Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm thinking about downloading TOR again. I last played shortly after the F2P mode went live, and I have a couple of questions.

1. Is there any point to being a subscriber beyond the character creation options? I'm thinking about resubbing for one month to create a reserve character of each class, then unsub. I remember the preferred status exp reduction being extremely annoying, but does this still hold?

2. Rise of the Hutt Cartel, worth it or no? I mainly enjoy TOR for the characters and story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Question: I just started playing again a few days ago, and I ran across the seeker droid quest. Is this as big a PITA as it sounds like, or is it worth doing?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nipponophile posted:

I thought it was worth it, but you don't want to sit down and try to plow through it all at once. Grab the macrobinocular quest and run them in tandem. Just hit a planet and clear both of those one at a time, and you won't get burnt out.

Word of warning, though: Both missions culminate in 4-man group instanced quests. The quests are a lot of fun, especially the binocular one, but lots of people are allergic to grouping or whatever and raise a giant stink when they get to that point and find out they need a party.

Ah. And I take it I need to get through all of that for the one same-sex flirt prompt I've seen to go anywhere?

I'm still slogging through Makeb for the moment, but it's a long, boring push. Hopefully there's something more interesting later on, but all I've seen of Makeb so far is a bland, forgettable planet with equally forgettable enemies. I was expecting a Hutt invasion to be a little more interesting than a generic mercenary company and some overhyped droids.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I've found the best way to do Makeb is wait until you're 53 and in the artifact 66 quality gear. The entire makeb storyline takes around 2 hours and y ou'll level from 53-55 in the process. Plus it's good cash. When my gunslinger hit 55 I had like 800k in the bank from just questing and that was with money spent on getting armor mods. I usually try to hit 51 coming off corellia, then do the ilum story (and skip the dailies), then sec x / black hole to 53, then makeb to 55. it ends up being faster getting from 51-55 than dealing with the late 40s and that horrible belsavis->voss->corellia section.

Unfortunately, I was already 50 and had completed Corellia and Ilum, so I jumped straight off to Makeb. It hasn't been bad, really, just a dull and forgettable brown planet with an uninteresting storyline and uninteresting characters. Reminds me a lot of Balmorra.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have 3 at 50+, plus a Smuggler stalled at 40 because of a bugged quest on Belsavis that I can't drop or reset and Bioware's been slow about responding to.

As it is, I finished Makeb on my imperial agent who started at 50. With some dailies and a couple of flashpoints done along the way, I'm now at 53. Is there a convenient way to finish out to 55? Section X dailies seem to reward little experience, and Makeb's are scattered to the winds and are tedious slogs like almost everything else on that stupid planet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Maybe oricon or cz-198?

Oricon is the volcanic planet, right? Already dropped by there, couldn't pick up any quests.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crindee posted:

Yeah Oricon requires you to go through its storyline first, and I think you have to be 55 before you can get the quest on fleet. CZ-198 is a good choice, as soon as I hit 52 I always head there, it's a very fast set of dailies and none of them involve any tough fights (just make sure you don't get ambushed by a wandering gold in the droid container area while you're busy fighting other mobs). Also seconding some of the Makeb dailies - you're right, some definitely aren't worth the hassle, but I can think of two off the top of my head that just require you to kill 5 silvers, all of which are pretty easy to get to. There's another that requires you to kill like 20 beasts, which is nice because all the mobs in that area are beasts and tend to come in nice sized groups. Try 'em all once just to see which ones you're willing to keep doing, as was mentioned above you'll be surprised at how many mobs you can plow past, and Makeb has all kinds of places to fall off the map once you're finished, which is a free trip back to the nearest medcenter (and taxi, usually), as fall damage doesn't damage your equipment.

CZ is good aside from being ridiculously crowded, thanks.

Although to be honest, I'm not sure it's even worth the trouble. The personal storyline is done with, Makeb is boring, and there doesn't seem to be anything at 55 beyond dailies and raids.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
After waiting a week for Bioware to respond to my ticket regarding a bug that stopped my smuggler's story progress on Belsavis cold and the game regularly crashing whenever I'd finish a flashpoint or alt-tab, I canceled my subscription. There's still nuggets of a good game in here, but not enough to merit a paid subscription.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Were you running full screen windowed or full screen? Alt tab likely won't work with the latter.

Full screen. It works about half the time, crashes and messes up my display's resolution forcing me to go into control panel to fix it the other half of the time.

And I'm disappointed with the lack of story stuff in general since I last played. Makeb is tedious and the story boring. The Dread Masters are kind of interesting, but I know there's no resolution to that unless I raid. The vaunted LGB content is minimal and disappointing. Coupled with the technical issues, TOR is just disappointing in general.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 28, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Name a game that does this properly without running in windowed mode.

WoW. Civilization 5. Dawn of War 2: Retribution. Skyrim. Those are the games I've played recently that did it just fine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Skyrim? How'd you manage that? I've never had alt tab work properly without it either crash or end up with an extra cursor. This is even after forcing it to run windowed.

*shrug* It's always worked fine for me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Archonex posted:

The same reason they took out half of the end game armor, crippling their end game progression.

Mind you, that was the end game armor that was the reward for getting social levels. And was the armor everyone liked. Things like KOTOR era Mandalorian armor, Sith armor that aped Vader and other looks, the space tuxedo, and more. This was with pure black and white variants of armor.

