Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Double posting because the author of Dorohedoro has a new sci-fi series. https://mangadex.org/title/31688
Yesss, I didn't even know about this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anyone going/gone to the manga exhibition at the British Museum? They're showing stuff from Golden Kamuy, Ashita no Joe, Professor Munakata etc.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
My friend went (I'm up in Edinburgh and I can't really justify going down for the exhibition) and sent me a nice Princess Jellyfish postcard.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The cutest gore manga around.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Witch Hat Atelier is awesome...it sometimes reminds me of Berserk even if the tone is totally different.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like Immortal but I'm ready for it to end since I'd love to see what the mangaka does next.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anyone reading The Fable? It's about a legendary hitman who has to lay low for a year in a small town. It's mostly comedic although there's a certain edge to it what with the crazy Yakuza in the cast.

Fable himself is a juxtaposition between childishness (he's obsessed with a comedian called Jackal and doesn't seem to have any other interests at the start of the series) and cold blooded ruthlessness when required.

I'm finding it entertaining although I'm probably missing quite a lot of jokes given my limited exposure to Japanese culture outside of manga...

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I appreciate how weird and daring it is. It's so drat sad at times though.

Oima is really exciting as an artist and writer, pretty amazing she's only 30.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Aw, You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead ended quite abruptly. I enjoyed it a lot...somehow the extremely episodic nature of the stories kept it fresh.

Why does the mangaka always write "hello, I'm Uguisu, I mean Hiyodori Sachiko" in the afterword? Is it their old name, or a reference to something?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Shigurui is amazing but I feel a bit queasy after every chapter. Blown away by the art and energy of it while simultaneously sickened by its content...the quintessential old school seinen experience...

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I was reading and enjoying that until the translation was stopped. Time to pick it up again.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any good recent examples of the wandering tough guy genre? Stuff like Lone Wolf and Cub, Fist of the North Star, etc.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Tosk posted:

Heresy is a dark wuxia-type story about Mo Lianjian, disciple of a sect of immortal sorcerers and exorcists, and the trials he faces in pursuit of self-cultivation to find his path.

Not really into the cultivation Hogwarts stuff but the art is cool and I like the monsters.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, that's my read of it too. I've really enjoyed how Subaru has been fleshed out recently and it's clear the artist loves drawing her - there was a great sequence a while back illustrating how she interacts with the band Vs strangers she wants to impress.

As for Jack In, I can only imagine it as a horrible cacophony of competing solos.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anyone watched The Fable movies that appeared on Netflix recently? I feel like the comedy of the manga won't translate well.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That looks ace, thank you for redeeming this thread

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
gently caress yeah

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Whaaaat this is the best. I'm looking forward to some comeuppances occurring.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I watched the first Fable movie last night. It was actually pretty good. The casting was solid, most of the characters are a good likeness aside from Ebihara, though the guy they got still works for the role. Not as good as the manga, but they do try to capture its essence. Will probably watch the second one soon.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Youko is, in many ways, more terrifying than Fable himself.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
There's more fable up on mangadex already. Praise be.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I made the mistake of starting Hibiki before bed last night and ended up reading until like 3am. It's very compelling while being utterly ridiculous. I'm a massive sucker for manga about creative careers though, no matter how unrealistic.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's so good. The expressions really make it. Might finally choose an avatar with a fable face...maybe Ebihara.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Fable

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Woah, I am cautiously optimistic.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The ending of Fable was just right.

The mirrored panel with the boss and misaki reacting to the proposal was perfect.

Is there a sequel??

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Kingdom is really samey. My eyes just glaze over a lot of the battle scenes now. I'm still reading it since it doesn't update that often, but it's kinda sunk cost at this point.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
https://mangadex.org/title/07d3503f-d35e-4dd2-aeb3-3973f7d20750/mystery-to-iunakare

Don't Say Mystery is a fun manga about a very perceptive high schooler with giant hair who solves mysteries.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's fun but also ridiculous that everyone this guy meets simply shuts up and listens to his incredibly frequent and lengthy monologues.

