Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kimitsu posted:

It's mostly been mishandled (Oishinbo), or generally underpromoted (Iron Wok Jan) with sales stemming from a pre-existing online fanbase (Drops of God, and maybe Yakitate! Japan, I think) or the niche group who's really into food manga.

But I'd be totally happy to admit it if I were wrong.

I am ludicrously pleased whenever I come across anybody who's aware of Iron Wok Jan. Such a wonderfully over-the-top series. So hard to get a hold of the books in the West though. Which is a shame, because I prefer the English translation to the Korean translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

pandaK posted:

Iron Wok Jan was the first taste of cooking manga I ever got way back when a local library had the first 15 or so volumes. It was the greatest.

My high school library had up to volume 5 and for the longest time I thought that was where the series ended, since the cooking tournament ended that volume and it seemed like everything had been resolved.

I only found out that I'd been wrong when I come across Volume 6 in the for-sale bin of a anime / manga shop several years after I graduated. I've only been able to buy two volumes, and had to resort to :filez: of the Korean translation to read the rest. Underpromoted in an understatement in regards to this underrated gem.

Iron Wok Jan was my second cooking manga, and it was so different from the first one - Shouta no Sushi (creatively translated in Korean as Mr. Sushi King) by Terasawa Daisuke - in that Jan was a total and complete prick.

Too bad the West will probably never get the sequel.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't even know how my family got our Mr. Sushi King. Sometime after we moved to Canada we ended up with all but the last volume (13) of the initial series. Managed to borrow volume 13 from what might have been the only Korean comic / book / DVD rental place in Toronto, but had to resort to :filez: for the National Tournament sequel. And now I find out that there's apparently gonna be a World Tournament sequel or something?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tarezax posted:

I started reading this based on the Jojo spread that got posted over in the "Convince me to read a manga with one image" thread.

Holy poo poo. So good.

That image is probably the flagship image for this series in SA at this point. I think I've seen that image posted three times or so, generally with the same tag line (from the ping pong chapter).

It's amazing.

Also makes me think I should watch the Jojo anime, along with the frog punching gif.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shokugeki Souma and the Crazy Cooking Competition or Souma Shokugeki and the Crazy Cooking Competition depending on how the whole first name, last name thing works out.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm aware, yes. I just wanted alliteration.

EDIT: Shokugeki Souma and the Stupendous Souffle Squabble

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alice is great cause she's one of the few major female characters not to go into a massive blushing frenzy at the sight of Soma like Meat Girl or Country Girl or Lady Girl.

Also she's a hilarious sore loser just like her aide.

And she has the best eyes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought it was your standard cooking anime cliche.

"You lost because you cooked for yourself, and not for the judges."
"You lost because you cooked for the judges, whereas the main character cooked for his sick father dying in a hospital."

I'm pretty sure that literally happened in Mr. Sushi King. At least the last part did.

Curry boy cooked for someone, whereas the other two cooked for themselves / to win / whatever. So you could 'see' the face of the curry boy cause you could sense who he made it for because anime shenanigans.

Specialty is love. Or something.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Seconding the Iron Wok Jan recommendation and seconding the notion that it is really hard to find. I've only been able to find 2 volumes for sale (volumes 6 and 23). I read the first 5 volumes at my school library and had to find Korean scans for the rest.

The sequel, The Summit Operations, is also pretty fun.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 10, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked both BBB's OP and ED.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

pnumoman posted:

The absolute worst is a certain Korean bakery chain's garlic bread. Looks and smells like the buttery, savory, garlicky goodness you know and love.

Then you take a bite out of it and find that it's been absolutely covered with sugar that is barely melted so you can't see the goddamn candy shell encasing the garlic butter coated slice of bread. :barf:

Oh God.

Paris Baguette's garlic bread is hard as tack and sweeter than garlic bread has any right to be.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
An Alice Nendoroid.

With all her facial expressions.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tosh just makes me think of that comedian whose show I never watched.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Given Erina's stance against failure and her response to Alice's loss (it must be nice to be able to cry), her dad is just probably typical stern Asian father with over expectations taken to the extreme.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BlitzBlast posted:

So is the implication that neither Kuga nor Souma won on the 5th day because Alice's team kicked everyone's rear end?

Because if so that's pretty great.

Nah, Alice was in Main Street while Kuga and Souma were in the Central Area.

Basically, neither Souma nor Kuga got what they wanted.

Souma beat Kuga on the 4th day in terms of sales, but lost overall in total sales.
Meanwhile, Kuga beat Souma overall and (presumably) placed 1st on the 5th day, but failed to stay in 1st place for all 5 days, which was his condition for a rematch with the 1st Seat.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can tell that Rindou's awesome cause she walks so briskly and energetically while everyone is strolling and trying to be cool.

She's actually cool, unlike the posers.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

vibratingsheep posted:

It's Isshiki, his default state is trying to be naked, not trying to be cool.

