Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: vvvvv it needs to be done completely on a gas grill at the apartment complex because the friend is moving and hasn't moved over any pans yet.

You can do it the same way on the grill, just make sure it's hot. You won't get the same uniform crust as a pan (less surface area in direct contact with the metal) but it'll still be good.

I'm a big fan of keeping steak cooking simple. Salt, high heat, pepper, rest, consume.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

I like a pat of unsalted butter right after heat applied during rest. :getin:

Suuuree you do :btroll:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

it's not actually that novel a thing. s'what they do at pretty much any higher end restaurant you can buy steaks at from Peter Luger's to Minetta Tavern, Bouchon, Les Halles...etc.

I know, some of us just have to watch our figures :wink: (by eating pounds of red meat)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Bob Morales posted:

But, be warned that it has a different texture than say, rare beef and you might not like it. I have to have my pork at least medium-well :(

What's it like eating sawdust? :iamafag:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
While it's probably delicious, and I commend you for your effort and dedication towards getting the perfect steak, I can safely say that is way too much work.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Chuck Biscuits posted:

Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong.

You did the ducasse method :smugdog:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

indoflaven posted:

It's 2013, if you can't cook a steak at this point, good luck.

You'd be amazed at how many of my friends (young 20 somethings) whenever I cook them a steak. The idea of applying high heat to a steak to get it to medium rare just doesn't compute.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
To be fair, the Chive has great collections of pictures of butts.

To keep this steak related, I was quite happy with my medium rare sirloin that I seared up tonight and sliced thingly with some good horseradish on freshly baked bread:

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 7, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

ShadowCatboy posted:

That's definitely a great level of doneness and it looks like it's got a nice crust. But did it just not rest sufficiency? Because that looks like a lot of juice.

Rested it for ~12 minutes on that plate, took it off and sliced it my cutting board and put the remaining, unsliced steak back on the plate. For some reason, a lot of moisture came outta the steak while it was sitting there. I thought it was a bit strange but the meat was still completely juicy so who knows :iiam:

GrAviTy84 posted:

:hfive: steakfriend. I sirloin'd too.

Steak night, best night.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Bob Morales posted:

There's no such thing as 'too much juice'. There is only 'not enough potatoes'

Definitely laughed out loud at work and people looked at me funny. Thanks jerk.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

VERTiG0 posted:

Is this a joke?

No, not at all :thejoke:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

swampcow posted:

Coming home late one night, I only had the energy to throw the whole frickin steak in the microwave. The microwaved steak was still better than any steak I had before.

Wait, you cooked a whole steak in a microwave? :stare:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

No Wave posted:

It was already cooked.

Ah yah, missed that first part.

But I agree, I don't like the taste of microwaved steak. It gives it an off putting flavor. I'd much rather reheat in a skillet for some steak and eggs or as said before, cold and sliced for a sammich.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doom Rooster posted:

It looks to me like the edges are very nicely browned, just not the middle. My guess would be that he didn't score the outside, and the meat contracted, causing the big middle area to lose contact with the skillet.

Is this something that people do?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Shadowhand00 posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

This is a nice little article about aging that you might want to check out.

Well this is awesome.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Stalizard posted:

I just did a steak in a beer cooler, it was the easiest thing I ever did. I used a two dollar dial type thermometer I got from a restaurant supply store. I stuck it in a lovely styrofoam cooler I got for three dollars from the grocery store. It was the easiest thing I ever cooked. I submerged the thermometer, it still works.

I put two ribeyes in, about 1.75 pounds total meat. Threw in a rack that they leaned against so they stood up, more or less. Hardest part was getting the water up to temp, I overestimated how hot it comes out the tap. Check every 15 mins or so to make sure it's around ~130. If it isn't, heat some back up. Leave for 45 minutes or so. Pat dry, sear, rest.

If you insist on eating a chuck steak, this is among the best ways to prepare it. Consider leaving it for an hour or more to render some of the fat; it won't overcook.

It works for every meat, although time and temp vary by animal and cut.

edit: I cannot overstate how simple this was and how delicious the steak was as a result.

I have leftover steaks from when I bought a cow. I have a lovely styrofoam cooler leftover. I think it's time I finally try this sous-vide thingy.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Or just apply some heat to a hunk of meat and shove in mouth. Not that complicated!

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 1, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Republicans posted:

Hey, a steak thread. Just the place to share my recent find:

I buy non-graded halal strip loin at my local restaurant depot for a long-running lunch special because it's almost always better marbled than even the choice grade stuff and is cheaper than the select. But holy loving poo poo did I strike gold yesterday. This was all had for $4.16/lb. I ended up going back, buying another for the special and keeping this for myself. I gave away most of them to fellow employees but I kept six.

Now I just need to wait for an afternoon with no rain so I can grill them. :)

Those steaks look horrible, you shouldn't even waste your time on them. Don't worry I'm a nice guy, just send them to me and I'll take them off your hands.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

twoday posted:

Guys, I need some help:

A friend of mine has some steaks, but he wants to eat burgers. He's telling me he is going to try to grate the steaks with a box grater. He won't even consider using a food processor. I keep telling him that it isn't going to work and that I think it's insane but he won't listen and I don't know how to stop him. What should I do?

Go over to his place and slap him in the face with said steaks before he begins to smack some sense into him.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Go for 3.5 centimeters or more.

Get the cast iron screaming hot first, then put in the oil (I like grapeseed).

Get the oil hot, there should be smoking (open windows, fans going, exhaust etc).

Throw the steak in (salt the steak first), flip every 15-20 seconds. Do this for a minute or two.

Throw in couple knobs of butter, spoon over steak to finish it.

Take out of pan and let it rest for at least 5-10 minutes.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Le0 posted:

Thanks. What oil would you recommend then? This list shows that Canola oil with high Oleic content has quite a high smoke point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point) I have no clue if I have high Oleic content tho...

EDIT: You just suggested bacon fat... Sorry I'm still asleep

Grapeseed.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
How was that uncooked bacon?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
would

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Follow any of the several posts about how to cook a steak in a cast iron skillet and it'll be 10x better than what you're planning on doing.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Guess I need to get a cast iron skillet :(

You can even do it with a stainless steel pan, just not a nonstick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Bad wiki page, don't read that.

• Locked thread