Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Yay new thread. Nice job with the OP. X-Post

Red Crown posted:

So, I just replayed KOTOR 2 and I'm itching for more...which means I'm finally seriously considering turning to SWTOR. If I'm really only interested in playing through the story and don't really care for the "MMO experience" of raiding and gearing up, is it worth playing? Also, is it worth subscribing? I've played up to level six already, and I can tell that the game requires F2Pers to grind to keep up with the story in terms of difficulty.

The 1-50(or 55 with the miniexpansion) is completely grind-free and you will never have to grind to get questing content. Some of the sidequests can get boring, but you've probably survived worse gameplay. The good parts of the game (group missions, class-specific story quests) are overwhelmingly amazing. Even Space Combat is fun for a good 4-5 hours.

Definitely try out grouping with others though.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Pex-Corrh posted:

Tanking in SWTOR is remarkably difficult compared to similar games*. Pulls are spread out, threat isn't guaranteed, AE abilities are on long cooldowns and not well contained or telegraphed, and a relatively large number of buttons you need to keep track of. I just got back in the game a week ago and still have two level 50 tanks which I was able to gear up completely with my gigantic stack of planetary comms and I'm still afraid to queue. I love tanking, but the thought of sitting in a Directive 7 experience and feeling like I'm failing for two hours doesn't help me click the button.

OTOH, if you're in That's No Goon speak up in guild chat before (or during) your queue. I'm much more willing to relearn tanking for guildies than pubbies.

*WOW, RIFT, and Neverwinter are the other three I have enough tanking experience to feel comfortable comparing

Grouping in general is more team oriented in SWTOR and is about proper CC and kill orders more than tanking. Good DPS helps make pulls be really clean. Tanking is necessary mostly for the white star and boss mobs.

I've played Rift's dungeons and the lack of mixed ranged/melee mob composition made me feel like something was missing. Tanking was about being the group leader, which doesn't have to be the case in SWTOR.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Samara posted:

The dye system they implemented is so loving bad.

The colors are poo poo, you buy them in gambling packs, and they destroy if you remove them from armor.

Who the gently caress devised this lovely system?

This update's cartel coin stuff is flat out dumb. Why the heck does the barbershop cost cartel coins for subscribers? This isn't just a 1%er whale feature and it would seriously bring value to having a subscription.

I'm not sure why they didn't ask for some community feedback before pushing out these systems.

Too bad the dev's aren't going to be able to filter the signal from the noise here when it comes to the complaints.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Rianlee posted:

Just started playing, and I was wondering which classes have tolerable or maybe even good storylines? I've heard that Imperial Agent is one of the best, and that Jedi Consular is one of the worst. Which makes me sad since I rather wanted to play a consular, but oh well.

I loved the Jedi Consular's story. Chapter 1 is the worst part, but if you like being Yoda or Obi Wan, you'll like the consular. Spout Jedi platitudes, learn the mysteries of the Force through it's past, create diplomatic alliances, etc.

Knight is more akin to Luke or Anakin ie you kick rear end and take names.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

What's the best class to just faceroll my way to the level cap? I love the class storylines but with a Juggernaut at 26 and a Sniper at 41 (and that Sniper has been at 41 since not long after launch) I am really, really, really bad at reaching level cap in MMOs.

I think what you're experiencing is mostly psychological - you probably hate the planets you're currently on and can't get into the planetary storyline. Soloing can get a bit repetitive at times too.

You should be able to faceroll with any class in this game, but then again, the two classes archetypes that you played are the ones that I haven't leveled up to max.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I think you mean Ilum. Or Taris. Or Tatooine. Or Alderaan.

If I could give a gold ticket to skip most of this game and just play the space shooter between instances and quest dialog... I would do that thing I said.

Um, might as well put down all the planets then? The ones you listed above are pretty easy to traverse.

The only ones that are truly obnoxious are Belsavis (before the awesomesauce ancient prison) and Corellia. Quesh is borderline as well, but there are enough good parts.

Reveilled posted:

If I had to pick one planet to skip it'd be Voss. There's one good bit, which is the vision quest, and the rest of it is "Kill Gormaks". Over and over again in every area.

The Voss bonus series is fun too. Actually, almost all of the bonus series that I've played were more fun than the original planets :v:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

So am I the only one not feeling Makeb? There's definitely more story than any other planet, but it loses the wide open feeling of the other planets and you're just shuffled from area to area.

I feel like I want to like it more than I actually do.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I see the gree event is coming back. I wasnt around when it was here in the past. Is it worth spending time doing it? The armor looks neat.

