Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

SoylentCola posted:

I would happily listen to Bobcat tell stories every week.
You Don't Look the Same Either is on Netflix Streaming, if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

JesusFists posted:

Just saw Harmon's cameo in Arrested Development, still elated and out of breath at the convergence of my two favorite sitcoms. Looking forward to see if it gets a mention on the next podcast.

Nothing substantative. He talked about it on an earlier show, briefly, but I think it got cut from the broadcast.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

This episode has Iron Man 3 spoilers and a whole lot of poop discussion.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

makeamightysound posted:

We haven't had a good "hosed your mom" rap in a while
Listen to the tour again and tell me rapping isn't worn out forever.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

This week's Harmontown is being vigorously debated on R/Harmontown. If you wondered how moon colony selection would work, this is very, very interesting.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

What nobody realized is that Dan wasn't defending the secret thought crime of pedophiles. He was defending the secret beliefs of himself as an alcoholic.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Best Harmontown in weeks!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

Either that or he just drank more at the shows early on

The moonshine was discovered way into the show.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Arstan posted:

Elaborate! I imagine it's horrible in a "Dan shuts out reasonable people while letting clowns like Levi and Adam ramble incoherently," sort of badness. It'll have to be that level of bad to be skippable.

You know Adam posts here, right?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Well your speeches do get pretty rambly.

No argument there.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Insanity Prawn posted:

I dunno I liked his rant in that one, this was just more frustrating, with him not getting the point.

"I was blackout drunk last week, I wasn't listening."

*Ignores entire audience and cast shouting at him to let it go*

"I'M MAKING A LARGER POINT HERE"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Arstan posted:

I don't know why, but I expected him to be better at D&D.

To be fair, Chris De Burgh is currently a dickless, manacled, evil pop singer whose items are a series of injokes, and the situation itself is episode 8d of season 5 of any regular series.

Joel's a laid back dude, I think he did fine.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

radlum posted:

I've just started listening to the podcast and listening to random past episodes. I feel like I'm inside the mind of a madman, it is great.

What's Adam Goldberg's story? I know he is not the actor nor the writer, when did he became a part of Harmontown and why?

Listen to episode 1, he shows up in the first few minutes. The rest is history and mystery.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

RE Jeremy: He made a huge post on R/Harmontown about how he was really, really drunk when he came on stage. He had been drinking because he hadn't taken the breakup well.

More broadly:
The metanarrative of how everyone on the podcast thinks they come across (enlightened) is very, very different from how they actually act, which is 20-30% of why the show is so hilarious. The only two who're consistent with how they act in terms of politics and patronization are really Spencer and Kumail, which is why they're the best characters. There's a Dan monologue this week that ends in a really neat reveal about how he feels about black people. Also, during D&D I'm 90% sure he drops the N-bomb and the crowd does not go for it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Chexoid posted:

Spencer no :( .

He was drunk. Spencer isn't a big Bitcoin believer.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

MY ABACUS! posted:

I enjoy Harmontown, but I absolutely cannot imagine planning a vacation around it. That's some Adam Goldberg poo poo.

Is it? The last Harmontown I paid for was in 2013 and I ended up getting 3 comped tickets anyway. I'm on the schedule of "Nothing else on tonight? Better head down."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Occupation posted:

I dunno how accurate I am since I've never been there in person
It's just one of those generational/performative things. I think people's podcast success is inversely proportional to how much they want and need to succeed. It's why Spencer is so lovable and authentic. He doesn't care. Kumail might care a little, but he's a standup star and can handle himself on the stage. Jeff plays to the crowd (a lot of facial expressions that obviously don't come across to the taped audience) but is happy to be there.

If my girlfriend had a personality podcast, it'd be very awkward to come out every week and carry the weight of our relationship. The less stage time you have, the more you have to make every word count, so Erin is almost always in the position of having to play catch up (let's address the show's core point...let's address whatever Dan said about our relationship...and let's not take too long so we can get D&D in).

My own failures are due to the time constriction as much as anything. My best appearance was by far was on "U.S.S. Hubris" where I was on stage for a longish segment and able to get the rhythm down. And now that my life is going a lot better than it was last year, I don't care as much if I'm on stage or not, so the Oscar appearance worked pretty well.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 3, 2014

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

I don't know, whenever I hear a guy like Jeff go on for ten minutes about how great women and feminism are I can't help but think to myself "this guy must really loving hate women to feel like he has to overcompensate this badly." It would not surprise me in the least if Dan had a ton of skeletons in his closet.

