Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

TheEye posted:

I've been meeting with a few different wedding photographers for my upcoming wedding, and one of them uses a 6D along with the usual primes and zooms. This detail stuck out a bit, since the other Canon photographers I met all used a 5DIII. She specifically mentioned that she used to have a 5DIII too, until she switched to a 6D, preferring the lighter weight.

Is this something I should be concerned about at all, or is it a totally reasonable thing to do for a pro photographer who has to do a lot of moving around every weekend?

Do all of them only use one body? The old "two is one and one is none" rule for weddings is pretty significant. I'd much, much rather have someone carrying around a couple 6D's then a single 5D mark III with no backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Graniteman posted:

50mm would be pretty long for a walkaround lens on APS-C. It's ideal for a portrait lens though. If you want impressive pictures of cats and children with blurred backgrounds you will get them from that lens on a crop sensor.

For that price I'd just get a better standard zoom than the 18-55. The tamron 17-50 is in the gear thread title for a reason, so look at that. If you want a prime, the canon 24 f/2.8 pancake may be good for a "moderate wide angle" similar to the field of view on a cameraphone. I don't think there are any good fast primes in the 35mm range you'd want for a standard prime though. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 wouldn't be bad, especially in low light, but the Tamron is the ideal walk around.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

There's also the Sigma 17-50 OS, which, as I understand it, loses a little bit of sharpness, but adds IS and doesn't have a loud-rear end focus motor. You can pick up the Tamron in "Very Good" condition on Amazon for $250 and the Sigma for $320 in "Like New" condition.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I agree with everyone that used camera bodies can save you a ton of money. My first body was a 20D that cost me $200. Yea, it was a bit behind the times in 2010, but it took great photos and cost 1/5 of what it originally sold it for. I sold it a couple years later for like $125 or something.

One thing I've noticed is that owners of higher end camera (anything in the x0D or range rather than a Rebel) tend to have a more realistic view of resale value. It's not rare to see someone trying to sell the Rebel they paid $600 for a few years ago for $500. To them it was a really expensive camera and must still be worth a lot.

The 1200D/1100D/1000D line of bodies is a big waste of time. You lose a lot of functionality for a little savings and nearly everyone who buys these would be way better off just buying used.

edit: Wow, I really hosed up those model numbers.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 12, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Wow, I really hosed up those model numbers.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

dorkanoid posted:

I have the 400/5.6L, which I assume you meant. Basically, for any day time shooting I'm at 1/1000 to 1/2000 and f/8 anyhow, so I've never missed the IS, and it's sharp as hell on both FF and crop.

The pictures that are blurry, I'm not sure IS would have helped with.

I did test the Sigma 150-500, for what it's worth, and found it sharp around the 300-400mm range, but the sheer convenience of the 400L being 1kg lighter, and even sharper, made the choice easy for me.

(At the time, the 150-600 had just come out, and they had some delivery issues, I believe, so I never got to try one out - I had pre-ordered one, but cancelled when I found a used 400L at the same price point.)

What ISO do you end up shooting at? I'm lucky to get up over 1/500 without having to blow the ISO way over the top most of the time. Yes, if you're shooting at 11am in July in the wide open 1/1000 is no big deal.

On the other hand, if you're trying to shoot in lower light conditions (morning, evening, overcast, wooded areas, etc) things can get pretty tough. 1/1000 of a second is great to shoot for when capturing flying birds or very active ones, but for perched birds you can get away with much lower speeds. Here's a few shots I've taken with my Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary that would have likely not been possible with a non-IS lens.

edit: That said, while I love my 150-600mm it is indeed heavy. It's actually the same length as the 400mm F/5.6 when retracted though so travel isn't much easier with the 400mm.

244mm F/6.3 ISO 1600 1/160 second
Johnson Ridge Sooty Grouse Female by Josh, on Flick

500mm F/7.1 ISO 3200 1/320 second
Johnson Ridge Sooty Grouse Male by Josh, on Flick

600mm F/7.1 ISO 800 1/160 second
Prothonotary Warbler by Josh, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 3, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

n0n0 posted:

What's the consensus on the Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6L? The original can be had for about $1000 used, and it has IS. Between it and the Sigma 150-500, which is the better choice?

Do NOT buy the Sigma 150-500. 150-600mm is the one to buy.

