Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I seriously cannot remember the last episode of this podcast i actually enjoyed listening to

the bottom fell out of this thing with a quickness huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think I'm just tired of the show, and basically every aspect that Harmontown does another podcast does better

like if you're looking for good riffs and goofs, listen to mabimbam, if you're looking for funny D and D playing, listen to adventure zone, if you're looking for comedians riffing on and loving around with a topic, listen to the dollop

there's nothing that this podcast provides that, at this current time, another podcast provides more fully and in a more enjoyable way

the only advantage that harmontown has is being a peek into the addled mind of harmon and his philosophy on storytelling and how that was informed by the events in his life, but they've fallen so far afield of that where it's now harmon soliloquizing badly about whatever current social justice topic he's both too ill-informed and too drunk to address with any amount of coherence that it doesn't really matter

and i just sorta came around on the drinking. i'm not a prude, and I'm fine with people drinking during their podcasts because, you know, whatever, but harmontown is the only podcast i listen to where its hosts get ripshit, blackout, unhealthily drunk and not only is that a dangerous lifestyle that the audience (and us, the listeners by extension) is enabling but it produces, more often than not, really lovely content

it's just so goddamn frustrating, this used to be my favorite podcast literally ever but now I just let it pile up because it's harmon getting embarrassingly drunk and, worse than that, being just plain not funny for two hours every week

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Evil Agita posted:

Basically xanadu era of Htown was awesome

it's more like pre-shadowrun era of Htown, there was still a heavy period between the loss of xanadu and when the podcast was monetized when the podcast was good

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i think that's part of the reason i stopped listening to harmontown, rick and morty just took harmontown and cut all the chaff out

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wil Wheaton is human garbage

It Is Known

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hmm so it looks like Dan and Erin are divorcing

a development that was both utterly predictable and still kind of depressing

ah, well

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

They didn't even make it a loving year

i mean, we all knew, right? we all knew that they shouldn't marry each other, right? like nobody was under the delusion that anything but this would happen, right?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I do think it's sort of irritating that both of them rushed into a situation that, from the outside looking in, was very very clearly a bad one and they then quit on it with, literally, a Kardashian level of speed

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also having actually been in the meltdown and seen harmontown live it's a hot cramped tiny loving room with poo poo lighting that you wait like an hour plus to trudge your way into (it's a whole process to go to that show, it's in an area of la that's fairly removed from anything really interesting in the immediate area, with no parking, in a lovely section of town), the night's harmontown regularly sells out beforehand (as i found out to my surprise one time when i just expected to be able to pick up a ticket if i showed up like an hour early) , you have to go through two different lines in the process of getting in, and if you live in la county (like i do) you probably don't live in fuckin' west hollywood, since, you know, it's west loving hollywood. you probably live in torrance or simi valley or compton or something, somewhere where the rent isn't a living nightmare, which means you got an hour drive plus both to and from there with la traffic which is perhaps the worst traffic in the loving world, and then you gotta go find the aformentioned nearly non-existent parking. it's a whole excursion. it's a loving process. there are many, many steps involved. So once you're in your seat and then people start laughing around you you're already predisposed to laugh like a loving hyena at every word out of dan's mouth because of the crazy time investment you made to watch this thing, and the fact that it's situated in a tiny, cramped, intimate area and everyone around you is roaring with laughter you just sorta...get into it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i would drink but i drive both to and from there, i'm a lightweight, and there's no loving way i'm paying for a taxi or uber to where i live given the hour-plus drivetime. i imagine being impaired does improve the viewing experience immensely though

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Golden Bee posted:

Someone update the OP re: Erin, in that she won't appear again

where was this confirmed

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

what's so bad about dave klein

Note: I don't listen to the podcast any more

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ElCondemn posted:

Reasonably you shouldn't expect anything at all from a free podcast, even if you've been listening "since the beginning".

Oh good, a "If you don't like it demand a refund :smuggo: " post

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ElCondemn posted:

I must have overlooked the subscription terms that explained what I'm entitled to when listening to this podcast. If you don't like something just say you don't like it, there is nothing that is "reasonably expected" with free content.

