Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It's probably not an issue with the lens. I've had similar problems with the RF 100-400 and the RF 70-200 2.8

Duade Paton has done a few videos on the subject including this one where he got a response from Canon, demonstrates the issue with the RF 100-500, and goes over a few possibly helpful settings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsmY4f1J0t8

Personally I have the back AF button set to single point/single shot focus and the DOF button on the front to do full frame eye detection and usually tapping one of those or just slightly moving the camera to mix up the autofocus points will do the trick. Rarely if it's off by a lot it will just refuse to try and refocus the subject and I have to manually get the subject into focus, and then it will stay locked on

I also wonder if turning off eye detection might help in your particular situation as it may have a tendency to see the small black rocks in the background as eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I have had at least a few completely missed shots where the R7 + RF 70-200 2.8 (and RF 100-400) focused on the background behind the subject when a) subject detection put a square directly over the blurry subject I was pointing at, servo marked it as locked, and it started taking shots as if it were in focus and then b) pressing back button single shot focus where the point displayed on the screen was completely inside of the blurry subject yet the camera continued to focus on the background and act as though it had autofocused successfully

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

Yes, this is exactly what it's doing! Nice to know it's not my lens and it's not me going crazy.

I played around with it more today and setting to single point/single shot does help a lot. It's a shame that the detection/tracking is so unreliable seeing as that's the entire reason I bought it, but oh well, it's a learning curve I guess?

I'll say that completely whiffing a shot has been fairly rare, with focus pulsing being a bit less so. Can't speak from experience but what I've seen online is that these issues are more prevalent on third party EF-adapted lenses

Someone can correct me here, but my understanding is that it's still using discrete autofocus points and subject detection is really just selecting which points to use. It seems to me like sometimes it's selecting enough points that are just around the subject that when the background comes into focus it decides "this is good enough that it's not worth hunting around more". Usually if I just quickly pick a point the same distance as the subject (or manually refocus) it will then see the subject in focus and correctly track it

Single point/single shot back button focus is definitely a lot more consistent and preferable if the subject isn't moving though

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Some interesting new lenses just announced:

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf-s10-18mm-f4-5-6-3-is-stm

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf200-800mm-f6-3-9-is-usm

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/rf24-105mm-f2-8-l-is-usm-z

Glad to see the 200-800 is weather resistant at least (and also comes with a lens hood lol). Even if it's just RF 100-400 image quality with double the reach I think I'm sold. 4.5 lbs is really pushing handholdability though

Fellatio del Toro fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 2, 2023

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Has there been any news on third party stuff since they that announcement where they just kinda said "we'd be willing to look at applications for RF licensing"?

I'm really not holding out on any third party lenses being allowed on RF other than a few nonstandard ones that don't directly compete with any Canon lenses

Of course, that Tamron 35-150 is probably the one I'm most interested in so maybe I'll get lucky there

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

google is showing other people have had the same issue with the Tamron + Canon Extender

probably something Canon would need to fix, but they're obviously dicks about third party lenses

I imagine the only solution would be using a Tamron EF extender

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

They didn't open it, only said that they were willing to accept applications for licensing the mount

I would not hold my breath on them approving anything other than a few weird third party lenses that don't undercut their lineup

(hopefully that Tamron 35-150)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

the R8 is currently on sale for $1099 refurbished which is a hell of a sensor if you can stretch it a bit

the RP is also on sale for $899

if you do want to stick with ASPC I'd still recommend keeping an eye on Canon Price Watch over the next few days as Canon tends to put out refurb sale stuff in waves