Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Furuya Minoru's series (I've read Himizu, Ciguatera, and up until the current chapter of Wanitokagegisu) are really interesting. The plots and characters are just extremely uncommon and pretty much the polar opposite of clichè.

edit: He's also one of those manga artists that draws people that look like actual human beings, which is neat.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I'm a big fan as well, caught up to Wanitokagegisu and I'm really enjoying it.
You should consider reading Boku to Issho, it's not quite as dark and serious as the aforementioned series but it's by Furuya Minoru and it's probably my favorite comedy manga of all time (also has the best manga faces outside of AIKI).
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-to-Issho

Ah, that's great to hear. I'll check it out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DoubleDonut posted:

Looks like there's a bunch of new Hi Score Girl chapters.

It sounds like Last Game except with the guy being good at video games instead of being popular/smart.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

If you mean what she said about him being immune since he was divorced I think that was bullshit.

I imagine that they probably do tell them not to go after men/women who have been previously married, but probably just because there's a lower chance of them falling in love with the vector rather than no chance at all (so it's better to just go after people who don't fit that profile).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

I like inuyashiki because it is following up on the sadly underutilized 'virtuous old man gets super powers' concept from gantz. Like, whenever the old man got an appearance in gantz it always seemed like he would have been a way better protagonist than weepy douchebag kurono.

Pity the actual manga is middling at best, though.

I'm worried that murdering robot boy is going to kick Inuyashiki's rear end once they end up fighting. I get the feeling that he's probably experimented more with his abilities and is better able to utilize them. Then again, Inuyashiki now has help from murderous kid's friend and has been practicing so who knows.

Speaking of murderous kid, he's kind of interesting in that he represents an extreme of the way most people are; he has empathy for the people he knows closely and cares about but doesn't care about anyone else.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

coathat posted:

New series by the soil guy. For lovers of art and extreme violence. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/deathco-r15166

I love his art so much, it is so much better than literally 95% of other manga art out there.

Regarding the new series, the pacing seems kind of strange. It's weird that he spent the whole first four chapters on introducing the main character, particularly in what I assume is a monthly manga.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Kind of disappointed it really was the obvious answer all along...it's like Naruto where Tobi actually did end up being Obito

The biggest problem with the teacher being the culprit is that it requires kind of an unbelievable level of gullibility on the part of Satoru (who, you know, is also an adult mentally). The fact that he's supposedly been thinking constantly about this case and hasn't caught onto the teacher being super suspicious is hard to believe.

Unfortunately, I can't imagine it being a red herring at this point. I'm guessing the car not being his is so he can kill him and have the owner of the car be the suspect. I'm wondering how Satoru is going to escape, or if he's going to rewind again. No clue how he would get out of the car.

Either way, I really want to read the next issue! Is the translation coming out as the series does, or is the series already complete/further along?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was reading through the first half of Boku Dake ga Inai Machi since I had forgotten a lot of what happened then, and there are a couple strange things:

- Satoru actually makes eye contact with the culprit at one point (and knows it's the culprit because of the way his eyes look or something)! This makes it really strange for him to not recognize the culprit in the past if it's been someone like the teacher who he sees frequently.

- Satoru's mother, in the present/before she was killed, also sees the killer trying to abduct a girl and both recognizes him and feelings "a deep level of disgust" towards him. Why would she automatically feel a bunch of disgust towards the teacher? It seemed implied that she had had some bad experience with the culprit in the past (which in the comments section at the time that chapter came out had a lot of people thinking it might be the company boss who tried to marry her, though that's obviously unlikely now).

One thing that really stands out to me about that series is just how Good almost all the characters are. Almost every single non-villian character makes you think "aww, they're such a kind person!" The author has a way of drawing people's faces that makes them look really happy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shiori should just have Jimi Hendrix jack in and then upload videos onto youtube.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

muike posted:

There is literally not a single character in Dorohedoro I do not like a lot.

I know, right? Everything about it is just so much better and more unique than 99% of other fantasy/sci-fi manga. Almost all fantasy settings seem to share a bunch of standard tropes, but Dorohedoro just invents its setting from the ground up. It's easily one of my top 3 favorite manga.

edit: There is one thing that I think could have been done better. All the stuff with Kaiman/guy with all the heads was pretty confusing and didn't many much sense to me until very recently.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 13, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm catching up with Immortal Hounds, and I think that Windchime and the police chief make a cute couple.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

New The Town Where Only I Am Missing.

I've had a feeling the series's title was going to be the finale, and it's looking more and more that way. But we've still got at least four chapters left, and the next chapter's title seems to indicate we're going back further. So I wonder where it's going to go from here.