Yeah he does command unwarranted attention. Maybe it's respect for the hair.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

UnderFreddy posted:

this is really good and now i'm really mad you linked a manga that hasn't updated in 3 months

I just finished reading the available chapters and I'm mad too now. At least it didn't end on a cliffhanger.

I didn't realise how famous the mangaka is. Definitely going to check out her other work.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Err, the new group doesn't seem to know English. It seems interesting, but the chapters uploaded by "monkescams" are really poor quality.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Fable is really good but the frequent rape-as-plot-device is getting old. Feel like the mangaka is self aware enough to do better.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think I burned out on it and stopped after the timeskip, probably time to go back to it since I really like the mangaka. Kinda hope they do another non-supernatural story after this though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

That Works posted:

What did they do before this?

Koe no Katachi/ A Silent Voice. Redemptive story about a deaf girl who is bullied at school.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ringo Roadagain posted:

takahashi tsutomo is great. here is his episode of manben https://www.naokiurasawa.com/takahashi-tsutomu/

also everyone should read bakuon rettou by him too

Manben is so good. Totally forgot about it and need to watch it all. The one with the Crying German guy is funny cos he's so concerned about appearances that he would only agree to the show if he could obscure his face with a selection of drawings of different expressions.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Where do I start with Go Nagai? I know his name from Devilman, but is it his best work?

Squidster posted:

It's been a long time, but a new chapter of The Bugle Call just dropped.

Beloved Empress

This is super cool. Excited to read more.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any new (last 5 years) horror or thriller manga with a more 'serious' feel to recommend? By serious I guess I mean something with less of a splatter/b-movie vibe - Manhole, Monster, and Homunculus are good examples of what I'm looking for.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 24, 2024

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for all the recs, excited to read them.

Tosk posted:

If you haven't read the other Urasawa classics, 20th Century Boys, Pluto and Billy Bat are probably all worth a look.

Maybe Usogui if you don't mind the gambling angle, although it's really long and I haven't finished it.

Maybe Sanctuary, which is old but a classic, or Manhole? Probably not dark enough but Planetes is also excellent, by the same author as Vinland Saga.

I'm not sure if it is quite cerebral enough and I haven't finished it since starting years ago, but Akumetsu might be worth a glance as well. It's a bit ultraviolent in an Old Boy way from what I remember though.

Edit: my bad, didn't see the "last 5 years" in your post. Disregard this, I'll leave it in case anyone else wants recommendations along these lines
Haha, I've read all these! They're all good recs though.

Brought To You By posted:

This one just started it's official english publication. But you an try The Tree of Death: Yomotsuhegui. Story starts off with a former cop being released from prison after he got revenge for the murder of his wife and child on one of the two men responsible. He goes to finish what he started years ago with the remaining man but things don't go according to plan.
The mangaka is Kakizaki Masasumi who also did Green Blood and Beast Battler. I like his art style and general vibes to his writing. Tree of Death does go do some dark places in just the first volume but both the scanlations available and Seven Seas TLs seem solid. 2nd volume will be out later this year and the final volume is TBA
This looks rad

Lt. Lizard posted:

If you want a serious psychological horror with almost no violence, gore or supernatural, I recommend Chi no Wadachi/Blood on the Tracks. It's finished and ran from 2017 to 2023, so I think it counts.

Julias posted:

It started 7 years ago but Chi no Wadachi (Blood on the Tracks) finished a few months ago if you haven't read that.
I should definitely read this now it's completed.

RuBisCO posted:

Not strictly horror but it might fit your vibe, read Innocent/Innocent Rouge by Shinichi Sakamoto. Or #drcl but that's not finished yet.

Gannibal also sounds right up your alley.

I really like Kasane, though more of a psychological horror.

For something maybe a little more outside what you're looking for, I really like The Girl from the Other Side. It's a fairy tale horror thing as opposed to a modern slasher horror though.
These all look great. I've read the Girl from the Other Side and enjoyed it, so that's also a good rec. I think I actually got a physical copy of it in an ADTRW secret santa exchange many years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

nerdz posted:

To add on to this one, SOIL by Kaneko Atsushi was quite trippy and interesting. His new series, EVOL has a bit of The Boys feel to it and I wanna see where it goes with it.
SOIL was awesome. I didn't know about EVOL though, so thanks.