Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's a realistic price for a used R6 in decent condition? I'm checking sold ebay listsings and they vary wildly between like $1k to basically MSRP. Is it safe to say the lower end of that is scams? Is it even worth it looking for a used one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Canon and B&H often have refurbs and mpb has used starting at $2300. I’d look very suspiciously at anything below $2k
Great, thanks. That seems like a horrible deal then when the a new one is $2.5k though :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I already lost the lottery on the M50, it was a gray import from the local craigslist, but I got it together with the 32mm 1.4 for less than the camera cost by itself so I'm still ahead. The warrany would've been out by now anyway.

Still, considering that, I'd want a more significant saving than a hundred or two to risk anything like that again :) I guess these prices are part of the overall tech shortage and inflation.

E:

An R6 body here costs $2900 (incl VAT) so that's not bad. But am I crazy for considering the R too at this point? I got the impression that it wasn't great at MSRP but that's a pretty huge discount. Maybe even with the lens...

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 26, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just gonna double post because holy poo poo I psyched myself up to spend a lot of money on a toy carmera and went to finally buy it and.. it's not possible. It would just fail with no clear explanation at the payment stage, no matter what combination of processor and cards I used. I even creates a new bank account and got a virtual card and it still wouldnt work.

Eventually one combination revealed that they can't process a non-US card address and the support confirmed that's it's not possible.

I guess future-me will thank them for all the compound interest this money will be accruing instead.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo I got to handle the R6 in a store and it's absolutley enormous compared to my M50. Failing to buy it might be for the better because gently caress me I wouldn't want to travel with it the way I do. It, and the RF glas, is very nice though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

This kills the EF-M.

Thanks, I'm not following the rumors that closely so I had no idea this was coming. I'd actually be kind of sad if this really kills of the M mount for good, the cameras with the 22 and 32 primes were really pretty amazing and it's great to have EF compatibility with a cheap adapter too. So I'm not really sure what's supposed to be the benefit of creating a new system but we'll see soon enough I suppose.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BetterLekNextTime posted:

R7 and R10 are officially announced now. Am I crazy for actually considering flipping my R6 for an R7 (I use it exclusively for wildlife)? I'd definitely want to check one out in person to see if I can stand the camera controls and screen, and I guess I'd have to get over using it at ridiculously high ISO.

Please send me your R6. I wasn't able to get Canon to sell me one.

The new cameras do look nice but not something I'd be into I think. At APS-C I think I'd rather stick with the EM-M for the travel size. Did Canon comment on that at all? Is the system dead?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, there's an R6 II coming out soon! That's a pretty quick turnaround, I wasn't really expecting it. New sensor apparently? Anyway, I'm sure it's better but I might consider the Mk1 if there are any sales or discounts. In the end I chickened out on buying it this spring at almost the original price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWuUjDvHr_0

Aaanyway, I'm going to have to DIY a shutter replacement on my M50 because I've been forced to shoot in electronic shutter mode and it blows. There's apparently only one place that will do it here and they want almost as much as the camera is worth at this point so it's going to be a fun experiment.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

melon cat posted:

Whoh this news snuck under my radar. It's only a slight improvement over the R6 Mk1 but it seems to be a worthy update.

At this point what I'd really like is the Mk2 in APS-C format and I'd be all :getin:
The huge size put me off getting the Mk1 a bit as a travel camera. Though not as much as paying almost the full price for a refurbished camera earlier this year lol.

It seems like there's an updated initial review with image samples: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r6-mark-ii-initial-review
and it's showing up on Amazon for $2800 with the crappy kit lens: https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-Mark-RF24-105mm-F4-7-1/dp/B0BL7X3KLV/

mobby_6kl posted:

Aaanyway, I'm going to have to DIY a shutter replacement on my M50 because I've been forced to shoot in electronic shutter mode and it blows. There's apparently only one place that will do it here and they want almost as much as the camera is worth at this point so it's going to be a fun experiment.
I think... it's a success?

mobby_6kl posted:

Anyway, I finally stopped procrastinating the shutter replacement on my M50 yesterday as it was a public holiday. It's got to be the worst possible repair because you have to remove every single sub-assembly to get to it, of which there are maaany. Just insane amount of manual assembly required to put this together compared to something like a phone or even a laptop.

Other than one little latch on the flash housing that held me back for like half an hour as I triple-checked that I removed all the screws, it wasn't too bad taking it apart. Until I realized that I can't find my permanent market to mark the position of screws on the sensor board (to retain the focus alignment)
I finished the job yesterday (other than putting on the outer covers) and it's working! You only need the tools that you see here and a lot of patience but it's possible to DIY a shutter replacement. The only sketchy part was removing the sensor, as it uses the screws to adjust the focus plane so you have to be very careful to put it back exactly as it was. I used a permanent marker to mark how many rotations the screws took. It seems that it was close enough at least that I can't see anything wrong.

I used this part, but it was $70 when I bought it lol. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000931858376.html

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That Sigma does look great. I took the 70-200 on a recent trip and it's frustrating that even the birds that were actually very close, like right theeere, won't fill the frame. Not super into birding but seems like a good idea for any kind of wildlife stuff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There are two new 24mp cameras that I only heard about because there's an article on arstechnica (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...comments-page=1)

There's an APS-C R50 which is the RF equivalent of the M50, as I understand.
And an actual full-frame R8 with that will do 4k @60fps among other things, but no IBIS :argh:

And to address the obvious issue of lenses to go with your $500 camera, there will be new cheaper RF glass too. There are reviews I haven't watched yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N83GVsCb7qo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FblfMaQksiY

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok just watched the reviews.

I really like my M50 for traveling but if I were to drop cash to upgrade within that class, I'd definitely want better controls even though it's kind of serviceable.

Last year I almost bought a refurb R6 if only Canon let me buy it with a non-American CC/billing address. But I was pretty happy I didn't once I went to play with one IRL. It's kind of huge compared to the m50 and not convenient for traveling. A thousand bucks less in a smaller body might be something that's just the right amount of compromises :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm often traveling light (like literally just a 20l backpack) so the tripod doesn't always make it. In-lens IS is good (or better?) but both is best, from what I've seen. And some of my lenses don't have IS because it doesn't exist or would be a significant increase in cost (looking at you 70-200).

I've survived without IBIS so far but it's a bummer a $1500 camera doesn't have it and makes me question that upgrade path.

The R50 is a direct replacement for my M50 but is still requires a new mount (and no ibis anyway).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Well if R8 had IBIS and little better viewfinder plus some more small stuff then it literally would be R6, no?
Yes but for like an extra grand and more bulk/weight.

All I want is a perfect camera :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

I'd maybe get that RF 70-200 F4 but I hate that it is white
:frogout:

I'm kind of itching to upgrade from my M50 and a bunch of EF and EF-M glass but uhh that's almost too much :effort:

As I posted in the gear thread though I'll be in Japan soon so maybe playing around with the stuff in person (and with lower than EU prices) will get me over the edge.