At any rate, man what a :smith: chapter.

I'm very curious about where this can go next. I don't see how it would work for him to go back in time again; if he did he would know from the get-go who committed the crimes and theoretically should have a relatively easy time "winning." I mean, it would certainly be enjoyable on some level to watch him go back to the beginning and totally own the teacher, but it wouldn't really make for a good story. At the same time, he's definitely not escaping from that vehicle.

Also, I'm happy to see other people discovering Dorohedoro. It is so good and can't possibly be recommended enough. There are very few fantasy/sci-fi style media that I would call truly "good" (even if many may be enjoyable), but I can definitely say that about Dorohedoro.

edit: I caught up on Ajin, and it's less bad than it was before. There was a nice psych-out where they make it seem like the bad guy is bad because he was abused as a child, only to then reveal that his father was just slapping him because he had murdered countless animals and then still felt the need to apologize for doing so (slapping him). It's sort of nice to have a bad guy that is just evil instead of one with a tortured backstory.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 21, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

New chapter of rin. It's a really good one too. Also, mangaception.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Rin-HAROLD-Sakuishi/Ch-033-Read-Online?id=239672

I'm curious about all the stuff hinting that the other girl (Honda, from his school) would lead him to ruin. She doesn't seem like a bad person and seems to be genuinely interested in the main character and reads his comics and stuff. I think that Rin has been pretty good about subverting some expectations/character tropes (Mutou comes to mind; he seems like a terrible person early on but actually has some depth). Main character's dickhead classmate also realizes he was being a dickhead and apologizes when they graduate, instead of randomly holding a grudge, (usually) just like in real life.

I'm looking forward to him surpassing Taki, since Taki kind of comes off as a pretentious rear end in a top hat at times (though he still seems to be a good person). That seen where he's like "heh if you draw titty manga you'll never surpass me" was really dumb particularly in light of the fact that you couldn't really blame the MC's actions at the time; it's a competitive industry and there's a good chance he would have just outright failed if he didn't do things the way he did (or luck out with the editor change; if the old head editor were still there he probably would have been the one with the serialization instead of Taki).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That interview is super interesting. I like the part where they talk about doing vanity google searches the criticism they get, and how Shinzo just says he doesn't get any criticism. Apparently some people hate Asano for some reason, from what he said.

I find it really interesting how apparently none of them read much other manga. You'd think that it would be beneficial, if not necessary, to expose yourself to a bunch of other material, but apparently that's not the case.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

keyman is v good if full of fan service if anyone isn't reading it

I've been reading it and I really like the main character. He's very unique as far as manga characters go.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi ch 34... :psyboom:

Are you reading the Japanese? I can only find through chapter 31 translated. I really want to know what happens in chapter 32!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

THE PENETRATOR posted:

im going to be honest here folks. Shut Hell is the best thing in the world. peace.

I've started reading this after seeing you mention it. A question (I'm at chapter 22): Are we just supposed to assume that Sudou (in Shut Hell's body) told Yurul about actually being this Japanese dude from the future? There was a scene where he was hugging Yurul and Yurul goes "wait, you're not Shut Hell" and then in the next scene he calls him/her Sudou. Does Yurul also have the knowledge of Suzuki or something?

edit: Okay, he's talking with Yurul about Japan now so apparently he told him who he is earlier.

edit2: One thing I really like about this is that they haven't once tried to make dumb/awkward jokes about the main character being a man in a woman's body.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 12, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What are some good manga with the theme of forbidden/impossible/difficult love (though preferably not as the primary plot point) along the lines of Shut Hell or the Korean manhwa Orange Marmalade (I would prefer more like the former than the latter, though I still enjoyed the melodrama of the latter)?

Also, what are some other good action/drama seinen comics that are vaguely similar to stuff like Keyman or Shut Hell? I'd like something that is serious and good but not quite as serious as, say, Inio Asano's stuff. I'm currently out of stuff to marathon and it's kind of overwhelming randomly trying out each individual title on Batoto or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

darkgray posted:

Three volumes out so far, but translators seem more interested in working on new game reincarnation clones than gender identity stuff. Hopefully there'll be a manga adaptation that's easier to tackle. Maybe keep an eye out?

Edit: I don't know what Shut Hell or Orange Marmalade are like, but this is in the theme of "difficult love".

Ah, that sounds interesting, thanks. While not specifically what I had in mind (I was thinking more along the lines of "it's literally/physically difficult or impossible for two characters to meet/be together"), that still sounds like it might be worth reading. I'm curious to see how it treats the topic, given how bad Japan usually is regarding LGBT issues.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shiori Experience is such a feel-good comic. I feel like it's the sort of thing that would actually translate well to a live-action drama, if not for the issue of having to cast the Jimi Hendrix character.

