Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wario In Real Life posted:

Reminder that the 7D is a crop sensor. Even with the features listed in the wish list, more than 2k is getting into weary territory for a crop.
Exactly. It'll be expensive because there's no really an alternative outside of nikon, but they can only push so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wait you get VAT+duties on EU imports?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I know this, but I thought them being part of EFTA meant you wouldn't get buttfucked on duties. Oh well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EPICAC posted:

A frustratingly high proportion of bird shots taken with my 60D have slightly missed focus, unless the bird is large, still, and well illuminated :suicide:
Did you take up birding after you got the body? Because any canon person could have told you that's what was going to happen.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Datasmurf posted:

So my friend ended up buying a used 40D from a nice old lady who only drove it on Sundays going to church, but it was just the camera itself, no optics, memory cards or stuff like that. Is the 18-55 viable at all? I haven't used mine in years (bought Sigma's 18-200mm with IS when it was released), so I can't remember how it was. Is it an okay lense for when he get more money to start getting better optics?
If it's got IS you're good to go.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A smug sociopath posted:

Guess that makes me a very, very late adopter, but I'm guessing it's still quite a step up from the 550D. Can't wait to see how my M42 collection fares with the full frame.
Late or not it's still a great still/video machine.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That 75-300 is not stabilized.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Seamonster posted:

But the same sensor? Darn. I was hoping for an improvement so that Canon would give away first gen M's for free.
They'll still pretty much give them away. Look at the price of second/third newest m43 bodies.

The current sensor already has PDAF, so it could still end up being usable.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You don't (MFD is 1.5').

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A 24 or 28 art would be nice too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Where do you live that they have 13 or more months in a year? :psyduck:
In some countries/organisations one part of the compensation package is a bonus month at the end of the year.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

So you finally got a government together eh? :D Paying 57% income tax over here in sunny Sweden, probably even worse than you have to suffer....
Yeah but sweden owns.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If by pretty much perfectly you mean "hope you aren't in a hurry about focus" sure.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

Holy poo poo are all of you just so stupid that you don't realize that sony makes an adapter that HAS AUTOFOCUS, even when you're quoting people who are saying "hey you can use the first party adapter that has full support including autofocus".
You try focus tracking an a7(r if you're into pain and suffering) with an AF adapter and legacy glass, let us know how it goes. Of course it loving works, it doesn't mean you'd actually want it. There's a reason that pic has a grip too: battery life is going to be horrid.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

Somehow, I don't think that the a7's target market includes sports/bird photographers.
Clearly the only users who demand decent af performance.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Adding to 50 vs. 85 chat, I've got a trip to Iceland planned in a couple months and I want to get a new lens before I go. Right now the lenses I have are the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC and the Canon 50 1.8. I probably won't be shooting many (if any) portraits over there, but for closeups/DOF, am I going to want to upgrade to the Canon 50 1.4 or the Canon 85 1.8? I'll have landscapes covered with the wide end of my Tamron. I've read reviews on the 50 1.4 vs. the 85 1.8 and they both seem like great lenses in the same price range, but I haven't been able to tell which would be the better buy.
I'd get neither and go for a 35/2 IS. 85/1.8 is really kinda tight on APS-C, and if you're not shooting portraits that's half the use case gone.
If you want something longer I'd grab a EF-S zoom.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I already owned a 35/2 a few years ago and wasn't happy with its speed or the quality of the images it produced. It was the non IS model, but still. Going into it, I thought that would be an ideal length and I'd use that as my primary walkaround lens. Instead I ended up selling it after like a month.
The old one is lovely so that's no surprise. I'd rent the new one for a bit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rio posted:

All the original stuff that came with the camera and 5 batteries for 500 bucks.
That's a drat good deal

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Canon's considering ditching the P&S camera business.
To nobody with a clue's surprise. It's low margin to begin with, and a phone's always better to share stuff (what 99% of people want to do with their pictures).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Claw Massage posted:

Has anyone actually dropped a "plastic" dslr body and broken it? People talk like they are made of crackers or something. Maybe someone has, but I've never known of it.
When I dropped my d90+70-200 the body was completely fine but the mount screws got pulled out of their holes. Those tiny screws/threads will let go long before polycarbonate does.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rcman50166 posted:

The announcement is supposed to be in either April, May, or June.
It's veering towards "duke nukem forever" levels.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mightaswell posted:

Yeah I hate on Canon quite a bit, but the 7D is the D300 nikon never got
what do you mean?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

