Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Will I be allowed to spam the poo poo out of this thread with pictures of my sister's Aussies? :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

Question about the Aussie dogs. What should the 'typical' coat be like? The aussie that came into the dog care place I used to work at had a REALLY thick coat, and it was pretty long too. Is the standard supposed to be long? Medium length? What about thickness? I could bury my hands in his coat when I would pet him.

It definitely ranges within the breed. My sister's dog is working-bred, and has a moderate coat. You can still really get your hands into her ruff, and her butt-fluff is kind of poofy, but the fur on her body is not terribly long or thick.

I think show-bred Aussies tend to have those super long, heavy coats, because it's the aesthetic that wins in the ring.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Puppy pictures, ahoy!

Murphy is my sister's Australian Shepherd. She comes from working parents in rural Virginia, and was only one of two puppies from her litter that went to pet homes - I believe there were five or six other pups in the litter, and they all went to working homes. Her breeders thought she could cut it in a working home but that she would be happier as a pet, and most of their customers wanted a male anyway.

This is Murphy's sire, Slugger:

He's the primary working dog on the farm, herding sheep.

And her dam, whose name I unfortunately can't remember. She's more of a pet, although she takes her turn out in the field when necessary.

You can see a hint of five-week-old Murphy-potato in that picture. This was the dam's second and final litter.

And here's my sister, holding her new tater:

The breeder held on to the puppies for a few more weeks, then it was pooch time all the time.

For a while my sister thought maybe she had brought home a very tiny bear.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fraction posted:

Slugger looks cool as hell. I think the 'male is primary working dog, female works sometimes or is just a pet' thing is pretty prevalent - it was the same for Kalli, and for a lot of other litters I was looking at. I guess if your primary stock dog is a bitch, either she never gets bred or you have to use your secondary dog for a couple months whenever she is.

Aussies always look weird to me without tails. I know that's A Thing for them, and I guess it further separates them from BCs, but it just looks odd. Docked dogs, man.

At what point do herding puppies awaken and show their true, evil selves? Kalli is so chill atm.

My sister said Slugger had a vertical leap of like five feet. He sounded pretty awesome.

I've always heard that among Aussies, the males tend to be a little more drivey than the females. Or at least they have that reputation.

The tail thing is always interesting. If I recall correctly some of Murphy's litter were born with natural bobs, but hers was surgically docked. It's funny to watch her wag her little nub-nub. My sister's new rescue Aussie has a huge bushy fox tail. I believe the gene for natural bob tail is a bit like the merle thing, breeding two short-tailed dogs can result in deformities in their puppies so good breeders avoid it. But don't quote me on that.

We always joked that Husker had enough tail for both him and Murphy. :unsmith:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fraction's right, there aren't enough pictures here.

This is Murphy at her first Thanksgiving with our family, in 2009. She was about four months old.

With my dad:

For comparison, this is Thanksgiving 2012, all grown up:

Hiking at about 10 months old and not quite understanding the concept of the leash...

My sister and her husband recently adopted a new pooch from a local Aussie rescue. His name is Browning. We don't think he's a purebred Aussie - he's quite tall and lanky, and has some retriever-ish traits. My vote is Aussie/Golden, other guesses have been Aussie/Lab and even Aussie/Chessie.

Cookie?

Whatever he is, he's a doof.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

a life less posted:

She looks like a really lovely dog. It's great to see another goon who plays flyball.

My sister wants to try and get into it, possibly with both dogs depending on Browning's drive. I was joking with her about trying to get a greyhound into it, since I may look into getting another sometime next year, and it turns out it isn't that much of a joke - there are apparently a fair number of them involved in the sport, just not at the really high levels of competition. We're probably going to ask for a smaller female hound when we're ready to adopt again, so I guess it's not that far outside the realm of possibility :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

a life less posted:

Greyhounds are, in my experience, pretty rare simply because they're so big. The jump spacing doesn't work for their long strides. Whippets, however, are loving everywhere in flyball. I see a lot of them who wash out, and a lot who never really take to the sport, but when you get a drivey whippet who loves the game, it absolutely tears up the lanes. I loves them. Just wish they were all a bit more... boisterous and rough n tumble.

That's what I always assumed, but there are definitely some full-sized greyhounds competing - including some VERY tall boys if the pictures are any indication. There are several owners who say the only real issue greyhounds have is the turn at the box. And apparently if you have a low enough jump height, a lot of them just run over the jumps because they get a lot of air while running - not sure if that's kosher with the rules, though? I don't know that much about the sport other than it looks fun.

Like I said, we want a smaller female, and a lot of the lower-end female greyhounds are about on par with a large male whippet in terms of size. It would of course depend on a) whether my sister gets her rear end in gear, since I don't want to to it by myself, and b) whether the dog was interested. But I thought it would be cool :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Aussie playdate!

Only one of these dogs is a purebred Aussie, of course. Browning and Blue are both almost certainly mixes. Apparently Aussie mixes are becoming increasingly common in our area, to the point that the local breed rescue very rarely has purebred dogs.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fraction posted:

Blue is goddamn gorgeous. I find a lot of Aussie mixes look really nice (to me at least) - same with a lot of BC mixes.

He's believed to be an Aussie/ACD mix, and yeah, he's really pretty. My sister was looking into adopting him, but he's only 6 months old and she was really not interested in dealing with a puppy right now. Her coworker ended up with him instead, so happy endings for everybody!

Apparently he and Browning get along like a house on fire, but Murphy was being a prude and decided she wanted nothing to do with this rambunctious youngster. She might have thought Blue was there to stay and was mad that my sister keeps bringing home new dogs ;)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Here's another picture of Blue for you guys.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I know Notsowelp has pretty solid experience with teaching dogs to ignore livestock, maybe someone can lure her over here to give some advice.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

wtftastic posted:

Every time I see a blue heeler I'm pretty much 100% like I NEED ANOTHER ACD, BUT A BLUE ONE. I think people's default mental image of an ACD is blue.

(if I can get my bf to help with kool aid dyeing my dog blue I will try to make him blue)

I guess I'm just weird then, because my default mental image is always red. Then again, the first ACD I ever met was red, so maybe that biased me :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I think that's the case with the different kinds of coonhound, blueticks and redbones and b&ts are actually different breeds. I may be remembering that wrong, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I got AssassinPrincess to do a custom drawing for my sister as a Christmas present.

• Locked thread