Toxxupation posted:

Oh good, a "If you don't like it demand a refund :smuggo: " post

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Good ending points:

When they switch from d and d that's the nail in the coffin for that segment

After that the show stumbled along at decreased quality until The Event happens and then it turns into an uncomfortable nightmare as the guy who wrote monster house sinks deeper and feeper into a narcissistic, self-loathing depression that craters the shows tone

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

boom boom boom posted:

I'm ninety episodes or so in, and I'm not fond of the increasing trend of having guests. I want to hear Dan and Erin talk about an argument they had for 20 minutes. Not so much Dan talk about serious issues at the same level I'd expect from a high school student

bad news, buddy

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

great minds with dan harmon is so, so great

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Old Boot posted:

The return of This Feels Terrible addressed a lot of what happened without much rancor. Worth a listen for anyone who's curious.

What happened, in summation?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I know when I hang out with my friends attention-seeking total bummer brokebrains who are incapable of reading the loving room hijack my convos and tell me incredibly boring incredibly similar stories about their failed attempts to make it as a writer.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like Harmontown should make it a hard and fast rule to not have a bummer story if you're from the audience. There's a reason that mbmbam, an infinitely superior comedy podcast, has that rule, and it's especially worse when it's not just a super bummer story but THE EXACT SAME SUPER BUMMER STORY. Also when the story's how they're introverted, shy, socially awkward, and some variation of depressed guess what, they loving suck as interviews from being-shocker- introverted, shy, socially awkward, and some variation of depressing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

There was a time I defended him and his story as powerful but it's hit the point where you're just listening to a guy with a literally broken brain get his lethal attitude enabled by others. Like I do m honestly have to wonder if he'd have ever gone off his meds or left his doctors if dan didn't tacitly endorse the hunter s Thompson/Ernest Hemingway lifestyle. If anything the one thing I really dislike about dan Is that he subconsciously buys into the hazardous and objectively wrong mentality that to be a powerful or effective creative you have to have suffered trauma and that sort of razors edge suicidal tendency/self-destructive lifestyle is something that dan really ideates. It's really dangerous not only because dan very transparently wants to die under that sort of status (troubled moody creative with addictions and problems who's mourned as a genius who left the earth too soon) and, whether or not he says it, he very clearly believes that's the right way for any creative to live, because it validates his own worst tendencies. And due to harmontown it gives him a platform and influence and that's when it gets harmful, because stuff like Sikh turns into this guy enabling a mentally ill dude to quit treatment.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Zsinjeh posted:

You make it sound like people are derailing the show with sob stories when that's exactly what Dan is asking from them. I'm not a huge fan either, but it's not something I get surprised about when Dan literally asks "is there someone out there who doesn't have a good mom relationship" and we then get a sad story about a dysfunctional mom relationship.

I'm not saying it's the best, or even fun, part of the show but he's actively seeking out sad stories so he can practice his armchair psychology.

Yes, Dan is definitely the one to blame for this. Although, at this point, brokebrain bummers are elbowing each other out of the way to get onstage so they can tell dan how sad their particular story is, so there's enough people at fault that you can point a finger in any particular direction and land on someone who's ruining the show via their presence and actions.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Harmontown is fine post-tour, it's when they stop doing d and d is the turning point. When Dan divorces Erin the podcast gets genuinely impossible to listen to as, if you have even an ounce of empathy, you realize that harmontown has become a way for an egotistical self-pitying alcoholic to get his lovely life decisions rationalized by redditors. Listening to him is enabling his actions and what's frustrating is he has just enough self-awareness to realize how self-destructive his life is but not enough to make any real efforts to change.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Harmonquest reminds me of how good Harmontown can be when it's just the main crew playing with Spencer and goofing over bringing up worthless brokebrains who desperately want attention to whine about their brokebrains, or dwelling on Dan being a pretentious know-nothing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ElCondemn posted:

The backstory is basically his wife wanted to party, and Andy Dick partied with her, and somehow everyone blames her going crazy on Andy. It really makes no sense, it's not like he forced her to do drugs with him.

He literally went up to Jon Lovitz, wiggled his fingers in front of his face, then said "I'm casting the Phil Hartman curse on you. You will be killed by your wife." Then he bragged about getting her re-addicted to drugs by, quote, "putting cocaine on my dick".

Also, Andy Dick is (in)famous in Hollywood circles for basically Bill Cosby-ing other people - usually males - by getting them high off drugs he supplies then feeling them up in an incapacitated state.

