Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm really enjoying the highly detailed drawings and cooking that will from time to time verge on the fantastical/gag like but usually seems somewhat more probable than not. I'm disappointed that there were no over the top reactions to Souma's cooking but hopefully more winged Souma cherubs will appear later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Serious Frolicking posted:

I honestly have no frame of reference to know how that stew tastes. Dissolved fish liver broth?

Any East Asian seafood stew should do the trick as a point of reference; also if you're a fan of sushi, a common and delicious way to eat ankimo is in miso soup.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mo_Steel posted:

The few pages before the scoring showing her trials and difficulties are just heart wrenching, holy hell. :unsmith:

Compendium posted:

That was a really heartfelt chapter. Megumi can only climb up from here.

She really has become a great character with her backstory of why she's the best from her hometown becoming more fleshed out; I'll admit that in the beginning, I wasn't the greatest fan of her character development but has definitely grown on me over time.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Drutten posted:

At least her dish was so flavour-intense it ruined the director's underwear. In a good way, mind.

without his knowledge as well! I think she still should have won because of how he stripped unconsciously. Megumi~ (´;ω;`)

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Compendium posted:

I love how everyone is just calling her Hishoko. Not gonna lie, I would try that turtle burger out of curiosity. Design wise, it kinda looks like a bigger version of the pork belly buns from a place called Momofuku in New York...

The shape of those buns are the same everywhere in East Asia if your implication is that David Chang came up with it in the first place because trust me, he definitely didn't.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Compendium posted:

Oh no, I'm definitely not implying that! I know he didn't invent folded steamed buns, but I guess my statement sounded dumb enough to make it seem that. In terms of fine dining and chefs which this manga is all about, the turtle patty in a steamed bun made me think of him first since he's a chef whose cooking has a variety of influences due to his upbringing.

So, tangential connection on my part. :downs:

I don't know much about his upbringing per se but I think that while he does incorporate aspects of Korean cooking into his restaurants, his style is more Japanese because of the time spent in Japan learning how to ramen, etc. Also he lived on Japanese fast food from convenience stores for a while and they sell a lot of steamed meat buns, which are pretty good..

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is a hamburger a sandwich :v: ?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ethiser posted:

All hamburgers are sandwiches but not all snadwiches are hamburgers.

How about a protein burger?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Is Mimasaka's strategy just to make the same dish but better? Or watch what Takumi does and make his dish contrast it? Either way I'm interested to see what's coming.

Can't really tell what they're going to make though, those are some pretty basic ingredients.

First thing that jumped to mind was Meyer Lemon Meringue Pie when I saw the ingredients but it could also be that I haven't had it in a while.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Chapter 78 - top notch expressions in this chapter.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Chapter 79; I know you so well I predicted what you'd come up with in your moment of trouble :what:

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

If he's stalking him, it would be pretty silly for him to not notice Takumi carries a bottle of olive oil everywhere. And yeah, there's only so much you can do with that.

Sure but it's reaching Joker levels of prediction: I know what'll you do after you do X --> Y --> Z to the point of stretching even my manga/film limits of disbelief. Also Takumi could have used the olive oil in the batter to form the base - there's more ways to use it

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Not really. All he did was guess that Takumi was gonna use his extra ingredients to do something with lemons, he didn't know what Takumi was gonna do, just the ingredients he'd have left to do it with... so he prepared his dish with a dash of lemon everywhere, just in case. He also took the time to balance the lemon flavour with the natural sweetness of the cake, which led to a better tasting dish. I've seen much crazier "just as planned" scenarios than what we have here, this one is downright believable.

Also, that last image... H. R. Giger much :stare:

You're missing the point: the lemon was already included in the list of planned ingredients but the extra one was olive oil; it didn't matter if he had put lemon everywhere since that was already going to be in the dish anyways, it's a little too far-fetched to predict he would have made the curd rather than use it in the batter, which is far more likely.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Law Cheetah posted:

i'm personally not sure why guessing that he'd resort to a lemon curd is just like so trying to your suspension of disbelief, moreso than him guessing the exact dish he was planning on preparing out of like an infinite amount of dishes he could have selected in the first place

within the expectations that sets up, it would be more surprising if he didnt guess everything he'd exactly do down to like the location of sweatbeads on his forehead

I guess I just find it a little more plausible for this crazy stalker to be able to guess the dish that Aldini would make based on his encyclopedic knowledge of Aldini based on his life experiences in the restaurant; after all, a lot of Souma's dishes are variations of ones that he made while cooking with his Dad. However, being so confident in what desperation move Aldini would make with his dish when pushed against the wall seems just a little too much in my opinion :shrug: .

