Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Captain Invictus posted:

And you'll get to, thanks to the success of Prison School after the initial failure of Devil Blues. :)

You might be misunderstanding me though. Prison School is a "good" series. It is not a good series.

Yeah, I get you. I'm just saying I have no interest in reading something like Prison School personally, no matter how subversive or critical it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DoubleDonut posted:

I don't think I've ever been as disappointed with a work of fiction as much as I have with Bambino Secondo so far. The original series was so drat good and Secondo apparently gets even worse than this.

I warned you about Secondo bro

I told you dog

:smith:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wild Horses posted:

Did they stop translating All Rounder Meguru or what? That was the best martial arts manga i've read and ... nothing or little forever

Kotonoha is where scanlated manga go to die

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Yamikin Ushijima-kun is really good and really fukken harsh. Especially if you've ever borrowed or considered borrowing money it'll scare the poo poo out of you.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Syrant posted:

It's a real trip to read a bit of Franken Fran and then some Helen ESP and realize the same woman does the both of them. Helen ESP is really :gbsmith:

What was the series where the guy takes on Japanese myths and urban legends? The 'woman in the gap' chapter unnerved the piss out of me.

I can think of like two or three series like this just off the top of my head so you're gonna have to be more specific.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

2 months honestly isn't that much, certainly not long enough to say that it's been abandoned. Scanalators' release paces can vary widely based on assorted factors, and some are just slower than others. It's a hobby after all.

In fact, looking at their release dates on Mangaupdates, a few months between releases isn't unheard for them. Plus there're good odds it's a monthly series anyway.

Dunno about these scanlators and what's up with their schedule, but in the case of Nobunaga no Chef the series is way behind on scanlations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I wish the art wasn't so ugly. That sounds to be right up my alley, otherwise.

I unironically enjoy Baki's art. It just fits so well with the story.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Baki is a series where a side character tunnels through some poor man's intestines and bursts out of his mouth and it is played totally straight

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I would like to add that in the world of Baki, ~60 year old Muhammad Ali trained so hard he overcame Parkinson's in order to beat the poo poo out of his own son.

Also the main antagonist for the majority of the series is a man so strong he went around having kids all over the world so that hopefully one day they'd grow up and provide him a decent challenge.

Basically the entire world is metal as hell and you should read it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Hi I am the person who scanlated the entirety of Bambino by himself come to tell you Secondo is bad and not to read it

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

I'd love to know at what point in the original Bambino! series that you almost went "gently caress it, this is hot garbage" but stuck it out for the sake of completion.

I'm pretty sure its the Ban in New York Arc. That was....weird.

Bambino was still good all the way through, in my opinion. It got weird with the NY arc being an eyerolling pastiche of mafia movies, and the Hayama thing came outta nowhere, but it wasn't anywhere as bad as Secondo got like pretty much right out the gate. I blame that dude with no sense of taste, I forget his name. He's one of those antagonists who you hate not because he's a hateable character but because he actively makes the work worse and less entertaining by existing. I didn't want to see him get his comeuppance or whatever, I just wanted him out of the manga and wished he'd never been a character in it.

And then later on the mangaka lets his right wing opinions and xenophobia really color the series and I never bothered to finish reading it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

ban in new york was great

It started out hilarious because hell yeah New Yorkers are gonna walk all over you and fleece you for everything you've got if you're a googly eyed tourist like Ban was, and even the bit with the mafia don going all "I recognized you because of your spaghetti" was endearingly corny, but the actual mafia cooking battle itself was pretty bad to me. Especially at the end where all of these mobsters are talking about honor and poo poo, and the two opposing dons are the only people in the entire room who're actually thinking and talking like criminals. Even those underhanded brothers, who're probably gonna quietly disappear and be found in a dozen different dumpsters a few months later, are all like "We lost fair and square your cooking was stronger, we respect you." That was really dumb.

The highlight of that arc to me will always be Ban singing to that disabled singer-songwriter, though. I cringed in fierce secondhand embarrassment just translating that scene.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I like how the black guy's speaking all hood-like and then the translator kept the extremely Japanese HIIIIEEEEEEEE scream

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think I've heard a single positive remark about that franchise. Why keep reading?

Bambino was pretty good, so I did it and then I stopped without moving onto the sequel because it was bad.

Then someone started doing the sequel.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Fuuka's embarrassment is the best :vince:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Kyte posted:

Why does anybody leave projects unfinished indeed.

Burnout, most often. It's hard to keep motivated, especially when a series is at a low point or a lull before action.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jose posted:

It may turn out to be terrible, but with WSJ starting a manga with people beating the poo poo out of each other it seems fitting. Kengan Asura is about corporations hiring people to fight each other or something its only got 2 chapters so far but has 12 volumes

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kengan-asura-r15089

I trust Hokuto no Gun's taste in manga. We'll see where this goes.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Except for the second chapter where a child falls in love with him and he pets her on the head. It's more than a little bit questionable...

