Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Kumail has no reservations about making fun of the audience, and while it's funny, it also kind of sucks to lose that special thing Harmontown had.

To be fair though Jeff is basically the same way as well, and really only holds back on the roasting because Dan is like all "we don't make fun of the audience here".

Also I was so unbelievably happy when it turned out Spencer got the promotion to Dan's PA. I love Spence and he's kind of my favorite part of the show, especially since his whole life has progessed like some nerdy version of the old "Our guitarist is sick with food poisoning, can anyone cover for him during our set" trope.

Also has anyone listened to Spencer's interview on This Feels Terrible? It's insane, what happened to his last girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Episode 61 was really good. Does anyone know anything about Mars Argo though, like as a band or whatever?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Irish Joe posted:

Just finished Dan Harmon's reddit pity party. There's nothing more insufferable than sanctimonious blowhards complaining about online criticism.

Does it get better?

I agree that a lot of what Dan Harmon said was sanctimonious, but I think that the underlying ruminations he was making-that a lot of the reporting of the situation used contextless quotes of a admitted comedy program to slant public perception against him right from the get-go- were interesting.

Like, look at how the community thread reacted to last week's podcast. I mean, yeah, that thread is one of the worst on the forum, but like 90 percent of the people in there were ready to burn Harmon at the stake. Despite, like, none of them having listened to or ever listened to Harmontown. It was infuriating.

Anyways to answer your question, after all of that, they play a really hilarious game which eats up most of the ep and d&d was good, so yeah.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Half of Dracula posted:

Show up every week, nobody gives a poo poo about it, Kumail is brought up for it but wants to comment on three or four items previously discussed, get nothing done. It's getting a bit predictable. Spencer or Adam was loving hilarious but they should make time for D&D and cut out some of Dan Harmon blubbering about mean online people for a solid hour

According to his twitter Spencer was like, really sick right before the podcast, which explains his disaffected attitude during D and D

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That Siike conversation was some incredible poo poo last week. And I'm grateful that the description for this week's ep isn't really accurate, since Harmon is exactly the sort of dude to become a truther after seeing a "documentary".

Has anyone listened to that James Urbaniak podcast? Because the preview they did this ep made it sound pretty awesome.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God their freaking out after Sharpie is killed...endless comedy gold.

And I kinda love that Jeff's a grognard now.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This was an incredibly dull episode of Harmontown and I would rather Dan didn't go off on long, repetitive arguments where he shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how a society can realistically function.

There's an interesting and deep conversation to be had about sex offenders'rights and how they should be treated by society. Emily and Kumail were engaging in it. Dan kept on repeating the words barriers and walls and society over and over and dominated the conversation with the same tired rant.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To be fair Erin's unwillingness to take a loving hint and her bullheaded determination to do whatever she wants in the face of logic, common sense, or her other friends' wishes ruins d and d far more often than Jeff's prickitude.

There's a line between doing your own thing and actively ruining the game for others because you don't give a gently caress about the game as written. It's like in LoL when you get the dude who runs into enemy forest and only buys wards, no equipment. He's ruining the game for you even if he's having fun being all whacky and whatever.

Notice last weeks podcast where nothing got done and nobody really did anything because Jeff and Kumail, the guys who typically try to take forward movement, were gone. Jeff may be an rear end in a top hat sometimes but at least he keeps the game moving so they don't spend thirty loving minutes tying swords to their goddamn heads and failing to make any attacks. It was one of the worse DND episodes they've had in no small part because nobody was doing anything. Im fine with how Erin plays the game but there's afucking limit,I actually care about the game's narrative moving forward, even if it is slight.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 18, 2013

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This episode was absolutely loving incredible from start to finish.

And nothing is hilarious and more pathetic than, one, onion av club posters jealous of predditors for hogging all the Harmon love, and two, claiming some no-name fan who organized a couple of flash mobs is responsible for your show being back.

