Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm kind of in love with how dumb and contrived this all is, honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I actually really love the stupid contrivances this series is so prone to so this doesn't bother me at all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I read One Piece and this is still consistently the most absurd manga I follow.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I enjoyed a lot of that chapter but I'm kind of hoping we either skip through the other phases quickly or they find some way to ratchet up the tension soon, if they're all just as easy as this it's gonna get a bit repetitive.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's very stupid but I think it's pretty good, yes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheKingofSprings posted:

http://mangafast.online/manga/shokugeki-no-soma/178/1

Speed scans are out, looks like this arc is about to pick up pretty quick.

No way at least one person isn't getting expelled, right?

I'd say there's a pretty good chance, and if they do it'll probably be someone more important than one of those random two dudes from Polar Star. If they're gonna go for the gut punch, and I'm starting to suspect that they might, it'll probably be Yuuki.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That whole festival arc is probably my favorite thing in this entire series so far.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Not terribly surprised by any of this. Hayama's been out of focus for so long it was a foregone conclusion he'd end up on the other side.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Hayama creates the vastly superior dish but insults Alice, resulting in a default loss

Can't be a chef with bad taste

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The real issue here is not even that Hayama's fight is fundamentally boring, but that I find what's going on with the other characters much more interesting at present. Hopefully this wraps up within the next two chapters.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh noooooooo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Angry Grimace posted:

Reminder: Erina and Joichirou, neither of whom will be Totsuki students, are apparently going to be forced into a lifetime of involuntary servitude if the good guys lose this high school dispute.

Yeah it owns

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Soylentbits posted:

Final battle. 8 on 1. Central vs Megumi. Ora.

God I loving wish

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like 60% of what I like about this series is just the faces

That's not at all a bad thing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm totally fine with this, it works well enough as a repudiation of Central and ties into the central character of both opponents, which is about all you can ask for.

e: also I just caught up and that Girl Who Lept Through Time page made me full-body guffaw

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I figure Takumi has to win his match whenever that is because he lost to Mimisaka way back when and hasn't done much since and I hope beyond hope Megumi wins too because she owns

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No joke, I'd read a manga with Mimisaka as the main character

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jouichirou cooks them a celebratory meal so lovely it wipes the last month from their memories

Also there's now footage of the dub out in the wild: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H54H0Geq03s

Cast list is here so someone with more dub knowledge than I do can say why it's great/the worst thing ever: http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/food-wars-english-dub-full-cast-list

E: v They already have seeded at least one more arc in BLUE whenever that happens and there are some unresolved plot threads the author says he's planned to get to, particularly with Souma's mom. v

It's Sentai, so my expectations are low. That said, I recognize a few names.

e: not giving me a clip of Jad Saxton as Megumi is criminal, and I'm not even sure it's a good casting choice

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love reading my favorite Manga, One Piece, starring Monkey D. One Piece

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've listened to a bit of the dub and it's fine, mostly. Jad Saxton as Megumi is honestly pretty great. However, Erina's tragically got one of the worse voices, though nothing nearly as series-ruining as like, Hajime from the Gatchaman CROWDS dub, which is a really low bar but still.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Update: Alice's voice is kinda weird but I like it a lot on reflection

It probably helps that I haven't watched the sub in forever though

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

She sounds like an old lady

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mikl posted:

You know what this means?

It's Tadokoro's turn :getin:

Can't wait, hype building to critical mass

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I need megumi vs eizan yesterday

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As lame it would be if Saito, a dude we've hardly seen, won, I'd love it if Soma was somehow the one to lose. It'd shake things up a lot, though we had this exact conversation the last time Soma was up and it went nowhere. That it's Saito instead of Momo he's up against just means it's that much less likely to happen, but eh.

What I'm saying is MORE MEGUMI

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't particularly want to read Eizan vs. Souma again so soon though

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

good god that eizanface

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jerkface posted:

I dont care how obvious it is im marking out

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

http://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/235/4627/1

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kind of a set-up chapter but worth it for this:

The panel of her taking the coat back off made me lose it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Pretty much, this series is way better the closer to being grounded it gets

Lol what

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheKingofSprings posted:

what was basically a sales competition at a student festival.

That's my favorite arc too but I think you need to accept that this series is profoundly loving bugnuts and it's all the better for it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I guess I just differ from most people in that while I do think the earlier stuff was stronger I'm still capable of appreciating this for being loving audacious if nothing else.

e: I do still think it's weird to insist that this series is better when it's "more grounded" as if that was ever an option at any point.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a cooking manga tho, and one ostensibly set in the "real world"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

http://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/237/4665/1

lol @ the insane reaction to a four cheese pizza

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I definitely want Soma to be the one who loses here, yeah. Even if his opponent is kind of a nobody, it's the most interesting option by far.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

nah this series is still good, it's just a lot slower

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah I actually went back and looked at the big Rindou page and holy gently caress it's so good, wish the anime captured it better

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

THE EYES