One thing I find really interesting is how everyone is acting like being in a rock band is super uncool. Is this some cultural thing throughout all of Japan or is it just related to the fact that their specific school is a prep school? Because I remember that being in a rock band was like an immediate path to being considered top tier "cool" when I was in high school.

edit: Laughing out loud at this page:

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 28, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That Works posted:

It's just that it lays on the abuse of its characters pretty thick in a few places that get to be a bit much. I get what Captain Invictus means. This last chapter was to explain a past element at least but yeah the previous couple chapters of the club just getting poo poo on over and over seemed too over the top. There's already plenty of adversity to overcome without piling on some seemingly hamfisted "BAD EVENTS" on top of it.

That said I still enjoy it a lot, just hopefully they start moving forward to something and not just getting poo poo on each chapter for much longer.

Yeah, that band teacher is comically evil; I'm just sort of mentally treating her and her student/faculty followers more like a force of nature than actual people. Besides, even if it's super unrealistic I still enjoy the inevitable payoff when the protagonist and their friends triumph over adversity. It's the same principle behind something like Great Teacher Onizuka, where some of the students are super evil/mean but you ultimately end up with some sort of emotional catharsis.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, I see this happening and it sort of upsetting the balance of power between the band and the light music club, since that trumpet girl is their first seat (I think)

Sharkopath posted:

Calling it cartoonish evil or pointless cruelty ignores the comic itself, because it depicts a world where events have consequences. The teacher is harsh and brutal but as a direct result of her domineering personality her club has advanced so far in such a short time, and her overreactions to shiori's light music escapades are a mode of behaviour supported by that. In the latest chapter the tragedy isn't random, besides illuminating why she's a self imposed outcast at school, something already established in previous chapters, the actual provocation for the events was another girl who was scared and angry at her own loss of position and acting without a level head she did something stupid and when the totality of her action settled inside she denied it, that's very human. The issue was brought about because of the actions of the characters involved, and didn't materialize out of nothing, it was a natural progression of their eventual goal.

Eh, yeah, it's true that it's "human," but it's "bad human." While most people will occasionally lash out at others or do mean things (or have prejudices, etc), only lovely people make a concerted long-term effort to gently caress other people over. Most people do not think "argh I want to ruin this person just for interfering with my success even though they have not directly wronged me." Besides, it's really obvious the author is trying to make the band lady look like an outright villain, what with all the literally villainous facial expressions.

(As a caveat, many children will behave downright maliciously despite not being bad people, but the only adults who do are definitely either bad or mentally ill.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

Normal people act against the universal self-interest all the time, real people can be petty and selfish as all get out. To maintain a belief that people can only be good evil or mentally ill is quite sheltered. Her facial expressions aren't also just to say she's an evil villain, they're emphasizing her duplicitous nature and contrast with her regular smiles. Shes able to escape consequences for her actions because she's cultivated an external image of innocence and she protects it actively.

People are complicated and their motivations and histories become complicated too. She sees her students as means to improve the whole club and has little qualms about dropping what she sees as dead weight but otherwise seems to care deeply about their their growth.

She's a hard teacher and a terror to anybody she sees as getting in her way, but she's not evil.

The negative events surrounding the light music club also serve an important reinforcing purpose, its highlighting their newfound purpose and sense of resilience. Beforehand all of the characters would have folded to the pressure of others like they were before. Even in the face of adversity now though they are continuing with their newfound sense of expression and actively seeking to enlighten other people in the same situation as they were. To see it only as tragedy that should be replaced with more happy times is silly.

Um, as I mentioned pretty explicitly in my post normal people do mean/petty/selfish things all the time and pretty much everyone has some prejudices (if not outright bigotry). But most adults do not think things along the lines of "I want to hurt other people because they are interfering with my success," and the ones who do are definitely lovely people.

Regardless, the intent of the author is pretty obviously to portray her as a generic "bad person" who more or less exists only as an obstacle for the protagonist to overcome (though I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being "redeemed" at some point). What you're saying is like someone pointing at a Captain Planet villain and saying "well, they have their own motivations and circumstances, and when you think about it everyone has littered at some point." While it's true that in real life people always have their own circumstances and are very rarely "evil", that doesn't apply to fiction like this.

