Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
tips for cooking beefsteak:

step 1: get a thermapen
step 2: let meat air dry a bit
step 3: cook in cast-iron pan on high heat whilst flipping all the time, like every fifteen seconds
step 4: pull at 126 for ribeye, 118 for rare-appropriate cuts (thickness depending - pull earlier if thin, later if supar thick)

season w/ salt and peppa after cooking and let rest!!!!!

win at life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You couldn't just measure out the weight of salt you were looking for, season the steak with that, and then seal it in the bag? Like I think it's bizarre to get that granular without weighing your ingredients. Then it would just be air-dry, sear, and oven if you want I guess.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The whole done in two minutes thing is hyperbole. Even a thin-ish steak takes twice that long. Don't sweat it - if your pan's hot, you're doing it right, and it's done when the temp is right.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This is going to sound douchey but a glass of red wine is probably the best accompaniment to steak. The acidity of the wine will balance out the fat, rendering condiments irrelevant.

Casu Marzu posted:

Is this only the medium rare thread? Neigh, I hope not. :smug:
Is this hanger steak? I'd personally only eat it like that if I hit it w/ the jaccard a lot beforehand.

bombhand posted:

I use stainless steel and generally don't have a problem. My method is probably far from ideal because I'm lazy and I settle for "good enough", but what I do is I pat my room-temperature steak very dry with paper towels, oil and season it, and then put it into a hot, dry pan. The steak will release from the pan on its own once it gets a sufficient sear on it. I finish with butter before resting (but after I've got a crust on both sides of the steak)
Why room-temperature?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 26, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Aramoro posted:

Yeah the really thick steaks you have in the US are just not to British tastes really. You're looking at 3/4" to an 1" mostly. You can get thicker ones from a butcher of course. That's why I prefer cooking instructions which go to temperature not time, make it easier for me to do things with British cuts of meat.

I was going to say you can't eat Lamb shanks for every meal but you totally can. Lamb shank pie is one of my favourite meals.
If you can cook a 3/4" to 1" steak in two minutes you are cooking on the sun.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

:hfive: steakfriend. I sirloin'd too. Grilled and finished with a pat of butter and some gray salt. Served with a baked potato and some wok fried garden veg.

Sirloin steak, gray salt by gtrwndr87, on Flickr
gravity, once again, doing everything right

Bob Morales posted:

There's no such thing as 'too much juice'. There is only 'not enough potatoes'

This is a travesty. Do your dishes or something b4 you eat, drat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't really buy that seasoning half an hour in advance really tenderizes the steak all that much. I would be very interested in your a/b testing the two steaks. Half an hour isn't really enough time, and that method should - from what I can tell - actually end up drying out your steak more than anything (because half an hour isn't quite enough time for the liquid wrung out by the salt to get re-absorbed).

I think, instead, your phenomenon is just that the steak is coming out properly seasoned when most people eat their steak underseasoned, and you're attributing the improvement in flavor (ie, "meatiness) to that.

As an alternative, I'd recommend using a jaccard tenderizer and seasoning after cooking.

But, as always, if it works for you, bueno bueno.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

beefnchedda posted:

Though this might be useful here: Foodlab's myths regarding steak

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

Most is well-known to those in this thread, but the summary is nice.
This article is loving great - it's easy to nitpick Kenji's stuff but he's pretty much the only person out there who actually tests his methods and stuff (besides Myrvold, of course)

That being said I do disagree that seasoning after cooking doesn't make a satisfactory product - I saute my shallots/arugula and clean my kitchen before I eat, so my meat ends up resting for ten minutes before I get to it anyways, meaning the seasoning is in the meat at this point (I season immediately after finishing cooking the meat). I also like the salty, crusty exterior on a steak - it's gratifying to bite through to the tender middle, mixing the two in your mouth to create a properly seasoned product.

But seriously, everyone buy a thermapen.

Spookyelectric posted:

What I might do one evening, then, is try cooking several small steaks by different methods and then compare them, side-by-side, to see which method had more influence on the flavor/tenderness.

For scientific purposes, of course.
It's a good idea, but realistically it's impossible to do this with everything...

To share my own experience, I haven't found the amount of time before seasoning to really matter in terms of tenderness. Jaccarding I recommend for any piece of meat you'd want softer.

The most effective way of making a piece of meat tender is to slice it thinly across the grain (most easily done by cutting at a bias). This changes the nature of the dish somewhat, but that's okay, because tough steak is pretty flavorful anyways so you don't need a big mouthful like you'd need with filet.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 12, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wow. I love seeing poo poo taken to extremes - thanks for going there for us.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Get your meat

Accidentally go way overboard on salt and pepper

Oh well, might as well let it rest for 45 minutes before trying to fix it

Sear the gently caress out of it and eat

How'd I do?