Canon 100-400 Mk I is a nice enough lens, but it is outclassed by the 150-600mm's for similar prices. It is 1.3lbs lighter and quite a bit smaller so if mobility is an issue it can be worth the tradeoff. I wish I'd sold mine before the Mk II came out.

200-500 looks nice, especially the price. Heavier and larger than the Sigma 150-600 though, albeit 1/3 of a stop faster.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 4, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Is there any reason to not pick up the stm version of canons 55-250? Even new it seems like a good deal at $200

Here, have a refurbished one for $117.

If you don't already have a telephoto I'd say buying this for that price is a no-brainer.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Drunk Badger posted:

That isn't the sport version, is it?

There's only one version of the Tamron. Signs has two versions of that focal length. Someone who's not on a tablet should post that to the bird thread.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Drunk Badger posted:

Yeah, I just realized that's not the Sigma version. That would have been too good of a price for the Sigma sport version.

Yea, way too good of price. Still a really good deal for the Tamron, which was already priced competitively at $1050.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

astr0man posted:

So how about those 80D specs

80D existing means the 70D is gonna get cheap. Yay!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Popelmon posted:

How are Canon's point and shoot cameras doing? That seems more like a segment where it is important to reach a younger audience.

timrenzi574 posted:

They still rule what is left of that market, but what's left of that market ain't much

Yea, I have to suspect that the P&S market has lost it's mass market core and what remains are a lot of fringe cases (superzooms, waterproof, high end stuff, etc.) and I doubt many of those appeal to younger audiences. I think Canon is fairly popular in this range, but I don't think they are the best maker in all those areas anymore.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

bull3964 posted:

What's crazy is Canon has 28 point and shoot cameras in their current lineup in 4 different categories. I really don't understand how there can be a large enough market for all of that.

Then again, Nikon has 28 different Coolpix models as well.

Holy poo poo. I would've guessed like 10 models and still would have thought that was overkill. Best thing about Canon's point and shoot's is that you can usually get refurbished last years models for a song.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

deck posted:

Powershot Sex 420 Piss

Mods, name change please.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

xzzy posted:

80d is an extremely good all-rounder. Your biggest problem with it will be it's close to four years old, and you run the risk of Canon announcing a successor next year. Can you resist the urge to upgrade again? :v:

Uhh..

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/dslr/eos-90d-body

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

xzzy posted:

With the quality of the offerings at 600mm from Sigma and Tamron, I'm not sure why anyone would buy the 100-400ii.

I haul my 150-600mm Sigma up 3000ft+ of elevation hikes routinely and would love to trade it for the 100-400mm II. From what I've seen, the II is sharp enough that the extra cropping you need makes minimal difference in what you end up with. Also, I really miss being able to carry my gear in a carry on.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm pretty nervous about not having the camera in a case, since it costs so much. Do I just get any old case that fits it? or should I get one that has space for storing the lenses or whatever?

It's understandable to be nervous with something so expensive, but be aware that DSLR's are incredibly tough. I can't track down the article at the moment, but maybe ten years ago a skydiving photographer dropped an older version of the T7i from many thousands of feet in the air and it survived and (I think) still was able to take photos.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I cannot believe it's TYOOL 2020 and Canon never introduced a cheap EF-S ~30mm F/1.8.

If you're someone who shoots wants to shoot fast and relatively wide lenses, it's drat near cheaper to get a refurb full-frame camera and a nifty-fifty then a new APS-C camera and a fast 30mm.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Infinite Karma posted:

The 50mm is an amazing value and a cool lens, but it's honestly a weird/uncomfortable focal length on a crop sensor, I rarely enjoyed shooting with it until I got a full-frame camera.

Agreed. F/1.8 for $100 is awesome, but its just really tight on a crop.

The good thing about the kit lens and/or 55-250mm is that you can pay attention to how often you shoot at ~55mm and how useful that focal length will be for you.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

xzzy posted:

Yeah I was really hoping to go mirrorless full frame this time around but goddamn that is some sticker shock. My hobbyist grade rear end has a hard time justifying that.

I expected it to be around that high, but was hoping I'd be wrong. :v:

Yea, I've been curious about the R series stuff and was digging in a little bit kind of daydreaming about replacing my 50D with a refurb R or RP. The tech looks cool, and the prices on those bodies aren't even that bad for full frame, but replacing lenses with FF equivalents is pretty insane.

