivVHpfU

Watching this video makes me think I should probably not attempt it myself and just fork out the money but maybe everyone here is like "oh yeah you can totally do that, we've all done it, JUMP OFF THE CLIFF WITH US :v:"

So uh what say you Dorkroomers?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

I have a Canon Macro Lense EF 100mm 1:2.8 USM that is throwing an Err 01. I've done the whole remove and reinstall the lens, camera on/off, clean the contacts and it's still not resolving. I have 2 other lenses that are working fine on the camera. From an earlier issue with the same error at work I am imagining that it could be the power aperture which with part+labor was a $350 repair.

Googling led me to uscamera.com as a parts source and this video as a walkthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfSYivVHpfU

Watching this video makes me think I should probably not attempt it myself and just fork out the money but maybe everyone here is like "oh yeah you can totally do that, we've all done it, JUMP OFF THE CLIFF WITH US :v:"

So uh what say you Dorkroomers?

So that’s not the L version? You could pick up an new (used) one for less than $350.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BetterLekNextTime posted:

So that’s not the L version? You could pick up an new (used) one for less than $350.

That's correct, I didn't realize the used market would be at that price, probably because google tricked me into thinking the price for the L version was the one I had. Reason I didn't know the purchase price is this was a gift to me (short version of the story).

What used sellers do you recommend? I see amazon has one left right now on the canon store that's used.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Check MPB

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I've got an old t2i that I haven't used in forever but I'm getting the photography bug again. The camera is on the fritz so I'm looking to upgrade. What should I be looking for in Canon in 2023? I have some lenses that I don't think are compatible with mirrorless, but that's where it seems everything is headed. I'm primarily looking to bring it hiking with me so size and weight is somewhat of a factor, but I used to hike with the t2i all the time so it's not a dealbreaker. I'm strictly a hobbyist too - I never really felt limited by the t2i so I don't feel the need to jump up to a 5d or whatever the current top of the line camera is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're looking for new, I'd go mirrorless. All your EF or EF-S lenses can be used on canon mirrorless with a $100 adapter.

Canon has a pretty good lineup of RF bodies now, something is out there should fit your needs/budget. Scope out the R10 or the R50.

If you don't care about new the options open up a lot. Still depends on what your budget is.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Oh that’s nice, a $100 adapter makes that switch a lot more palatable. I don’t have any problem buying used, I was browsing the Canon refurb site earlier but that’s when I realized I knew nothing about their lineup anymore. As for budget I’m not really sure… under $1k? Or I can save some more and bump that up. The t2i still works for now, but the shutter has started sticking and the autofocus can be hit or miss. I did find a new used 80D for $588 earlier, but that would keep me in the dslr realm.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 12, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As a former 80D owner, it's a pretty good camera if you stay within its comfort zone. The only issue I had with it was trying to do action, it's ability to lock on a target is not great. I did a lot of motorsport panning with it and got pretty frustrated. Wildlife was even worse.

If you don't mind staying DSLR, look at any of the 5D bodies. You can get a used mk4 for under $1k (barely) at this point and it's a great all rounder.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

A 7D Mark II is a good pick (IMO) with an EF-S mount. The value of that depends on what your lens lineup is, but it’s worth considering if you’ve got a few. ##D’s and T#i’s are generally good too, but when the old flagships are as affordable as they are now, I’d say scoop one of those up instead.

Whatever way you go, I’d check out MPB. Lots of inventory and good prices. You can definitely go under your budget if you’re OK with another DSLR.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
You have a few options:
1. Stick with a APS-C DSLR like you already had. Advantages here are you know what you're getting, there's lot of deals to be had once you get past the people who bought a T3i ten years ago and believe it's only lost $50 in value, and there's a ton of lenses that work well and they can be fairly affordable. Disadvantages are that they're big/heavy and not really being upgraded any more.

2. EF-M Mirrorless (M50). Advantages here are its an APS-C and will work with all your current lenses with a ~$100 adapter and also can use a handful of EF-M native lenses, some of which (ex. 22mm f/2 and 32mm F/1.4) are really awesome. Downsides are that we've almost certainly seen the last EF-M bodies released.

3. RF-S Mirrorless. The new APS-C hotness. Similar advantages as EF-M, but a little pricier. They also still haven't built out the RF-S lens portfolio much so those cool EF-M lenses I mentioned above don't exist (yet?). Also, Canon has locked down RF so auto-focus 3rd party lenses aren't much of a thing (yet?).