1. You have a season 4 community avatar
2. Someone who explores his mannequin foot fetishes probably isn't "hiding something back", go psychoanalyze a mirror.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

Adam next time you bring your laptop to the show, record the entire show and then upload it as a harmontown bootleg.

That would've been cool a year ago, but ever since the tour they don't cut anything unless it's literally a legal matter. The bootleg would be 20 seconds of the audience WOOing as Jeff enters the stage and 30 seconds of Xanadu over chairs moving around.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Sithsaber posted:

I couldn't figure out where they should set the next bioshock until I listened to this podcast. A bunch of moon artisans falling into disarray because their mentor hosed off to write MonsterHouse 2 would get all the kickstarter bucks. Our first controllable action: whether or not we choose to save Adam Goldberg, who is in the process of being lynched.

Achievement Unlocked: "I worked on a Shark Movie!"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Sithsaber posted:

I made a bioshock joke when I heard the episode talking about the moon utopia and than i just ran with the concept.

Run farther.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You do know that creating fan fiction of real people is offputting and literally nobody likes it, right? I don't know if we've said it explicitly, but stop.

If you must, go to CC or Tumblr or Fanfiction.net, but jesus christ, this is embarrassing for all involved.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It's sad when the argument for something is "It's not the worst".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Having spent time with Proops, Tylenol is really just an overeth-annoyingly character-eth.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

Whatever happened to harmonquest?

Development limbo.

quote:

Or Harmontown Nights?

Pending fundraiser exclusive.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

*claps for no reason*

Dan thinks it's for no reason, but generally it's either punctuating something:
1)Fantastic
2)Sarcastic.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

(I'm listening to 30 HarmonCountry SommerVille).
I actually was FB messaging with someone during the show, with no idea that he'd repeat it. I also went to get gas and my car battery died.

Chexoid posted:

One of these days Spencer will make an NPC that isn't frustratingly obtuse.
They're almost always the straight men to the gang's insanity.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I was on the other side of the country while that show was happening, and my life was very mundane.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Paladin posted:

Spoiler for 110:

That happened.

I'm kind of hoping they try a new game for awhile. Maybe even let Spencer take a break and play?

There's a mix of "don't want to/aren't capable of" playing, which has got to be frustrating. Dan's often too drink to contribute (it's his quietest part of the show), they ask obvious questions that Spencer's spiel answers ("where are we?"), they've been openly complaining about pointlessness (ever since the isle of paradise)...

Spencer's great, but D&D has run its course.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Insanity Prawn posted:

Apparently Spencer is going to be in Brooklyn Nine-Nine in some capacity, according to his twitter.

He AUDITIONED for it.

Edit: Apparently not! I only saw his casting office instagram.

He still might be removed from the ep. Hollywood's tough.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 22, 2014

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

JesusFists posted:

So, it's pretty cool that they're going to start livestreaming the podcast. Might even make this thread more entertaining!

Where'd you hear this?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If she had a mic stand, she could more easily pour vodka. It was hard to get this across with Jeff yelling his face off.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Paladin posted:

People that know more about animation business practices: is forming a shell company for an individual show the kind of thing that is likely to have detrimental effects on the staff, or was the timing of that and the unionization just a wacky coincidence?

Every tv-show or movie forms its own company. That way an on-set accident can't cost the parent company millions and millions of dollars.

Edit: It seems lovely for the Unionization to demand action from last thing Friday to first thing Monday.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 20, 2014

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

MY ABACUS! posted:

It's amazing to read this thread after the reading the Harmontown subreddit. It's like everyone over there is incapable of seeing a single flaw in Dan or anyone else on the podcast.

Hahahahahahaha nope. You need to click "view children".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Brekelefuw posted:

I am seeing Harmontown this week in Toronto, and wish I had the asperger's to tell Dan how his marriage is going to be a nightmare if he already can't keep from fighting with Erin.
Do you really think Erin's starting poo poo? She's not the one who sees "Demon in a Bottle" as a lifeplan.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

umalt posted:

Don't you know they extended the scale; now it goes Aspergers>High Functioning Autism>Low Functioning Autism>Goldbergers.
They're always hiring on Big Bang Theory, Umalt.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Dan would be happier if he cooked. It's one of those skills that take you from "confused baby who hates his weight" to "person in control of his life".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

I was at the Seattle show and I'm pretty sure they edited out several of Dino's more abrasive moments.

The N word, mostly.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

TontoCorazon posted:

When he played D&D as their lawyer was downright funny as gently caress

That was Matt Gourley. Mitch played Avenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

How bad does Dan Harmon smell in person?

Erin takes care of him.