The self delusion and self-importance of these communicon people is glorious

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Julietta was 100% joking. It was clear she held no hard feelings towards him at all, she was just doing a bit. A really funny bit.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This episode of Harmontown was absolutely loving incredible, holy poo poo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This was the best Harmontown ever. Ever ever ever.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sakarja posted:

He is, but after this episode I really want David Milch to be a guest at some point.

David Milch is famously one of the most unpleasant showrunners to interview, one who really dislikes dumb or easy questions and is pretty humorless, even about his own show.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Berzerker posted:

I really cannot stand Adam Goldberg. Or anyone from the audience, really. Except maybe that guy who yelled GET OFF THE STAGE at Goldberg.

Tyler's cool, Siike is awesome. And there's been a bunch of one-off guests that have been great.

And you know...Spencer came from the audience.

Anyways I absolutely adore Wonderful Christmastime, but Jeff and Dan's analysis of it had me in tears.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

superjew posted:

I can see him on one knee giving a twenty-minute proposal.

Is there a new one tonight?

According to nerdmelts schedule, yes

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Drunkboxer posted:

So why did Spencer switch games?

The home game spencer runs for dan is in pathfinder, which is probably the main reason why he switched (to keep both games easy to run simultaneously). You can note the unstated effects of the home game on the podcast by Jeff's reaction to d and d; he's a huge grognard now about it, in comparison to his previous bemused detachment mostly to humor Dan (this is also why, I suspect, spencer didn't choose any of Jeff's feats).

Also, spencer can now say he's not only a master of dungeons, but a master of all games.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Golden Bee posted:

No argument there.

For what it's worth you made the right move in banning Levi, although I wish you had explained better that just because Harmontown is ostensibly an island of misfit toys doesn't give someone carte blanche to be annoying as poo poo. This seemed to be the main issue that Dan didn't really seem to grasp when you were brought on stage a couple of months ago, which is weird since he's otherwise so tech-savvy.

And yeah I was super fascinated with this week's episode as opposed to the pedophile one which I utterly hated. Mostly because Dan didn't spend it repeating the same two words over and over.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 16, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So I only just decided to start listening to this podcast, does the DND game stuff start anywhere specific or is it one of those 'go back to the start and listen' kinda things?

Spencers brought up for the first time in five, and from then on it's weekly.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Illinois Smith posted:

I'm listening from the beginning. Are there any other D&D guest appearances as great as Tylenol /w Codeine? Proops is the best.

For my money Jason Sudeikis is the overall best guest they've had, although Mitch Hurwitz is up there.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Illinois Smith posted:

I'm up to the start of the tour, please tell me Erin's character dies a horrible death at some point.

Actually, sorta yes

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

My favorite part of the episode is dan, completely by accident, providing decent analysis of the Super Bowl

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Joel was maybe the worst guest they've ever had.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I started listening to harmontown when it first came out then stopped listening for like a year, then listened to the most recent episode on a whim one day and when they kept on mentioning Adam Goldberg I googled his name and was all "Man they sure do hate that guy from Inglorious Basterds"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think it's genuinely gross that Dan had a loving meltdown about that weird proudly ignorant girl being shamed for her lovely opinions, none of which she attempted to change, and thinks it's absolutely fine that Jeremy got loving destroyed by a crowd full of people for no legitimate reason.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sakarja posted:

I must've missed the first incident you mention here back when it happened. Which episode was that? As for Jeremy, I don't think what happened to him was all that bad. It was certainly entertaining.

Dan called up a weird girl who described herself as being bullied for being "absolutely beautiful" who then recommended to Dan that he should treat waitstaff like absolute poo poo and threaten their jobs. Then she said that all relationships have a "male" dominant and "female" passive member, then she got excellently skewered by a queer woman in the audience for being ignorant as poo poo and a bit homophobic, to which she responded essentially "well it's my opinion and you don't have a right to insult me for it" and then got booed at for being really lovely about her shirt opinions, to which the audience started chanting "let it go" as she wouldn't stop loving talking about how she was right and everyone else was wrong and also mean for saying her opinions were poo poo.

