Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chas McGill posted:

Stayed up late to finish Bambino! (or at least what's been translated of it) last night. Bloody brilliant and I highly recommend it even if you don't have a particular interest in Italian cooking. Although I would've enjoyed some more 'instructional' elements like in Cooking Papa, the focus on interactions within the kitchen was really satisfying overall. Ban does fall under the "gotta be the best!" category of protagonists, yet I didn't find him that irritating - he's hot headed/blooded while still having enough introspection and empathy to make him interesting.

I thought the scene (spoilers for fairly late in the manga) where he makes dinner for Eri and her fiance was pretty sweet. I've got a weakness for characters who use their expertise to express themselves positively.

My only issue with Bambino is that the cooks and other workers are being heavily exploited by the restaurant owner and nobody really acknowledges it. When the rich rear end in a top hat friend points this to Bambi I would have expected him to at least dismiss it but nope, not a peep. Overworking yourself for peanuts is what you're suppose to do, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

Cool, this means two years before next Berserk chapter. :shepicide:

Well, he has already finished the new manga thing so I bet he's already back at work, drawing each individual pore of secondary characters for Berserk.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Vesi posted:

I have similar issues with you regarding art style, I know I'd love Dorohedoro for example but I just can't get over the beginning yet and ran through Blame! on fast-forward.

Dorohedoro art both improves and grows on you after a while. At least people stop having tiny, tiny heads that are 1/5 as wide as their shoulders.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

...did she pee on him?

Of course not. She just sprinkled nectar all over his body.

(I feel dirty just typing that)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AnonSpore posted:

Hi-Score Girl is full of fighting game references. As someone who also plays fighting games it's really neat to see jokes in it that actually references the gameplay, and not just "oh it's a karate mans doing a shoryuken ho ho isn't that funny."

Well, it seems pretty clear to me that the author was about that age when SFII came out. As another old dude with the same experience let me tell you one thing: That loving game was life-changing. (I picked Blanka first, got owned by a lucky friend that chose Dhalsim, who was pretty unbeatable when nobody knew poo poo about the game)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Insane Totoro posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/03/19/ah-my-goddess-manga-ending-announced

End of a loving era! Now for the biggest question of all, will the long suffering couple finally get married? Will Skuld die in the last issue? Who the hell knows.

From 1994 1988 until now holy crap...

And it has been complete crap since 1994, at least. Luckily Jojo and Berserk are still here (Berserk updates are in our hearts).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Coca Koala posted:

Manga Fox is saying that Liar Game is licensed; is that true? I'd totally be down to read official translations of it.

Noooo. What will happen to the game of "steal a chair"?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

So uh, what's up with this sequel to GTO? Brand new serialization? Mini-series?

Cash grab.

Hey, one has to pay the bills (I hope it turns ok).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Reiche posted:

I read Blame! not too long ago and it was my first manga by Nihei. Was I not supposed to really understand anything? I mean, I loved the story and all but I still feel confused and lost about it.

Yup, it is confusing as gently caress. My guess is that you're supposed to re-read and take your time while doing so, because it does make sense, it is just that the sheer scale of the whole thing is nuts.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Nice, team medicalworkplace-politics dragon updated. Will our hero, Takeo Noguchi, manage to swat down all those uppity doctors? I sure hope so.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kikka posted:

Just got done powering through Billy Bat. Where's the next chapter. Where is it

Ahaha, YOU FOOL! One of the laws of manga is "do not Read Naoki Urusawa's works until they are over". You hosed up, you hosed up real good.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

UberJumper posted:

The only way i can see gate ending is our MC realizes everyone is evil including Japan. To prevent the US and other baddies from invading the gate world he and his band of plucky followers shut the gate. Leaving our MC to live happily ever after on the gate side, while the empire is ruled by princess Pina Colada (:wtc: kind of name is that).