I guess I'll just keep riding the APS-C train and keep an eye out for a cheap 80D.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I half forgot that camera makers decided they should count screens by "dots" rather than pixels, so each pixel apparently counts for 3 dots (red, green and blue).

All this mirrorless talk put EF-M back on my radar. I'd either never known you could easily adapt EF/EF-S lenses to the EF-M cameras or completely forgotten. Seems like you can sometimes find bodies + kit lenses for pretty cheap. Any big gotchas with them?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

yoohoo posted:

That's good to know. I can't find the t8i on dpreview but looking at the t7i I'm really impressed with the the noise tests compared to the 80 and 90D. Now to find a store that's open and will let me get my hands on them...

The Digital Picture has a noise comparison tool which includes the T8i. Not sure if it's using RAW or JPG, but it at least appears to be like-for-like.

Seconding what BetterLek said. Sensors are often similar or identical between the ?0d and T?i lines. The ?0d will just get you more FPS, better viewfinder, etc. Just be aware that you can probably find a 80D for the same price or cheaper than a T8i at this point.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

It's pretty hard to get pissed off at Canon seemingly retiring the EF mount. It's 33 years old at this point it looks like you'll be able to mount them to cameras for another 20+ years. Between the official Canon lenses and the huge number of third party lenses, you can't really say there's any glaring holes in the lens lineup.

EF-M seems like the odd camera out, since you can't mount EF-M glass to RF bodies. I wonder if that's a physical impossibility or something they could develop and adapter for?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

I wonder what that means for lens mounts?
If Canon keep making APS-C DSLRs, then I guess the EF-S mount continues to be a thing. Do they keep the EF mount around for 1Dx and deep-pocketed APS-C shooters? Or does that get taken behind the shed and all FF glass going forward is RF mount?

Maybe there's going to be an RF-S mount for APS-C mirrorless too and all DSLR lines are going to get phased out over the next 8-10 years in favour of mirrorless bodies. That would make sense if the RF to RF-S relationship is the same as for EF to EF-S, it means there's still an upgrade path for entry-level to prosumer to pro level lines without trading everything in and starting again.

If they make a mirrorless R mount crop body, it seems really foolish to introduce an RF-S lens system for it. People buying it for "extra reach" are basically all using lenses that cover full frame. You run into issues on the wide end, but there are literally dozens of good to great EF lenses that can be used with an adapter.

I don't really see an R mount 7D replacement getting a ton of traction at this point. Just make a R replacement with a decent pixel density and have a crop setting on the camera that gives you more FPS when using a crop. poo poo, you could even have an APS-H setting to give you a nice in-between.

xzzy posted:

Apparently a M50 mk2 is happening this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if the currently available DSLR's is the the last or second to last generation to be released.

EF-M is a dead end mount but it technically fills the EF-S role for mirrorless.

I figured EF-M was dead as well, but the M50 has apparently been a bit seller. With the demise of the Rebel line and the x0d likely immanent, Canon absolutely needs a few models of low-end cameras and I don't anticipate that's going to be the R system anytime soon. The cheapest R, lens at the moment, is $400. I'd be willing to bet the percentage of Rebel owners who have ever paid more than $400 for a lens is < %20.

Edit: There are rumors of new EF-M lenses on the horizon as well:
https://www.canonrumors.com/five-new-ef-m-lenses-for-the-eos-m-lineup-coming-cr1/

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 20, 2020

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

brand engager posted:

lmao if you buy the M series with the Fool's Mount when you could get an RP for less than a m6mk2+evf

Yea, I wouldn't buy a M6 Mk II at full price when the M50 is $500, but it's worth noting that you can get it in a kit with a lens and the EV-F for $1100. You'd need to buy a $400, decidedly mediocre, RF kit lens or adapt an EF lens to actually start taking photos. Also, other than the sensor size (admittedly not a small feature), the M6 Mk II specs are much higher than the RP.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Encrypted posted:

It's funny that the EF/RF 24-105 f4L / II was already terrible with a lot of CA and then they gone ahead and made an even worse RF 24-105 f4-7.1 that's softer and slower :thumbsup:

Also lol that the rumor now is they have stopped developing or currently have no plan for 5d5 when they could've just slapped the R5 sensor and IBIS into the camera and cool it better inside the larger body while being compatible with the extensive EF lens lineup.

