Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
Does anybody recall how often the Canon refurb bodies go on sale and what kind of discount is typical during the sale? I'm thinking about a 7d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They've been on sale for over a week:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_260463_-1?WT.mc_id=C126149

In stock, 15% of normal refurb price, $1019.

Thanks, I'm on a mobile and canons site looks like rear end.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

God drat it, I just had a paralyzing moment. I was within 10 minutes of buying a refurb 7d and now I am thinking of a refurb 5dmk2.

I'd like to do portrait work, some macro work, and maybe even some landscape stuff, and everything I've read says that full frame is the way to go.

I don't have the cash for the 5dmk3 now, am I going to be kicking myself in the rear end for getting the mk2? Am I correct that the pq is not *significantly* better on the mk3?

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Chitin posted:

Do you plan on doing any video? If yes, the mk3 is a pretty clear winner.

Honestly, video isn't a consideration. This would be used exclusively for stills.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Save a bit more and get a 6D when they hit the refurb store this summer. :getin:

You get a much less bulky body than the 5D line, 5DIII-like image and video quality, the newer iFCL metering, replaceable focusing screen for manually focusing lenses faster than f/2.5, Wi-Fi is neat for studio work, and it's not EOL like the 5DII.

You might miss the AF point selection joystick if you're used a body that has one, but otherwise you probably won't notice it missing.

edit: But really you'll probably be fine with a 7D.

The CL price for the 6D is as low as $1300, so I'm hoping that the refurb price at the Canon store will be in the $1500 range when on sale and available.

Given the reviews I have seen, the 6D looks perfect. The only reservations I have are based on it's ergo, I have long fingers and smaller camera's are fatiguing. I'll go fondle one at the local camera shop before proceeding.

Thanks for the suggestions.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Another stupid question RE: 6D.

I am kind of curious what most people with Canon's do to get their photos off their cameras. I'm coming from the Nikon world with a D70 (fantastic camera for its time), and I used Nikon Transfer and Nikon View to handle the photo transfers from CF card into a temp directory, rename images with date/location specific file names, and transfer the photos from a single shoot into a new subdirectory.

Most of the stuff I have seen associated with Canon seems to involve the use of Silverlight (blarg), what do most people do to get their originals on to their storage medium before doing post process via LR and/or PS?

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

mearn posted:

I just insert my card into a reader and import everything off the card through Lightroom.

Can Lightroom handle the batch filename conversions? One of the things that was nice about using the older software that I was using was that I could assign sequenced complex filenames to 300+ photos with a single command, just curious how I will need to modify my workflow.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Inf posted:

Well, when you're using Lightroom, that kinda IS your workflow with respect to fiddling with source files. Since adopting LR a few years ago I have not worried/cared about what any of the files were named because it was all purely transparent to me. Even when I export, I have custom naming schemes for different projects that have no dependence on the original file names.

I would not buy Lightroom just to import photos, that would be silly. You can use your shell (Windows Explorer/Mac OS whatever) to copy/paste files directly from the flash card when you plug your camera in and carry on dealing with files as you're accustomed. Lightroom is pretty badass, though, if you take the time to become fully proficient with it. LR4 is going on sale in a lot of places right now because LR5 is on the horizon, so it may be a good time to buy if you want to save some cash.

Also, maybe you've already covered this, but I'm curious why you're considering a 6D if you're already invested in Nikon equipment? Most people (myself, a satisfied 6D user included) would say "just get a D600." There have been times in the past when switching to Canon made sense, but I don't really think now is one of them, especially if you're only interested in shooting stills, as you mentioned in an earlier post.

I've not dicked aroud with LR that much as I don't own it. I have a feeling I am stuck or somewhat limited in my thinking in that I have always had certain inefficient ways of handling workflow. I'll try LR out and see if I can get over my bad habits.

I've always had access to various levels of Canon equipment through friends, work associates, and professional contacts. As strange as it sounds, the Canon stuff feels better in my hands, there is something about the ergo that seems to be different and better than with the Nikon stuff I have used. And I don;t have a significant investment in Nikon other than the top of the line Nikon speedlight so it really isn't that much of a leap. Better to do the jump now than after I have any decent Nikon glass.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Is it just me or is the Canon refurb site down? I honestly can't tell because I have been busy ripping adware and virus poo poo off my computer. That is the last time I let somebody else use it.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

outcast_p posted:

It is surely acting strange. If I go to the link I have for the refurb cameras directly it just hangs, but if I go to http://shop.usa.canon.com/ and click cameras/refurbs it works just like normal.

Thanks for confirming, at least it's not just me.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

In a way, I wish Canon would go ahead and offer refurbed 6Ds. In another way, I hope they hold off as I don't have the cash for one at this point. Anybody have a guess what the price will be on a 6D refurb? I'm hoping about the same as a 5DMKII, but that might be a bit optimistic.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

At this point I have to spend more on the ring than all of my combined L-glass' value, right? That only seems right to me.

Can't comment on that (given I have no idea how much you have invested in glass), but that sounds just about as reasonable as DeBeers suggesting 2 months salary as a guideline for a ring. gently caress off DeBeers, my wife was smart not to expect a five figure ring purchase, I would have given her a five finger wave were that the expectation.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Are the lines described in the OP still valid? Thread is a year and a half old, and I have no idea how fast equipment is released as a general rule.

I'm considering a camera purchase and will be moving to Canon. Specifically of interest to me is an entry level full frame body, and I'm wondering if the 6d is still the best Canon option.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

iSheep posted:

6D is best option if you are on a budget and want full frame.

If rough English doesn't bother you, this guy does some not so technical comparisons of the 6d, 5dmk3, and 7dmk2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJb5Cjdw3KA

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Only things steering me away from a 6d at this point are the AF points and body construction. Given this is my first full frame, I'm thinking the 6d is prob a better choice with a body upgrade later, but I need to check refurb prices on both to see what the price diff is now. Last time I checked it was approx $800.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Not sure if the thread creator is still around (or cares), but shouldn't the 7D mk II be added to the wonderful OP?