JacobRyan posted:

Upon further investigation and the interrogation of my friend, they admitted to placing the lens in the same compartment that held an "empty" bottle that had milk in it. My question to you fine folks since I'm on my own for this repair, since said friend is being a douche and refusing to help fund the repair
Get other friends.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Consumer-grade bodies don't. For example a D5200 has buffer for 8 shots RAW
FYI the camera starts writing FIFO to the card as soon as you start shooting, so by the time you've written 8 raws to the cache, half of them are already out (probably mroe with a good card).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Things like whether the battery holds a charge aren't easy to test. Wife still loves her 500d to shoot our baby, so I'm sure you'll be happy. Get a fast prime at some point (prettier pictures in indoors light).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mclifford82 posted:

If that is incorrect, please let me know. That is my understanding.
That just influences what you see in the smaller finder, not how big it appears to you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tamron AF 24-70mm f/2.8 SP Di USD VC is actually p good. Also yes get a 40/2.8 if you want a light normal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also the 24-105 has hilarious barrel distortion at the wide end

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If she shoots sports on the regular get a 7d. They're like 850 bucks now too.
Also the 7d VF is basically a full frame one, just a half a stop darker or so (100% coverage and high magnification).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 22, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

I was going to go with the 35mm f/1.4 to go with my not-yet-purchased 6D, but is this deal good enough that I should jump on it? I'm a sucker for deals :(
You should get the Sigma 35/1.4 or the canon 35/2 IS.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you buy the canon 35/1.4 you are a straight up idiot at this point.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

I think this means, "Buy the Sigma 35/1.4 ART" right?

It means:

evil_bunnY posted:

You should get the Sigma 35/1.4 or the canon 35/2 IS.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Seamonster posted:

I want to know what kind of arcane magic Sigma is using to get such awesome wide open sharpness. Is their glass that much better? Improvements in the optical formula? There are 2 other theories as well: they're actually designing the lenses for even wider apertures than what is being advertised but pre-emptively "stopping down" to avoid the common issues of actually being wide open. Or, less likely, they're designing for a larger-than-necessary image circle (like a tilt-shift lens that doesn't tilt or shift) and thereby get to use the sharpest center potion of that circle :tinfoil:
The APS-C 30/1.4 is blatantly designed for a larger circle. It barely vignettes on full frame. The 35/1.4 is a lot of (exotic) elements. So's the 50, but in its case it's mostly that everyone else hasn't bothered trying to make a really good one. The newest Nikon 50 and 85 1.4's for example have the exact same issues (and resolving power) as the 1.8 models.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bisticles posted:

5D3 ISO800 f/1.4 1/40sec

1:1 crop
Mutt owner hi5! I'm going to have to get one.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Laserface posted:

am I better off buying the 28 f2.8 with IS or the 28 f1.8 with no IS?

I mean, I already have a super low light lens (nifty fifty), I just want to know if the two perform the same in terms of sharpness. I figure IS is more useful than not having it and having a lower f stop. At least the IS might salvage something the other wouldn't?

Primarily for car and portrait shots.
The 1.8 is old and soft (:quagmire:). If you're not attached to 28mm, which I personally find awkward but you may prefer I'd look at the 35/2 IS. Otherwise the 2.8 ain't bad, just expensive for a 2.8 wide prime.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

I already decided on the Sigma 35mm f/1.4, but that's a good deal.
Hell yes! Report back.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's a mix of slight motion blur, aberrations, and ISO noise. What camera are you using?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I'm using a t3i.
That's 3 years old, and probably why you think your ISO400 is too noisy. The other problems can be solved with post correction (and better glass) and better technique.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you've applied lens correction on that, what appears to be CA on her hand might actually be over-correction. I really like the canon 35/2IS but not so much its price. You can't really go much wider before perspective starts making people look unnatural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

triplexpac posted:

You know, I think you're right. That's something I always battle with, getting the right focus. Comes with practice I guess.

For this kind of portrait stuff I generally use One Shot with a single center AF point. Does that sound right?
You haven't posted the entire photograph, how should we know?

triplexpac posted:

And yeah, getting a 35mm looks like a good next step, I just need to suck it up and spend the money haha. Debating between getting the 35mm prime or maybe a better zoom lens. I don't want to necessarily invest in a ton of lenses for a t3i, I'm sure I'll want to upgrade to a full frame camera down the line if I keep up this hobby.
35/2IS is full frame. So's basically any EF 35.