It's a lot of fun, because you're going to be doing the dailies with a group. Unlocking access to the Gree Mothership was pretty neat - it's a rep grind, but it was an enjoyable one.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

WhiteBoyShuffle posted:

I am sure I will be playing again, stopped just before Rise of the Hutt Cartel, was thinking of going Merc Bountry Hunter this time. Was powertech on my main, but wanted to go healing rather then dps. My question, with Mako as Merc, should I leave her as heals and just dps stuff down when not healing in FPs?

Stick with heals if you're tanking. It's slower but you'll never die (this is from trooper experience).

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Hakarne posted:

Yeah sorry, I forgot to ask my question after I got done writing my rant. I just wanted to know if it was a bad first impression or if that's pretty much the way the entire F2P model is. I wanted to know if it was worth diving in deeper or if my first impression was actually correct. The only other F2P I know of is GW2, and I was just trying to get oriented to TOR's "unique" take on it. I said come in! seemed to divine my intentions without me asking the question, so thanks for the reply.

I honestly completely understand the shock at being strong-armed to subscribe.

The main plus side is that almost all of the restrictions can be purchased off of the GTN and that a lot of people's F2P are being funded by active subscribers/people with more money than time.

The credit cap will also be able to be gone over (by a set amount of credits) with a Cartel Market microtransaction (and would be available on the GTN as well.)

F2P isn't "free" as in buy once, get the entire experience. It's more don't buy the box, most restrictions can be unlocked with a time grind.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I'm stepping on the in-universe terminology.

In other RPGs, a shield usually offers both block and additional armor value. In this game, a 'shield' is this offhand thing that procs a power field thing that does stuff.

I'm just saying, in terms of mechanics, not letting your offhand contribute to your total armor rating seems weird for the characters that use off-hand items.

Most characters have both hands occupied by something weapon-relevant. The one's with a weird abstract secondary thing are the troopers, juggies, and knights. For troopers, all things being equal, I'd like to see them get a 'grenade' object that directly contributes to their grenade related attacks or a 'brass knuckles' kind of thing that contributes to their hth in some way. But for the juggy and the knight, I think the hand-held force shield thing would be cool, and why not let it contribute to armor rating?

To be clear, I'm not saying 'do this now, it's important'. I think the ship sailed on that whole thing. I just find it odd that the conceit of an object you hold that contributes to reducing the damage you take overall wasn't taken to that step. I get that there's a deflection aspect to shielding--and that's fine, but I mean straight mitigation, not a dodge/parry/miss mechanic.

Um, just think of it like the shields from Dune (or literally any other space sci-fi). Not sure what the big problem is? Shield absorb is the mitigation.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

F2P right now takes a carrot/stick approach to getting people to throw down some money on the game.

The carrot: you get to play one of the best Star Wars games that's ever been made. The game feels polished and release ready (unlike at launch.)

The stick: impose annoying restrictions on first time players to make the first $15 month feels worth it (and hope that they want more.) Also, be restrictive enough so that current subscribers feel that there's value in the sub and don't go free.

And honestly, if you're new to MMOs, straight up F2P works. The only people complaining about too many sidequests are the people playing multiple alts because of the repeated content.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Other than the occasional orange shell, is there any real reason (other than completionism/achievements) to do Heroic quests? Most of them seem like a gigantic pain in the rear end compared to the xp/gear you get for doing them. I'll probably do them all on Nalima once just to get fat cheevos, but I can see myself ignoring them on any other characters.

The main reason to do Heroic quests is that they're really fun. Heroic Missions are basically mini-Flashpoints and my fondest memories in SWTOR come from conquering them. All of the heroic missions are worth doing once.

World Bosses haven't been worth it though.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Heroics can be fun, too, and are great practice for Flashpoints. I learned last night that, if I have two DPS who are low on health, the first one I heal is the one who doesn't break my Whirlwind CC.

Doing Heroics without proper CC is so crazy. Some of the fights are overtuned if you don't disable one guy (4 elites and 1 champion? let's do this) and you have to try to eek out a victory with chainstuns and aggro swapping. The entire fight is a burn phase.

Winning feels pretty great, though you'll wipe so much.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Fifteen of Many posted:

Hi thread! I just downloaded the game and all the restrictions on character creation are killing me. In your opinions, is the sub worth it if you're curious about the game? Thinking of playing around with it, maybe take a look at some of the endgame stuff.

Play through the game a little to see if the game is your thing. If it is, you can make the decision for dropping $15 should be pretty easier.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

Not a 'lot' really. You get a legacy move which range from great (Sith Warrior) to terrible (Trooper) to be used during your Heroic Moment, and 10 presence for each companion whose affection is maxed and has had every conversation finished.

