Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

My offering to this thread is a manhua with some of the best world-building I've encountered! The art is also very unique. I haven't read many Chinese comics and this one was pretty amazing to me. Random trivia from one of the author's notes - pretty sure he lives in Wuhan.

Heresy is a dark wuxia-type story about Mo Lianjian, disciple of a sect of immortal sorcerers and exorcists, and the trials he faces in pursuit of self-cultivation to find his path.

I have another recommendation that I caught up with recently and wanted to post here, as I think it's more oriented towards seinen readers than shonen, but I think the latter is its official demographic so I'll post it in that thread.

edit

Also I saw a few mentions of it with the search function, but I really want to recommend Kento Ankokuden Cestvs (and its ongoing sequel) as a great historical fighting manga. It's a fairly compelling historical tale a la Historie, except about a Roman slave boxer. The mangaka is a friend of Miura's, I think he might have been his assistant at one point even.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

It falls apart at the end in my opinion but yeah, it's one of the better seinen out there for at least the first half before slowly losing momentum

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

MizuZero posted:

fable exudes strong (& deliberate) boomer throwback energy in its views on proper masculinity and today’s youth, as well as pretty much misaki’s whole character, but that doesn’t preclude it from kicking rear end

I definitely agree that it gives off this vibe pretty strongly, but it is great.

My favorite part of the latest release is how you can see in one panel that Youko averts her eyes when Satou spars with Kuro. Actually it's probably every panel where Youko's drinking and suddenly makes a horrifying expression but those little details are great.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Is anyone aware if there's any discussion or articles written etc about the more recent history of the manga industry, or about manga that younger mangaka frequently cite as inspirational to them? I posted it here because seinen in particular is my favorite demographic. It's pretty easy to find discussion on the literary influences of any given author but I don't think it's the same case for manga. I'm thinking more recently ie from the 80s onwards, less about Osamu Tezuka or Golgo 13.

I mean Berserk is obviously on that list, just thinking about the flood of tributes to Miura after his death. I'm sure Urasawa and Takehiko Inoue could be there for their classics as well, but what about marginally less obvious stuff? Was Gunm hugely popular in the 90s? What about Trigun? How frequent is it that a manga does reasonably well in Japan but really explodes with its western audience?

I had never realized how popular the works of Yumi Tamura were until I saw the chart in this post and noticed Do Not Say Mystery was her latest. (although it was pretty obvious, Basara was huge and I haven't read 7 Seeds but I know it at least went on for many years)

I guess reading lists of past winners of major manga awards could give me some insight into this as well, maybe one day I'll try to do some research.

sidenote: pretty interesting that Basara and Gunm started in the same year and share their vision of the future as a post-apocalyptic barren wasteland, seems like a popular aesthetic in the 90s

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Good example and from quite a few years earlier as well, Hokuto no Ken probably helped make it the isekai of the 90s, lol

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Coaaab posted:

mangabrog is dead, but if you haven’t read through it before, it’s well worth the trouble

Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks! Awesome find.

Ytlaya posted:

7 Seeds is great, but I think it was in a shoujo magazine. Very different from anything else I've read; the whole "fantastical sci-fi plot, but told with a primary focus on the relationships within a very large cast of characters" thing it does is very compelling.

I've read the first few chapters a couple times over the years and never got into it, but didn't dislike what little I saw. I knew it was shoujo though, didn't mean to imply Yumi Tamura was a seinen author.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I noticed that the first volume of the second series of The Fable dropped a week or so ago on mangadex, in case anyone else was waiting on that.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Does anyone follow Kingdom? Last arc got me in the feels a bit. This manga is getting long and it feels like we've been with some of the characters forever at this point. I kinda wanna do a reread but it would be like my third or fourth time through in total and I think I'll have to save it for the end.

How much longer can this loving manga be though, there's so much left to go...

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

About the last volume of The Fable: have we met the guy that betrayed Rumor before? I haven't reread in some time and his name sounds familiar but I can't recall.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I actually stumbled into an interesting one this morning totally by accident: Tower Dungeon, the latest by Nihei that started in October 2023. I kept thinking it was very similar, especially the mild body horror, until at the end of the current chapter I read the scanlators' notes and saw them mention Nihei. In hindsight it was pretty obvious lol.

Very interested to see his take on the fantasy setting he appears to be devising, now that I know who's writing it I'm sure it's going to get extremely weird and hosed up.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

If you haven't read the other Urasawa classics, 20th Century Boys, Pluto and Billy Bat are probably all worth a look.

Maybe Usogui if you don't mind the gambling angle, although it's really long and I haven't finished it.

Maybe Sanctuary, which is old but a classic, or Manhole? Probably not dark enough but Planetes is also excellent, by the same author as Vinland Saga.

I'm not sure if it is quite cerebral enough and I haven't finished it since starting years ago, but Akumetsu might be worth a glance as well. It's a bit ultraviolent in an Old Boy way from what I remember though.

Edit: my bad, didn't see the "last 5 years" in your post. Disregard this, I'll leave it in case anyone else wants recommendations along these lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

My biggest issue with that manga is that it has been on hiatus since 2022 :(