Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

When did Wes Anderson start making manga

He did Bleach right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

chumbler posted:

Don't insult Bleach like that.

lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

I'm in the mood for some body horror/monster recs. Doesn't necessarily have to be good or even scary really (though those are definitely a plus), I just want stuff with cool spooky designs to read through for spookmonth.

I am a Hero has some cool designs, same for Apocalypse no Toride both zombie genre stuff.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

I'm in the mood for some body horror/monster recs. Doesn't necessarily have to be good or even scary really (though those are definitely a plus), I just want stuff with cool spooky designs to read through for spookmonth.

Homunculus

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I Am Fowl posted:

Just read the Knights of Sidonia manga. I don't think they're making any more of the show. Also, the anime deviates some from the manga so start from the beginning. It's a great manga, have fun!

Agreed.

The anime is fun enough for a bit but gets meh and ends poorly

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mirage posted:

I'm not sure we're done with Subaru as the antagonist, what with the whole "Become my spy, destroy them from within, my order is absolute" discussion she had with Neon.

Though with Neon's epiphany, who knows where that'll really lead.

Shiori Experience is really the best.

Yeah I agree with the other takes as it seems more she was saying that to give her student a push, knowing it was what she wanted but was too conflicted to step into, which is a cool bit of character progress for Subaru imo. I believe that because Subaru's own action to Shiori's band playing seemed to be the same wonder and appreciation that everyone else had

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That was a great entrance

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

He was a lib incrementalist.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

Out is finally being updated again https://manga4life.com/read-online/Out-MIZUTA-Makoto-chapter-179.html

I like it but the levels of violence involving kids still seems a bit ridiculous lol. people getting permanently maiming injuries and the police are basically nowhere to be seen

Yeah that and the total level of planning an organization for like 17 year olds. It's been pretty fun to read but it really takes a lot to suspend disbelief that these are high schoolers

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, isn't Out a period piece? Delinquent gangs in Japan were genuinely pretty seriously hardcore a couple of decades back.

It's from the writers youth so late 80s / early 90s I believe?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

I''m getting a little tired of this fight. I was fine with how it ended with Zerofuku, but now this guy comes along. :shrug:

Kinda same.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Galvanik posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for older hosed up psychological manga? Stuff in the vein of Boys Abyss, Chi no Wadachi, or Yakedo Shoujo.

Seconding Homunculus, also Goodnight Punpun

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gungrave, Gangsta

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

nrook posted:

I just binged 700 chapters of kingdom in a week and now when I close my eyes I see dudes killing half a dozen soldiers in one swing.

I'm jealous.

Kingdom is a great constant. It's always the same badass epic poo poo, the art never gets better, but it's out every week.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

How to draw a horse

Step 1 draw a mailbox

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LatwPIAT posted:

Ten episodes into Canaan. This show is really leaning into the Psycho Lesbian canard, huh? Oh 00s anime, you were a thing. Overall the show is also just kind of... weird. Stuff's happening but I don't care that much about the characters, who are extremely shallow, and the conflicts that are set up feel really contrived and at times contradicting the show's own internal logic.

Also, another request for recommendations: I've sort of been on a "teen soldiers trained in rigid and horrible environments"-kick lately. I gotta get my monthly dose of YA dystopias somehow. Does anyone have any manga recommendations in this field?

Jormungand, Most all Gundam but particularly Iron Blooded Orphans, full metal panic for starters.

Sorry that's more for anime but there is good manga for Jormungand at least iirc.

There's a manwha called Teenage Mercenary on webtoon that's decent.

Dead dead dededestruction is another one kinda.

Girls Last Tour seems pretty spot on though for what you're looking at.

That Works fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 20, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I Am Fowl posted:

I remember really liking the Jormungand anime. Felt like following a Bond villain.

It was really interesting and I wish there was more of it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Anyone watched The Fable movies that appeared on Netflix recently? I feel like the comedy of the manga won't translate well.

Yeah I didn't check them out yet for the same reason. Could be good but I would need to hear a solid rec on em.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

verbal enema posted:

wonder if the live action DINER ever came out

It's been out a few weeks (months?) on netflix

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well
Tenkaichi is fuckin weird as hell.

Featuring Ranmaru Mori as Monster can Astolfo
a legion of generic oda retainers to be used as comedic relief

This goofy stance

Seems like a picture for rheumatoid arthritis

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Begemot posted:

Sure, but there's a lot of art out there, and not enough time to engage with all of it. You don't need some perfect pithy slogan, just a basic description of the premise.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

gently caress yeah

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

MizuZero posted:

final verdict on Out: It’s an entertaining read (and definitely ultra-violent) but the plot progresses way too glacially for me to recommend it over similar titles. For me a large part of the appeal of delinquent manga is watching them horse around together in peacetime, and as the series got mired in the park and the junkyard that fun element has been predominantly subsumed by endless backstory. The fights are sick and this one seemingly upcoming seems like it’ll be one of the sickest, so I remain “in.”

