Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Rumors, so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

alkanphel posted:

I used to be a Canon user too, but I too jumped ship. The last Canon camera I ever recommended to friends was the Canon 5D2, now I mostly recommend Sony or Fuji. Those who didn't heed my advice ended up selling off their Canons like a couple of months later when new Fuji/Sony cameras came out. To be fair, there are some reason to use Canon cameras but most of my friends don't fit into those niche use-cases.
Yeah, but selling off my EOS and all my glass leaves me with just enough budget to get the upcoming A99 II (if I estimated the price correctly) whenever it drops next year and the A-mount version of the Sigma 35mm. So essentially being left with nothing again.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'd like to get more dynamic range at some point (for my handheld urbex motives), and Canon doesn't give any indications as to when they'll catch up with the competition, more like the contrary (see 7D2 sensor). Plus I've tried the A99 EVF, it is awesome and would let me reduce the rejection rate a lot when shooting handheld and wide open (focus peaking in the VF).

And finally, depending on the model and its higher resolution, you get more leeway with noise. The D800/A7R sensor has better characteristics than the Canon FF sensors, while the same time being higher resolution. So you can get rid of more noise during downsampling, too. With the added benefit to be able to crop like a motherfucker otherwise.

If rumors are true and the 5D4 will be revealed in February, depending on that they present (or rather don't), I'd like to make plans for an exit, before buying even more glass. I'm alternatively toying with the idea of an A7R and some cheap adapter, given that I focus mostly manually anyway, but I'm not sure of what to think of the FE-mount, especially with Sigma saying it sucks for lens design.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Huge grain of salt, but first specs rumors about the 5D4 are going around. What's hilarious is the 98% coverage on the VF. I wonder what additional unannounced features it'll have to warrant a refresh. Other than the supposed 36MP.

http://www.cameraegg.org/rumors-5d-mark-iv-price-for-3799-to-be-announced-on-march-17th-2015/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

IanTheM posted:

I wonder if Canon won't switch to Sony sensors at some point. Their advantage is in the system/colour/glass, and the sensor business is terrible in general even Sony has been losing money in that division last I heard.
There were rumors about using Sony sensors. The relevant sites said it came from reliable sources.

1st AD posted:

If Canon never improves their sensor tech they might recoup the costs on their fab in a couple years.
Eh, I've read some speculation that their fab processes aren't suited for higher resolution sensors as this rumored 36MP one. Of course, if true, that suggests that they've indeed ran to Sony, and given hardware development cycles, this would probably be the D8x0/A7R sensor.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It would be funny though, just because of all the Canon fanboys who've been talking poo poo about the D810 having too many pixels.
Too many pixels with too much dynamic range and not enough noise. Who'd even want that.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 23, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

IanTheM posted:

Doesn't the new 7D sensor have the same pixel density as a D800?
Even higher. Using the 7DII's pixel density, a fullframe sensor would have 45MP.

The issue with their fab tech seems to be the inability to implement specific processes. At least from what's being said. The D800 sensor has significantly better noise performance and higher dynamic range than their lower density pendants from Canon. And Canon's crop sensors with similar pixel density perform noticeably worse than their fullframe ones. So it's no surprise that there isn't a high resolution fullframe sensor from Canon.

The 7DII sensor didn't really set itself apart from the rest of the crop sensors, ignoring the AF. You'd think that with introduction of dual pixel PDAF their sensor would have gotten a big overhaul, but it performs only negligibly better than a 60D.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Few pixels here and there? I thought the whole sensor are supposed to be made of those pixels. I realize that they're just used in video mode, but when messing around with the photosites, you may aswell start introducing new tech alongside.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is it as fast as the dedicated AF module? If so, I'm surprised there aren't plans for a mirrorless DSLR-sized body with EVF yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If it's about their EF lens catalog, ditching the mirror while keeping the format would probably have worked fine. It'd have been a step further than where Sony wanted to go with their SLTs, but hasn't yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Just as I made the bid for the competition, first rumors crop up about Canon taking mirrorless seriously and wanting to throw a fullframe MILC on the market in 2015. :toot:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No idea. I'd expect them to honor their existing lens catalog. If there's going to be a new mount, it'll probably ship with an adapter in the box. I mean, if it's indeed due for 2015, I doubt they'll have a decent lens catalog on a new mount to start with. Maybe it'll be a body keeping the register distance, while minimizing it's depth with clever component placement.