Hahahaha, yeah right. Japan is the fairest of all nations and its military *defense* forces on a higher moral plane than any other other such group, specially the ones that are known to use black people.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

New bonecrushing chapters of Tokyo Ghoul. :magical:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toukyou-Kushu

Wow, this has quickly become a huge piece of poo poo.

White-haired boy is so extreme and cool.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 10, 2014

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Prison School is hilarious with or without the tits and the principal's rear end fanservice.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DoubleDonut posted:

I don't think I've ever been as disappointed with a work of fiction as much as I have with Bambino Secondo so far. The original series was so drat good and Secondo apparently gets even worse than this.

The first series had an excellent first half, but near the end you could see that the author was running out of ideas (What with Coyote Tango in there). It was still decent at that point but secondo is way shittier.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Second to last chapter of Liar Game went up, not really sure if the ending could be satisfying at this point but oh well.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Liar-Game/Ch-200--Move-of-Trust?id=218671

It is probably going to be "it was all a test to find the right person" ending, which is fine. The author had run out of steam and this last game has been totally uninteresting (and awful) so I'm ok with it ending.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, that was more or less what I expected. In any case, after the steal-a-chair (lol), the following games were pretty crappy, since they were won not because of some interesting twisting of the rules but due to some convoluted manga-psychology.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mraagvpeine posted:

Has the author of Boku Dake ga Inai Machi done anything else?

He's transitioned from (soft)hentai manga artist, to fanservice mystery/thriller stories, into non-fanservice stuff.

His stories tend to have a good premise or a good mystery but he has trouble tying everything up and sometimes the twist at the end is really really underwhelming. If you can endure seeing a woman contort herself to show some T&A while being chased by murderers then go ahead and read his previous works.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fat_Cow posted:

So, does Tokyo Ghoul not have a thread anywhere?

Check the "promising manga that in the end totally sucked" thread.

RatHat posted:

Example?

Get yourself cornered to have an advantage against x (any x)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at you guys who expected some sort of resolution in genshinken.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ahiwattamplifier posted:

This type of 'gritty realism' manga tends to be so over the top tragic they actually start to become funny

What "over the top" are you talking about? Ushijima is a loving angel compared to any real loanshark boss. He only tortures and kills people when there is something *more* than money involved. (He's obviously loving criminal scum but that's the point)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkopath posted:

Loansharks dont do any of that stuff in the modern day. It's mostly about just hounding you for the payments now because of the criminalization of the extralegal elements of the old style of asset extraction. Japanese moneylending is the same way because of similar controversy that happened at about the same time.

Yeah, in Japan that may be the case, but that doesn't make for a very good basis for your manga. In plenty other places loansharks are scary as gently caress, specially if loan-sharking is just a side business for a criminal enterprise.

Edit: And yeah, the first few stories in Ushijima do suck. They get better as it becomes more about interconnected characters doing stupid poo poo and how the loansharks throw a wrench into whatever is happening to get their money. Still not great but different enough.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 1, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkopath posted:

If the loanshark you are indebted to isn't a legal moneylender you can just report them and have the entire debt invalidated, no matter what contracts were signed. I wasn't kidding about the police busting doors down with the swat team to take out sharks.

That's quite nice. Around my hometown the loanshark would just pay the police to come break your knees.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Why not just read Gantz-G instead?
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gantz-G
Someone has to

Wow, how does this thing exist? Is as if someone had let a :tvtropes: dude use his "knowledge" about what made Gantz popular to create his very own.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

They were clear about it when they first died and were sent to Gantz, but they never seemed to mention the subject with regard to each battle and no characters seemed to consider the possibility.

Actually, one thing that runs counter to my post is the fact that the Gantz people can continue to feel and move their body while it is still being transmitted to the hunting area. Like, someone can move their legs in the Gantz room while their head is in the hunting area, which seems to imply that their "whole self" is being transmitted rather than the original being deleted and a copy being made at the destination.

