Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

I've been listening to the shows in order and have been getting progressively hooked on the mix of Harmon's trademark humor and his (and others') stories of soul-bearing humanity. Had to post in this dormant thread to recommend episode 6 for Harmon's mannequin experience, some great butt trauma stories, and the character selection for their D&D game. Can't think of another podcast that consistently makes me laugh for 5 to 10 seconds at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

To start from the very beginning of D&D you'd want to start with episode 5 I think, since that's when audience member Spencer gets (self-) selected as DM. The audience interaction, and in particular the number of "regulars" who become minor characters in and of themselves, is one of my favorite aspects of HT.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Just saw Harmon's cameo in Arrested Development, still elated and out of breath at the convergence of my two favorite sitcoms. Looking forward to see if it gets a mention on the next podcast.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Almost caught up on episodes, but going slower now that there's "assigned" movies to watch, which has worked surprisingly well so far, I think. If you're not an obsessive completionist like myself, I'd recommend just hitting the highlights of the Harmoncountry tour, which got understandably repetitive as they were doing a show a night with little material to speak of other than the ditties they wrote on the tour bus and the ongoing D&D saga. I thought the most memorable shows on the tour were Austin, Brooklyn, Sommerville (for Adam Goldberg's brothers), Arlington, Pittsburgh (for the oft-referenced Dan-Erin fight), Chicago (for Dan's great day-in-the-life narration), Salt Lake City, and the departure and return LA episodes. Nashville and Kansas City were entertaining trainwrecks, the former because audience and hosts alike were drunk as hell, the latter due to a bad venue, the high number of non-Harmonites in attendance, and Jeff's absence as comptroller. (If you happen to live in Missouri as I do, though, hearing Dan's attempts to pander to Kansas City Kansans by rapping poo poo on Missouri while knowing absolutely nothing about the state was hilarious.)
I'm looking forward to seeing what the tour documentary ends up looking like, since as much as Dan tried to fit his experiences into Campbell's story circle, he had to admit he hadn't really changed at the end. Maybe Spencer-as-hero, then, which is probably what we all want to see anyway.

eartongues posted:

In episode 58, Dan explains that his return to Sony/Community wasn't quite official yet which is why they "lost" the episode.
Has Dan said if they plan to release the "lost episode" any time in the future?

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Finally caught up. Wish they had actually talked about The Abominable Doctor Phibes - the movie wasn't terrible, but wasn't nearly as memorable as ZARDOZ. Kumail has been great; glad he's a semi-regular now. Disappointed that the lost episode contained the D&D part where they finally escaped from the shadow plane. Anyway, now I've got to deal with Harmontown withdrawal, instead of being able to mainline 2-3 episodes per day. Nerdist podcast just isn't doing it for me anymore...

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

And Spencer becoming Dan's PA on Community! Great episode, even if jesus christ they can't make it through a turn of combat between the (admittedly great) tangents and Erin's well-intentioned but hopeless D&D strategy of roleplaying absolutely everything. For those who just want to hear the Community-related banter, it's at the beginning and around 1:07:30.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

I loving hate entertainment news. It doesn't matter that everything Dan said about Community season 4 was completely deserved, or that he went out of the way to point out that the writers did the best they could considering the situation they were in, because there were enough potentially "unflattering" quotes to take out of context to write a story that fits the established narrative. Thanks to THR and their ilk, we get a less candid, and probably shorter, show.

wafflesnsegways posted:

He's actually going to be Dan's personal assistant, which is a much, much better job than PA
You're right, wasn't the clearest time to try to initialize.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Just listened to 62, thought it was quite funny, though D&D has been weird and spotty, IMO, since they got back from the shadow plane. Spencer has seemed bored, and as mentioned above, depression may be playing a role, but I think the other issue is that we've slowed to a glacial pace due to the number of players, the growing tendency for players to focus on their bits rather than the story, and the continued antagonism between Jeff and Erin. I thought that Jeff playing his character to demonstrate the absurdity of Erin's arrow-rope-necklace plan might get her back on the rails, but instead she immediately attacks the guest, Roy I think, who was actually trying to help this time around. Part of me laughs, but the part of me that appreciates a well-paced D&D game wants to yell at the players for ignoring Spencer's multiple indications that they were fighting a demon, as Spencer finally did in this episode, revealing just a bit of frustration. To go full :neckbeard: for a moment, I'm pretty sure the devil only had 37 points of damage done to it, right? (16 from Roy's searing light, 2 from Kumail's rope-knife, 19 from Harmon's shocking grasp.) Pretty weak for a single enemy versus 5 people - thinking Spencer may have just had him die early so they could end the session and move along already.
Of course, troughs like these are pretty common in D&D games, but while many DMs resolve the issue by just letting the characters die if the players are going to play them thoughtlessly, but Spencer doesn't seem to be willing to do that. (At some point on the tour Spencer had said that he hasn't been keeping them alive, but considering the extent of their gently caress-aroundery and self-destruction, especially in combat, and the fact that, as far as I can remember, no one has ever even been knocked unconscious in combat excepting the second-to-last shadow plane fight, I find that hard to believe.)