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Soylentbits posted:

Why would you use it in the batter? It's way harder to remove that olive aftertaste (though I question how he removed it from the curd) and it's very hard to screw with that exact portions of a baked good without screwing it up. At least he could mask the olive aftertaste with a ton of sugar and flavoring. Doing that in batter would screw up all the other proportions.

There are plenty of reasons to use it in the batter - has a different flavor that would complement the lemon, is healthier, makes the overall feeling of the cake base a lot lighter, etc. Also, one could use the olive oil in the semifreddo itself not to mention that usage of olive oil v. butter in deserts is rather common in Italy. There are conversion charts for butter v. olive oil, so it'd be relatively easy to do so without screwing up. There are a ton of options that Aldini could have gone with that's why I still believe that it was far easier for Subaru to predict the dish rather than what direction Aldini would have gone with in his moment of desperation.

As an aside, if you want to make Subaru's Preserved Lemon Semifreddo or Aldini's never-seen-before :rolleyes: lemon curd, enjoy!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Begemot posted:

It wasn't never-seen-before, just unexpected. They said it was common in England and even showed a jar of it.

Apparently this is a mis-translation then but I believe they called it as such because it was made with olive oil whereas traditional English lemon curd appears to be made with butter. The point is more that this manga makes mountains out of molehills with the over-the-top language and descriptions.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

kidcoelacanth posted:

If they didn't do that it wouldn't be a) a manga or b) interesting.

Sure, thats' very true but it's not going to lessen varying expressions of :what: or :rolleyes: at the incredible cooking technique character A just came up with!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

KoB posted:

It's a comic for Japanese children. Come on.

And I admit that manga needs those descriptions as shown above but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they included a panel of people going nuts over being able to boil water since apparently separating the yolks from the whites is a separate technique with its own name.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ahahaha, always fun to see Yukihira pull stuff like this. Giant loving balls there.

He's got plot armor though I'd love to see the manga go through a revision and be called Shokugeki no Megumi.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

oh jay posted:

Question: These guys

Do they have names? Because they keep showing up and possibly live in Polar Star, but as far as I remember Glasses and Moppy Hair are the only boys in the dorm with names.

Nope they don't but don't forget to include Isshiki as well!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

kidcoelacanth posted:

I suspect Souma will find some way to use him to his advantage vs. Mimasaka.

Or maybe that's how Mimasaka actually stalks people; the newspaper is Mimasaka's tool and the kid is a double agent.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
New Chapter! I just remembered that the first dish Soma made at Tootsuki was Beef Bourguignon; nice to see its iterations keep popping up.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

MajorMarcus posted:

Viz's chapter is up. There are some significant translation differences between it and the speedscan. I'll be interested in seeing Casanova's translation.

Casanova's is up and I'm curious what the differences are between that and the Viz one. I thought Souma would have learned more cooking techniques from his father since much was made of his using poêle in one of the earliest chapters. Also, I guess that his visible mark on Shino's is to have his new dish chosen for the menu from one of his earlier failures.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I feel that perhaps with all these shokugekis being thrown at him, Soma can acquire enough "stuff" to use as a basis to challenge Eizan. This would fit nicely given their earlier indirect confrontation, put him above Erina and Hayama/Kurokiba as well.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Those dudes don't look like students at all. Also, with the way Kuga was going on about spice it seems like he'd be a more fitting opponent for Akira. And wasn't Akira supposed to get a shot at getting into the 10 or something from winning the Autumn tournament?

No, the only connection to the "10" from the Autumn tournament is that most of the current members participated in previous ones. That being said, the next few arcs should show some of the ways that Soma and the other first years trying to break through.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Admoon posted:

Everything else in this academy has the chance to expel you so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that we see the festival does it too. In fact wasn't it noted that the autumn festival not expelling you was a breath of fresh air.

It's happened so many times that it's now the running cliche of this entire series. Also since it's the protagonist that is always under this threat, it's even less likely to happen because of plot armor, etc.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

KoB posted:

Ketchup and eggs is loving gross.

Nothing wrong with using ketchup on omelettes though I usually prefer a bit of hot sauce instead usually.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I guarantee you Heston Blumenthal Nathan Myhrvold has done that already and can tell you the exact proportions required.

Modernist Cuisine, Volume 4, p. 19-40.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
new chapter

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

ShadowCatboy posted:

Okay after seeing it in color Yukihira's chicken wing dish does look pretty drat tasty. I was never crazy about Eizan's poached chicken anyway.

Eizan's dish isn't really that special either and it's really quite funny that the judges are treating it as some super gourmet meal when it's just as commonplace as Soma's gyoza. It's just Hainan chicken and one can find it a bunch of different restaurants in most major cities making it.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Latest chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pewdiepie posted:

Ew instant coffee.

Reminded me of similar usage by real professional chefs.