:rip: EF mounts

I'm a bit surprised they didn't want to release one last 5D that they can sell at list price for the next 5 years. I suspect we'll be seeing some mirrored holdouts for quite some time. Hell, Nikon still sells a film SLR.

EF mount cameras may be dead, but I suspect we'll be seeing EF lenses produced for decades since you can adapt them to just about every mirrorless system.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

jarlywarly posted:

Here's some R6/R5 sample RAWs with the 800mm f/11 (From Jared Polin.. I know.. but files is files)

https://froknowsphoto.com/r5r6animalaf/

Looks like in "decent" light you'll be ~ISO 1000 with 1/400 so with perched birds using the IS/IBIS you might be alright, the noise levels in the RAW seem pretty good at ISO 1000 with moderate colour NR +12 in Lightroom. BIF at 1/1000+ will be worse ISO wise unless the the light is very good. But I was able to use NR colour +14 on the R5 sample at ISO 4000 but the luminance noise was quite bad and would be noticeable on a sizeable crop on the 20MP R6 image

On the full frame R6 the 800mm is equivalent to a 500mm on APS-C Canon.

Essentially double the ISO for your current shots at f/8 so this Owl shot it would be at ISO 1000 not 500 but looking at the NR settings the sensor does a similar job to my 80D I guess dynamic range might be affected more.

Meh. I just cannot imagine buying a F/11 lens ever, But especially not when you can spend less money on and get a third party EF 150-600mm F/6.3 or just a bit more and get a nice used copy of the 100-400mm. Light is just way too important with 95% of the things you want to shoot with a 600/800mm focal length. Couldn't they have made a 400mm F/5.6 with a similar weight/size? I'd much rather have 4x the light and have to crop a bit.

Canon Rumors really seems to think in-body IS is coming to the M-series bodies. It'll be neat to see if that tech becomes a standard thing in all but bottom-end bodies.
https://www.canonrumors.com/ibis-is-likely-coming-to-the-eos-m-lineup-cr2/

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Fools Infinite posted:

Cropping from 400mm to 800mm is also 1/4th the amount of light.

True, but it has the advantage that you're not limited to framing inside of a 800mm field of view.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The 55-250 STM has been handed out in kits like crazy for the better part of a decade so you should be able to track one down for ~$100 used. There are three versions of this lens, the original, the II and the STM. STM has a much improved focus motor and better optics so get that version.

I know you're not looking to outfit a crazy kit for her at this stage, but I'll throw out another couple lenses to keep in mind.

Sigma made a crop mount 30mm F/1.4 a few years ago that can be found fairly cheap. It's not the sharpest lens in the world
https://www.keh.com/shop/sigma-30mm-f1-4-ex-dc-hsm-wide-angle-lens-701254.html, but it's nice to have an F/1.4 lens as an option.

There are a few lenses that cover the same range at the kit, but at F/2.8 aperture. They've gotten pretty cheap over the years and can sometimes be found under $200 for the Sigma and Tamron and under $300 for the Canon.
https://www.keh.com/shop/tamron-17-50mm-f-2-8-aspherical-di-ii-sp-if-ld-xr-ef-mount-lens-for-canon-aps-c-sensor-dslrs-67.html
https://www.keh.com/shop/sigma-583101-17-mm-50-mm-f-2-8-lens.html
https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-ef-s-17-55-f-2-8-is-usm-standard-zoom-lens.html

I think the Sigma is probably the sharpest of the bunch, and also has a quiet focusing motor.

Edit: There's also the Canon 10-18mm which is nice ultra-wide for < $200.
https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-10-mm-18-mm-f-4-5-5-6-ultra-wide-angle-lens-for-canon-ef-s.html

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 25, 2020

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ilkhan posted:

They're long reach and cheap. I can see them being good for *cheap* cheap birding. When you want reach but can't spend a ton on it. Most people will look at them and live with the limitation.

Maybe down the line when there's either really cheap used R's or if a cheap APS-C R appears, but until then you're spending over $1000 on the cheapest body just to mount the lenses.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I can see why Canon would want to be ahead of the curve with 8k after lagging behind so badly with 4k, but I suspect we're not going to see 8K ever widespread adoption outside of (perhaps) high end productions filming in it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The T# line (without the i at the end) are pretty low end DSLR's that lag a generation or two behind the T#i line from what I've seen. That said, for $150 including lenses it's a very low stakes way to dip your toes into digital photography. It will still take good photos and have the ability to take very good ones with some decent glass.