Yeah I definitely like it but the MC at this point has become almost irrelevant to the greater story arc that had been building up which kinda leaves me lost as to where everything is going.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Anyone remember the name of the series this tweet was about? The synopsis was salaryman goes against rear end in a top hat yakuza.

Inuyashiki or My Home Hero from just that description

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Julias posted:

People forget, but large portions of the middle of 20th century boys were very meandering. Still a good manga, but I think that's just a part of most of urusawa's manga, especially the longer it goes on.

This.

I still love 20th Century Boys but it definitely felt like in 1-2 stretches that he kind of just kept the story going through the motions till something bigger/better happened, almost like there wasn't really a planned story arc (or the one there flopped). Monster had a bit of a dry spell in it too. Whatever, I don't care, it's still great stuff but yeah... had some slow parts.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Just started reading Fable and this is some excellent stuff. Art is refreshingly realistic and the chapter with Youko and the drunken underling was amazing. If it keeps this level of quality up it's definitely an A+ would read again series.

Good news, it does.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

dipwood posted:

Any recommendations for manga like The Fable or GTO? With a focus more on adults than students, good comedy, Real Jobs, etc.

Wave: Listen to me!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

dipwood posted:

Wave looks interesting, although it has an anime adaptation which makes me hesitate to read the manga. Always feel like I'll spoil myself for the eventual anime.

I have seen the PlanetES anime a long time ago and it was very good.

The anime was only one season and sadly not renewed. The manga has a good bit longer run (2-3x iirc).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah the anime for Wave is mostly identical to the manga. Both are great imo. Solid comedy / slice of life.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

I think I burned out on it and stopped after the timeskip, probably time to go back to it since I really like the mangaka. Kinda hope they do another non-supernatural story after this though.

What did they do before this?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SubNat posted:

I saw that it's been mentioned before in the thread: To you the immortal / To your eternity.
How on earth did the series throw itself off a cliff as hard as it did? I've been reading it recently, enjoyed the siege... and now I really dislike the series.

So it timeskips up to modern Japan? Fine, I guess, curious to see what it'll do there.
Oh, it focuses on mostly highschoolers, alright.
Ah, they have to go to the high school now too, of course.
Wait why is there so much screen time dedicated to some creepy loving step-brother and sister pedophilia poo poo? Why is that the loving focus of 'people noticing that people around them are changing.'?

How did the series take such a loving sharp turn and decline? Does it course correct at all?
Over the course of a couple chapters it burned through any goodwill I had, and is incredibly goddamn slow at setting up what's going to happen onwards.
Feels very 'Author intended to end series, is now continuing it out of spite.'.

Glad you wrote this tbh. I didn't really like the siege arc and kinda stopped reading then waiting to get back to it after things moved on. To know this is how it moved on... well ok, it was fun for a bit, prob never going back to reading that one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

dipwood posted:

Recently read Yankee Juku e Iku, it was really good and short. (35 chapters) A lot of "delinquent" media seems to last a really long time, but the brevity was really good here. The author did a lot of show instead of tell.

Sounds interesting, thanks

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

For you Under Ninja appreciators

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1749253898890514465

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

sinky posted:

Finally, the 'Smoking is Really Cool' anime.

Supermarket got an adaptation?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Any new (last 5 years) horror or thriller manga with a more 'serious' feel to recommend? By serious I guess I mean something with less of a splatter/b-movie vibe - Manhole, Monster, and Homunculus are good examples of what I'm looking for.

I only finally got around to just starting it the other day, but “My Home Hero” starts out pretty freaking dark And is interesting so far. Hopefully others will comment in here though if it goes off the rails in a bad way, I hadn’t heard anything about it like that yet and I’m only about five chapters in.

Separately, a manhwa named “Bastard” about a teenager who is the son of a serial killer. It might be worth a look.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

unimportantguy posted:

I know this post is a joke but this would make me really happy to see. A good set of voice actors could have a lot of fun with it.

It was and yeah totally, would be a real feel good slow burn kinda deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I felt like it only worked as a short manga, but it just keeps going. The show is outright bad.

Good to know, thanks! I am not too far along still because its a bit of a heavy read and I only like to get 1-2 chapters in at a time. I'll see if I get tired of it as well.