I'm not even sure if this was a steak cut and I'm so jealous of you guys with your thick cuts that I can't seem to find here. For the record next time I'll use much way less salt. I think I overcooked it too cause I pulled it out at 120º F but when I set it on the plate my thermometer was telling me 140º F and it was freaking me out. At least it was still pink instead and it was still delicious albeit salty.
Cook hotter, flip more... what kind of salt is that?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

toplitzin posted:

Am I silly for thinking about leaving a digital probe in my steak and just flipping it on medium heat in a dry cast iron skillet til it hits 118?

To me this sounds like dinner.
Do this on very very high heat to start, turn it down to mid-high after you give each side the initial sear.

Curious about how you're going to handle the physics of this, but the logic is sound! Remember to season your meat and to let it rest!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's a ribeye, so the carryover actually served you well. Individual opinions vary but mid-rare is generally the preferred preparation for ribeyes in high-end restaurants. So what I mean to say, is, really, nicely, done!!!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

Has anyone switched to the reverse-sear method? I keep reading that it works much better.
Works best when you have a big double-rib roast that you cook in the oven super-low for 3 hours at like 170 - pull out, let sit for half an hour, and when you sear it the outside is very dry. Good poo poo....

No Wave fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 30, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

WD40 posted:

If I still ate meat I'd be curious as to the effect of liquid nitrogen on a steak pre-cooking. As far as I understand it, slow freezing alters the texture, as big ice crystals form between the muscle fibres. Liquid nitrogen would freeze it much more quickly and therefore make smaller crystals, causing a different effect on the fibers. A quick (30 sec?) dunk, followed by immediate frying might be interesting so far as texture goes. My theory is that the disrupted cells on the outer surface would brown more quickly and be crisper. Probably a waste of a perfectly good steak, but you never know.
It works, but you'd want to vizzle beforehand. Good for meat in funky shapes. Like cubes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Doh004 posted:

Wait, you cooked a whole steak in a microwave? :stare:
It was already cooked.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Selklubber posted:

I steaked a steak!

The second time I try to properly cook a steak, and the first time I'm happy with the result. I took it out of the fridge and salted it half an hour before cooking. Then I sort of followed Gordon Ramsay's recipie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FYZHkjgwdc). The pan was smoking hot, I cooked 1.5 minute on one side, 1.5 on the other. Then I turned the heat down, put in butter. Had some butter on the steak and tossed an onion in the pan. I should have had more onion though, still hungry :(
Was your pan really "smoking hot"? There's no sear on that beef!

Onion's never going to fill you up that much, there's not a whole lot in them. You'll need potatoes for that... or more steak.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chemmy posted:

A cast iron pan is fine, it's what almost everyone uses. I leave mine in a 500 degree oven for a half an hour or longer and then put it on a big gas burner turned all the way up. You shouldn't be turning down the heat at all until your steak is done cooking and out of the pan.
I disagree - I think you have to turn down the heat a little for thicker cuts. It's possible to char steak, and I'm not really a fan of the flavor. I like having it on wicked high heat for the initial sear on both side, to get the outside of the steak to maillardizing levels of heat ASAP, but I don't see the point of continuing that way.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Sure, but the steak pictured is pretty thin.

I sous vide thicker steaks but like them pretty rare. If I wasn't doing that I'd get a hard sear and then throw the steak in the oven.
Props, did not realize your advice was context-specific.

If I have the time I don't see the issue (and I see upside) with finishing 100% on plancha-level heat as long as you are flipping every fifteen to thirty seconds. Not feasible in a restaurant, obvi, but that's why i don't go to steakhouses no more...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tendales posted:

Aging in the fridge isn't going to accomplish anything worth speaking of. It's just not the right environment. Fortunately, that means you don't have to wait to eat a delicious steak!
I mean, there are technically benefits to wet-aging, but it's really not worth loving around with.

Chemmy posted:

That's how I like my steak, but the thread is titled "medium rare meats" and I'm trying to give general information to people uncomfortable cooking steak.
Normally I would think someone who had this opinion was dumb (except for fillet) but I have to note that your posting in this thread has been highly intelligent so I must revise my opinion.

What's the trick for serving this? Do you cut it super thin like sashimi? Sort of like a steak tataki?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Never had much luck with the steaks you can buy here in Finnish stores, always turned out like a chewy piece of leather when I've tried in the past. I've tried all the usual tricks of super high heat, flip once, rest, etc. but no real difference.