This, however, is one of the most disturbing manga I've ever read -- not in a creepy way! It's somehow enhanced by the fact that it's drawn like a children's cartoon in that abstract, simplified style. It reminds me of this anti child abuse commercial.

Young girl has crush on older gentleman, older gentleman pats her on the head exactly like he does her cats

Truly disgusting

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I found the art hard to parse and whole bit at the end was just eye-rollingly on the nose. I expected better of your recommendations coathat

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Baki is unironically the best manga ever made

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Daniel Lau's ability to rise from the dead once every year will never stop being impressive

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The important thing to know about manga scanlation is that 50% of it is poo poo, 49% of it is still poo poo but edited to be readable (but still mistranslated), and 1% is good but the translator stopped and the series hasn't been updated for years.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It is good my pengyou

Not as good as Fist of the North Star but what is

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jose posted:

is pengyou nakama or what its annoying me

edit "my slate is as clean as cocaine" lmao

It means friend in like Cantonese or whatever the language of SnK's setting is.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Mikl posted:

For the love of god, Bambino Secondo :ughh:

It began as a good manga about cooking, now it's a terrible manga about everything except cooking :cripes:

Why do I subject myself to this? :(

AnonSpore posted:

I warned you about Secondo bro

I told you dog

:smith:

e:

AnonSpore posted:

Hi I am the person who scanlated the entirety of Bambino by himself come to tell you Secondo is bad and not to read it

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

sports girl is a pretty good series that just started. it is a korean webtoon though

I can confirm that this is good, also titties

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I still laugh sometimes when I think of Holyland's narration style. Two dudes be fighting and suddenly the mangaka interjects with "Many people think (insert opinion about fighting). However, based on my own experiences, (insert different opinion)!" in a little narration box. This happens a buncha times throughout the manga.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah but I imagine it's the sort of thing where "This guy is correct but I disagree with his methods," so the dumb Baby's First Political Theory stuff previously mentioned is still true.

The key issue with that sort of politics is that it's really obvious people with those views are starting from an initial opinion (in this case "I dislike the US and like (my rose-tinted view of) past Japan") and then look up facts to support that. So you end up with a bunch of accurate criticisms of the US, but, because these facts are actively sought out to support a particular world-view, they don't understand the big picture (that these issues are more a result of a complex combination of economic system, history, culture, etc and certainly not unique to the US).

It's actually kind of interesting from an American/Western perspective. Because of the US's position as a superpower, this particular brand of right-wing doesn't really exist here. In the US you see something along the lines of "the US is great and other countries are dumb and/or evil", but in other countries like Japan you instead see "Japan used to be great but the Evil Empire ruined them!" It's predicated on the existence of a more powerful Other, while in the US there obviously aren't any other countries that are more powerful and exert a ton of control and pressure so you don't have this sort of world-view.

I mean, Donald Trump says America is poo poo but you (yes, you!) can make it great it again by driving out all the poors and non-whites which is basically what you're talking about. The hostility is turned inwards but it's still a set up a bogeyman sort of situation.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I just binged all the currently released chapters of Dungeon Meshi. Holy poo poo Senshi is basically my spirit twin and this manga is amazing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

BUY HELCK

e: More seriously, if you like that kinda thing check out Hanazawa Kengo's stuff maybe?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Buy boys on the run and then have someone translate the last like 4 chapters that have been left untranslated for 2 years!!!

!!!!!

!

Believe in Daniel Lau. He's not the fastest but he cares and does a good job.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I never got why people loved Akumetsu but seeing them unravel as Wolf Guy went on was very funny

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Someone on /a/ did that annoying thing where they translated/scanlated a later chapter of a series ahead of the current chapters

People who do that should be castrated

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Not to mention that just because you hold back on reading a new release far ahead of schedule doesn't mean that the people you talk about it with will.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

i just want someone to finish translating the last volume of boys on the run

Believe in Helck Daniel Lau

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

If you've ever taken out a loan or had money problems in general Ushijima will scare the poo poo out of you

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

ahiwattamplifier posted:

The gently caress is zqn

It's a pun on dqn (pronounced dokyun), Japanese net slang for "idiot."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I really liked it :smith:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ubel Blatt could have been a good if generic revenge story

Could have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Slayer is just a vampire who created an entire assassin's guild in the human world to supply him blood, but then he found his perfect anime waifu who is basically a human in every way except that she's not human and is in fact immortal, so he can suck her blood forever