Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Chas McGill posted:

I tend to prefer fairly grounded stuff with surreal elements rather than outright fantasy or s/f.

I realise that what I'm recommending is outright fantasy but Shin Angyo Onshi is very good and worth a read. Akira too if you've only seen the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Vagabond has some of the best art you'll see in any manga. Vinland saga is great and a pretty big departure from Planetes for most of the series. Lone wolf and cub is a classic but Dark Horse's translation can be pretty annoying at times due to the sheer amount of untranslated japanese

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

After reading a bunch of josei recently*, I want something to redress the balance. What are some good cyberpunk/near-future mangas with a dark outlook? I'm planning on trying Akira already, and I didn't particularly like the manga version of GitS. Blame is on my list as well.

*I made the opposite of this post a few weeks ago in the other thread.

Riki-oh and Damned are both fairly entertaining and fit what you want

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Read Akira if you've only seen the film. Everyone read Akira if you've only seen the film.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

Usogui:

Kurosagi:

I've only read part of Usogui and it was alright, but I'm not super big into gambling manga so I can't really compare it quality-wise to anything else. I like Kurosagi quite a bit though. Each con gets 2-3 chapters or so, kind of a con-of-the-week format and there's a bit of an overarching plot that weaves through the whole thing. There's a considerable amount of detail explaining each con or scam, both on the villain side and what the protagonist is doing.

Usogui is pretty violent a lot of the time and also gets updated so slowly you forget whats happening, its great though. No idea why its updated so slowly since afaik the manga is hundreds of chapters ahead of the scans

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its George Bush rather than a generic US president and you forgot that Che Guevara is in it. Obama also appears later on

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Relin posted:

only 96/371 chapters of the first part are translated :gonk:

The anime is 2 seasons and covers the entire first manga series afaik.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Prison with Che Guevara and Neanderthal man were both the third series. Series 2 is serial killers then Chinese kung fu tournament then Muhammed Ali. The anime if you can track it down covers the entire first manga series and introduces almost all of the characters that appear later on, but honestly isn't particularly necessary since the series is entirely people beating the poo poo out of each other.

Garouden is by the same artist but based on a series of light novels and features similarly muscled people beating the poo poo out of each other, slightly more realistic though. Teeth get smashed out all over the place because nobody wears a mouth guard

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

No idea, I think its written way more serious than this manga adaptation since there is some other more serious manga series based on it but I've not read the novels, since I don't know any Japanese

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Genocyber posted:

I just read the first couple of chapters and it seems pretty decent.

Can someone name a manga/manhwa (it was published in both Japan and Korea IIRC) I'm trying to remember? It was about a muscular bounty hunter type dude who was the son of a legendary lady bounty hunter. I might have actually been shounen now that I think of it, but it was also fairly violent so maybe not. :shrug:

Jackals?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Yup that was it, thanks.

The same artist has a new series being translated by Mangacow, Mercenary Maruhan, that isn't too dissimilar but involves people fighting demons. Starts off a bit slow though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

There is a new Drifters out. Is it translated infrequently or just published infrequently like Berserk?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The last I read of it the 1 armed guy had lost the second arm and was having the bone also turned into a weapon? I have no idea how far through that is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Wait was that before the weird experiment arc that went on for far too long?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

coathat posted:

I fuckin love violence http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/the-hard-r14976

Bless you Saruwatari

lol at all of this he owns

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It may turn out to be terrible, but with WSJ starting a manga with people beating the poo poo out of each other it seems fitting. Kengan Asura is about corporations hiring people to fight each other or something its only got 2 chapters so far but has 12 volumes

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kengan-asura-r15089

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think I might have asked before, but whats the deal with when Drifters gets released it seems completely random. Does the guy just have freedom to produce a chapter when he wants as a result of how popular hellsing was?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My only problem with Dorohedoro is the world feels really small. Both the side of the city and the magic user side

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

There is definitely another city because the main characters visit someone who had been a victim of a magic user in another city iirc. Its a minor complaint really

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Can you give me a chapter number or will I know it when I see it?

Read from the start until you get fatigued by reading it, before the end, then do the same thing every time new chapters are released, without ever reaching the most recently released chapter

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the baki anime covers the entire first manga series, if not quite in the same order.

Also read Tough, both what is translated of the first series but especially the sequel which is Baki as done by the guy who made riki-oh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

keyman is v good if full of fan service if anyone isn't reading it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm reading fist of the blue sky ages after reading fist of the north star. Is it actually any good? I mean I assume it will be

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is pengyou nakama or what its annoying me

edit "my slate is as clean as cocaine" lmao

Jose fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 17, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you recommended a manga then wrote huge walls of text most of it behind spoilers rather than sell anyone on it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what are some good seinen battle manga that aren't by satoshi mizukami or tetsuya saruwatari or feature humanoid cockroaches

maybe something like kingdom that is just brutal fights all the time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they're sports manga imo but i've read that anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i suppose i should say if its regularly recommended in adtrw i've probably read it i guess. i'm just after something i might not have read

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

Your last option is to make your own cool battle manga

i'm really bad at drawing but Psyren being in a seinen manga and having brutal fights like it should have done and wasn't able to in a shounen manga would be good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm rereading akumetsu and forgot how entertaining it is. shame about their follow up series

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i guess it helps that being english my current government are either doing everything in akumetsu or covering up their friends who have done and are getting away with it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is keyman a monthly release or just translated whenever?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

I don't think anyone cares...

the people who read prison school definitely do since they keep bringing it up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Or that anyone will ever actually bother to translate the missing chapters

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

It's kind of appropriate for this series though.

i've not read it it just seems common that when someone jumps ahead to translate all of something whoever was currently do it get all upset and stop and there is a gap in the middle nobody ever bothers with

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

whatever happened with zetman? i remember reading it years ago and then it got really weird/bad and then i stopped following it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, but nobody's ever posted that before, have they? Tons of transformation poo poo but no "wearable people" far as I remember.

Perhaps my brain has simply blocked that particular one out.

one piece did it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

my only complaint about dorohedoro is the world feels a bit small. both of them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I kind of think that it's supposed to. Dorohedoro doesn't really take place on the Earth, and as far as we know their world really is small.

i know its not meant to take place on earth but there are 2 cities the magic users materialise in and then clearly a huge world that isn't just these cities that is never explored. i don't mind en being ruler of the world so much even if it makes it small but i'd like it to be a bit bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm catching up on terra formars and lol that the pyramids were built by aliens