Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

I know what you mean about "walking around the yard" being different from what most people are used to, I tend to destroy a set of workboots about every year to a year and a half even buying quality brands. Still trying to find one that can handle actually being used, timpros seem to be turning into wannabe working man's fashion statement apparel at this point.

That is a kickass dump truck and I too wish I could find time to head out and work a summer.

I wish I could get a year and a half out of work boots.

I am lucky to get 8 months out of a pair of boots. Granite rock and steel rails are not kind on rubber soles. Or tops of boots. gently caress, boots in general. I have tried Red Wings and so on.... I found that Carolina Boots are about the best so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Farming really has become a lost art in life.

One of my buddies from way back when still farms his families "Century" Farm (a farm that has been in the family for over 100 years). He said its getting tougher and tougher every day with inputs costing what they do any more.

He has actually jumped into some exotic poo poo, and raising Llamas. Hes not pleased with it, but the extra income is really helping any loses. He is getting sick of getting spit on though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Brokenkuncklez, <3 you in the locomotive thread BTW. The land I run has been in the family for over a hundred years. :) Oh, gently caress Llamas. I hate those things. Alpacas aren't any better, they are just plain assholes. A lot of folks have to have other enterprises other than just farming or ranching to make ends meet.

Haha, thanks. Its a really hosed up job to be polite about it. Unless you work in the railroad industry, you really can't explain it.

It really stinks about the whole ranching thing, pretty much the only way to make money in this industry is to have close to 3000 acres, and even then it can be a struggle. The cost of inputs alone is completely outrageous.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
When my dad was alive, he did ranching in SD, and mostly did Herefords. Mean rear end bulls though....

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
2 things!

What is up with this lovely little yellow piece of machinery in the back ground?

Also from what all the old school guys say is that Detroit's really need to be revved to make decent power. Looks like the local CO-OP is served by rail... what RR serves it?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Man I really like the way those wheels look on that car. God drat perfect.

Yeah... GM really had some piss rear end quality, and you would even think the "halo" car would have some decent quality control.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What did I say about Carolina's? They are the cats rear end.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
You fuckers are making me want a bobcat even though I have no place to use it. Though a skilled operator with a little bit of marketing can easily pay off a used machine in a couple of years with enough work.

I have heard guys to say stay the gently caress away from Case-IH machines though. I have heard nothing but horror stories left and right about their machines.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Whats the control off to the right with the 10 digit key pad?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

The keys (password) as well as a gauge pod for things like temp, oil pressure, hours, etc.

I would love to strut around with the fact that my bobcat is "keyless" :smug:

The old drunk neighbor down the road from me used to use a Melroe bobcat for pretty much every thing. It was the old side sticks that would engage the clutches and foot pedals, but still managed to drink his Old Milwaukee while leveling ground. He even carried around 2 extra beers in an empty sugar sack, for those extra long jobs.

This is also a man that had no left ear. Though he did have a pretty bad rear end collection of cars that he could no longer drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPFdjJb2O6w
This really brings back lots of memories.... just the sound alone.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 24, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
PartsCountry.com is a JD program and it loving rocks. I know a buddy that has a couple of old rear end Gleaner combines that he can still find pretty much every part he has ever needed of there too as well.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

I'm talking about things like getting slammed for leftover oil on the frame AFTER you've fixed the leak and it's obviously dry/no source can be found/clean part above the oil.

Good thing Rover doesn't make heavy trucks for the US :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Do you know of a good place online to look up parts for a Case 1740 skid loader.... I am turning up blanks here. Or best just to call the dealer?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Try searching here, asking if you can't find a thread.

Thanks, I will do some digging. There is a Case IH 1740 for sale cheap near me, just needs a new drive belt. I checked out the machine, starts and runs pretty good. The bucket and loader hydraulics work fine, just wont go forwards or backwards. You can see a big ol broken belt down in the bottom that looks like it heads to the clutches.

The guy is asking 1500 for it. Figured I can use it to do dirt work around the folks house, do some quick side work, clean it up and sell it. Good skid steers in decent shape sell routinely for 5000, especially if its diesel.

Edit: From quick googling, it shows its capacity is 1700 lbs, which is pretty good because most modern loaders are around 2000 lbs. But this one is about 1/30th the price. :v:

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 19, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Here is the PDF about the loader.... I think its just a clutch arrangement.

http://www.casece.com/en_in/Gallery/Downloads/xPM_SSL_1740/cce_SSL_1700-Series_Brochure_1-19-2012.pdf

It sounds like a decent loader though, going to check it out tomorrow after work. I imagine its the big gently caress off belt that runs to the clutches.

I know really nothing about skid steers, I can manage my way around a tractor though. I cant imagine poo poo being to different.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://omaha.craigslist.org/hvo/4074969996.html

its not tracked, its old, but it could be mine for next to nothing. But if the hydraulics aren't leaking like sieves, the motor is strong, and the rest of the drive train isnt hosed, it would be the deal of the century.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

I'm not really sure what you do with a wheel loader other than load trucks with materials in a yard. It's really not any good for actual digging, as you can't reasonably get on a pile without tracks. Or at least you shouldn't be. I dont' even think it've ever even seen a toothed bucket on one.

And those old ones usually can't even make it over the sides of a triaxle.

That's why it's so cheap.

It would be more used for doing poo poo around the folks house and other random assorted tasks. I dont plan on doing actual digging, but we do have a few small areas to level out, which again, wont take much.

I figure I can get the ol boy down to a 1000 and snag it if its decent. I don't plan to do any actual "construction" or anything of that nature. Plus if I do anything more than this, I am going to need a seriously bigger truck. The ol Range Rover can only tow so much. But there has been a rash of guys dumping fairly late model F350 2 wheel drives with dump boxes on em, so I am fairly certain things aren't going well in the small time construction business.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 20, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just wanted to join the raving about Kubota.

My G/F's dad just picked up a new compact utility tractor... and let me tell you that has got to be the most fuel efficient, extremely powerful and comfortable tractor. Its a nice little machine and can really get some work done while being easy on fuel.

I would dare say that its almost better than a Deere of the same size for half the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

My beard is intact and Sam is ok. :) We've got another fire that we're looking at Wednesday, who wants more inferno pictures?

I am in!

I know the last time they did controlled burns near my folks place, they had a dozer in place pretty much just destroying a ring around the fire to help keep the fire contained. Do you guys do something similar or just keep the areas wet?

Also, Kubotas are the god drat poo poo. Tough little machines for the fraction of Prancing Deere TM price.

• Locked thread