50 presence is nice though - I have a Trooper and Warrior at max, and 100 presence lets me pretty much forget to equip my companions without much worry.

You must not have played femtrooper. It makes a huge difference having Jennifer Hale going all Commander Sheperd, saving all the loose writing.

Edit: Oops, reading comprehension. Thanks Warlocke
vvvvvvvvv

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 24, 2013

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Bioware Forums posted:

Hello everyone,

My name is Bruce Maclean and I am a Senior Producer here at BioWare Austin. I know there have been a lot of questions around the forums about what kind of content you can expect from us this year and so I’m here today to give you all a bit of information about what we’re working on bringing to you this summer!

First up, Game Update 2.2, which is currently targeted for launch on June 11th:
* Nightmare Mode Terror From Beyond. It’s got vicious new mechanics and is definitely not for the faint of heart. I’m very excited for you to see the new gear that comes with this, which uses a new appearance system we’ve developed for armor and weapons called ‘Scrolling UVs’.
* New Guild Bonuses! Players in guilds currently receive a +5% experience bonus, but now every 5 active players in the guild will add an additional 1% bonus to XP and reputation, up to a maximum bonus of 10% each.
* Crafters can now craft Underworld gear! But don’t RE that piece if you are still using it…
* Unified fleet chat channel for each faction, for easier group finding without having to hop between instances.

We’ve seen a lot of requests for a rerun of our Double XP weekends. Well, okay! We’d like to help you stay cool in the heat of the summer with three weekends starting June 22nd and continuing through July 7th. The third and last weekend will actually start early on Thursday the 4th of July, in case you are enjoying a long Independence Day weekend.

By July 9th Ops groups will have had four weeks to cut their teeth on Nightmare Mode Terror From Beyond. That’s when we will launch Nightmare Mode Scum and Villainy as a part of Game Update 2.2.2! New mechanics and unique loot for you.

July 23rd look for a return of the Relics of the Gree Event for a nice two week long run. Per community request the Event will scaled up to level 55 on this next run!

August 6th is our target date for Game Update 2.3, which we are working on right now and will be our biggest update since 2.0. Some of the bigger parts of this update are:
* New Flashpoints
* New Daily Area
* New Recurring Event
* Significant graphical upgrades

This isn’t an exhaustive list, and we are also working on some longer term stuff. Sometimes we have been averse to discussing specific dates well in advance, because we aren’t going to release anything unless we feel it is ready to go live and we don’t want to upset folks if we move a date back. Well I think we should just tell you what date the teams are shooting for, and if we don’t hit them we’ll just tell you why. Radical thinking, I know. As we get closer we’ll have a lot more juicy details on these - keep your eyes peeled to the forums and SWTOR.com for more information. Also, for those who are curious about the next updates to PvP, I will just say… apart from minor tweaks (like stunbreak abilities cooldown being reset on death in 2.2) you should look forward to Game Update 2.4. /rubshands

DOUBLE XP IS BACK (time to level another alt)! Everything sounds pretty good on my end.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

The new hair + hair color options for humans are amazing. Now I want to buy Cathar as well.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

dorkanoid posted:

I know of rocket boost being a good way to spend your first CC from this thread, but are there other things that I should've figured out earlier? :)

Itemization isn't a huge deal while leveling. If you're 2 levels above the mobs, you'll stomp them regardless. That said, I did use Flashpoints and Heroics to gear up, so I'm not endorsing going all greens. The extra stats help a lot and getting your companion well geared is pretty important for the tougher fights.

It's good that you're thinking in terms of mods and statistics, because endgame gearing requires a lot more attention to detail.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

I have to say that with collections and the new cosmetic options, SWTOR's F2P shop is kind of exciting now. The new long-hair options for humans look pretty good. There is a lot more appeal in getting those Cartel Market armors now that you can unlock looks across characters.

Alt play is more viable than ever (as it should be).

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Do they clip badly with armor and can you use them on 'alien' races that have 'human' hair (cyborgs, mirialans, etc)?

There hasn't been too much clipping so far, but I haven't tried with all the armor permutations. Unfortunately, they're currently restricted to humans but it is quite cheap.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Red Crown posted:

I'm officially wary of any Jedi Knight in a group. I feel like most of the kids who play this game for free just want to be Space Jesus. I had a group of 3 for a 2+ level 21 quest, they were over leveled. The Sentinel didn't even know what Centering/Fury was, I had to explain to him what the little box that said 30 all the time meant.

