Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I tried to read it but found it really hard to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So is it pretty much confirmed at this point that Yuki is completely sane but fakes it to cheer up everyone?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Dungeon Meshi is amazing

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I was a bit disappointed that mimics were basically just hermit crabs but the treasure bugs make up for it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

shhhhhhhhhh

ANIME IS GOD GOD IS ANIME :anime:

I feel like I'm the only person in the world still reading this lol

To be fair to Destroy and Revolution it's not like he's being portrayed as the good guy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah but I imagine it's the sort of thing where "This guy is correct but I disagree with his methods," so the dumb Baby's First Political Theory stuff previously mentioned is still true.

The key issue with that sort of politics is that it's really obvious people with those views are starting from an initial opinion (in this case "I dislike the US and like (my rose-tinted view of) past Japan") and then look up facts to support that. So you end up with a bunch of accurate criticisms of the US, but, because these facts are actively sought out to support a particular world-view, they don't understand the big picture (that these issues are more a result of a complex combination of economic system, history, culture, etc and certainly not unique to the US).

It's actually kind of interesting from an American/Western perspective. Because of the US's position as a superpower, this particular brand of right-wing doesn't really exist here. In the US you see something along the lines of "the US is great and other countries are dumb and/or evil", but in other countries like Japan you instead see "Japan used to be great but the Evil Empire ruined them!" It's predicated on the existence of a more powerful Other, while in the US there obviously aren't any other countries that are more powerful and exert a ton of control and pressure so you don't have this sort of world-view.

Yeah this seems pretty accurate.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I dunno, the Monster Tidbits 2 Omake was pretty amazing.

Was that a reference to The Thing?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

psyer posted:

The Town Where Only I Am Missing got nominated for the 9th Manga Taisho award along with a couple of other seinen manga.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-01-18/9th-manga-taisho-awards-nominate-11-titles/.97690

Dungeon Meshi and Golden Kamuy are also nominated.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So a translation group has picked up Nanika Mochigattemasu Ka. It's by the Bokurano/Narutaru guy and it's basically the same plot as Destroy and Revolution but worse. The main character goes from 0 to murder hilariously quick and their way to improve society is so dumb. I guess maybe that's the point? The authors other works are usually pretty self-aware.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Never read Narutaru 'cause it seemed gross but I thought Bokurano was pretty good, if a bit edgy for no reason.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just as I was wondering if it was cancelled a new chapter of Immortal Hounds appears. Nothing happens.

By the way I thought it was licensed by Crunchyroll but I don't see it on their list of manga so I guess not? I'll remove the link if I'm wrong.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Buy Wolf Guy
You know you want to

I think they put people on a FBI watchlist for that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Dare I ask why?

It has like 30 chapters straight of the main heroine being raped. Seriously.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

mycot posted:

Does anyone have a link to the Wolf Guy thread because the idea of people trying to brush off the first rape only for them to keep on coming sounds like a disaster.

No? There were a few creepy things before that but as soon as the rape started everyone was pretty much gone.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wasn't the whole point of the plan in Akumetsu just to draw attention to the corruption to the point where it can't be ignored anymore?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Serious Frolicking posted:

I think anyone who read holyland figured out how full of poo poo that author is.

Example?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ahiwattamplifier posted:

what happens in Gantz? I don't think I've read anything since '08 or '09
They were in Osaka or something and there was a girl with big boobs and everything was at its rapiest

Yeah that's pretty much when it became poo poo.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gonna have to say Last Wish to the Shinigami. The whole series is about a central mystery the main characters are trying to figure out, but then the series got cancelled. So the last chapter is literally just going over all the clues and the last page is a flowchart with "You figure it out" at the bottom.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yardbomb posted:

I was just let down the last fight ended so fast it felt like.

All the fights in Shigurui end fast, that's the point. Have you never seen a samurai movie before?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah it's pretty anticlimatic.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Everyone in Eden sure is miserable.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hardly the most unrealistic part of that manga.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They explained a few chapters ago how resurrection works, and it isn't a guaranteed thing. That'd be a hell of a downer of an ending though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was wondering, what does Dorohedoro mean?

Nonsense word that sounds cool.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't know how to feel about that Dungeon Meshi chapter. Feels a bit too convenient that Laius and Marcille know so much about bones on top of Marcille knowing some secret forbidden resurrection magic.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
As shown by the current situation with the spores, being immune to magic isn't an issue for En as long as you breath. That's how he beat Kaiman the first time they met after all.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wild Horses posted:

Half the forum read wolf guy as well when it ran as well. Trashy manga has a sort of allure that's hard to explain

To be fair when the rape started the thread was abandoned.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hakaijuu is great and obviously takes a lot of inspiration from Lovecraft and The Mist. Too bad a handful of chapters get translated a year.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wonderland is by the same person who does Sprite and it's pretty good. It's about a city in which everyone suddenly shrunk.

The dog is the best part of the manga.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 26, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Higanjima is alright but the pace is glacial and there's something I find really creepy(not the scary kind) about it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HenryEx posted:

I can't check it right now, but is that the Daruma doll one? If not, i'll definitely have to dig that one out again, too. Can't believe i forgot about it.

Yep, it sure is.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

That Works posted:

For survival game poo poo there was a manga for Battle Royale. It... wasn't good.

When they localized that to English didn't they rewrite a bunch of it for no reason?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess Chidaruma was lonely being the only self-made devil.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is that just Japanese Rambo?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah the 2nd series continues the story, it's not really a sequel.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's gone in a really weird direction too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's vague so far as to what happened, yeah. If it does mean she's MTF it's definitely portraying it in a negative light though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That is way too many words for a series like Fire Punch. I think it's kinda bad and all over the place in terms of tone and story.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

Haha jesus christ the comments section after that Fire Punch chapter.

It's actually kind of interesting to have a remotely realistic depiction of transgender issues in a manga, particular in a setting that isn't either related to "traps" or involving a cute transgirl/woman (like Bokura no Hentai or Hourou Musuko*). In fact, I think this is the first time I've seen a transman at all in a manga. Given how bad Japan is with issues related to gender/sexuality, it's kind of surprising to see this kind of thing, especially in a manga that isn't specifically focused on gender issues.

*I know Hourou Musuko had a girl in it who likes dressing like a boy, but IIRC she wasn't actually trans and just liked dressing that way? I haven't read through the whole thing.

Those comments are impressively awful.

Kissmanga posted:

why are you calling Togata a he? Yea yea I get it, people now a days like to called by what they identify as but... This is a manga and togata is a female no matter how you look at it. She, that's right I said SHE is drawn as a female and we just recently found out SHE is a man on the inside but that doesn't change how she is drawn and the way we have seen her till now. I guess this translates to real life but because it's a manga i'm less likely to hurt peoples feelings (even though I don't understand the whole male but female/ female but male thing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm pretty sure the bee part is not true.