Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Being in Hong Kong is bad for my Mastercard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Will do, but I'm without a proper laptop for the next week, and I'm also whatever the bachelor version of a momtographer is. Preliminary test shots, however, leaves me very pleased.

Additionally, I think it's a beautiful big fat middle finger to Canon that it comes with a super nice case, center-pinch cover and lens hood standard. Altogether ten bucks worth of plastic but so thoughtful.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Instrumedley posted:

Speaking of the Sigma 35, anyone here have it? How is it?

I have one, posted a pic on the previous page I think. Use it on my 7D.

I've only played around with it for a week, but:

Comes with everything (hood, center-pinch cap, carrying case.)
Feels ridiculously solid.
Looks/feels fantastic.
AF is quick in my view, maybe L connoisseurs will disagree, but I don't complain.
Min. focusing distance is 30cm which is a godsend coming from 100cm on the Canon 1.4 50mm.
I agree with Wyeth, it isn't fantastically vibrant in its color reproduction, but it's very sharp and has a very pleasant feel to it.

I actually bought it in Hong Kong with the intention of selling it here, at a slight profit, but now I'm not so sure. I think I'll put it up at a high price and see if there's any takers, and play with it in the mean time. If it stays, the 50mm 1.4 goes, that's for sure.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
If I'm jonesing for a 70-200, which one do I buy? Is IS very necessary or can I live without it. My intention is to use it for portraits as well as event photography where I want some distance to the subject. I don't see myself shooting sports or wildlife.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm not really in the US, so I think that would be more trouble than it's worth...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So the new "Global Vision" USB dock etc. 30/1.4 crop specific? Please do let us know how it performs. I bought the 35 FF 1.4, but only use it on my 7D. I had wowed to only buy high quality FF glass as I wanted to go to FF eventually, but seeing the prices vs. offerings in that segment, I'm reevaluating.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

rcman50166 posted:

I had to quote this part at the sheer ridiculousness of giving the batteries weight down to the 1/100000 of an ounce.

It's most likely auto-converted from 63 grams. Although we agree, a call to round() would probably have been in order.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Picked up a 24-105 for a good price on a recent trip. Very nice lens, but I have a question: what does the "macro" it says on the focus indicator mean? How do I macro with it?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

My poor, poor wallet.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have the 24-105L. It's pretty good, especially for the price, image quality is very good and the IS helps a lot. Where it lacks is, of course, the relatively slowness of the f/4.0 and, at least on my 7D, it can sometimes have a heck of a time finding focus in poor light.

My colleague has the 85 1.8 and he raves on about it. I've seen some pics and it looks very good, especially for the price. It's a good portrait lens, both on FF and crop.

I've never played with the 5DMk1 but I'd assume that it becomes quite noisy at higher ISOs, quickly. Consider this as well as what you shoot normally. Poor light + no flash (for whatever reason) + poor high-ISO performance + slow lenses is my biggest gripe right now with my 7D.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

flummox posted:

Having said all that, if you absolutely cant afford more than $600 or so, sure, get the 5D. But I'm seeing used MArk II's going for $1000 - $1300 these days and it's an awful lot more camera.

Maybe you're a good person to ask then; I'm considering going FF, either my colleague's well taken care of used 5DMk2 or a new 6D bought in Hong Kong in a few months. Price is about the same. Thoughts?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Canon just announced a pretty hefty cash back on the 7D, it can be had for something like USD 900 now, here (in a place with 25% VAT.)

7DII around the corner?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Funny we should end up talking about the various 135s - I've borrowed a 135L f/2.0 for the weekend. It goes on my 7D, and I'm going to take it to my niece's baptism. What else should I do while I have it (except fondle it lots.)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Except for size and weight, would there any point in getting the 40 2.8 when I already own the Sigma 35 1.4 Art?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The 24-105L f/4 is pretty amazing as a travel lens. I got to play around with a first gen 24-70 f/2.8, and while it was a sweet lens, it weighed twice what my 24-1105 does.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone have an opinion on the 24-70 2.8 Mk I? I borrowed one from work for a wedding, and I can't really say I'm terribly impressed. It was for my girlfriend who was the second shooter for the day, and I just stuck it at 2.8 the whole time, which might have been a mistake. Weird bokeh, CA out the rear end and hit-or-miss focus, although that last bit could be operator error.

In related news, I offloaded my 10-22 for a bit more than that newfangled 10-18 is selling for, which is better, lighter and cheaper, so yay for that. More money to fund a 6D or the mythical 7D2 if Canon ever gets 'round to announcing it.

Edit: white shirt/black suit and 24-70 mkI mixes poorly:

bolind fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 6, 2014

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

timrenzi574 posted:

That's insane - I just went through all the pics from my brothers wedding where I used one of these on a 10D all day, and there's a little bit of CA wide open but not even close to this.

I think this particular copy has lived quite a rough life. According to our graphics dude it also backfocuses heavily.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What would you canonerds say a well cared for 7D with 24k actuations should sell for? I'm having a bit of an issue attracting a serious buyer for mine. It's priced at about $750, but I'm in Europe.

I'm not in a particular hurry to sell it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Mightaswell posted:

So I just rented the 135L and holy poo poo. I need to own this lens.