Anyhoo I got to reading this thread and I decided to try heavily salting before hand (I probably had it like 2 hours in the fridge), then rinsing it off and patting it dry. I also flipped it every ten seconds until the crust looked nice rather than doing the flip once drill. It turned out medium rather than medium-rare because I lost my count with all the back & forth flipping, but I'm perfectly fine with the results. It was just so nice to have made a steak that turned out great. I have another steak of the same type that I am aging in my fridge (unsalted), not sure how long I should give it.

There's another cut called entrecote which is a bit cheaper but more marbled that I want to try the same method on and see how it works out, it's what I've had the least luck with in the past.
Here's the best part - you will now make great steaks for life.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 28, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Using a torch to dehydrate the sides pre-sear is a VERY cool idea. Super super neato.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Flat iron is the very best of the "butcher's cuts". Even if they were the same price I'd take it over rib-eye.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is going to sound dumb but how do I dry my steak in the fridge? I'm not talking about aging but just letting some moisture evaporate for a few hours. Do I wrap it up in a paper towel? Set it on a cooling rack? Or can I just put it on a plate and pop it in the fridge?
Cooling rack is best so that top and bottom both dry.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I you really want more meat flavor with your meat, serve it with a jus.

But if you create the perfect milk steak let me know.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

protip: dry aging the steak would have been the better way to intensify the cow, as it were. All you really did was dilute it down and now you're trying to intensify whatever remains.

Besides, if all you really really want is some intensely cow flavor dense meat, just make jerky.
This is going to sound stupid but this is why I don't like vizzling my steaks much anymore and why my favorite way to prepare even tender proteins is slow-roasting (the last vizzled lamb chops were really disappointing compared to my much-less-accurate slow-roast).

Drifter posted:

Some people have said to soak the steak in milk for a day (12 hours or whatever) and then take it out and marinade the now soaked meat with a real marinade for another night or so before cooking. A marinade of garlic, whiskey, honey and soy sauce or whatever other marinade of your choosing.
I mean if ShadowCatboy was doing this with something that wasn't the best steak on the cow it would be whatever. But to do weird stuff to a ribeye is, bleh.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 2, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Marv Albert posted:

Has anyone mentioned reverse pan roasting in here yet? It's my go-to method for steaks and chops since trying it one day.

Heat your salted and lightly oiled steak, in your pan of choice, in a ~350 oven to an internal temperature of ~100. Then, about a 90-second sear per side is enough to get good color and an internal temp of 120-125. I find this method doesn't dry out the outside to the steak to the extent of regular pan roasting, plus it has the bonus of getting your pan much of the way to rip-roaring hot for the searing.
I prefer doing it in a really low oven - like 175-200 - for a few hours or as long as it takes. Then you let it rest for 20 minutes, then you do the sear. This gets a more even cook and it further desiccates the outside of the meat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Republicans posted:

Hey, a steak thread. Just the place to share my recent find:

I buy non-graded halal strip loin at my local restaurant depot for a long-running lunch special because it's almost always better marbled than even the choice grade stuff and is cheaper than the select. But holy loving poo poo did I strike gold yesterday. This was all had for $4.16/lb. I ended up going back, buying another for the special and keeping this for myself. I gave away most of them to fellow employees but I kept six.

Now I just need to wait for an afternoon with no rain so I can grill them. :)
wtf? That looks like high prime. I mean, drat, that looks like loving washugyu. God dammmit!!!!! (i'm jelly)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't really get the objection beyond feasibility. It's not like you're ruining the god-given texture of... ground beef.

Definitely makes me want to try it out with the grater blade... thing on my food processor. We may be entering a new era.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Assuming you can puddle and sear a steak, which really seems completely idiot proof, is there any point in eating an expensive steak at a fancy steak restaurant? The topic of steaks came up at lunch today and my coworkers started talking about [insert expensive steak restaurant] and how their steaks were expensive but worth it. None of my coworkers cook though. I didn't say much but I just kept thinking I could easily go buy a prime grade cut of meat, dry it out in my fridge, and sv it for a fraction of the cost.
If it's a really good steak restaurant (like the good NYC steakhouses like Sparks) the char that they can get with their broilers is better than anything a home cook with standard equipment can get. They get extremely hot.

Outside of the absolutely best ones, though, no, probably not.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Drifter posted:

Isn't the temperature still hot as poo poo, wouldn't the oil still burn the milk solids? Or do you WANT them to ~kinda~ burn (toasty) anyway? I guess that's the thing.
Generally you start the sear on a piece of beef at ultra-high heat, then turn it down once you're maillarding.