Either way, I'm fine with the negative events in the manga; it was another poster who didn't like them. And I don't think they've had to face anything too extraordinary; so far it's just been the principal being resistant to creating their club and the band teacher loving up their room.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just finished reading Ran and the Grey World. It was mostly really good, with only a few things bothering me:

- The aforementioned "full grown man with a young girl" romance, though it wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be; it's normal for a young girl to get a crush on an older man and Outarou had no clue she wasn't an adult until near the end
- Ran was basically Outarou's manic pixie dreamgirl.
- Ran's emotional growth was a little difficult to stomach. She basically went from being a really immature child to instantly being a Perfect Person who is hard working and has an amazing attitude towards everything. Somewhat related to this, the ending was a little too happy. Happy endings are fine, but it seemed like the author made a concerted effort to make it as happy and ideal as humanly possible.
- None of Ran's family dying against the insect-Outarou. They made it seem like at least the brother and father were totally dead, but everyone ended up being fine. It's kind of hard to believe that this super insect thing with the ability to sense life wouldn't have finished them off.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

There is only one manga that is not a porn
And that is Dorohedoro

Dorohedoro has plenty of awkwardly illustrated titties, and the devil that's the doctor's wife is pretty sexy in her human form.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That part in a recent chapter where Rin makes a lunch for Kenzaki was pretty funny.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

someone sell me on keyman

It has a different tone from most manga in a way that I really like. Most of the characters aren't really typical manga stereotypes (aside from arguably Dr. Necro in some ways).

Also, it is one of the seemingly 10% of all manga that clearly have a story they want to tell (rather than being made up as they go along) and are paced well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

I gave it a shot. I'm not sure about it it. Alex is cool, the city is cool. Necro is embarrassing and gross. Boob cop is cool. I like how dirty the action scene art is, to a point. Some of the panels are just confusing, though. 6 chapters in and I'll probably drop it unless chapter 7 is particularly good.

Necro becomes better later, once you find out more about who she is and why she looks the way she does.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Begemot posted:

She becomes a better character, sure, but her design is still gross. I like Keyman but all the fanservice is definitely a problem, especially early on. And it didn't really live up to its premise of "dinosaur detective investigates superhero murder", a lot of it is just weird magic fights.

The art style is great, I just wish the author wasn't so obsessed with huge boobs and tentacles.

I think I pretty much agree with what you're saying. For some reason the big tits and what have you in Keyman never felt quite as fanservice-y as what you usually see in manga, though I have trouble articulating exactly why. Like, the art style used in Keyman doesn't seem to result in any of the female characters looking remotely attractive (similar to the way nudity looks in Dorohedoro).

I think that, for all its faults, Keyman is still worth reading just because it has a story it wants to tell and does a good job of telling it. I can overlook any number of issues as long as I'm still curious about where a story is going.

edit: So I just read this comic 17-sai and it was depressing as hell. These guys abduct and rape/abuse this girl, and it seems to be a retelling of the real life Junko Furuta case. To be honest, I can't really recommend it. It's just too realistic and upsetting.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 27, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want to see the documentary come out and the bad teacher's inevitable reaction to it.

edit: I'm also guessing that documentary will become the stepping stone to her/the band becoming a legend outside of just the school.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 28, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pierson posted:

There's another entry in the 'we're students who just crashed on this deserted island and now there are [things] killing us' genre. I already forgot the name of it. It's giant bugs this time and they inject PLEASURE PHEROMONES into you as they eat you, so all the women make That One Face when they get devoured.

Did I miss an actual good comic based on this premise that came and went, giving rise to stuff like this and Cage of Eden? Was LOST big in Japan?

Haha I saw that comic. That scene was so absurdly unnecessarily gross. I'm usually a big sucker for that sort of premise, but it was just too goofy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Jeeeeeesus christ. Another chapter's gone up of I Am Missing. It's pretty brutal.

Honestly curious where it goes from here. More time fuckery shenanigans? Going back to the past again to right the wrongs again? Explanation of his time powers? Is he a brain-damaged husk now? Maybe even this has all been in his coma-dream and he never had time powers to begin with?

It seems like he awakened from the coma at the very end of the chapter (and it's called "Wake Up")? I'm pretty sure everything hasn't been a coma dream, since it was his actions (informed by his time travelling experiences) that lead to him being in a coma in the first place. I'm guessing that he drowned and was recovered in time to not die but still have brain damage or something (it's not inconceivable that someone wouldn't have seen that car going into the water and come to help, though in reality I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been possible to save him fast enough, but it's a comic so who knows).

I'm not really sure if he'll time travel again or not. While it's possible for him to pursue things now that he's awake from his coma, I can't really see how that could be considered a Good End, even if he succeeded; Gaku has probably killed a bunch of people over the last ~15 years or however long it's been.

