Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Add hot water into a beer cooler, toss steaks into a ziplock and puddle until like 130, sear and finish. The only foolproof way to steak.

:colbert: Also, I like ribeyes closer to medium. Deal with it.

Edit: I'd probably just do what Cuisinart said. Roast whole and finish high in the oven to brown.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is this only the medium rare thread? Neigh, I hope not. :smug:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

No Wave posted:

Is this hanger steak? I'd personally only eat it like that if I hit it w/ the jaccard a lot beforehand.

It's horse tender, like gravity said. Cool in the center is the only way to eat it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I stick with salt and pepper as long as I have decent meat.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ShadowCatboy posted:

Though I am going to buy some and try marinading them in reduced milk before patting dry and cooking sous vide. I wanna see if I can possibly squeeze more cow in there somehow.

The gently caress?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

QuarkMartial posted:

So I have a steak problem, sort of. I tried cooking some steaks (two) in my cast iron skillet tonight. First time trying a skillet. Used a little vegetable oil, salt, pepper, and let my skillet get nice and hot. The moment I put the steaks on, it smoked up to insane levels. I'm talking plumes of smoke that filled our house. I handled it well, and the steaks turned out fine, but what could I do to prevent this?

I used vegetable oil as I thought it had a higher smoke point than olive oil and butter. The steaks were a little lean, so they needed more than their own fat to cook in. What'd I do wrong?

Buy a really expensive commercial overhead fan. It's gonna happen regardless.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Also don't add the butter until just before pulling the steak from the pan.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Smoke alarms either have batteries, or can be unplugged.

(Sometimes both...)

Cheap as hell un-lubed condom stretched over the smoke detector is a great solution for all your smoke-related problems. :chef: :350:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SecurityDrone posted:

The Alan Ducasse method is all about basting with butter while getting a carmelized (though not carbonized) Maillard crust, under medium/low heat with lots of flipping.

Did you even read the article?

quote:

Then I do something you will consider truly strange: I start by cooking the steak on its narrow side. I want to begin with the rim of fat on the edge, to render it so there is good, flavorful fat in the pan for the rest of the cooking. I'm also browning it so the finished steak will look immensely appetizing when it is served.

I continue to cook the beef on the flat sides, salting first, about 10 minutes on each side. I do not use very high heat, because you get good caramelization in that amount of time. I'm not interested in carbonizing the surface of the meat. To me that ruins the flavor. You must also take care not to pierce the meat, or it will be less juicy. Turn it with tongs or two spoons.

Use tongs to turn steaks onto a flat side, dust with salt and cook until browned on one side. Turn, and cook on second side until somewhat undercooked. Pour off all but a couple of tablespoons of fat, and add butter and crushed garlic. Baste steaks with butter and remaining fat until cooked almost to desired degree of doneness: for medium rare, it will take about 10 minutes on each side.

It's not a lot of flipping and the butter isn't really essential the browning at all. So uh, it's the exact opposite.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It works fine as long as you understand what he's getting at and you have a thickass steak, like 2" or more. I actually do something similar quite often with thick pork chops. Render the fat edge, slowly pan roast each side in the fat until it hits 150F in the middle. Pork is a bit more forgiving for this technique and it comes out with an amazingly lacquered golden crust on each side. But this is really time intensive. It's like 30 minutes in the pan.

Ed: this is a pork chop I did

and a strip steak

and a strip that miche did

Basically if you're a competent cook, it turns out great.

I don't do it all the time, but I wouldn't write off the technique completley.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 4, 2014

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:shrug: If you're cooking lean-rear end supermarket stuff, sure it's gonna be dry. But 90% of my pork is local, and I find the texture of med-rare-ish pork to be kinda offputting. I prefer cooking to 145 or 150, and the fattiness of the meats I get keeps it just right.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You do realize the steps you quoted are not, actually, what Alain Ducasse describes, right? I'm fairly certain no one actually ever reads the article that quotes him directly. It's like the worst game of telephone ever.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

FaradayCage posted:

Is the quoted way or the canon way better?

I would think the multiple Michelin starred chef would know what he's talking about more than the multitude of people that can't read what he wrote and therefore do some half-assed, pulled out of thin air recipe.

Edit:

demonachizer posted:

Instead of searing the poo poo out of a steak, I strongly urge you to try the method that the french use.

lol :airquote: the french

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You should reverse sear something that large imo

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I would aim for 130 for med rare, so pull at like 127 or so.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You should always pat your steak dry before cooking in order to get the driest surface. You can go a step further and toss your steaks on a rack and let them hang out in the fridge overnight.

Drifter posted:

The thing you'll have to watch out for with bacon fat is that it's already got some salt and stuff in it, so just know that it can make not as an amazing season on cast iron (but still pretty fine, don't stress).

Wait, what?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That sounds extremely spergy and dumb. It's a hunk of fuckin iron. Just cook with the thing.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pat them dry with a paper towel then? Or does it need to be cloth for some reason?

I just use paper towel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Shouldn't it raise the pH? :v:

• Locked thread