4. RF Full frame. If you have some full frame glass already the Rp can be had for a similar price to the crop sensor cameras above and other bodies for not that far out of you budget used/refurbed. The full frame RF lens portfolio has some budget-priced gems (50mm F/1.8, 16 F/2.8) and of course all the EF glass mounts with an adapter. I believe EF-S lenses will automatically crop as well, so you're experience using those will be similar to what you'd get on an RF-S body but with less resolution.

To me it really depends on what kind of stuff you like to shoot, but if I wasn't so focused on wildlife and birds I'd move to full-frame RF.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

xzzy posted:

As a former 80D owner, it's a pretty good camera if you stay within its comfort zone. The only issue I had with it was trying to do action, it's ability to lock on a target is not great. I did a lot of motorsport panning with it and got pretty frustrated. Wildlife was even worse.

I'm currently using the 80D for most birds and everyday snapshots and I haven't had any problems with it, though I did upgrade from a T5i (well, Kiss X7i :japan:) so it's not like I know any better. v:v:v

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
If you do any sort of wildlife the eye tracking on the R series is a game changer, in general you can just stop worrying about focus for the most part

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
This is all really helpful - thanks. The more I read and think about it, the more I think mirrorless is the right move. They seem pretty nifty, and the vast majority of the time I’ll be hiking, so the weight and size savings would be pretty big. I pretty much only shoot landscapes and pictures of my dog, but I'd love to be able to get any cool wildlife I see when I'm out.

I was reading about the R7 and R8 last night and they both seem like solid options, but I’d probably lean towards the R7. Having IBIS, a better battery, and I know it’d work with my lenses. My lenses are nothing fancy, a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4, and a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8, but I think only the Sigma will work on a full frame body, yeah?

It is pretty shocking the prices you can get a 5D or 7D used for though...

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Full frame R series cameras can mount crop lenses, but they will reduce your megapixel count by the crop factor.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

yoohoo posted:

I was reading about the R7 and R8 last night and they both seem like solid options, but I’d probably lean towards the R7. Having IBIS, a better battery, and I know it’d work with my lenses. My lenses are nothing fancy, a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4, and a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8, but I think only the Sigma will work on a full frame body, yeah?

It is pretty shocking the prices you can get a 5D or 7D used for though...

EF 50mm F/1.4 is a full frame lens.

Older DSLR models has gotten very cheap, but most of it is significantly outperformed by mirrorless stuff for not that much more.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
That certainly makes the R8 a lot more enticing. Does Canon still offer a discount for trading in your old camera like they used to?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

yoohoo posted:

That certainly makes the R8 a lot more enticing. Does Canon still offer a discount for trading in your old camera like they used to?

I haven't heard much about it lately, but I believe it still does exist. It's called the "Canon Loyalty Program" so throw that term into a search engine and you should get some more info. I believe it's some percentage off of refurbished cameras so check the Canon refurb site to see what's in stock.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yoohoo posted:

This spring they had extra rebates on new gear with a trade in, but I’m not sure if that’s still going. I think this was different than the loyalty program which I think is not going anymore.

The newest models might not be hitting yet, but there have been some stupid good prices in the refurbished store recently. At some point a refurb R6 was like $1300 which is half-off when it launched.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

yoohoo posted:

That certainly makes the R8 a lot more enticing.

One thing I would note is that the R series cameras have a shorter battery life than the old DSLR cameras. I don't have an R7 or R8, but my R5 uses the same (larger) battery as the R7 and I've got an RP that uses the same (smaller) battery as the R8. I don't think I've ever run out battery power using something like a 7D or Rebel, and the big battery on the R5 will hold up for a good two hours of constant, heavy use. The smaller battery that the RP/R8 both uses seems to die surprisingly quickly, though. I don't know if that's likely something that will bother you, but it's something to consider.

Also the IBIS is really nice. You obviously won't miss it if you've never used it, but once you get used to having it, it's really difficult to do without in certain circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can get upwards of 1500 shots on an R7 on one battery (burst high FPS, but still). There's a lot of little tricks that can get you 30-50% more shots per battery on these. The main thing is that the EVF uses significantly more battery than the LCD which is counterintuitive. Also, high refresh rate on the LCD sucks battery.