Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

I don't do video so the R5 feels absolutely perfect to me.. barring some dramatic technology update I plan using it for 10 years. To be fair, given how much it costs that should be its minimum service life but we'll see.

It does action well, it does landscapes well, and it has enough megapixels to fix anything with a crop or print at hilarious sizes.

I feel the same about the R

and probably because it seems like they don't want to make a successor, rather cameras much more expensive, or less expensive.

If all they did was update the firmware with what they have learned since, I would be so happy. I own other hardware from phones to synths where they continue to update the firmware long before the hardware has stopped, but of course this is not what Canon does.

I dream of a day third party operating systems existed for these cameras. I dream of a day I can have something equivalent to scripting or even less complex, like I love the new Flexible priority mode, well I did, but the decisions it made pissed me off. anyway lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

charliebravo77 posted:

I pre-ordered the R7. I know what I really want is the R5 but I can't stomach the cost as a 95% hobbyist. It's a shame the R and R6 are crippled in their own ways.

as a person with an R, this makes me feel sadness lol

I love my R

The R5 was just too expensive and those file types are massive. And I don't think I could go back from Full Frame

And I am in love with my Sigma 135mm and it would be too zoomed at crop and I couldn't bring myself to consider the alternative.

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 25, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love my R but am a bit gutted it doesn't have other kinds of eye detect, other than human. although spose I don't do much of that.

I'm glad you're enjoying mirrorless AF though. I came from a 7D (the original) and god the difference in the keepers.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TomR posted:

Those are at least weird numbers in the line up so you have an indication you should probably go look up the details. The Rebel line gets a bit messy with the letter names they use here instead of just a number scheme. Still though, for the most part the line up is straight forward. Only thing I would add is a clear line between full frame and crop sensors. Also probably a clear indication of weather sealing or not I suppose, but I just assume anything one or two digits is at least acceptable as a pro body. 7D messed up everything. Good camera though.

I had a 7D and was so validated when I read about a dude who used it for a Britney Spears photoshoot lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
don't try to unvalidate me lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think the true beauty of it, and this is true of a lot of cameras now, is that it's a professional level camera that you can get for very cheap.

this is defo a golden age for photography. my 13yo uses my 7D now.. he's so privileged and lucky to be using a camera that is totally capable of amazing photos.

We have definitely passed some kind of milestone where the barrier to entry of amazing photography was money. The barrier is now just experience/skill.

I started with a 350D and I sold it recently for $40. while it was pretty average, the implication that for $40 someone can buy a DSLR is crazy. I took many good and memorable photos of my kids when they were young with that.

Camera technology is weird compared to say ipads or laptops. A decade+ old laptop is worthless with today's websites etc, but a decade+ camera, provided it can still work OK, can still take decently great photos.

the 7D came out in 09, it's a fuckin teenager, and it's fine, and in some ways, it forces you to think about exposure in a way you don't need to with a mirrorless.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just about to buy him an OG nifty fifty for that camera (I have one of the newer ones for myself)

equiv of about 80mm on crop. but f/1.8....

if you can't take good photos with a 7d and 50mm f/1.8 the problem isn't the gear

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for what it's worth

I've never experienced ibis

unless you mean irritable bowel syndrome

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Helen Highwater posted:

According to some article I rea, Canon have been leaning on third party lens manufacturers to stop selling RF lenses. Or at least autofocus capable RF lenses, Laowa are still selling manual RF mount macro lenses, but Samyang and Viltrox have pulled all RF lenses and support software for them.

Apparently it's due to those manufacturers having reverse-engineered the RF autofocus mechanics or otherwise managed to make it work without the licensing fees from canon which I believe make it financially infeasible to do so.

which sucks

but I have an EF sigma lens and it's excellent on my R

melon cat posted:

Not to go all photobro on you buuuut: history's greatest photographers didn't need IBIS to get award winning shots so chances are you can probably do without it.

