Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Chapter 41 is out.

http://manga.casanovascans.com/read/shokugeki_no_soma/en/0/41/page/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Chapter 4.5 was also translated: http://manga.casanovascans.com/read/shokugeki_no_soma/en/0/4/5/

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So we're discussing :filez: now? There's a reader that I found last week that had them, in English, long before Casanova. Might have been Viz rips, might not.

It was a Viz rip, but it was taken down fairly quickly. Just subscribe to Shonen Jump. It's not that expensive.

Xelkelvos posted:

Just as a matter of comparison from chapter 98

What the heck did they do to the moon?

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Viz's chapter is up. There are some significant translation differences between it and the speedscan. I'll be interested in seeing Casanova's translation.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Crunchyroll picked up the license to stream the anime. The first episode should be up today.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/04/03/crunchyroll-to-stream-food-wars-shokugeki-no-soma-anime

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

buzmeg posted:

I'm a little disappointed in the author recently. He seems to have lost the "rules" that he put down for his own universe.

One of the reasons why Souma was such a "genius" was that his dad taught him the base techniques so that he didn't have to learn them. All he had to do was actually learn what they were named and what they were for.

This arc would be more ... consistent? ... if it were about learning coordination with other people (which he doesn't do much of--although Megumi arc showed he could do that too ...) rather than baseline cooking techniques (which, presumably, his father has already taught him).

It just feels like Souma is getting *less* competent rather than moreso as things progress.

But this part of the arc isn't about basic techniques. Perhaps it needs more emphasis, but this environment is completely different to those in Restaurant Yukihira. Not only are the other chefs using cooking terms that Soma has never encountered before (which makes sense), the cooking is not based on orders coming in. The chefs have to prepare courses so that they come out at the exact right time, which requires a lot more forethought and planning.

I wouldn't say that Soma is getting less competent. Rather, the manga is exposing us (and Soma) to more and more aspects of cooking.

DoubleDonut posted:

(I also can't find anything in English supporting that story about WW2 prisoners but I also didn't look very hard)

It's mentioned briefly in Wikipedia, but there's no citation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctium_lappa

edit: There are some sources in the Japanese version of the page (12 and 13) http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B4%E3%83%9C%E3%82%A6

tobeannouncd fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 9, 2015

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
The new Weekly Jump issue is out if you have access. The translation is much, much better.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Non-Casanova scanlation is up

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Casanova translation is up. Also, the new issue of Weekly Shonen Jump is up as well. The translations are pretty similar, so no complaints from me.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Really, considering how little money some scanslators get, does it really need to be that much? I'm thinking this might become the new model, doing scanslations on commission, basically.

Scanlation is already in a gray area, and turning it into a profit-making arrangement (albeit not much profit) wouldn't help the case for scanlators. IANAL, but it's a lot easier to sue someone for copyright infringement when you can prove that they're making money off of the infringement.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
The next chapter will probably just be a montage of Soma winning shokugeki after shokugeki.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with the Elite 10 is that they're set up in a way that he can never beat them all without the series ending.

Well, if Soma beats all of the Elite 10, he still has to beat his dad.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Mikl posted:

Not gonna lie, I'd buy all three of them.

So would I. I'd also buy figures of the magical cabbage characters from last weeks episode.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
It's also worth mentioning that the episodes do not end with the end credits. There is always an additional 1-2 minutes of (often essential) plot. I didn't notice this until about episode 6 or 7, and until then I had just thought that the anime was missing all sorts of crucial stuff from the manga.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

gandlethorpe posted:

I don't think there's any other anime with an opening and a closing theme that are both catchy as hell while not being annoying.

Space Dandy?

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, did they skip the table-tennis scene? What a failure of an adaption. :colbert:
"Shokugeki No Soma is a cooking manga."

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New episode out today. The pacing was incredibly quick (like most of the anime so far, it seems).

Also, rare footage of Nao being somewhat cute?

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are they going to finish the tournament in the next few episodes?

At the pace they're going, it'll probably be one or two more episodes to get to the final 4 in each group. After that, I'm guessing that it'll probably another 7-10 episodes for the tournament to finish.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
The new chapter is up on WSJ if you have a subscription. I have abandoned the Soma/Tadokoro ship and have now boarded S.S. Tsukasa/Tadoroko.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New episode is out.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New episode of the anime is out for Crunchyroll subscribers. Only one more episode left for the season, so they're probably going to conclude the preliminary round of the Autumn election.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Azami seems like the type of person who would expel any student that he feels isn't worthy, so wouldn't he just expel Souma? I know that he won't due to plot armor, but he's already demonstrated that he wants to weed out the unworthy students.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New chapter is up: http://bato.to/read/_/344355/shokugeki-no-soma_ch135_by_casanova

It looks like poo poo is about to get real.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Law Cheetah posted:

i want it to be revealed that soma and his dad are actually space aliens and the king of all aliens comes down and tells soma that he has to compete in cooking contests against giant space slugs and stuff that are also chefs. or else the earth will be destroyed

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT!

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Is that a Toriko reference on the cover page of the new chapter?

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
After reading this chapter, I now regret not voting for Rindou in the poll :(

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Maybe he just got bored of eliciting the same reaction all the time from people who ate his cooking.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Regarding the last page, didn't Soma learn anything during his stagiaire regarding cooperation? Shinomiya would be disappointed.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Xelkelvos posted:

They should've just gone to the verdict in this chapter since the cliffhanger is pretty much expected (and possibly predictable) at this point.

Unless there's a Shyamalan-like twist where it turns out that it was Subaru instead of Soma, and his channeling of Soma was so good that no one noticed.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

where the red fern gropes posted:

if your dish kills the judge they can't taste your opponents dish and you win by default

Killing the judge is a legitimate strategy in Yakitate!! so it might just work in SnS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF-bYdb1LVI&t=610s

tobeannouncd fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

where the red fern gropes posted:

it says it's unavailable :(

might be country locked. try here: https://www.youpak.com/watch?v=xF-bYdb1LVI and go to 10m10s