By the way, do not look at the Wikipedia page; it has spoilers from untranslated chapters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

love I Am Missing

on the bright side he isn't wanted for murder in this timeline

but yeah i could definitely see him trying to pursue the guy again in the present, real curious how it's going to play out and if he's actually suffered from the coma beyond bodily deterioration

spoilers from what I'm assuming are the next one or two untranslated chapters, based on what I saw on the Wiki page - Apparently Satoru has lost his memory after waking up. It looks like the next chapter will probably tell us what his elementary school buddies are up to: Kenya became a lawyer and is still trying to track down the culprit, and Hinazuki married Hiromi. Also Airi enters the equation again in some way, forget how. I'm wondering if the focus may shift to Kenya now, since he's apparently been obsessed with the case ever since it effectively claimed the life of his best friend.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jwang posted:

So apparently Hi Score Girl is seinen? It's kind of weird seeing high school life mangas being rated for the older age group, but then again I guess it's more high brow than just explosions and brawls. Either way, I find this series to be really good, with a look at how a boy and two girls growing up around video games.

That is a really cute comic. Mute gamer girl is amusing.

edit: I just got to the part where mute girl flies to LA and now there's this new girl. I hope mute girl comes back =(

I feel so bad for Koharu. She is fully aware that she is not the main love interest but is still trying her best.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 14, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kenya is such a good guy; I really hope he doesn't end up dying or something. I wonder if Satoru will be aware of the fact that he is still mentally an adult even if he can't remember specific events. It would be weird if he became basically a child in the body of an adult, so I imagine he'll at least retain his intelligence/maturity.

Also, after reading some of a couple other comics the same artist wrote I noticed that a bunch of his character looks identical. There was this one child character in one of his other comics that looked identical to child Satoru. I like his art style (I prefer something unique like that to a more "generic" manga/anime look) but it doesn't seem that good at making individuals look distinct.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 22, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

To be fair to Destroy and Revolution it's not like he's being portrayed as the good guy.

Yeah but I imagine it's the sort of thing where "This guy is correct but I disagree with his methods," so the dumb Baby's First Political Theory stuff previously mentioned is still true.

The key issue with that sort of politics is that it's really obvious people with those views are starting from an initial opinion (in this case "I dislike the US and like (my rose-tinted view of) past Japan") and then look up facts to support that. So you end up with a bunch of accurate criticisms of the US, but, because these facts are actively sought out to support a particular world-view, they don't understand the big picture (that these issues are more a result of a complex combination of economic system, history, culture, etc and certainly not unique to the US).

It's actually kind of interesting from an American/Western perspective. Because of the US's position as a superpower, this particular brand of right-wing doesn't really exist here. In the US you see something along the lines of "the US is great and other countries are dumb and/or evil", but in other countries like Japan you instead see "Japan used to be great but the Evil Empire ruined them!" It's predicated on the existence of a more powerful Other, while in the US there obviously aren't any other countries that are more powerful and exert a ton of control and pressure so you don't have this sort of world-view.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Exercu posted:

Eh. America used to be great until the gay heathen atheist feminist Muslim pinko communist hippie Jews took over and ruined everything. That's pretty much the American equivalent of the "USA - evil empire" of weaker powers.

The only difference is in asserting a non state actor having subverted the original greatness of the state, as there is no state actor with the power to do so.

Oh, it's absolutely the same sort of thing at its core, just a different "flavor" of it. Japan also turns their right-wing aggression inwards, but more in the form of politicians being corrupt and useless rather some big conspiracy ala "Obama is secretly trying to change America into a gay Muslim country!"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Suicide Island is mostly okay, though it has some seemingly questionable views on women/gender roles. Like, there seems to be this implied message that the MC couldn't be happy in real society because he wasn't fulfilling his destined role of being a hunter who returns to his mate after each hunt.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

coathat posted:

Golden Kamui has been on a tear with the last couple of chapters. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/golden-kamui-r16663

Ah, awesome, I had completely forgotten about that series after reading the (at the time) couple chapters that were translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Thanks to the buzz it was getting in the winter season thread I burned through all of "The Town Where Only I am Missing". I don't know how I ever missed this series, it was extremely my poo poo. I think I saw the initial description (which is only really applicable for the first couple of chapters). It reminded me a lot of another work I love a lot (don't want to say the name, since doing so would be a relatively big spoiler for that series).

Only downside to it was how painfully obvious who the murderer was. I wish there was a larger group of suspects in the 1988 arcs so that the author could have played up the reveal more.

My favorite part of The Town Where Only I am Missing is actually the late 80's Japan nostalgia and Satoru hanging out with his elementary school buddies. I consider the whole murder mystery stuff to be just an acceptable sub-plot.