I just shoot at 1/500 come at me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's the 135mm f/1.8 on the R and I use a canon EF->RF adapter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does “picture style” matter if you shoot raw

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I turned on highlight priority enhanced, and have now concluded I am extra happy with my EOS R

It takes a nice photo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy my sigma lens

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

R8 feels like a dud to me,

the youtube channel camera conspiracies has this term the canon cripple hammer and it's so true

imagine how good their cameras would be if they didn't purposely cripple their middle tier models to hopefully intice someone to upgrade to a better one. a real fuckin shame

also, when they introduced the RF range, didn't they also introduce a parallel line for the smaller mirrorless? seems like such a bogus idea

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Wait in what way? I'm looking at it as a second to my R6 I for both video and photo. The smaller size is a big plus for my needs as well.

I've got an R, and it feels like there is no direct followup from that camera. The R5 is just too much (and word on teh street is that the sensor is a bit poo poo colour wise) but the R6 is not quite enough.

And I am not prepared to lose FF.

Maybe I should have gone Sony. Although the same complaints about the R5 sensor can be lobbed at the sony too, technically good for lots of reasons, but the colours.. not quite right.

tbf I actually don't feel anything missing from the R, the iphone connectivity could be MUCH better, and I've heard the autofocus on the R5 is just insane and am jealous of that, but I really really do like my R so much

I shoot with a sigma 135 almost exclusively which is an EF lens and use the adapter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Why do you feel the 6 is not enough? We use a 5 and a 6 for weddings and other than resolution for prints (and giant file sizes) they’re indistinguishable. The autofocus is also exactly the same between the two in my experience. The 6 is near perfect unless you need mega resolution and the 6 ii or 8 add a bit more resolution.

it's been a while since I looked into it and decided exactly why, but I think the resolution was a big one. sometimes I crop hard lol

maybe I need to revisit my opinion. although that said I am also NOT in the market for a new camera lol

quote:

We also had an R and RP before this and it’s night and day, no contest.

are you saying the RP is bogus? or that the R sucks compared to the R5 and R6?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Interesting.

I am glad I don't feel the same way about my R.

I was loaned one for a weekend and I was immediately so in love with it lol.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tbh the criticism of it sounded a bit wanky so I wouldn't read anything into it, it's also the only criticism I had ever heard of it myself too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Philthy posted:

I'm curious how IBIS isn't a must have. Unless you're on a tripod, IBIS is an incredible advantage that gives you SO much.

yeah it'd be sweet but I don't yearn for it

I only shoot a 135mm and almost always at f/1.8 and am shooting at about 1/500 to avoid camera shake.. usually in natural light thats fine, and natural light is what I am doing

I do wish the R had some better low light ability tho. it's a bit sad when it's dim. oh well

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Here's two raws from the R6 and R5 respectively:

I can post 100% crops of others later but the colors are consistent and no issues from either.

thanks. howd that dude score so many chicks? nice photos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
god drat why in the gently caress does my camera (EOS R) switch off auto ISO

honestly it drives me mad. I shoot in aperture priority and I rely on auto iso to make sure my shutter speeds are fast enough for my 135mm, usually gotta be like 1/500

anyway , i’ll be shooting away and all of a sudden notice it’s locked into an ISO of 400 or 200 or whatever

what the gently caress an I doing?
am I bumping some switch?

I was just doing a photoshoot and the light was getting dim and all of a sudden nori was it was trying to shoot at 1/30 to get enough light

if someone has an answer for me drat I’ll be happy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hmmmmm maybe

thanks for the hot tip, I'll check that out next

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my canon eos r with a ef sigma 135mm f/1.8 running thru canon adapter continues to work amazing

the thing that truly made it was turning on that highlight priority thing up to max. can’t help but feel that if you’re relying on auto exposure in any way you should have it on all the time no second thoughts. the downside (minimum iso of 200) is so minor and not worth worrying about. I need an ND anyway

i’ve had photos that I thought were totally cooked but end result was maybe a few pixels saturated (or even none) but the entire images totally useable whereas without it it was a goner. amazes me how much data can get squished into the top few % of the histogram without tripping over the end of it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Couple months in with the canon r7 as mainly a video camera and second body for my r6 and I'm really loving it. The sigma 18-35 1.8 is a killer lens, and paired with the 70-200 2.8 on the r6 I have basically 24-200 range at 1.8-2.8 at hand which has been amazing for wedding and concert gigs. Throwing the 200 on it for extra reach has also been more useful than I imagined, and I could definitely see getting a 400-600 for even more reach on it. No real complaints other than the ibis not working with the sigma (it introduces a ton of shake and wobble, apparently firmware fixable with sigmas dock).