Do you shoot FF or crop? I borrowed it from a friend and used it on my 7D, and while the results where nice, it was long and jittery with no IS.

It's light, has great IQ and colors, and only costs your left kidney though, so definitely not the last lens to be added to my collection, should I win the lottery.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I sold my 7D and all my EF-S stuff and immediately spent the proceeds on a 6D. I have the 35 Siggy Art and the 24-105L. Any good instructional videos I should watch? Any other tips for getting the most out of my new setup?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just take photos, I'm not much into video although I'm thinking I should.

Is the AF system much different? I've almost exclusively done center point so far.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
B&H has a pretty good review of the 7D MkII: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7THzK2fr4hU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Well, yeah, B&H gotta sell some bodies, but it still enlightened me about some of the features of the camera.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Work just purchased a 50 1.2L, 100L macro and a 5D3, on top of a ton of Elinchrom gear I have little clue about. I got to touch it. It's very, very nice.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

SFH1989 posted:

I just bought a 6D and I want a battery grip for it. Is the $180 Canon grip actually worth it or should I just go with a third party for 1/3 the price?

I have an original Canon grip for my 6D and it's nice. I like grips, I've had them (all original Canon) for my 350D and 7D as well. I've never tried a non-Canon grip.

The 6D grip seems not quite as comfortable as the 7D grip, it's a bit more angular. Also, the batteries have to be mounted in a carriage and slid in through the end, the 7D grip just had a door and you could take out each battery separately.

If you have the option, go try them out. I think ergonomics is the biggest factor, the buttons and electronics (I actually don't even think they contain anything but switches and wires) are pretty much the same.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

I'm going to buy a 6D soon here and I'm wondering if the 24-105 /4 kit is the way to go for an all-around lens, or if anyone has another suggestion for something to cover basic kids/ portraits/ walkaround situations, in that price range?

The 24-105 4.0L is pretty awesome, and it's not a big surprise it comes bundled with the 6D. It's only f/4, yes, but 1) it's full frame so it matters less, 2) it's constant-aperture and 3) the 6D kicks rear end at high ISOs so it doesn't matter.

It weighs very little, so combined they make a great, light travel setup.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
FWIW, a recent product/model shoot at my company was done on Phase One 40MP sensors, the argument being that it was nice to be able to crop lots and lots to use either the entire scene, close up of model's face, or even just the product (business headsets) or a detail of the product and still have enough pickles.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I think the point was that they might need stuff in the future that couldn't be foreseen at the time of the shoot.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's possible crop mode would be for a faster burst rate or something.

This + if you were to mount a crop lens you could store only what you need. It's basically a 20 minute software hack, I think it's a good idea, but not in any way something that makes or breaks the deal.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
poo poo, I was confused, I think it must've been the review of the Sigma 18-35 where the guy mounts it up to a FF.

Although the 10-22 will work with a few, simple mods.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
There's a pretty cool writeup on what happens when you mount the Siggy 18-35 to a FF here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Comparisons/Sigma-18-35mm-f-1.8-DC-HSM-Lens.aspx#FULLFRAME

Personally I think that you shouldn't buy it specifically to use on a FF body, but if you happen to have both on hand and the situation calls for it, I don't see why you wouldn't, it's not a complete disaster at the right focal lengths.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My 24-105 IS f/4.0 seems to have developed zoom creep, and it's pretty annoying. I did what the internet suggested and slightly tightened the three screws under the focus rubber ring, but it didn't help (or helped very, very little.)

Oh, DorkroomHDR Hut, what do I do?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

timrenzi574 posted:

Go to target, go into the dollar aisle and buy a stretchy rubber bracelet (think livestrong type) and put it partly over the zoom ring and partly over the barrel. Or spend 10$ for the same thing marketed as a lensband for stopping zoom creep.

Not really the answer I was looking for, but thanks nonetheless. Might as well make a habit of holding on to the zoom ring while shooting.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

NaDy posted:

Decided to finally upgrade from my 6 year old 450d to full frame with a 6d, and will be getting the 24-105 f4 L as well. For general travel and landscape, I've read that this is a pretty good combo, am I right? Anyone have any experience with this set up?

I have it, and it's pretty bomber. My major complaints are the relatively slow aperture and distortion at the wide end. But it's nothing that can't be fixed/worked around, and it's an overall good setup in a light package.

The lens may or may not develop zoom creep. That's just part of the game.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The Canon EF-S 10-18 came out recently and received favorable reviews, and is cheap.

That said, I owned a 10-22 when I shot crop and it's a pretty rad lens.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

dakana posted:

I just bought the Canon 50 1.2, and it's taking a whole lot of camera time away from my Sigma 35 1.4. I'm evaluating the Canon 24 1.4 in my next wedding to see if I'd maybe want to swap the 35 for the 24, though. I've done a few family sessions and the 50 rarely left the camera. It's a tough choice, though, because my 35 has been just an absolute workhorse.

Just curious, why the Canon 1.2 over the Sigma 1.4?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Isn't a speedbooster just an inverse extender? So you trade focal length for aperture in both cases, just in different directions?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Bummed out that Sigma's unveil was crop only. Would've been all over a 50-100 f/1.8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Sigma is now offering a 85 1.4 Art, a 12-24 4.0 and a 500 Sport. I want the first two. Badly. But let's see what the reviews say.