Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm just finishing up the anime right now and this is going to be a weird loving question but is there fan art of Akira Hayama as Bubble Bass anywhere on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm all caught up now and I hope I can come up with more to say when I'm not on my phone but I really like this manga

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Absolutely, this series is ridiculous in the most amazing ways, but I'm a sucker for that and slow burn romances like what they're doing for Soma and Erina. The art is great, it's pretty funny, and it can actually make me feel legitimately tense at times (Megumi getting expelled and the Shokugeki with Eizen are a couple of examples I really enjoyed).

I liked most of the characters through the series so far, Soma's a solid protagonist if maybe slightly boring, but he's got a well-defined personality, actively learns from his mistakes, improves in obvious and sometimes understated ways and trolls the poo poo out of the people that need it. Erina started out an rear end in a top hat who didn't want to admit she was wrong and consistently doubled down on it in every interaction, but I enjoyed seeing her slowly gaining respect for Soma and legitimately helping him out a bit when he went up against Kuga. The Polar Stars are mostly one note, Isshiki and Megumi aside, both of whom I like quite a bit, but it's nice that they're still very competent cooks in their own right, and I'm finding I like them all more after Azami showed up and the tone shifted. Alice owns, I wish she had more than the one Shokugeki so far, but she's both very funny and very competent (as well, in a Shonen battle manga it's pretty nice that both Nakiris are somewhere in the top 5 of their year). Akira might be my least favorite character so far? He was pretty boring in the arc he starred in and had very little presence, so I’m happy he hasn’t been around much, for however long until that changes.

I'm worried Azami will end up killing the series with the change in tone (unless they revert back later, but I don't see how that could work) but gently caress if his appearance didn't keep me hooked on reading when that happened. I'd been wondering for a while leading up to that arc if there'd actually be any real antagonist (everyone up to that point is pretty much a rival save Subaru who was also just a mini-boss), and out of nowhere he walks in and terrifyingly hijacks the manga. I wish they kept the threat he represented smaller (restaurant domination is pretty ridiculous next to being terrible for the school and Erina's life) but it's not like either of those motivations for stopping him vanished. There isn't really a chance for redemption happening for him that I see, he's a really effectively done creepy gently caress who's done some monstrous poo poo and I don't see any foodgasm changing that.

I wasn't a huge fan of his arrival and the accompanying PTSD flashbacks making Erina into essentially Zelda from Link to the Past, but it led to some amazing payoffs on a couple of plot points ("Saiba Jouichirou is my dad" might be my favorite panel in the entire series), and I really hope that when the brainwashing plot bomb inevitably goes off it'll be handled decently. I suspect that might be saved for if/when Soma defeats Tsukasa and takes his spot towards the end of Azami's arc (whether that will extend to the entire rest of the series or the next ~50 chapters, who knows) and I'm guessing it'll be what starts the Soma vs. Erina Shokugeki that both the anime and the manga have periodically hinted at, with Soma getting absolutely destroyed before winning in a rematch?

I’m liking Shokugeki more than any series I’ve read in the last 2 or so years. I wish there was more out, but it’ll be good to look forward to a chapter each week and to reread the parts the anime covered to see what I missed.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 4, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mangafast.online/manga/shokugeki-no-soma/178/1

Speed scans are out, looks like this arc is about to pick up pretty quick.

No way at least one person isn't getting expelled, right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/178/3584/1 Mangastream version out now too.

Azami's plan might be the dumbest thing but he is pretty brutal. Not only will he put the rebels through some essentially impossible fights for the majority of them, but given that he's almost certainly going to get Erina to fight as an E10 member here through some kind of coercion (expel the other person immediately if she doesn't participate at her best? E10 get threatened with expulsion on failure?) it'll drive a wedge right between her and the Polar Stars. If that does happen it could be Soma she faces but I think right now it's way more likely to be Megumi, especially with the tension between Rindou and Soma pointing to a face-off right now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

http://mangastream.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/178/3584/1

Less lovely scans are up.