My issue is that using any oil at super-high heat leads to smoking which everyone tells me is bad. If the steak's thick enough it doesn't matter. I like using clarified butter these days... it just seems like the obvious thing to do (and you can buy it in the grocery store as "ghee")

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

Funny, I gave ghee a shot just last week. The steaks tasted loving awesome but if it was the ghee or the fact that I splurged on some really nice dry-aged ribeye (or both) I couldn't say.
It was the nice dry-aged rib-eye. Ghee's a plus, but the meat's what matters

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

DrPain posted:

I made these for my father-in-law's birthday last night and was told this thread would appreciate my work.

3/4" cut, bone in, 31 days dry aged, prime ribeyes. Seasoned with salt and pepper, set out at room temperature for however long it took me to drink a few beers and bullshit with her dad, grilled at 600 degrees for 90 seconds per side, with quarter turns at 45 seconds.

a.) Your grill wasn't nearly hot enough, there is zero crust on those
b.) No reason to let non-enormous steaks come up to room temp, colder steaks = longer sear time
c.) Good doneness tho, that is a good ribeye color

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Now here's my question. I've gotten way better results with just a little oil, then add some butter when I flip it. Great crusts etc.. Why though?
Are you sure the browning of the butter isn't making you think the crust is better? The scallop illusion.

If I were you I'd flip more often. Like every thirty seconds. See how you like it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think flap meat is now my favorite cut of meat, even over ribeye. Maybe even more flavor and can be eaten rare as gently caress.

I may be overexcited because the stuff I got was particularly good.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 16, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SecurityDrone posted:

The Alan Ducasse method is all about basting with butter while getting a carmelized (though not carbonized) Maillard crust, under medium/low heat with lots of flipping.

If you can't sous vide, Kenji Lopez Alt's reverse sear is pretty cool. It's kind of like that 'put frozen steak in the oven first suggestion' earlier, though you'd have to be crazy to not at least thaw the steak first.
Ducasse method, destroyer of steaks. No reason to cook in butter at 300 instead of clarified butter at 450.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SecurityDrone posted:

I don't know, I like to try steaks made in a variety of ways. No one way is the perfect way for me. I've made a really good steak with that method, it just has to be a really big one for it to work without overcooking. If there's a huge grey band around it, you cooked it too hot. But that said I'll totally try the clarified butter and 450, never cooked with clarified butter. Higher smoke point?
Yeah - in butter the milk solids burn very fast. Clarified butter has a higher smoke point than most vegetable oils. It's my go-to cooking medium. I don't like that it's called ghee in grocery stores because that makes it sound way more exotic than butter to most people and you imagine there's like cumin and poo poo or something in there.

If you've got a huge grey band, you need to flip more, like every 30 seconds, though if we're talking about something really thick reverse-sear is a safer option.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Did you even read the article?

It's not a lot of flipping and the butter isn't really essential the browning at all. So uh, it's the exact opposite.
It's also a completely nonsensical method that I can't imagine anyone actually has ever used effectively. I mean something has to have gotten lost in translation. Cook a steak in the pan for 40 minutes? Insane. I have no idea why something so stupid continues to get propagated.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

and a strip steak

and a strip that miche did

Basically if you're a competent cook, it turns out great.

I don't do it all the time, but I wouldn't write off the technique completley.
I really can't believe that these were cooked for anything like 40 minutes.

Ducasse method also talks about steak giving off multiple tablespoons of oil, which definitely didn't happen in the steaks above.

I don't see anything wrong with cooking meat on a hot pan that's not hot enough to carbonize and then finishing with butter, but there's no reason to call that the Ducasse method, that's just... steak.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 4, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

FeastForCows posted:

Any tips on how to keep the juices IN the steak while letting it rest? Every time I take the foil off after resting the plate is full of juice and the steak is dry in places (mostly on the outside, the center usually gives a taste of what could have been). I am using a coated pan to fry steaks and usually oil them before I put them in.
You're overcooking them!!!! Probably.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

A bit late to the oil chat, but I like to buy some beef fat from the butcher, render it into tallow, and use that. It's got a high smoke point and a nice flavor. Also, mushroom cooked in tallow are delicious, and you can make candles with the excess!
Smoke point's not that high - clarified butter's is higher.

Cooking beef in beef fat has its own appealing logic, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You're being overly dogmatic. There are cuts with no marbling at all that can still be tasty enough as steak. Consider any grass-fed beef.

Copious oil in the pan will give you a better sear than no oil - I don't understand the logic that would say otherwise.

(I only cook with a little clarified butter because I'm lazy and like to just cook spinach in whatever remains from the steak)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 12, 2014

• Locked thread