What are the lenses? I'm guessing the two lenses that were bundled with it as a kit, likely a 18-50mm and 75-300mm?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BambooTelegraph posted:

Got it in one. Are they any good?

They're good starter lenses. They'll let you explore photography and figure out where you want to spend money on lenses in the future. Their biggest weakness is probably that they have a fairly small aperture (the number after "F", larger means less light let through), which means you'll have to increase your shutter speed and/or your ISO when you're working with less light. They'll allow you to explore what you like to shoot and how so that when you decide to buy more glass you know what you want to be looking for.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

Wondering if the difference between:
-Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 DI VC USD (IS, USM) for $800 used
and
-Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II at $1200 used
or
-Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 DI VC USD G2 at $1200
or
-Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 Sports at $1200

Is worth the 50% greater price? Money is a concern, $1200 is out of budget but could be stretched to.
Main goals; First, better low-light performance (indoor sporting events) and second, better sharpness.
Current lens: Tamron 18-270 f/3.5-6.3
on a 7D

I see the Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 II used for $1000-$1100 very frequently, so keep your eyes open. I'd probably go with that one just based on what Um Excuse Me said. Looking back at Fred Miranda sales, the G2 and Sigma Sports have sold for < $800 used a few times, but they don't come on the market very often.

The Canon and the Tamron G2 are 300 grams lighter than the Sigma Sports, for what that's worth.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

-Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 DI VC USD G2 at $1200

There's a G2 that just went up on Fred Miranda for $875 if you want to pull the trigger now.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1659818

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

Thank you so much!

Any suggestions/warnings for a Luddite on buying expensive stuff person-to-person over the internet via paypal?

That person has a pretty extensive feedback history and Paypal theoretically insures you against scams, so I wouldn't be too worried on that end. If you have a new FredMiranda account you may have a harder time getting them to trust you, so you may need to figure that out.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

Yes, their reviews allayed my concerns. After that and some reading up on Paypal, I'll have a new lens in a few days. :dance: Thanks again for the heads up.

Nice! Glad it worked out for you.

I bought the EF-S 55-250mm STM to go with my new M50. Man, for $100 used that lens is such a steal. Fits great on a M body with the adapter as well. Wish I could say the same for my 150-600mm :negative:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Big McHuge posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my camera, but on somewhat of a budget. Currently using an entry level Rebel T6, and I'm looking at used 5D mark iis. Is roughly 500 dollars a reasonable expectation?

I mostly shoot landscapes but I'm also starting to get into astro.

That price sounds about right to me. A used 6D typically goes for a fairly similar price, but seems like it has a better sensor, which would definitely benefit you doing astro stuff? You're also getting kinda close to the price point a used RP might go for if mirrorless interested you.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

Local sales pages like Fb marketplace, Craigslist, etc, are always full of entry level DSLRs because someone bought one to take pictures of their dog or their kids, realised that it was much bigger and bulkier than their phone, and just left it on a shelf every time they went out.

Just be aware that people who buy entry-level gear new have no idea what its actual value on the used market is and will often try to sell used gear for $50 less than they paid for it 5 years ago. Checking eBay prices for recently sold gear is probably the best way to get an idea of reasonable prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

jarlywarly posted:

They are making assumptions that this setup is not for a valid technical reason. Potentially Canon identified complex thermal issues with recording video and determined that temperature sensors alone could not be always be relied on, maybe they made a call that the timer was needed to protect people's hardware and cards from damage or data from corruption, it would be worse for Canon if for example people's video was corrupted or cameras/CFExpress cards were damaged.

There are potentially multiple sources of heat/issues with recording high bitrate video, the sensor, CPU+RAM and the CFExpress cards which throttle on overheating possibly below the speed required for certain video types. It could be a bit of hack because the thermal management algorithms were not yet fully developed to determine all the factors but release was coming up. Given the fuss and accusations Canon may feel they need to make a statement now though.

This is the most reasonable and likely correct take I've seen, but at this point it's become a bit of a self-perpetuating "scandal" because it's earning YouTube channels lots of money. It seems likely that Canon will release firmware that can increase the recording time and cool-down period and they'll all declare victory.