Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
A Strange Mix of Features: the Canon Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

TheAngryDrunk posted:

It might even have the dual pixel AF.

It will have the focusing system from the 6D, but without the extra low light sensitivity.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

TomR posted:

So has anyone been able to handle a 5Ds and write a review of it or is it all people saying how great it should be based on speaking to a Canon marketing person?

We can only wait for Canon to accidentally give one to DigitalRev.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Of the lenses originally listed, get the Sigma 18-35mm, assuming you're not planning to suddenly splurge on a FF body as well. I have the 35/1.4 and wish I had the 18-35mm instead, as someone who likely won't have a FF body any time soon. The quality is supposedly roughly the same, and I rarely find the need for the extra aperture, certainly no more than I'd want the extra wideness.

With the nifty fifty and the Sigma you cover roughly the same range as the tamron, and a bag that can fit two non-pancake lenses isn't much more than a camera with one zoom lens.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

The little printed bit of metal that has the modes printed on it just fell off the mode dial for no apparent reason.

Nice durability there, Canon.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Damnit forgot to bring my good camera strap to use with my rented 7DII.

This focus system is CRAZY poo poo. WHAT ARE ALL THESE SETTINGS.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

It definitely needs that many pages to explain everything. It's pretty intuitive for basic stuff though, and makes me think I could probably deal with the 70D not having a joystick/expansion mode changer, since I basically just left it on 8-point expansion the entire time and used the dials to move around rather than the stick.

I don't understand how live view focus works on it at all--the default face detect mode is basically completely batshit insane without faces in frame and the other modes seem kind of wonky about how you move around/change the focus area size/zoom in. I don't really care though, since the viewfinder AF selection is excellent, and without the tilty screen I'm used to it's annoying to try and manually focus/compose when AF is being dumb.

Took me forever to find the exposure indicator in the viewfinder though, since it has the same one as the 60D but only if you explicitly enable it and then only in auto exposure modes like Av or Tv. There's a second one on the side that always shows up but isn't labelled at all.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

dakana posted:

Man, all I ever see on my Craigslist are people selling 4+ year old entry-level bodies at 4+ year old retail prices.

Guess I know what to do with my 60D.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

If anyone has used both, is the 70D sensor the same as the 7Dii as far as high ISO performance goes? I'm reconsidering switching to another system, since the 7Dii I rented looks good enough at ISO 3200, and while having more than that would be nice, the 70D isn't that expensive and I wouldn't have to learn much in the way of new controls/pay more to convert lenses.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

They're basically identical. Why do you have to convert lenses? They're both EF-S.

I'm considering switching to Sony or Nikon for better low light performance, and I only have Sigma lenses anyway.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

If you're after better low light performance, think about a 6D instead of a 70D. Going full frame makes a big difference.

I don't really want to go back to only having one useful AF point. I don't know why Canon couldn't have at least put more than one cross type point in there. I also do use the flippy screen enough that I'd miss it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Chiming in to bitch about something falling off my Canon. The little round label fell off the mode dial on my <1year old 6D a few days ago. Superglued it back on with no problem, but just glad I saw when it fell off.

Hey, 60D too!

The superglue has also gotten into the lock mechanism and disabled it somehow.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

At least a dog didn't eat your nifty fifty.

What do you expect after it just falls on the floor like a piece of food?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

pseudonordic posted:

What's the thread consensus on which wireless shutter remote to use?

Be like me and buy the Nikon one accidentally.

It worked poorly.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Clearly I should put my slightly damaged 60D (alternately, enhanced to remove the stupid mode select lock 60D) back on Amazon Marketplace.

I do miss all the identical spam messages asking to buy it outside Amazon's payment system.

The 7Dii is still a bit of a learning curve. That AF system is crazyballs.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

ArcMage posted:

Hello from four or five years ago. I'm considering, uh, cross-grading, I guess, from a T2i to a 50D.

Not a 60D primarily due to cost, but also because I want the alloy body. The switch motivated by that, and by the extra control surfaces; full manual on rebels is annoying.

What flaws are there in my reasoning? I have a 20Dfor backup at the moment because I bought it for three beers, and I honestly like it a lot, but it's definitely an elderly platform.

Is there a different model I could be looking at? I mostly shoot while stumbling around in the woods, and my T2i has eaten too many trees and gone for too many swims, so I think every little bit might help.