Edit: Just realized I spent the entire post talking D&D. Thought the superpower discussion was really entertaining, though it's kinda sad to see a change in tone as Dan realizes that he can't really talk about his life any more, as his life is Community at the moment. Thankfully there were still a lot of laughs, and I didn't feel like it dragged even though the podcast was nearly 2 hours.

JesusFists fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 2, 2013

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Also enjoyed last week episode; too bad there won't be one this week because of SDCC.

Golden Bee posted:

Listen to the tour again and tell me rapping isn't worn out forever.

The silver lining, though, is that if you listened to the entire tour, you probably picked up the skills to make your own momma-loving rap out of anything, like so:

I hosed your momma, she was worn out forever
I hosed your momma, then a guillotine severed
her head! So since she's loving dead
I stuck my penis up inside her neckhole instead
I'm sorry

Much like the Nike endorsement, I think it's best that we agree that the joke has run its course and move on.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

I wouldn't want to hear Chicken Noodle Dick every week, but if they wrote a new verse every couple months and got a guest (Eric Idle, of course, would be at the top of the list) to sing it, that would be pretty drat cool.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Maybe it's because of my sociology background, but I found the discussion on gender identity really interesting. The nature of the freewheeling discussion means that they're never going to come to any grand conclusions, and Dan's insecurity undermines whatever progress they do make, but there's still a lot of good food for thought, if it's a topic one isn't turned off by. Because Dan obviously hasn't studied gender roles in academia, he can't quite fully articulate himself, but he was trying to question the whole necessity of the gender binary. Sadly, no one else understood or wanted to go there, so the conversation would always quickly return to the safer (but still interesting) ground of negotiating current gender roles, figuring out what constitutes a "gender-neutral" upbringing, etc. Kumail and Jeff each had a couple of good stories too.
So not at all a waste of time IMO, and certainly much less navel-gazey than the recent alcoholism pedophile episode. It's a shame D&D was cut short, but it was only because they were just getting to some really funny stuff at 90 mins in. They probably should have had Erin and Kumail come up earlier, though.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

According to the latest Community episode, one day Troy and Abed plan to live on the moon. With ROBOT BODIES :science:

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Surely Dan was at a party watching the Super Bowl with his friends last night.
Dan gives so few shits about football, he may not have even gone to a super bowl party unless someone tricked him into going, as JD Ryznar did in this video.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

For anyone else who's a fan of Rick and Morty, Harmon's tirade against hospitals really reminded me of Rick's hatred of bureaucracy, mostly from the pilot episode. I mean, the dialogue sounded like Harmon beforehand, but it tickled me to hear the parallels to Rick's strong ODD tendencies.

(around 1:08:00 in on episode 90): "Everyone's got their things, man. Mine is having loving fluid siphoned out of my body, through a tube, by a bureaucrat, so it can be sent to a lab. That's ME! That's MINE!" That and his description of how, when he's having blood drawn, he imagines himself being interrogated by the state, really cracked me up.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

I was happy to see that Dan seemed to take Community's cancellation in stride. As he said, the people whose hearts are really broken are those who've invested so much unpaid labor in the show. He's still got Rick and Morty, and he's got plenty of open doors no doubt, so if he's OK, then I can be too :unsmith:

Gonna take Dan's throwaway rap line about a Community kickstarter as just that. The wound has just started to scab over!

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Episode 101: http://podbay.fm/show/542228532/e/1401090421?autostart=1

"GRAB TARAGON!"

Great episode. I especially loved the deconstruction of the welder joke, DeMorge Brown's Obama impression, and every bit of D&D. Now that Spencer's had some absences from the show, they've done a better job of actually getting in some game time when they have him, so we finally get to have a little plot payoff, like Kumail's character finally getting uncursed unpossessed, after like 30 episodes or something. Spencer was really on, probably the funniest I can remember in a couple months.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Guys, stop making fun of him, it's not his fault that he writes bad fan fiction, probably smells funny, and drops his pants when he stands at a urinal! Leave the weird, pants-making GBS threads schmuck alone!

