Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

Look at all you people who just lost the heart to play the game without my drunken orders.

My second character is Republic, so it's effectively playing alone in Goon Squad. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

im alone, all alone

uauhuahgahugaghhu

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hulk Smash! posted:

Second Life isn't real, you know.

Nah, no more MMOs. Now, the new Saints Row came out and i did play the poo poo out of that. ..

Desht
Oct 21, 2008

Medullah posted:

I like to think I'm playing a little game called "life" my friend. Still drunk, of course.

Is there any other way to play?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oh snap, they're taking Unload away from Powertechs. And actually suspending/banning people that used the Ravagers exploit, along with nuking their ill gotten schematics.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Well, that'll stop stupid PTs me to use unload in their DPS rotations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Official forums thread on the exploit punishment, I'm sure it's gonna become awesome quick.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
I'm still of the "BW should have fixed their broken patch earlier" mindset but I understand why they have to do what they're doing. Unlike the Nefra bug, which at least required you to put in some time (even if you were the one to play dead while someone else killed the beast), this was instant high-end gear/mats, no effort required outside of a few clicks.

Full disclosure: I ran it with all 4 of my level 60 Imp toons; got a few set bonus chestpieces and some random 198 gear that I've spread across a few alts. I didn't RE anything and the guy that ran me through it took the mats that dropped. Maybe I'll get lucky and get off with a warning! :cop:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CesiumCanoe posted:

I'm still of the "BW should have fixed their broken patch earlier" mindset but I understand why they have to do what they're doing. Unlike the Nefra bug, which at least required you to put in some time (even if you were the one to play dead while someone else killed the beast), this was instant high-end gear/mats, no effort required outside of a few clicks.

Full disclosure: I ran it with all 4 of my level 60 Imp toons; got a few set bonus chestpieces and some random 198 gear that I've spread across a few alts. I didn't RE anything and the guy that ran me through it took the mats that dropped. Maybe I'll get lucky and get off with a warning! :cop:

And the good news is if you get a 7 day suspension, you ALSO get a permanent ban to the official forums! So no temptation to partake in the conversation!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bets on dulfy being banned? (Shes in one of the top raid groups)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Bets on dulfy being banned? (Shes in one of the top raid groups)

She won't be. She's one of the biggest promoters of SWTOR.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I doubt she ever used the exploit. Why would she need to?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shadok posted:

I doubt she ever used the exploit. Why would she need to?

The top raid groups were the ones selling lockouts, you're of course right that she would have little reason personally.

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

I've got my assassin's tank gear close to set so I might futz around with pugs and tank badly. Maaaaybe I'll check out the marauder changes when they hit, but I'm probably going to let my sub lapse and play ffxiv for a couple months.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

quote:

Way to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Now that that's over, how about you stop wasting resources on this nonsense and direct them at identifying and fixing bugs in the game.

lol what the hell does he think Bioware was doing?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Based on the reddit thread people that "just" participated in the exploit runs were given 24 hour bans, people that did extensive crafting stuff or sold the exploit were given week long bans.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Operative healing is so much fun.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Based on the reddit thread people that "just" participated in the exploit runs were given 24 hour bans, people that did extensive crafting stuff or sold the exploit were given week long bans.

Also sounds like bans are all they got. Items, credits and mats are all still there. Who cares about a 24hr ban when you made millions and have stacks of 198 mats..?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

KaneTW posted:

Operative healing is so much fun.

Someone gets it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Also sounds like bans are all they got. Items, credits and mats are all still there. Who cares about a 24hr ban when you made millions and have stacks of 198 mats..?

Exploit the game to get free endgame stuff = 24 hour ban. Make a joke in guild chat about gold selling, 7 day ban from game, lifetime ban from forums

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hulk Smash! posted:

If they had to write scripts to figure out all this stuff, which would be consistent with the amount of time they took, its likely they won't touch the database until a scheduled downtime.

Medullah posted:

Exploit the game to get free endgame stuff = 24 hour ban. Make a joke in guild chat about gold selling, 7 day ban from game, lifetime ban from forums

Someone on reddit was complaining about being perma'd for that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Holy poo poo pubbies have been dumbasses all week in KDY. This place isn't hard and can be done in twenty minutes, so why do so many pubbies insist on turning it into a giant slog?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cythereal posted:

Holy poo poo pubbies have been dumbasses all week in KDY. This place isn't hard and can be done in twenty minutes, so why do so many pubbies insist on turning it into a giant slog?

A lot of them are doing it, or certain sections of it, for the first time. Maybe if you told them what to expect and helped walk them through it, it would only take 30 minutes instead?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jng2058 posted:

A lot of them are doing it, or certain sections of it, for the first time. Maybe if you told them what to expect and helped walk them through it, it would only take 30 minutes instead?

