Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

CzarTim posted:

Yep, Hurwitz is a god.

He is, but after this episode I really want David Milch to be a guest at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Occupation posted:

David Milch is famously one of the most unpleasant showrunners to interview, one who really dislikes dumb or easy questions and is pretty humorless, even about his own show.

Really? I've only watched a few interviews with him, and while he's kind of intense and weird I never got the impression that he's totally horrible or anything. Anyways, the fact that they're both famously "crazy" showrunners is part of the reason why I'd like to have David Milch on Harmontown in the first place. Deadwood and Community being two of my favorite shows is another. But I know it'll never happen, so it's a moot point anyway.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Chexoid posted:

Man it should be illegal to be as funny as Mitch Hurwitz. After a certain point it just makes you feel bad about yourself.

Yeah, he should totally do that rival podcast, it would be the best thing.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Yeah, that was pretty amazing. Also

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Occupation posted:

I think it's genuinely gross that Dan had a loving meltdown about that weird proudly ignorant girl being shamed for her lovely opinions, none of which she attempted to change, and thinks it's absolutely fine that Jeremy got loving destroyed by a crowd full of people for no legitimate reason.

I must've missed the first incident you mention here back when it happened. Which episode was that? As for Jeremy, I don't think what happened to him was all that bad. It was certainly entertaining.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Occupation posted:

Dan called up a weird girl who described herself as being bullied for being "absolutely beautiful" who then recommended to Dan that he should treat waitstaff like absolute poo poo and threaten their jobs. Then she said that all relationships have a "male" dominant and "female" passive member, then she got excellently skewered by a queer woman in the audience for being ignorant as poo poo and a bit homophobic, to which she responded essentially "well it's my opinion and you don't have a right to insult me for it" and then got booed at for being really lovely about her shirt opinions, to which the audience started chanting "let it go" as she wouldn't stop loving talking about how she was right and everyone else was wrong and also mean for saying her opinions were poo poo.

Then the next week dan spent the entire episode saying how the audience acted inappropriately and insulted her while literally arguing the "you're intolerant if you don't tolerate intolerance" line mra idiots trot out. Then he kept on going on about how the audience were bullies. Then he called the girl up who basically whined about how she was treated so mean while still refusing to acknowledge she was in the wrong.

But hey apparently it's fine for some no name to accuse some dude of making up a girlfriend for no adequately explained reason and the audience to then insult him over it! Yeah.

I don't see the connection. Because Dan Harmon once stood up for someone who probably didn't deserve it, he should've done the same this time? The fact that he didn't is evidence of... what, exactly?

And I don't see any problem at all with some "no-name" accusing a dude of making up a girlfriend. He's a grown man who chose to get on that stage. Was everyone involved obliged to take his story at face value? They gave him plenty of opportunities to defend himself, and they questioned her far more than him, at least initially. And, as others have already mentioned, there's a difference between shouting someone down because you find their opinions to be unacceptable, and questioning whether someone is telling the truth or not.

Irish Joe posted:

I think Dan was more bemused than anything at the idea of a stranger being so invested in this guy's life that she'd challenge his relationship apropo of nothing. Also, the guy wasn't shouted down but was, in fact, given the last word on the matter. Its not even close to the woman who was told to shut up and sit down by the audience.

That being said, has anyone seen any pictures of the confrontation? I'd love to know what was going on to make the crowd support the woman despite her sounding like a complete loving nutball.

Yeah, they seemed confused and amazed by what was happening more than anything else.

As for why she would call him out, and why people would support her, I think it was mainly the fact that he was so obviously full of poo poo, and not in a way that was funny or interesting. It started out bad enough and then it just got worse as he tried to roll with the punches.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

First trailer for the Harmontown documentary is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0HM11V88rE

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Should've gotten Werner Herzog to do it. Oh well.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

TBH everything about that political discussion was incredibly stupid. It's hard to tell what's worst between Harmon's bright idea that people should just lie about what's happening or Jim's stunning revelation that voting doesn't matter and dissent is illegal. They sounded like angry teenagers.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

What happened to Erin? A messy breakup would be the one thing that could make Community season 6 worth watching.

I disagree. The last time that happened the result was depressing, half-baked episodes about how everyone should indulge Abed no matter how bad he gets.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

I don't know about you guys but I loved this week's episode. D&D was also great. I thought it would be a bad episode since none of the regulars were there besides Dan and Spencer but it was actually pretty refreshing to not listen to Jeff and Erin snark at each other.

I totally agree. Lots of funny stories, but the highlight for me was when Dan almost endorsed Rahowa by accident.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Cerepol posted:

Seriously gently caress yes I was pumped for Jeff but Bobcat! Also think they'll address the elephant in the room?

Rick and Morty LLC labor practices?

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Paladin posted:

I... guess I'll just stick to feeling non-specifically lovely about everything.

Why? The good guys seem to have won this round.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

TealShark posted:

I was with this episode until the hypnotherapist came up. I get physically uncomfortable when unfunny people try way too hard to be funny, especially in the company of actually-funny people. Thankfully, it doesn't happen too often on this podcast (or I'm blocking it out).

It seems likely that we'll see a lot more of that until the novelty of livestreaming wears off.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Chronicles posted:

holy poo poo was Dino annoying

I expected far worse and was pleasantly surprised.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Who, Donald Glover?

That's really uncalled for, imo.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

The Berzerker posted:

I liked this episode and thought Joel McHale was very funny on it. I also didn't hate Duncan for like the first time ever

Agreed. I think Joel McHale balanced him out, he (Joel) is a good substitute for Jeff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Yeah, I never had any problem with Goldberg or audience members with unacceptable opinions. But the mongoloid laughter basically makes it unlistenable for me.