Got your back, bro.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

According to Dan's twitter, tonight's Harmontown will feature the return of Greg Proops! He's one of my favorite guests in small doses, but I'm thankful that Tylenol with Codeine doesn't make more frequent appearances in D&D, as his constant talking over everyone makes it rather difficult for them to actually progress in the game.

From what Dan said last week (or it might have been from his interview on Conversations with Matt Dwyer), the Harmontown doc should finally be getting a limited theater release in a couple months or so. Really hoping my local indie theater will have it - would be the next best thing to making one of the Harmoncountry shows, which sadly went through my area right before I became aware of the podcast.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

I kind of wonder whether Proops at least talks with Spencer a little before the game to catch up on the D&D plot arc, since he's practically a guest DM, considering how much power Tylenol with Codeine has.....what am I saying, this is famous improviser Greg Proops, who isn't going to let the story Spencer's been developing for months years get in the way of whatever action he thinks will get the biggest laugh at a particular moment (something every player has been guilty of, albeit to a much lesser degree). Spencer tries to right the ship afterwards as best he can, but it seems like he just has to let Proops do fuckall until he runs out of steam, as he did this episode once they finally made it to the purple caves. I'm saying this as someone who still considers himself a fan of Proops - he was my favorite on the British iteration of Whose Line, and I actually remember trying to enjoy his short-lived Comedy Central game show "Vs." - but his comic selfishness & arrogance (regardless of whether they're a deliberate part of his stage persona or not) wear thin much more quickly in this longer-form improvisational format. I'm usually for longer D&D sessions, but I think for Proops episodes they should cap it at 10 minutes, including tangents.

Edit: Goldberg, that was you yelling "it's not evil!" at 1:52:55, when Proops was trying to use his magic circle against evil on the jewel crabs Spencer had just explained were not evil, right? If so, thank you for saving me from yelling that same thing at my computer screen, and it ended up being funny if only because Proops acts so taken aback at all the audience / proletariat rabble.

JesusFists fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 9, 2014

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

New Harmontown - Episode 109

I thought this was a really solid episode, never dragged. The recounting of Rob's Schrabing Kumailing on Twitter had me in stitches. D&D was great - it sounded like the participants were a bit less drunk than usual, so that may have helped keep poo poo on track - both in terms of humor and progress made. There was even a moment where Goldberg stopped me from muttering at my screen ("Control-enter!"), making me realize that if I ever went to a taping, I'd be the worst person in the room, the guy echoing Adam Goldberg a half-second later.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

So, it's pretty cool that they're going to start livestreaming the podcast. Might even make this thread more entertaining!

Edit: we can tell Adam to shut up in real time

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

Where'd you hear this?

It's at the very end of the interview with Dan Harmon and Spencer on this episode of NerdPlay, an otherwise insufferably annoying "nerd culture" podcast in a radio morning zoo format. (I think either Dan or Spencer retweeted the link to the episode.) For those wanting to save their ears, the interview with Dan starts around 8 minutes in, Spencer comes on at 20 minutes in, and the blurb about the newly coming Harmontown website starts at 23:20.

The gist of the new Harmontown info (most @ 19:00 in) is that there's going to be a 15-city Harmontown documentary screening tour starting in October, hitting most of the same cities from the original tour, and at many a podcast will also be recorded. Spencer will be there for all of them, and Jeff and Erin will be there for most, and there'll be guests to fill in - Dino will be comptrolling in Seattle, for instance. And there's a revamped website coming "very soon" where you'll be able to subscribe to a livestream.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Soo apparently there was another podcast / movie Q&A today at the Vista theater in LA, and the audio's already up? Guest comptroller Kumail!

http://www.harmontown.com/2014/10/episode-119-live-at-the-vista-with-bonus-qa/

Just now starting it, looks slightly shorter than average but still a full show at 1 hr 45 mins.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Ok, that makes more sense, since they only left Toronto today.

So, show of hands, who's planning to subscribe to HT? It's my favorite podcast, so I think I'll be handing over $45 for a yearlong membership come Jan. 1st.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Livestream startin' in 15 mins, what what

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Thanks for that, Adam. Just like Community, once one gets past your navel-gazing aspects, there's plenty of value to be had. You're much better at writing than shouting improvised one-liners at the talent, if you happen to be taking life advice.

And shame on anyone comparing Adam to Irish Joe - at least Adam brings substance, grating as it is. Irish Joe is actually the first troll supercomputer, designed by IBM to pass the Turing test, but only if the human subjects are nerds who find it conceivable for a real human being to voluntarily waste their life by constantly making GBS threads on the shows they obviously care about and the people who make them.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

I swear I don't remember Morality being THAT bad, certainly more original than some of the shittier stops on the first tour (looking at you, Kansas City). Going to go re-listen because it's somehow so horrible that we're all still bitching about it a year and a half later, so maybe I listened to it drunk and forgot it was ear poison? Might liveblog in edits if the notion takes me.