Someone might get expelled, but maybe not. I'd actually wager that it's Megumi that takes the bullet with one of the others going on a Shokugeki to save her. Again.

Edit: Erina having a match against Megumi makes a lot more sense.

It'd suck for Megumi or Takumi to job again, but if it does end up Megumi vs. Erina it's kind of inevitable. What does literally any of them have to wager for a Shokugeki though? They're already getting expelled if they lose, so what is there that's valuable to any of the E10? Soma giving up cooking forever? Erina joining Central for real if one of them loses? Could someone bet Polar Star's independence?

Angry Grimace posted:

I guess this entire arc is just an excuse for Erina being put into "Mitsuru doesn't know how to eat hamburgers" moments.

At this point it looks like it's for some catching up with some really needed softening of Erina and developing connections with the Polar Stars and Soma as set-up for a brutal twist of the knife when their most helpful asset for getting through the challenges is used to expel one of them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I suppose there wouldn't be a reason for Isshiki or the other two people who got removed from the Elite Ten to show up, right? (What was it, beaniedude and swordguy?shorty.)

Isshiki is actually doing something helpful right now, but what it is is completely unknown.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Its weird to say this in a food manga, but the cavalry showing up to totally Shokugeki some nerds would be :krad:

This would be pretty great, maybe Rindou leaked the plan out to them?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So how is it that Azami's likely to get defeated and removed from power, anyway? He got in on an E10 vote, but he's kicked out the minority that voted against him and if someone else took one of the E10 spots he could just kick them out as well. 5 people could theoretically take a seat around the same time, but that'd require 5 E10 members to be stupid enough to put pride/something else before the ridiculous amounts of money, power, and privilege that come with the seat and then lose on top of that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yukihee-land in the anime today. :getin:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What did evetybody think of the Stagiaire arc, overall?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

KoB posted:

She definitely kinda falls for him.

What makes you say that?

To me the end of that arc and everything after suggested she thought he was a pretty cool guy and that was basically it. Most of her interactions with him after that indicated a positive impression, for sure, from letting him ask Erina to help him with his cooking (I'm curious how other people interpreted it, was it her paying him back for a favour? Did she finally think that, maybe her boss had her wires crossed on him and wanted to change her opinion?) to clearly expressing joy or relief when he got involved in a situation, like when he crashed Daddy Nakiri's party crashing or rolled all over Eizan in the Shokugeki, but the latter two seemed more like a combination of both Hisako having a good opinion of him and his ability to handle a bad situation, and a learned understanding that Soma is really, really good at taking the wind out of the sails of people with an overinflated sense of pride.

E: This panel is great in general, but it gives Hisako a whole other dimension to her character that doesn't get shown anywhere else just by having her there with rest of the group (where this is nothing new for any of them).

Hisako owns.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 12, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

It was nice and I wish the arcs that followed were more like it.

I wonder if it's possible to go back to those kind of arcs once Azami's gone?

Serious Frolicking posted:

hisako is interested in souma as a person and not in an explicitly romantic way. there is room to develop their relationship in that direction, but i don't think it is terribly likely.

most of souma's admirers are platonic, i think.

Only one of Soma's relationships looks to be developing that way and the brakes look pretty much kicked out there, if it happened with Hisako let alone any of the girls with romantic interest it'd be a huge surprise.

Also, I just re-read the Mapo Doufu War arc and it's so good, holy poo poo. The best thing about this manga regardless of the plot circumstances is the downtime between action segments, SnS never fails to do character interactions well.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 12, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

souma has two girls who like him and his destined love interest who isn't quite there yet. this is not a harem manga.

I thought it was 3 and a destined love interest.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

who is the third? there is nikumi and his classmate from junior high. am i missing someone?

Megumi too, although that came up less than halfway through and nothing really happened with it since. At this point she's legitimately more likely to end up with

E: VV In one chapter she realizes he's who she's thinking of when she cooks.

Also it's really goddamn cool that the writer for SnS actually answers questions for the series on twitter, and it's actually reasonably substantial stuff like why Soma's mom isn't around, obvious though that is.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 12, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wait he does? What's he answered?