You basically know absolutely nothing about why everyone blames Andy Dick for Brynn Hartman's murder-suicide. He did everything short of handing her a loaded gun, has displayed zero remorse for his actions even years afterwards, and most gallingly bragged about it as if he was some sort of Reaper-esque figure. He's a total and complete fuckhead of the highest order.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 14, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ElCondemn posted:

I've heard the stories, and don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be an apologist for him. I think it's pretty clear he's an rear end in a top hat who probably doesn't deserve the minute amount of success he's had in his career. I'm just pointing out that he didn't cause anyone's death, no more than anyone else who was partying with her (or those people) at the time.

Just because he was mean to Jon Lovitz (who is also a huge rear end in a top hat btw), and bragged about putting cocaine on his dick, doesn't mean he did anything even close to "handing her a loaded gun". Also he's definitely a terrible person for taking advantage of people, and it is a travesty that he hasn't served time for his sex crimes.

That being said, I just don't think it's reasonable to blame him for something that he didn't do. I think mental illness is at play in all of this, and it's just unfortunate that these people came together and made bad decisions all around. I feel sorry for everyone involved, I just don't think it's right to throw blame around just because you don't like someone. Also personally if I were to condemn Andy Dick for his role I'd have to condemn people in my life who are good friends who have had Andy Dickish behavior during and after tragic events. People who are sober now and who have worked to change their lives for the better, I don't think those people are at fault either just because they were making bad choices at the same time.

If you heard the stories then you can't go it "makes no sense" that he'd be blamed for Brynn Hartman's murder/suicide when he has literally taken credit for Brynn Hartman's murder-suicide.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

prefect posted:

Was he out of his mind on booze and drugs when he said it?

So your argument is that Andy Dick shouldn't be held accountable for the things he's said or done? I'm not even talking criminal charges, I'm talking about the totally unprosecutable court of public opinion. Why is this a hill worth dying on? Why is Andy Dick, human monster, a guy worth so stringently defending from people saying mean things about him because of the awful things he has said and done?

Oh and just for reference I dunno about you but I've never gotten so drunk or high that I end up accidentally taking credit for a murder. Sorry, that's never happened to me before. Don't think that's a real common experience one has while on a bender.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 16, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I used to enjoy Dan's political rants. They were short, and Jeff and Spencer would give him poo poo for his uninformed rambling. But since Trump became president it feels like every episode has an hour of Dan rambling on about race and the state of the country and Jeff occasionally chiming in to agree that yes, this is a very scary time.

If Dan were the slightest bit actually informed about current politics beyond whatever regurgitated half-understood blog post he had currently read, spoken from a position of utter privilege both as a white cis man and extremely, absurdly rich, he'd have a point to the ramblings, but I can just open twitter and type in "shareblue" if I want to read a neoliberal whine about how racist the US is.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Where the gently caress is Jeff?

Whose Live is touring and Whose Line is probably taping right now.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

prefect posted:

edit 2: Dan knows about Chapo! And he wants to get one/some of them on Harmontown. :neckbeard:

This is easily the worst idea that could ever be conceived and I hope all the Chapo boys and girl realize it's either them walking into a loving lion's den or them basically never-endedly making GBS threads on a rich neolib who has no actual loving idea what the gently caress he's talking about beyond soft vague pointless platitudes about how racist or awful America/the South/poor people are that he's afforded to say because literally nothing that's happening directly affects him, and hard pass. If it happens it will either be unlistenable as Harmon's sycophants shout down people who actually know what the gently caress they're saying, or be the most uncomfortable poo poo ever as they contemptuously jokingly insult the gently caress out of Harmon's complete lack of knowledge. Either way it will be a disaster. It's like the people who want Jeet Heer on Chapo, despite every single one of the Chapo crew being like "all we would ever do would be poo poo on him for how terrible he is as he gets overdefensive". That's what would happen, except Dan's ego is way more fragile and he's way less informed than even your average twitter pundit.

Chapo works as great guests, but only on podcasts that are as far left as them (for instance, the Dollop), and/or as guests of people who are as informed as they are. Guess what Dan is neither.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 20, 2017

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sort of, it was one guy who did some really dumb poo poo with the host of Cum Town on Twitter targeting a rape victim, he got dragged for it, he apologized immediately, apologized on the podcast, and donated his salary to charity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Probably, they're famous for their targeted online harassment and silencing of women and PoCs.

This however is a load of bullshit

They've probably had more women and PoC guests and experts on their podcasts than white dudes