IIRC the only thing the 60D added was some extra ISO options at the high range that aren't worth using and the flippy screen, which is useful but not a killer. If you did want that I'd say the 70D would be a much better option for having a touchscreen and a better AF system.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

geeves posted:

But that new camera smell :allears:

Just like burning money!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Ryand-Smith posted:

Question for the canon modern crop sensor cameras. I have an old 40D that served very well, but now I'm looking to upgrade. I can't afford the 2-3K for full frame everything (why are full frame lenses so expensive)(not this year, next year 5dmk2 time), but for now, I'd like a never body, and I was comparing the 7D to the 70D, and I was wondering, which exactly is better, I mean both by being relativity recent cameras will be better than my 6+ year old 40D, but which is a better jumping off point.

70D has the 7D's AF system AND DPAF/flippy screen/wifi. It's not magnesium and has one less FPS but who cares. It doesn't have a nipple/joystick controller which may matter more if you're used to a 40D.

I'm very sad I have a 60D instead.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

timrenzi574 posted:

You can always get a loupe for the rear lcd and look like a huge dork

You can just zoom the LCD image though...

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Seamonster posted:

Just get a used 60D. You learn how to use real dSLR controls and have the convenience of cheap SD cards.

Buy mine. It's only slightly broken, but broken in a useful way! (Who cares about the mode dial lock, really?)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

timrenzi574 posted:

I think the joystick loss would be a bigger deal with a more complex AF system (even on the 70D it's a bit of a chore) but with the 11pt system on the 6D it feels like nbd at all. It's a vast improvement over Canon's old system of "hit button, use both wheels to move l/r u/d" at any rate. That poo poo was a huge hassle on bodies with a lot of points.

Ironically this is what I ended up preferring when I rented the 7DII. I'm not sure I used the joystick much at all.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

I did, they seem to all have that circle vignetting. I just can't seem to find a lens that's fisheye/wide angle, less than 11mm, that doesn't have that stupid circle, even the 8-15mm canon lens apparently does it. It's this thing

I red a ton of articles about different lenses and they all seem to do that vignetting unless you're using an APS-C sensor.

I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Go figure, apparently there is a 10mm rectilinear full frame lens, but it's only available for E mount and costs $1.1k.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Thin Privilege is the best and weirdest troll.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Eh, 6d2 looks like exactly what I'd want. Full frame, usable AF (compared to the joke system on the 6d1) with a low light center point, decent burst, tilty flippy screen, etc. I have little desire to take video since shooting video at concerts requires a proper audio setup also, and gently caress all that. My main gripe is that they're still stuck on the ergo split that they started after the 50d of not including a joystick on anything other than the pro models. The improved AF points are jack poo poo when you have to navigate them with garbage controls.

On the other hand, there's an AF point button, and honestly when I used the 7d2 I ended up using a workflow like that anyway (AF button to switch to point select, then wheels to select a point) rather than the various joystick nubs, so w/e. Failing that, the touchscreen DPAF looks good even if it will probably eat battery, but that's not a huge concern for me since I'm usually doing 2-3 hour sessions.

Arguably I should probably switch to Sony (if I'm going to spend in the neighborhood of $2k on a body, why not), but this actually looks like something I would consider buying as a body upgrade.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

dakana posted:

on the 6d1 you can set AF selection to the multidirectional pad inside the wheel

This works because the 6D/60D only have as many focus points as there are directions on the wheel (including the Set button). It fails if you have more than 7 AF points, though you could select zones I suppose. I'm not sure how well that would work for me, since I typically need to focus on a very small area with both a busy foreground and background, and I'm not confident on zone AF not selecting the thing I don't want. Experience with the 60D tells me that its phase AF is likely to choose the thing I don't care about (hey, a nearby microphone grill or somesuch! I love focusing on things with contrasty patterns, set focus to that instead of the mostly smooth face next to it!), and I figure zone AF would work similarly even if one point within it covers the thing I actually care about.

Continuing to use point AF would presumably solve this problem, but requires switching between focus/shoot mode and select point mode, which is what I did when I had a 7D2 briefly. Works well enough but isn't ideal. On the other hand, it's not like I truly have instant point selection with the button-corresponds-to-point option on the 60D either, since it has an annoying quirk where it will only actually change the point if you've recently done something else, e.g. tried to focus or meter. If you just press a button on the pad without having recently performed some other action, it does jack poo poo. Maybe later models have fixed this.

Point AF and tracking would presumably also help if tracking is decent, but makes composition using the entirety of the frame hard.

Edit: is there a way to access AF point data in Lightroom? I know it exists because view mode on the camera will show the point the camera focused on in AI servo, but I don't know if that's accessible without whatever Canon has baked into their firmware for handling their proprietary data. It'd be useful for learning AF system quirks if I started using tracking AF rather than mostly focus/recompose/pray.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

It's a shame, because I really would like that extra low light center focus point. Having the flippy screen was just a nice bonus on top of the rest of the focus system no longer being garbage, but then Canon happened.