Then the next week dan spent the entire episode saying how the audience acted inappropriately and insulted her while literally arguing the "you're intolerant if you don't tolerate intolerance" line mra idiots trot out. Then he kept on going on about how the audience were bullies. Then he called the girl up who basically whined about how she was treated so mean while still refusing to acknowledge she was in the wrong.

But hey apparently it's fine for some no name to accuse some dude of making up a girlfriend for no adequately explained reason and the audience to then insult him over it! Yeah.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This week's ep of Harmontown...holy poo poo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I really, really hope Mitch becomes a regular, I mean he shows up often enough now and just Jesus Christ that stamps.com joke, what's a riot.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

KoRMaK posted:

She was wearing a fedora as well.

Oh is it...is it hot in here or is it just me, I need to impress her with my thoughts on atheism as we share a delicious meal of Hot Pockets at the local Fuddrucker's

Oh jeez Homophobe-tan please be my waifu

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Holy poo poo spencer ilu

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

When Erin hits, she really really hits but I think her main problem is that her personality means she's strangely enough the most egotistical of the group. Which is weird since Harmon is a classic narcissist and Jeff is his own right is pretty self obsessed. But with Erin she gets focused on something she thinks is funny or wants to take the spotlight away for the sake of humor out drama our whatever and what ends up happening is if it isn't hilarious or emotional or whatever it comes of what it is, Erin derailing the podcast for her own ends

One of the absolute best and conversely, absolute worst segments of Harmontown illustrates this in totality. The giant argument that gave us sharpies death had erin desperately trying to draw attention away to put on a show and that made the entire situation even more ludicrous and hilarious. Maybe this was in spite is her plans but her stubborn insistence on the show made the section all the more memorable

In contrast the portion where Erin as comptroller tries to force schrab and Dan to talk about each other's standup as if they were show promoters ruined what could've been a great segment of two best friends reminiscing about their early years together in favor of her lovely bit that was never funny in the first places

I dunno how accurate I am since I've never been there in person, yo Goldberg how close is this to reality

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Man could you imagine bobcat and Mitch on the same episode

Or, poo poo, Mitch and Robin Williams

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CPColin posted:

Anybody remember which episode has Rob Schrab doing his impression of Two-Face? Tonight's episode of Community had him doing Cobra Commander's voice and I'm jonesing for more dumb humor via his dumb voice.

pretty sure it's number 73. I know te two face impression is during an episode where erin is comptroller and 75 is the one with the peeing the pants story, in which rob schrab does the callback twoface impression. So it's either 73 or 74 but p sure it's 73

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Whose line was like 11 years ago, it could just be the passage of time

Also it could be the fact that as he admits freely he's been an alcoholic loner for most to all of those past eleven years until he met his Scottish girlfriend so his lifestyle might've been a part of it

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

HUMAN FISH posted:

They are all Occupation wearing different skinsuits

Correct

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God dan is the absolute worst DM ever

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Drunkboxer posted:

OR is he the best???????

He's great in the sense that he's entertaining but he's a genuinely bad DM and his gimmick only works intermittently. He's not a good DM and can't craft a consistently appealing throughline like Spencer can

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I spaced out in the middle after the quiz, yeah

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also anyone who uses the line "you're intolerant for not tolerating my intolerance" is immediately a terrible human being

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sithsaber posted:

What she probably meant to say was more dominate and more submissive. Hierarchies evolveorganically, even amongst couples and nerds. I'm not saying she wasn't abrasive, merely that wanting to express her opinion isn't dismissive of other's opinions.

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Also anyone who uses the line "you're intolerant for not tolerating my intolerance" is immediately a terrible human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You don't know what jokes are