Fuckin' magic.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
At least they've got more personality than the ones that made it into Bleach, so we should be thankful for that I guess.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dang, that video brings up memories of watching Teletoon.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rindou is hella beautiful.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kyte posted:

http://i.imgur.com/rmf78Za.png?1
She kinda looks like a vampire in that shot.

Like a goddamn gorgeous vampire.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

pentyne posted:

Now in color!

http://i.imgur.com/Oc7VMHf.jpg

But for real though Rindo seems more like she's a part of this because it'll make everything batshit insane and would jump ship to Soma and co. if that side becomes more fun.

:vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince::vince:

In all honesty I'm not particularly enthusiastic about this direction, but the manga's been very good so far and it might open up to more :krad: cooking battles between the 1st years and the Elite 10 so I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic.

I am worried that this might turn hella long though. I mean, Souma and Co. probably need to jump through a ton of hurdles to be able to even challenge the Elite 10.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ethiser posted:

I'm guessing he married into the family and took on his wife's family name.

Apparently, the 3rd seat of the 69th generation (Gin and Joichiro's time) was a dude called Nakamurai Azami.

The name plate with the Elite 10 of the 69th generation is shown at the end of Chapter 34, but the information about the next chapter covers it in the English release.

I checked the Korean scans, but the Korean scans are based off the English scans so that wasn't of any use.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Forget Souma x Erina or Souma x Megumi, I want Erina x Megumi.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ConanThe3rd posted:

So if what I'm hearing from the grape vine regarding 140 is true (Shoukugeki's are basically kangaroo courts in Central's Pocket) this has gotten :unsmigghh: to the n'th degree.

Can confirm It's true. Korean scans came out yesterday.

Shokugeki no Soma is now just No Soma.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can't imagine Azami being around for that much longer then.

It's probably an Eizan-only thing, given the way the dude plays. The other members, if they do accept, probably won't play like that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Megmi doesn't need to karate chop them.

She can just challenge them to a battle of table tennis.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

pandaK posted:

Wasnt there a hells kitchen (manga) chapter that set up exactly like this and the cook managed to persuade the crowd to try their food because of how impact full the frying gyoza was?

In Iron Wok Jan one of the assignments for the tournament was dumplings. And 4 members of an ancient Chinese clan that specialized in Chinese food (woah....) were in the tournament with their unique dumpling-making technique.

The main character also knew the technique cause his grandpa went up against the head of the clan and lost a long time ago.

While everyone tried to be flashy and attention grabbing, the female lead eschewed it in favor of something simple, which ended up being attention grabbing without being needlessly flashy and she beat her opponent.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, I remember the spring roll arc in Iron Work Jan where Kiriko used chicken as the wrap.

This reminds me of that, but even more awesome.

I want to eat both.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Zinger Double Down Max!!!!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

alice ftw

:yeah:

Inflammatory posted:

soma is one of the least obnoxious shonen protagonists i can think of. he deserves a non-poo poo girl, like alice or rindou.

Alice and Rindou are cool because they are awesome characters who don't need Souma to shine.

Megumi is cool and sweet and likes Souma and is more honest and upfront about it than Erina so I am rooting for Megumi.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Also this is legitimately one of my favorite pictures in SoS.

Rindou looks hella pretty here. Unnaturally so.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kyte posted:

Rindou is a gourmet vampire.

Tasted so many good foods you can't even evoke a proper reaction out of her cause she's only mildly impressed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Elfgames posted:

Not true soma is also cocky as gently caress when mocking aldini for trying to be cool.

As he should.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Angry Grimace posted:

They just selected Hayama as the winner and that's it. Ryou argued he came in second and Soma came in third, but his argument kind of sucked on the grounds that Soma actually won his semi-final round and Ryou didn't.

On the other hand, Ryou at least tied once against the eventual winner of the tournament, whereas Souma technically lost to Hayama twice.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium posted:

I wanna eat that chicken skin gyoza

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Old school had flaws. Unpolished gems like Megumi couldn't truly shine in the environment.

New school also has flaws. It stifles creativity. Won't even let a dude smoke ingredients the way he wants.

Hell, back during the Training Camp arc, Shinomiya would have expelled Megumi for using a different recipe, but her changes were actually a brilliant improvisation to deal with lovely ingredients. I feel like this is a showing of what the new school policy is like. You're pigeonholed into a single method, and any attempt at innovation or personal growth is just struck down.

Hell, there are even conflicting beliefs and ideologies among the Elite 10 themselves. Tsubasa (Rank 1) brings the ingredients to life and doesn't put himself in his food at all to ensure the purest taste, while Kuga (Rank 8) overwhelms his dishes with spice and heat. Perhaps too much, since the other Chinese cuisine girl was unhappy that Kuga basically took over the Chinese cooking club and made it all about his type of cooking.

This just reminds me that early Shinomiya was a loving jerk. Christ, the dude was a prick.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Elfgames posted:

funnily enough we've only seen one person get expelled through battle and that's after the rules change

True irony*.

*I do not know what irony is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel sorry for skewer senpai. Dude had a club, loved doing what he did, tried to rail against an unjust system, and then failed cause he wasn't the MC.