Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I MIXED TOGETHER VARIOUS SPICES is the new "wait is this seriously supposed to be a big thing?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Anyway i'm a bit disappointed Soma is going to restore Erina's faith in cooking rather than Alice even though they have more of a relationship. Although, I guess it's a good thing to have Erina accept Soma's cooking now rather than keep it as a thing for another arc or two. Since it's already been a thing for too long and Erina's become a much nicer and cooler person so it's sort of unnecessary right now. I really don't want another few chapters on a Soma dish though. Other people need some good cooking focus.

This is pretty much supposed to be the big turning point in Soma and Erina's relationship, so it kinda has to be him.

I'm expecting something like they work together to try and recreate the dish she ate that day, and while Soma ultimately comes up short it's the thought that counts and Erina is touched. They make it a regular thing and Soma starts to enjoy cooking for Erina in particular, and then one day he gets good enough that he matches/exceeds what his dad made that day and blah blah blah Saiba is in the background going all "JUST AS PLANNED".

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I thought the joke with w is that strings of w's look like ハハハハハハ, which is literally "hahahahaha" in katakana.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well I at least appreciate that the teachers aren't even pretending they're being "fair",

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bitter melon is a literal food from hell that does not deserve to exist.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

What did evetybody think of the Stagiaire arc, overall?

It was nice and I wish the arcs that followed were more like it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

but it's not like he actually needed the full amount of time, yeah?

Souma walked in there with an exact plan of what he wanted to do. Eizan walked in there with the intention of standing around :smug:ing it up, and when forced to actually do something he came up with something on the spot.

He didn't need the full amount of time to make that dish properly or anything, but there absolutely was a huge difference in prep time.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I wanted to reread the Stagaire arc, but for some reason Casanova's scans have all been replaced by lovely Mangahere ones?

What the hell.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm just waiting for cheesesteaks to get in so everyone can joke about that thread.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ChronoReverse posted:

I also think this particular arc has been weak but let's not pretend it actually swerved into Yakitate territory here (which jumped the shark with changing time itself).

Nah, the finale for the big tournament in France was legitimately great.

It was everything after that that sucked.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I went and reread the Monaco arc, and what really makes the time travel work is that it's a legitimate happy ending for Pierrot. We spent the whole arc getting to know him and his struggles, so even if the reaction was completely over-the-top I was okay with it. Because I wanted that guy to have a happy ending, because he deserved it.

Too bad about loving Yakitate 25, though. Best just to pretend it all ended after the Monaco cup.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm really liking all the callbacks this arc has had. Jouichiro's frustration over other people just giving up instead of challenging him puts his surprise over Souma being willing to challenge him over and over in a new light, the scene at the end with the blank dish calls back to that "if you only cook by yourself, all you'll see is your own face in your dish" thing that Erina got hit with it, and of course you can basically see Azami's philosophy build itself up.

My viewpoint on what happened is that Jouichiro's fundamental issue is just how people keep wanting to see what's next. He's totally fine with competition, he wouldn't have humored his son so many times otherwise. He just can't handle bad attitudes as well as Souma can and burned out over the constant demand for more.

Remember that his final realization at the end was that he needed to find someone who he liked cooking for.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh, now that I think about it, way back in the very first chapter we saw the people Jouichiro felt it was worth going back to the culinary world for: people who really loved eating his food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's honestly impressive just how many callbacks there are this arc.

This (and Saiba mentioning he dropped out) is about all that's left, so presumably that's what next chapter will elaborate on.