I only know a couple, that Soma's mom is dead and another relating to Erina.

There are others, he still answers them now but apparently his editor told him to stop giving away the more important ones.

E: Tsukudayuto is his handle afaik.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 12, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know how anyone can forget Tadokoro.

Oh wait I do.

It's kind of funny that the first ~ 3 arcs had a big emphasis on her character changing and gaining confidence and then it just..stopped.

I guess that's partly Erina hogging the development time for a while, but you would think she'd get less flustered after praises from Soma, from Erina, from multiple Tootsuki alumni, basically everyone with a name.

Like why is she the only one freaking out when Rindou showed up last chapter? Soma and Erina are looking 110% done, Takumi's looking a little more wary but still ready for whatever is coming. It'd be boring if everyone reacted the exact same way but this shouldn't be surprising.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

She's the only one that realized they'll be fighting erina as an elite ten and she knows she just triggered a bunch of death flags recently

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's not even that Erina's been hogging the screentime, it's that for the longest time after the Autumn festival Soma was the only one getting any continued focus. Outside of a bit with Hisako in the Stagiare arc, it was Soma working with Shinomiya, Soma vs Kuga, and Soma vs Eizan. Other characters got some small moments in those arcs but they never really took the spotlight.

Anyway I hope Erina vs Megumi happens because I think that would be cool and good.

If Erina is on the E10 team I can't see her not absolutely destroying whoever she's up against, up to and including Soma. She's had what, 178 chapters of build-up?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Tadokoro realized that "your food is really...warm you know, it makes me feel like a mom's cooking" is just a euphemistic way for people to avoid telling her that she isn't on the level of her hardcore elite cuisine friends.

edit: Maybe there can be an arc where Tadokoro, in her extreme desire to cook at the level of her friends, makes some sort of Faustian deal where she sells her family into slavery in order to become a better cook. It would be thematically meaningful because her feelings for her family/friends are what previously motivated her cooking.

i think azami would totally be willing to tutor someone for the price of enslaving their family, yeah. it would make about as much sense as anything else he has ever done.

Tadokoro will narrowly beat Erina in a Shokugeki before passing out.

She'll wake up in a room where Azami will appear, realize she awoke the God Tongue, and that Erina threw the fight. Azami, who doesn't actually give a poo poo who does the taste test comparisons for the rest of their life, will tell her the "truth" about Tootsuki.

This chain of events will lead to a terrible incident where Tadokoro, her last bits of decency gone, will stab through Yoshino with a monkfish bone to achieve vengeance on Senzaemon for enabling all of this crazy poo poo.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 13, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Is there no new chapter this week?

Jump's on break, but Bleach spoilers will be out Sunday so I'd expect to maybe hear something around then.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No particularly good bits to screencap from this week's episode. Had a "it had to be done to get to the next part" kind of feel to it.

Hayama and Kurokiba are Beyblade rivals to their core and they're mostly pretty boring. Soma kind of brings out their more entertaining sides, like he does for a lot of characters.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kurokiba is incredibly cool and good but Hayama is just ok.

The problem with the match is that those two got a lot of focus in the qualifiers and in round 1 so this match was just basically set up for the triple threat with little actual development on their part.

Kurokiba vs. The Literally Who was probably the low point of the series for me but that might be just because Central is kind of dumb

E: After thinking about it I actually hope Soma gets expelled this arc? That would make for something really interesting if they did that.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 14, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Eizan's defeat in the Shokugeki was a legitimate thing, right?

Like, they throw out a bunch of qualifiers that both say he's stronger than he appears there (he could be even higher than 9th if he wanted to!) and that he's weaker than he appears there (he didn't try until halfway through! If he did it would've been much different!) but it's not like he actually needed the full amount of time, yeah?

He predicted Soma'd be easy pickings even if he did try, Soma blew past every expectation he had, completely controlled the pace of the fight, shut Eizan down and then shut the judges down.