1:00 - "record-low turnout," unsure if because of entropy or premiere of Breaking Bad. Foreshadowing!
3:30 - talking about how people will who didn't show up will regret it on their dying days. Funny in retrospect.
8:00 - Harmon drops a 2-minute build-up to yell at Goldberg for eating chips. Actually pretty funny.
11:00 - jumping right into the morality discussion. Science is Harmon's choice of religion, but science can't tell us morality. Capitalism by itself is not sufficient in ensuring we preserve our humanity. OK.
14:00 - Beef Fungus / Steak Bill takes the stage. He says that our ability to choose is fundamental to our humanity. Dan relates it to theology, eating the apple, etc. Implications in nature.
17:00 - for Beef Fungus Bill, 2 pillars of morality are empathy and reciprocity. They break down both words. Somewhat dry but not a terrible lay philosophical discussion. "You Might Be Autistic" a la Jeff Foxworthy is momentarily funny. Bill steps down at 22:30.
23:45 - Kumail takes the stage. So far, so good! Kumail jumps right in with his catch-all definition of humanity, which is "whatever you need to fit in to a society." Society's rules generally reinforce behavior that keeps propagating the human race, like loving people of mating age rather than kids. OK, now we're about to get into the heavy pedophile discussion.
28:00 - Short detour into culture, then into race/culture.
32:00 - they get back to pedophilia and Adam threatens to storm the stage, then finally goes ahead and does. Comedy gold no doubt ensues!
34:00 - Adam makes a point about hierarchy and they talk about that and anarchy, then for some reason they shift over to talking about ambition.
39:00 - Dan moves it back to handling the problem of pedophilia - what do we do with these people? When pressed by Jeff for a proposal, he says "I propose we stop proposing," which encapsulates what he wants to get out of the discussion, I think. The problem, Dan seems to be saying, is that the maintenance of polite society is requiring us to push more and more people out of it, as evidenced by our bulging prison systems.
42:30 - Lauren from the audience is brought on stage, and Spencer is brought up to make Adam leave when Adam tries to take Spencer's spot. Lauren studied gender and sexuality in Amsterdam and actually interviewed pedophiles! Closest they could get to a pedophile expert, pretty cool.
45:30 - After Lauren describes how pedophiles have to struggle with their urges (comparision to alcoholism), Kumail asks Dan what his issue is with how pedophiles are treated. Dan starts coming from the side of weird sexual fetishes, how we still shame people who want to are into x or y. Kumail says well, that's different, there's no victim involved.
49:00 - ?? comes up to discuss the issue of consent. Dan begins saying that looking at material on the internet doesn't make someone a monster, then realizes that he's "dangerously close" to supporting pedophiles and comes at it from a different angle, saying that with virtual reality in 30 years we could all be octopi loving the neighbor's dog. He decides what he's trying to get at is that whatever lines we draw are going to be messy, like today with people who drunkenly expose themselves getting branded as sex offenders for the rest of their lives. On the funny side, Kumail has a really good "Kidsey scale" quip.
57:00 - Poopy sex! Dan, Kumail, and unnamed audience member Kelly are all on the sex-positive side, with Jeff firmly against people pooping on each other. Good times.
61:00 - Kelly leaves the stage. Spencer now pushes Dan for a proposed solution; Dan says he's not here to propose solutions, and that "kicking the walls" is good. Is kicking all walls good? What about the murder wall? Dan sticks to his guns and invites anyone to come up from the audience and kill him. Gasps but no murderer.
65:10 - Lauren leaves the stage. Dan says the recent on-stage contention is evidence we need to evolve in our thinking. Kumail is unconvinced.
66:40 - Laura (not Lauren) comes on stage to raise the issue of chemical castration. Dan goes straight to Erin being stressed over having to castrate their dog Harvey. So?
69:00 - everyone agrees forced chemical castration is bad. So what then? Kumail says prison is best option; Jeff favors rehabilitation and community engagement, whatever that would entail.
75:00 - Prison reform. But we can't reform (most) pedophiles to not want to gently caress kids, so it doesn't matter! Everyone gets frustrated with Dan for not suggesting anything; he says the point is that the walls we're putting up won't work in the future.
79:00 - Jeff takes the lead and, as he's about to turn 40, questions whether it's even possible to consciously change society (hence the need for the moon colony).
81:50 - Dan counters (and agrees) by talking about how we co-opt the revolutionary spirit of youth by pushing it into acceptable avenues - the military, higher education, down to the way we treat each other. "Fighting for the tribe, instead of fighting against it." He gets into his element and says some provocative poo poo about youth and aging, and I remember why his philosophical ramblings are usually worth the time to sift through. Dan says the crime of the walls is in dehumanizing, rather than attempting to understand, people like pedophiles.
86:00 wall is a bad metaphor and keeps confusing things because they don't actually keep people from doing antying, but let's keep saying wall for another minute or so. They finally settle on barrier as a better descriptor just in time to try to end the discussion to go to D&D.
88:30 - Kumail's wife Emily comes up, but since she's an actual mental health professional, they ask her to add her piece. She talks about the necessity of empathy, even dealing with predators.
90:00 - OK, so everyone can agree that actual child molesters should go to jail, but what about viewing it on the internet? Dan starts to compare to thoughtcrime, but Kumail brings up financial support. Dan compares to taxes paying for bombs; Kumail objects.
92:00 - "gently caress one kid, do your bid!" Will be Dan Harmon's motto if he runs for office.
93:00 - Emily makes a joke causing Kumail to insist that he in fact does not gently caress kids. Jeff finally comptrolls them onward by simply yelling "DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS!!!"
95:00 - Kumail tells a "palate-cleanser" story about his parents to make the segue to D&D less awkward. It works!
100:00 - Spencer finally is able to do the recap with 10 minutes remaining. They move from statues to chains as lava starts to fill the room, then Breffy attacks! That's all they can do in the 9 remaining minutes.
110:00 Xanadu and we are outta here! I miss Xanadu.