That said, I'm going to sick with my A7II order. Gonna adapt the lenses, so I'm quickly switched back with some small loss, if they release something spectacular.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 3, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Have you heard of EOS?
Any less vague? --edit: Forgot an M?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Meanwhile I've just received my EF-FE adapter.

But yeah, the case appears to be Canon having wanted their own fab instead of letting a third party do it. Now it's apparently too expensive to upgrade it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Canon Thread: Don't Buy Canon

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Get an A7R if you want to switch. --ninja: Actually don't. Adapters only do CDAF.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

mrlego posted:

Also full frame cameras will have a slightly thinner DOF at equivalent f/stops. So if you are used to shooting at f/2.8 on a crop, f/2.8 on the 5D won't have the same DOF...I think...
That's because with higher focal length, DOF gets thinner. Fullframe needs longer glass for same field of view.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I'm sorry but according to all the Canon fans I see mirrorless cameras are for stupid babies and amateurs, not real pro photographers doing real serious photography* like them

*middle school soccer games, car shows, etc
Autofocus was an issue until recently, when everyone figured out different ways to do PDAF on the sensor. Thermal noise is an issue to some small degree, because the sensor's running whenever you've the display or a future Canon EVF activated. Former's solved, latter's been compensated for by putting heatsinks on the sensor.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 11, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Since this is a common thing to say, the 6D body is also magnesium. The exception is the top plate for Wifi and GPS.

This one may not necessarily be a good thing for photography. I could swear I've read that the 5D3 has a stronger optical lowpass filter than the 6D, which means that latter may have slightly sharper in focus areas, if the glass resolves well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, a quick google tells me that the 5D3 does pixel binning. There still has to be something with the lowpass filter, because there's a bunch of people that went through the troubles of removing it for video reasons.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

rolleyes posted:

I have no idea whether or not that's true as I'm no expert, but that's the rationale provided.
According to DXOMark, the 5D2 has +0.2EV more DR up to ISO 800, then the 5D3 pulls ahead. However the 5D3 has 1.2dB more SNR across the whole ISO range.

Also, for the NX1 supposedly being better than the A7R and 5D2 at ISO 3200, former sure as hell has more perceptual noise than the other two. Same at ISO 800, the NX1 still looks slightly noisier if you spend more than a glance looking at it. If it's theoretical measurements are so super awesome, the way the noise is presented sure as hell doesn't help perception of it.

--e:f,b about the DXO stuff.

--edit: Actually thinking about it looking again, the default noise filtering of the RAW processor has been applied already, given there's barely any chroma noise.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 20, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

When I bought my 105mm macro lens, I needed two reflectors. Some cardboard and tinfoil with the rough side up works just fine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rumors are springing up that the supposedly new upcoming 53MP fullframe camera from Canon is supposed to have a Sony sensor based on a patent exchange between the two. If that one's true, gently caress me, because it puts me in a pickle. Go back to Canon eventually or stay with Sony and get Dual Pixel AF at some point in future anyway.

--edit: The short term issue mostly the need to decide for a mount on mid-term (while I have an EF adapter, AF sucks). Not going to buy yet another new camera anytime soon. :|

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 29, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

CP - have you gone and bought a bunch of E mount glass? Or is that the pickle - deciding whether to keep on trucking with EF lenses on your A7 for now with the aim of going back to Canon in the future?
Only thing FE mount I've bought was that 50mm/0.95 because, well, f0.95.

Thing is, while I don't have any short term plans to get more glass yet, because my EF stuff fits on the A7II with an adapter and I mostly focus manually, I am however toying with the idea of replacing my current Sigma 35mm around end of the year with the upcoming Zeiss FE one to have fast AF for when it's actually useful (stipulation being similar optical performance, because the Sigma beats the pants off the current Zeiss 35mm). If that'd play out well and the FE catalog grows by then, more options may come up. This would also involve displacing EF gear to pay for it, i.e. losing it. While I expected Canon to catch up with the competition eventually, if the rumors are true, it's happening faster than anticipated.