good poo poo op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have an R and the viewfinder is very good. not perfect, it stalls for a fraction of a second after taking a shot, which I never noticed until someone pointed it out.

and of course the R doesn't have zebra striping or some way to visualise clipping.

but the benefits over dslr are incredible imo

I shoot with people a bit and when I am showing them what I've taken I get them to look in the viewfinder it's satsifying

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the M stands for Mega-fail

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what was the sigma?

I somewhat enjoy the heavy 135mm sigma .. makes me feel powerful

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it just brings me so much joy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just makes u stronger mate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so I got an ef50mmf/1.4 around the same time as a sigma 35mm and I defo think I enjoy the 50mm way more. been using it as a carry round lens to just capture whatever. the 35 can do the same but makes the photos more boring

but it’s kinda soft. maybe it’s actually normal, the lens I am most used to, sigma 135mm, is very sharp (one review called it the sharpest lens they’d tested, even if thats not true it certainly points to it being sharp), so maybe it’s not a good comparison

this lens almost seems like it has a weak black mist filter on it. and tbh the photos are fine if you don’t get too close lol

but it makes me think maybe if I really can’t get to grips with the 35mm then I could sell both (and some other lenses) and finance a better 50mm… any suggestions? the RF looks good but also wtf at that price

there’s not really anything between a 50 and 85 huh? I suspect an 85 would be too close to 135 (both achieving similar things) and if I am gonna have a second lens it should at least be different enough

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah my sigma 135mm is adapted and it works flawlessly

might look into that one. read a few reviews comparing that and the canon 1.4 and said they were similar but the sigma sharper

the canon has slightly weird bokeh at times too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Just got mine for an absolute steal

Only tested it indoor with the dogs since it was delivered after sunset, but I can tell it's a ridiculous lens. All at f/1.2:

Low light auto focus

even sharper than my RF 70-200 2.8, even at 1.2

holy poo poo man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve come across an EF85 f/1.8 for what seems like a good price

any comments on the lens?

ever since getting the EF 50mm f/1.4 I have become a bit skeptical of older lenses.

the sigma lenses I have (EF mount) are both great wide open, and the 135mm was my only lens for so long, I had gotten used to just using it wide open, but the ef50mm is a bit of a mess until you get to like 2.2 or so

and I’ve read this 85mm is real good above 2.8

but if I’m getting a 85mm which of course is gonna be 99.9% portrait .. I don’t wanna have to stop down to 2.8 just to make it acceptable

maybe you get what you pay for. maybe if I want a deece 85mm a $300 lens from years ago may not be the way to go

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Viginti Septem posted:

So, how old are you talking? haha

this is a photo

idk how old

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i reckon i’ll sell the sigma 35 1.4

it’s nice and sharp but drat I never enjoy using it lol

so many people encouraged me to break out of my 135mm prison and there’s a local photographer who uses one and she does great and also encouraged me

this 85mm is a bit more of an experiment to see if I want my second main lens to be 50 or 85 .. maybe 85 and 135 are too similar

who knows

it’s only money

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Viginti Septem posted:

However, as more and more people are becoming familiar with cell phone photos which tend towards a wider field of view, an argument can be made that telephoto shots look less mainstream in general and thus have an edge in the masse of photos that populate our culture now.

shrug

I have had those exact thoughts. if I want to stand out from phone photo going longer is the key. and so far that’s why I have primarily stuck with 135 because it takes photos that people don’t see on the daily

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
three hundy seems like a bit of a steal

about $190usd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:hmmyes:

might do it