This is not the face of someone who was going to lose that fight even if Eizan had something more up his sleeve.

E: Also, Rindou is the goddamn best.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 14, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

So I just binged through the series and caught up. Way better than I was expecting from a cooking series.

My only question is, is the Rebel Alliance basically every 1st year High Schooler who's gotten a name minus Akira, Copy Cat Chef, and Hojo? It seems like that, but Hojo also seems to be somewhat on team Soma. I'm assuming Akira got promoted to the empty Elite 10 slot, in order to save the Spice Lab, and if the other two aren't rebels they're part of the Central Group.

Basically, yeah, with three former E10s backing them up right now.

And actually I think Copy Cat is on their side too, he just doesn't seem to get any exposure. Maybe he showed up in the background like Nao did?

E:

BlitzBlast posted:

Souma walked in there with an exact plan of what he wanted to do. Eizan walked in there with the intention of standing around :smug:ing it up, and when forced to actually do something he came up with something on the spot.

He didn't need the full amount of time to make that dish properly or anything, but there absolutely was a huge difference in prep time.

You're right, but the look on Eizan's face when he ate Soma's wasn't one of "I can do better than this", it was one of "Jesus Christ what". I think he would've lost to Soma even with prep time, and the framing of the resolution of that fight with Soma just towering over Eizan reflects that to me.

I also don't remember seeing Rindou poo poo on him for holding back and getting smacked down for it, which is exactly the kind of thing she would do if he had. There's definitely some bias there on my part though, I'm really hoping Soma is at this point around the level of the lower E10.

Also, the biggest thing is probably that, as much as Eizan didn't prepare beforehand Soma had never even had a chance to cook with a Jiidori before.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 16, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

Erina and Hayama are probably wild cards against almost anyone since they have cooking super powers of extrasensory taste and smell.

Hayama is really lucky he didn't get put in Block B with Nao in the preliminaries

I feel like Erina will be above Isshiki's level, the impression I've gotten is she's bottom seat right now simply as a formality due to entrance exam marks and didn't have a desire to start climbing higher yet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

fursonally, im still mad alice and poison girl didnt get further

Alice had the unfortunate luck to be paired against Soma the one time a match actually played to his own strength. She would've flattened anyone who wasn't a finalist and her win record against one of them is 50-50.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Spoilers are out, I guess we know what Hayama's been up to now. :v: Seems like there's only one outcome to this fight, unless they want Soma to lose to him for a third time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Mangafast is up: http://mangafast.online/manga/shokugeki-no-soma/179/1

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So how hard is Hayama about to get destroyed here? He's now a glorified miniboss and literally half his lines this chapter are setting him up for a hard lesson (he superficially moved up and rank has always been important to him, but Soma is the one that's been fighting the E10 for forever, Hayama being isolated vs. Soma picking up new tricks from literally everybody, etc.)

Will we believe a man('s nose) can fly (straight off his face after he gets wrecked)?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Death Bot posted:

I actually love this. It's so dumb and out of character for the guy whose only motivation was his teacher, but it's perfect for a character who has at all times been "heh" *pushes glasses up nose into glare* personified

I mean let's be fair here, it really does look like Azami's coercing him into this poo poo right now and he's just playing it up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The big question for me here is are Soma and Hisako going to high-five when he tells her about taking Hayama down and if so how hard

E: if they do something remotely like the Polnareff Kakyoin secret handshake I will never stop reading

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 18, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I just checked that quote and holy poo poo this manga really goes places in a year

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

Yeah, it's just the latest fool proof method of eliminating the rebels. Why they aren't just expelled instead of playing obviously rigged games isn't clear, but this is round 3 of the Why Aren't You Expelled Yet Games.

My guess is when old man Nakiri is reinstated as the Director everyone who got kicked out fighting Central gets reinstated, which lets a bunch of the rebel crew lose without going away forever. Soma, Hisako, Megumi, the Aldinis, Alice and Ryo are pretty much all going to win, but the rest of them have a decent chance of losing.