Planning for the the long term, say two years from now, it'd probably be cheaper to hold off lens purchases for that time and spring for a Canon, than update my stuff slowly to FE.

timrenzi574 posted:

I would think that one is pretty easy to decide: Do you genuinely like having the smaller body, or do you think you'd prefer going back to DSLR ergonomics, and just really wanted the exposure latitude offered to you by the sony sensors.
Eh, I like both bodies. Which is curious, because I was glad to be rid of the small 550D body back then. I still sometimes hold it, because I gave it to my sister, and I still don't like it. The A7II body is pretty great in my hand however, despite similar size.

timrenzi574 posted:

It's the same pixel density as a 20MP APS-C, but who knows if that can translate directly to making a larger one like that. I would think if it was that simple Sony would have already released an even higher MP one (since they make 24MP APS-C sensors), but who knows.
Initial rumors were that it was the 7D2 sensor extended to fullframe, but same ISO, DR and SNR performance. Since Canon's fabbing the APS-C sensor with the tech themselves, I don't see why they couldn't do a fullframe one. With Sony's ostensible involvement, one could presume that that sensor comes with better performance. Whether it's all true depends on the lead time that was already had (i.e. whether Canon's dealing with Sony for months now or not).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 29, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Grain of salt, blahblahblah.

quote:

• 50.6MP full frame CMOS sensor
  • There will be also a EOS 5DS R version that will be without low-pass filter
  • Magnesium alloy body, dust and water sealed
  • Dual processor DIGIC6
  • Regular sensitivity: ISO 100-6400
  • Continuous shooting 5 frames / sec.
  • High precision 61 AF points
  • EOS iTR AF
  • 150,000 pixel RGB + IR photometry sensor
  • New "fine detail" picture style
  • 1.3x and 1.6x crop modes
  • Customizable "Quick Control Screen"
  • Time-lapse movie
  • Interval Timer
  • Bulb timer
  • The official announcement will be next week
http://photorumors.com/2015/01/30/this-is-the-new-50mp-canon-eos-5ds-eos-5ds-r-full-frame-dslr-camera/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose the crop modes in combination with the high resolution is for people that are turned off by fullframe cameras solely because of ~*~*reach*~*~. That's often the argument for tending towards the 7D series, despite wanting a 35mm sensor. And what EF-S bayonet lenses are there, anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Because oversampling is a bad thing, amirite?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

timrenzi574 posted:

Samyang 24/1.4 & 14/2.8 are very good but manual focus
The 14/2.8 is very sensitive to heat. I took it out at -4°C this winter and the infinity focus point shifted from somewhere past 3m on the scale (it's inaccurate to begin with) to a little over 0.7m. Back home inside and reheated, it's way up the scale past the 3m mark again. Must be something the way it's assembled.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The 5DS cameras have also been officially announced. No info who's making the sensor.

--edit: Word is designed by Canon, manufactured by Sony.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 5, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

KinkyJohn posted:

imagine a 50mp FF with good DR
Sony's coming for your rescue. If you can deal with CDAF, you can even mount your EF gear.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Long exposure noise tests of the 6D and 5D3. The results are certainly interesting. The 5D3 seems to introduce noise somewhere else in the signal chain, otherwise I don't see where that big difference at the 1s exposure comes from.

From http://www.brendandaveyphotography.com/?page_id=726

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh Canon, I can't wait until the competition bitchslaps you with the same megapixels, but eventually better DR and SNR.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They're both the same lens.

Samyang also sells under the brands Rokinon, Bower, Walimex, Vivitar, Falcon and god knows what depending on the region. I don't even know what the point of doing that is, but it seems to work out for them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Which are?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Someone made a profile for LR, that corrects its distortion pretty drat well. But it's FF only. If you have a way to adapt it for APS-C, you'd be set.

http://www.photo-worx.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh, there's an app to autogenerate those? --edit: That link I posted even mentions it. :doh: