Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Is Erin McGathy on every episode? My girl loves her podcast This Feels Terrible and has mentioned wanting to go to a live Harmontown sometime.

For people who dismiss McGathy due to her performance on Harmontown, do yourself a favor to listen to the This Feels Terrible 'Dates For Dustin' series. It starts off kind of slow, but by the third installment I guarantee you will be laughing your rear end off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
He probably feels bad too.. after eating all that fungus.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fiendly posted:

(I can't imagine they'd keep the segment going this long if it's essentially Spencer's Storytime, but I've seen plenty of podcasts carry a heavier albatross).

Is the first one the one with the mirror puzzles? If so, that's the last time they will ever do anything like that again.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

caligulamprey posted:

Well, get to it, I guess.

Well, that didn't take long at all.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JesusFists posted:

Erin's well-intentioned but hopeless D&D strategy of roleplaying absolutely everything.

At least the bedroll thing makes more sense than tying swords to her legs to dissect a dragon because "girls have strong legs."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Occupation posted:

Also has anyone listened to Spencer's interview on This Feels Terrible? It's insane, what happened to his last girlfriend.

I don't know, it sounded to me like Spencer was overinflating what happened because he's young, goony and doesn't have any perspective.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Occupation posted:

Episode 61 was really good.

Just finished Dan Harmon's reddit pity party. There's nothing more insufferable than sanctimonious blowhards complaining about online criticism.

Does it get better?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Now I understand why Jeff hates playing with Erin.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Between Levi, Lisette and Beef Fungus Bill I'm beginning to think everybody who listens to Harmontown is insane.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Unsurprisingly, Erin flaked on her My Terrible Body photos after gaining ten pounds since announcing it this past spring.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Jesus, listening to the compliment conversation makes me feel autistic because I agree with everything Dan says.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I could have done without Dan's weird pantyhose/foot fetish stuff at the beginning.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Erin released her side of the engagement story.

Holy poo poo.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

It was a week of non-stop fighting and crying, culminating in a last-minute proposal in front of a dumpster.

Also, a woman's mind is a scary place.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I knew from the description that this week's episode would be bad, but I didn't know it would be THAT bad. Don't make the same mistake I did, skip the first hour and a half and just listen to D&D.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
90 minutes of gender politics featuring Dan, Jeff, Erin and Kumail. They spend most of that time trying to figure out what toys they should buy a child for a gender neutral upbringing. Dan also spends a lot of time talking about gender on his moon colony without actually saying anything or expressing an opinion (except "race is easy"). Kumail tried to throw in a few jokes, but even he couldn't save the show from Dan and Jeff's insufferable pondering.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JesusFists posted:

Because Dan obviously hasn't studied gender roles in academia, he can't quite fully articulate himself, but he was trying to question the whole necessity of the gender binary. Sadly, no one else understood or wanted to go there,

Yeah. Dan made the observation early on that they were all inside the 'LA Bubble'* and the conversation did indeed suffer for it. Things only got interesting once they started including subjects and viewpoints from outside that bubble (the woman from the audience and Jeff's gay experiences, for example). Without perspective--without opposing viewpoints--conversations like the one on the show quickly become tiresome because its just people agreeing with and reinforcing each others' sheltered beliefs.

Which is exactly what happened.

*it also sucks that there wasn't a single parent to add much needed real-world perspective to the conversation.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Insanity Prawn posted:

Jesus, Dan with the whole face eating thing in DnD.

Dan railing against bad/lazy writing is always amazing.

See also: episode 59.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Golden Bee posted:

*Ignores entire audience and cast shouting at him to let it go*

Entire audience =/= Adam Goldberg

Insanity Prawn posted:

I dunno I liked his rant in that one, this was just more frustrating, with him not getting the point.

He got the point. Its just that when you're trying to get someone to trust you, casually bringing up how you haven't murdered/robbed/raped them yet is stupid. Like if you talking to your stockbroker and asked him if he was looking after your best interests and he replied "if I wanted to steal your money I would have done it already," you would close your account immediately. Making threats to build trust isn't rational behavior; not even in the made-up worlds of D&D. To pretend otherwise is metagaming.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

SoupyTwist posted:

then realize after Alie & Georgia came up that their whole conversation was a wash.

All the feral audio cross-promotions have been terrible. Then again, I don't like podcasts in general, so maybe its just me.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
My God Mitch Hurwitz is incredible.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

super fart shooter posted:

Between Philip Seymour Hoffman and Woody Allen, I'm expecting a pretty dour show for tonight

Surely Dan was at a party watching the Super Bowl with his friends last night.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"She pronounces cashew, CAAASSSHHHHEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Occupation posted:

But hey apparently it's fine for some no name to accuse some dude of making up a girlfriend for no adequately explained reason and the audience to then insult him over it! Yeah.

I think Dan was more bemused than anything at the idea of a stranger being so invested in this guy's life that she'd challenge his relationship apropo of nothing. Also, the guy wasn't shouted down but was, in fact, given the last word on the matter. Its not even close to the woman who was told to shut up and sit down by the audience.

That being said, has anyone seen any pictures of the confrontation? I'd love to know what was going on to make the crowd support the woman despite her sounding like a complete loving nutball.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Arstan posted:

Plus, what Dan says about the audience is true. When one of their own steps up to the mic, they're already at a huge disadvantage for assuming they deserve it.

I'm calling bullshit. Harmontown is a rinky-dink podcast being hosted in the back of a comic book store, not the goddamn Tonight Show. As long as they have something to contribute to the conversation (and aren't super schticky), everybody "deserves it."

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh, the pathos.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Just finished episode 92 and I would like to reiterate my love for Mitch Hurwitz. That man is a national treasure.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Haha, fly across the world to see Dan, end up with McGathy.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure she's playing up the whole 'bad improv, worse timing' thing. Like, that's her 'character.'

(my character is apparently 'single quotation marks guy,' the guy who sarcastically frames everything with single quotation marks)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Are the Harmenians in the documentary as weirdly cultish as they are on the podcast?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I think giving Dan a breathalyzer test at the beginning and end of each show and listing the results in the iTunes summary would help me a lot in deciding when to listen to an episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Episode up!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, I liked everything except the half hour in the middle where Dan forced all his friends to tell him how great he is. That was boring and, to be quite honest, kinda sad.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sithsaber posted:

Obviously he isn't racist, but at times he does express objectionable stuff, and we love him for speaking his mind.

I don't know, whenever I hear a guy like Jeff go on for ten minutes about how great women and feminism are I can't help but think to myself "this guy must really loving hate women to feel like he has to overcompensate this badly." It would not surprise me in the least if Dan had a ton of skeletons in his closet.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Is it over? Are we done?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
..and then they immediately post the episode. :negative:

Sithsaber posted:

Taking a week off doesn't warrant the assumption that the show the show is over.

A week two weeks after a month.

Skip a week, don't skip a week--I don't care, I just want to know.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Dark Souls is the kind of game I would have loved in middle school when I had unlimited amounts of time to waste playing video games.

Oh, and Joffrey is a Baratheon, not a Lannister.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Dan's Superman script is definitely a top ten moment for me. I don't know if it makes me a horrible person or not, but I agree with everything he said about Supes (except the whole 'its okay because they're Jewish' thing. Joe Simon, Jack Kirby and Stan Lee were all Jewish and they didn't create boring-as-poo poo characters).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I want to take a shower but I know deep down I'll never be clean again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Let's all jump on the guy who made a funny post on a comedy forum!