I remain firm in my assertion that this is nowhere near the worst episode. If you hate philosophical discussions, it probably could be the worst, but you know what this had 0 seconds of? Rapping. It was all discussion, very light on the improv comedy, and for me, that's OK. If you care about social theory (I thought back to reading Michel Foucault's Discipline and Punish in college), you might even fight it cool that they're even trying to discuss these thorny issues. I can only imagine that anyone who sees this as the worst probably didn't slog through every minute of every single tour episode, because for every good one of those there was one less interesting than this show. //effortpost

JesusFists fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 24, 2015

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

I thought Julie the high girl was adorable, even if she brought Shadowrun to a screeching halt. Most Minecraft-y episode yet, I think, good stuff. I would watch the 9/11 jeans movie they spent like 20 minutes writing, even if it kind of falls apart in the third act.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Ok, since you've all been kind enough to quote Joe's posts so I can't ignore them, the main reason his troll / whine is bullshit is that they extend your membership for the weeks that they're not airing episodes. My 3-month subscription from buying the Harmontown deluxe edition, which started at the beginning of the year, expired on April 19, i.e. roughly 3 weeks after when it should have. Still going to wait to renew until Sunday in case it buys me a few extra days at the end.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

WOOO GOLDBERG, invited up to the stage!

Edit: Haha, out on Kermit caused 9/11, good show sir

JesusFists fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 27, 2015

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

Yeah, this week's episode was good. At least the divorce seems amicable? Erin posting joke picture w/ Dan's Emmy on Twitter, asking if 1 ) if it's hers or his, and 2) if she can take it, Dan RT'ed. So maybe it won't result in a shame / drinking spiral?
Speaking of shame / drinking spirals, I've been watching the full video of the episodes from the original tour (which you get if you buy Harmontown Deluxe Edition) and also watched the full Nashville episode last night - goddamn. The interesting thing is that he's one of those drunks who, even when beyond blackout, still doesn't really slur his speech that much. It was mostly more silly than shameful, and if he hadn't freaked out during a couple of failed raps (basically he put his hand over his face and said, "I'm sorry everyone, give me a minute, too drunk") I'm not sure we would have had any idea that the moonshine had made him any more wasted than usual.

Edit: I'd heard him reference taking the audience on a "bear hunt," and had no idea that was a kindergarten game that most little kids apparently play. Probably too violent for my preschool on the California coast?

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

He's working the crowd!

I thought the twitterstorm was all pretty entertaining to watch unfold. Does anyone know if the NYC Harmontown happened last night, as scheduled? Never saw anything posted about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

The NYC SeeSo show was not good. The crowd sucked, seemed like a bunch of launch party insiders and reporters, and Harmon started to hate them for it. Sadly, the guy's pretty obviously in a depression hole, so he wasn't able to turn their mehs into comedy gold.

Edit: And the amount of poo poo he started tossing towards SeeSo and one of their other projects made me wince for his career. No one came out of that looking good.

JesusFists fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 22, 2015