To be fair, Sentinels are really fun to play. There's something so visceral about jumping into mobs and smashing them all down. Add in the overhead flip slash and lightsaber throws and ... :allears:

Sure focus isn't the best spec for Flashpoints, but AOEs in general aren't that great for encounters with multiple gold star mobs (unless you're overleveled :getin:)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Lymond posted:

I just hit 38 with a Jedi Guardian and my interest in the game is nosediving. Once you've saved a half-dozen planets, the prospect of saving another one leaves you a little cold (or plenty cold, since the next one is Hoth). I'm also annoyed that the game teases you with the prospect of going after the Sith Emperor, so you get the stealth technology required to find it and then... you get to play nanny saving unrelated people in unrelated planets. This is why you get your rear end handed to you, Republic! Priorities! :rant:

Does it get better?

Short answer, it does get better. The next bunch of planets (even Corellia) are pretty strong.

Long answer, you probably spent 80+ hours questing so far and lvl 38 is around when people feel burnt out. My suggestion is play some flashpoints, warzones, space missions, up your crewskills/crew affection, etc for variety.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Sign me up as EXCITED! Haven't played much SWTOR recently, but if SSSP is good then I'll come back and play that mode.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

So what's the consensus on the Oricon content? Are people enjoying it? I was also wondering about Czerka and the new arenas also (stopped playing around June.)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Archonex posted:

The same reason they took out half of the end game armor, crippling their end game progression.

Mind you, that was the end game armor that was the reward for getting social levels. And was the armor everyone liked. Things like KOTOR era Mandalorian armor, Sith armor that aped Vader and other looks, the space tuxedo, and more. This was with pure black and white variants of armor.

They put some of it back in in the cash shop later on. But still, they are not a bright developer team.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was just because they wanted to ship the game out earlier and couldn't get everything in on time without half assing it.

Plus the game ended up recovering in F2P and the overall development is looking up, so I'm not particularly upset with the dev team.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Anyone have a referral link? I'm thinking of getting back into SWTOR and might even resub for a month.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

The Locator posted:

Here's one, or you could use one of the ones pasted a page or two back from people that have been playing a lot longer than I have.

http://www.swtor.com/r/8GfbV7

E: beaten like a woman near Chris Brown

Thanks! I was gonna get Captain Backslap's but it didn't go through for some reason.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Apparently you get experience for doing space missions? Seems like ground PVP, space PVP and dailies could give a decent alternate leveling path for people who just want to see class stories.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

And if you don't have the PTS, can watch the official stream!

http://www.twitch.tv/swtor

Edit: this looks fun as heck

Any saved vids of this? It sounds like loads of fun (Star Conflict but with better F2P?)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Finally found a video of GSF. Looks pretty great.

http://www.twitch.tv/jediconsular/b/480092226

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Rocket boots and a speeder helped me get through that stuff. I think speeder training can be gotten at level 10 now or something, which cuts the tedium down pretty hard. Whenever I'm on a mount in SWTOR, my brain shuts off and I just start enjoying the scenery.

The only thing that rubs me in a weird way about SWTOR (and MMOs in general) is just how complicated the skills and talents get. 1-20 is a breezy blast. By the time you're level 50, you have 4 bars worth of conditional skills and a different rotation for each spec (changing talents on the fly can get pretty hairy.)

I'm pretty sure I forgot every single rotation I used previously and I'm not even sure if I still know how to pull mobs :v:

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 17, 2013

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Tried out the new Kuat flashpoint with my lowbie. It's a great way to remember how to SWTOR again. It's more of a group questing run than anything else, but the XP is surprisingly good.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

What's the next logical gear upgrade from Tionese? Is it the Oricon daily gear?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Medullah posted:

Tionese? That's like WAAAAAAY low. Tionese is Grade 51 purples, the stuff you get as drops on Makeb are blue 58s, and you can buy Grade 58 purples with planetary commendations. Oricon is Grade 66 purples, so a HUGE upgrade.

What's the gear progression from Makeb purples then? I think I slotted some of them, but I didn't notice too much of an upgrade.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Thanks for the tips!

Man does gearing up seem convoluted :v:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Makeb is actually growing on me, which is surprising. The mob density is pretty insane and grouping with pubbies helped a lot.

Catching up on the Flashpoints too. Directive 7 is so Mass Effect.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Mostly been playing the Flashpoints - Directive 7 is a lot of fun. FPs are probably my favorite content in SWTOR (itching to PUG an Operation one of these days too.)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Medullah posted:

Sheesh if you're on JC, come to the Sunday night open raid group. Always needs more people.

Don't have a high level Imperial :(

Should've leveled one from one of those double XP weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Wow, Lost Island HM. How the heck do you beat the 2nd boss? The fight has so many different mechanics.

• Locked thread