There's only so much you can do when many of them don't seem to speak English, don't heal between fights, and as soon as a pack is dead run off to the next pack.

Or the sentinels (plural, I've run into a few) who have female characters, body type 4, pink lightsabers, and red or pink strapless bras and thongs who play like they only have one action bar.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

That is a problem, I grant you. :sigh:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
As a relative noob, I can tell you that many SWTOR players are really intolerant of new players not knowing what to do. I actually got kicked from several flashpoints for asking questions or even not skipping cut scenes when I started so went back to solo play for quite awhile.

And people call EVE's community toxic...

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ugleb posted:

As a relative noob, I can tell you that many SWTOR players are really intolerant of new players not knowing what to do. I actually got kicked from several flashpoints for asking questions or even not skipping cut scenes when I started so went back to solo play for quite awhile.

And people call EVE's community toxic...

Yeah the pubbies in this game are assholes, especially considering the appeal of this game is supposed to be the story. They get unholy pissed if you don't hit spacebar. Part of that though I think is that everyone still playing is badly addicted and leveling their 100th character so they've run the same flashpoint 8 million times. I can understand it on KDY, but the other flashpoints not so much.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Chickenwalker posted:

Yeah the pubbies in this game are assholes, especially considering the appeal of this game is supposed to be the story. They get unholy pissed if you don't hit spacebar. Part of that though I think is that everyone still playing is badly addicted and leveling their 100th character so they've run the same flashpoint 8 million times. I can understand it on KDY, but the other flashpoints not so much.

Unfortunately this is why I don't do flashpoints.

Somewhat related:

Just how inactive is the goon guild? I might join on my lowbie Sniper.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm going to play this game for the story, and I want to ask how black-and-white the Republic and Imperial sides are. Which stories stand out as nice? If it helps, I would probably lean towards the non Force-using classes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm going to play this game for the story, and I want to ask how black-and-white the Republic and Imperial sides are. Which stories stand out as nice? If it helps, I would probably lean towards the non Force-using classes.

Most of them are surprisingly grey. Ironically the bounty hunter probably involves the least crimes against humanity.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Republic in general is very black and white, while Empire can be pretty nuanced especially in Sith stories.

Best-regarded stories (for a reason) are Agent and Warrior. Jedi are pretty inflexible, Smuggler is pretty funny and that's where my personal experience ends. Trooper is basically Shepard, Inquisitor is about best if you want to flex your evil cackle while shocking people.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Jedi Consular isn't very flexible, but I consider it pretty well written. It's exactly what I wanted in a Jedi story.

I don't really care much for Bounty Hunter at all.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GuyUpNorth posted:

Republic in general is very black and white, while Empire can be pretty nuanced especially in Sith stories.

hmmmm
Knight: Spends a ton of time cleaning up after the republic's weapons of mass destruction programs, most of which are intended to be used against civilian populations.
Trooper: Spends a ton of time creating more weapons of mass destruction for Jedi Knights to clean up.
Smuggler: Literally a pirate.
Consular: Ok you get this one.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try Warrior and Agent, then. And maybe the Smuggler.

For soloing, should I go DPS or tanky spec?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Schneider Heim posted:

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try Warrior and Agent, then. And maybe the Smuggler.

DPS for sure.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Schneider Heim posted:

Juggernaut and a dps discipline. Vengeance or whatever the other one is.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dunno-Lars posted:

Juggernaut and a dps discipline. Vengeance or whatever the other one is.

Rage. Pre-3.0, rage was hella fun, and also pretty easy (to learn, if not master) because it was all about smashing the poo poo out of everything. Dunno if that's changed for 3.0 though, I haven't played a jugg since.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Rage is probably the best spec for levelling, even though it takes a little bit to get used to.

Warrior AOE in general feels super unwieldly compared to every other class' options, but i guess you can't win em all

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think I'll put together a new 3.0 OP over the next week. Condense the 2.0 specific information, and add a few things that I can think of right now based on the questions that we get -

Is the game worth playing F2P?

What stories are the best?

Can I just use the orange shell I got the whole time?

What's the best tank class?

What companion should I use?

Should I level as tank or DPS or heals?

Add information based on the changes to skill trees, etc.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Most of the current OP is still legit, but could benefit from some clean up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Medullah posted:

I think I'll put together a new 3.0 OP over the next week. Condense the 2.0 specific information, and add a few things that I can think of right now based on the questions that we get -

Is the game worth playing F2P?

What stories are the best?

Can I just use the orange shell I got the whole time?

What's the best tank class?

What companion should I use?

Should I level as tank or DPS or heals?

Add information based on the changes to skill trees, etc.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Most of the current OP is still legit, but could benefit from some clean up.

How do I make money
What should I buy from the cartel market
What should I wear to get started PVPing

• Locked thread