The gantz ball has OCD and will scan the transferred brain actions and transmit them to the unconnected body. Also: vampires with batwing eczema who materialize weapons out of their bodies and resemble kill bill characters.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 10, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow holy poo poo, the new I am a hero

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/I-Am-a-Hero/Vol-019-Ch-217?id=274820

I really like the direction it's taken, this cosmic/body horror angle is really intriguing.

It's pretty drat great, and the Spanish is top-notch. It's so weird to see manga with that kind of attention to detail.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

When I tried to read it, that manga quickly gave me the impression of just being a fetish thing intended to titillate the reader.

edit: I mean, like within the first couple chapters

Well, it's still that way. Who doesn't have the fetish of being pegged by an old friend while your wife is at the hospital recovering from child-birth? Just ask Anthony Scaramucci

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I lost interest in Akumetsu, when a protaganist's murder rampage was supposed to be justified by a bank being completely reasonable and turning down a small business loan.

(It's not supposed to be justified, dude(s) is nuts)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ugusername posted:

Usogui just finished Air Poker gamble and what a gamble it is. While there was a lot of stuff that I couldn't reasonably follow and sometimes even try to guess but it's full of incredible character moments. In general Kaiser arc feels like gambles are slightly worse but story and character development is just top notch.

Ok, I have read Usogui until the end of the hangman "gamble" and it has been, until that point, complete and utter crap (and uninteresting to boot). Does this poo poo actually get better or is this some sort of goon joke?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Like, that's good to hear because, honestly until now this has been one of the worst things I've read, and I've read Terra Formars and Wolf Dude.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Lizard posted:

What I am really curious about is how some of the mankind champions will fight, like Rasputin, Nostradamus or Tesla. They will absolutely have some bullshit abilities invented whole cloth and it will be glorious. :allears:

Obviously Rasputin will have electric powers, Nostradamus will be impossible to kill, and Tesla will have some sort of precognition.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

That Works posted:

I'm jealous.

Kingdom is a great constant. It's always the same badass epic poo poo, the art never gets better, but it's out every week.

Where else would you find your weekly dose of EXTRA-WIDE horses?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

I started reading the fable after the posts here about it and the youko drinking at the bar chapters are incredible

She's not drinking, she's battling, and she's merciless when it comes to destroying her opponents

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MizuZero posted:

final verdict on Out: It’s an entertaining read (and definitely ultra-violent) but the plot progresses way too glacially for me to recommend it over similar titles. For me a large part of the appeal of delinquent manga is watching them horse around together in peacetime, and as the series got mired in the park and the junkyard that fun element has been predominantly subsumed by endless backstory. The fights are sick and this one seemingly upcoming seems like it’ll be one of the sickest, so I remain “in.”

A new named secondary character is given some task, gangs up with some extras and charges
(A detailed dive into that secondary guy's life consumes the next 3 chapters)
They get ambushed by a couple of dudes
-He strong! Who is that guy!!!???
(A detailed dive into that dude's life consumes the next 3 chapters)
-No, not that one, the other dude.
(A detailed d...

The author is extremely interested in the background and motivations of the characters but that's also the worst part of the manga (as they are all basic delinquent caricatures) so nope, it's not recommendable at all.

That Works posted:

Yeah I definitely like it but the MC at this point has become almost irrelevant to the greater story arc that had been building up which kinda leaves me lost as to where everything is going.

Honestly? I don't think the author knows where is it going and is just spinning the wheels while he figures it out.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tosk posted:

I kinda wanna do a reread but it would be like my third or fourth time through in total and I think I'll have to save it for the end.

How much longer can this loving manga be though, there's so much left to go...

It has enough material left for a couple of decades so, dunno, go play some star citizen before doing the reread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scallop Eyes posted:

I've been reading Under Ninja and it's just new Gantz , down to copious amount of CG/3D models. I love it so much

It's pretty fun in just how absolutely committed it's to take its ridiculousness seriously while also being tongue-in-cheek about it.