I'm assuming one of the Aldinis is fighting Copy Cat Chef, who along with Hojo is going to fill the remaining Elite 10 slots.

Hojo is established fodder though

Like her one major event was a loss to Megumi

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

I get that A)there's not as much of a story if they just get expelled, and B)The Director wants to have it look like they hosed up, but the way he's going about B) is dumb. Giving someone poo poo ingredients and no ingredients in a cooking contest isn't much different than just sending them a letter in the mail that says they're expelled. The first attempt at utterly destroying dissent by rigging the Shokugeki was a much better evil betrayal of all that is good about cooking.

I enjoyed the work arounds and the little mini arcs themselves, it's just a poor overall strategy.

Rindou just said this chapter that the teachers did it on their own without Azami's knowledge or agreement. She could be lying about it of course, but that'd be pretty out there for her. I guess we'll know for sure if there's any kind of scene of Azami throwing the teachers out on their rear end for it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elfgames posted:

I assume azami told the teachers "do poo poo so they won't pass" and the teachers had free reign to decide how to go about that

I feel like at the very least, he'd have enough respect for Soma and Alice to know those teachers probably wouldn't accomplish jack?

Like I have a hard time thinking he expects Soma to lose to Hayama here even, this could honestly just be him hanging the nose out to dry (and as a first year get expelled for failing his own exam) as a way to mess with Soma before whatever his big play is kicks in.

E: I'm watching this episode and it really makes me excited for the magic nose to be destroyed

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 21, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Yeah dude hates the whole industry and is trying to burn the whole thing down.

Or at least I hope so, he doesn't make much sense to me otherwise.

That's pretty much my interpretation and it looked like Fumio's, too.

Dude's endgame for high level cuisine seems to be everyone worshiping and copying high level talent like his best buddy Jouichirou, having his daughter enforce that down to the slightest difference in food quality and running the school that ruined his idol in his mind straight into the ground.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Alice-mom's accent is horrible. Like, I have heard the whitest of white people with less-terrible accents. XD I just... wow, who the heck did they get to do voice work for her, and was she literally someone with zero exposure to anime or anything Japanese reading romanji off a sheet of paper?

I'm looking forward to her VA nailing the disrobing next episode.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm thinking about changing my avatar to something from this series, does anyone have some good suggestions? The first one that came to mind was Eizan after eating the Gyoza, but if anyone has some good ideas I'd love to see them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm going to guess that he never directly tells them to do that. They just know they're supposed to. It's part of saving up for the inevitable heel-face turn.

This dude is gonna reconcile with Erina by the end of his arc (however excruciatingly long that may be). Part of Soma being perfect white knight husbando is that he engineers it with his creative cooking or some poo poo.

How do you reconcile 6 months of child abuse and isolation and immediately attempting to do the same thing when you show up after 10 years? I can't see a way to do it that won't be really forced and awkward.

But based on the way they've been handling Azami I think you're right. The way they frame some of the interactions he has (tolerance of a secretary that complains, Azami and Erina seeing they have a common link in Jouichirou) seems intended to humanize him and set something like that up.

If Tsukuda can actually figure out a way to navigate it in a way that's not awful I could see it working out for whatever arcs that come after if Azami sticks around as the now completely reformed, now good headmaster of the school - and has the exact same personality.

E: I'm thinking something like him organizing and ~evilly~ overseeing an international interschool cooking tournament for the ~evil~ benefit of the students. Like a really benign :moreevil:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

You know what this guy needs? A good loving decking. Right in the kisser. I had forgotten about that part where he actually physically accosted his own daughter. :mad:

Azami is legitimately the most frightening Shonen villain I can remember seeing because his one actually evil act is something completely real and horrible.

And this happened for 6 months, he really shouldn't come back from that as a character, especially not when the next most awful people have "bullied people into losing their prized knives" and "rigged a couple of Shokugekis" under their belt.

Dude should probably be in jail and the only reason I can think of that not being the case is that Senzaemon brushed everything under the rug when it happened.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 25, 2016