They put some of it back in in the cash shop later on. But still, they are not a bright developer team.

These are also the developers who removed the ability to customize companions to different roles, letting you take along the companions whose interactions you wanted to see rather than the one whose class best complements yours. And promised same-sex companion romances soon after launch as there simply wasn't time to finish them in satisfactory fashion for launch.

I want to like TOR a lot, and there is indeed good stuff to be found in it, but boneheaded development decisions and tepid technical support, optimization, and generally coming across as not giving a poo poo are things I've come to associate with the TOR team.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Six days after filing a help request about a bug that stopped me from completing a story quest and couldn't be reset or abandoned, Bioware finally issued a copy/paste thanking me for bringing the bug to their attention, and I was able to reset the quest. Quality customer service, this is not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Are you a subscriber? I hear that F2P players tend to get much less support.

I canceled my subscription on Sunday, and not getting even a token response to the bugged quest after four days was a factor in my decision.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, it isn't exactly helpful for me to say, but back when I played and had a quest break on my Agent, it was fixed within an hour.

I guess this means that their customer service is really weird.

Consensus does seem to be that I'm unlucky, or maybe it just took them a while to figure out what was wrong and let me reset the quest. It wasn't the only factor in canceling my subscription anyhow, though it doesn't help that the Smuggler storyline is slow and dull in general after Coruscant. It's the fourth class I've made it past the starting worlds with, and by far the least interesting. Trying to RP a smuggler not interested in the opposite sex isn't helping, either, when the game keeps throwing [Flirt] prompts in my face.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wtftastic posted:

Smuggler is actually pretty fun because you can be the smarmiest poo poo lord ever. If you haven't gotten past Alderaan the game gets loving nuts at that point, and its lovely. Plus everybody's favorite Darmas Polran comes back.

Favorite? Darmas might as well be waving a giant red flag with "I AM AN AGENT OF THE STAR CABAL/IMPERIAL INTELLIGENCE/OTHER-SUCH-GROUP" written on it. I finished Belsavis yesterday and I'm guessing that Darmas will be the real final boss of the Smuggler storyline rather than Rogun the Butcher or the Voidwolf.

quote:

Lord Cytherat is straight up not interested in the ladies but some of the other quest givers for things like the Dread Seed quest are flirtable with either gender PC.

I know. One flirt prompt per gender per faction, all in the paid expansion.

quote:

Then don't play it that way. You're a :smug:ler , you're supposed to be smarmy. Go for a Sith Warrior and just be super pro-Empire and incredibly sarcastic and sassy to your Master. It's wonderful.

Played a Sith Warrior already. Yes, the Smuggler gets the occasional amusing line, but evidently I'm not the kind of person the Smuggler was written to appeal to. Which is fair enough, different classes and vibes for different players, I'm just noting that to me, the Smuggler storyline was great on Ord Mantell and Coruscant, then dropped into mediocrity.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thumbtacks posted:

Eventually I kind of started to like Corso, to be honest...I feel like he kind of balanced out my smuggler.

I feel Corso has the classic TOR problem of lacking a good reason to still be on the ship if he's not romanced. Bowdaar, Risha, Guss, even Akavi feel like they belong on the Smuggler's crew and make sense in that role. Corso doesn't. Him having a thing for the female Smuggler makes sense, but if the Smuggler is male or just not interested in him, Corso feels like a fifth wheel that should probably be hanging out with a Jedi or Trooper instead. I don't dislike him, per se, I just don't know why he's still on the ship.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thumbtacks posted:

To be fair, generally Corso IS the one thing preventing me from becoming a pile of smuggler parts.

I use Bowdaar for that purpose. When it comes to backing up a fast mouth with lots of muscle, a wookiee is the gold standard.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crindee posted:

How's leveling as a Sawbones Scoundrel? I realize it'd be great for Flashpoints and PvP, but I've been doing dailies for those on alts for awhile now and I'm kinda burned out at the moment, so I'd prefer to actually do quests this time around. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like if I took a DPS companion I'd mostly just be heal-tanking myself while it killed things, and relying on a tank companion to be my damage dealer sounds slow as hell. Should I just respec to Scrapper now?

I leveled to 50 as a Medic Operative with a dps companion just fine, and still solo with her. Damage is usually pretty well split between me and Vector, and as a Medic, I can keep him up even against elites. It's definitely slower than a dps character with a healer companion, but it's quite doable.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommissarMega posted:

Might be a dumb question here, but are there any companions who have Cunning as their main stat, yet use heavy repeaters? I managed to find two in quick succession with my Knight.

Nope. Those are completely useless. See also: Imperial players being able to pick up shotguns and assault cannons and Republic players being able to pick up sniper rifles.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If there's a toggle hood option, I can't find it. Sentinel outfits all seem to have hoods.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

You can hide your head slot guys.

Hoods aren't head slot. They're part of the torso slot on a lot of armor meant for the glowstick brigade.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finished the Smuggler storyline today, and I have to say I was extremely disappointed with it. Occasional bits of funny dialogue were the only redeeming value. None of the antagonists felt that interesting - two could have been, but they're unceremoniously swept off the board on Corellia in favor of playing up the one you've interacted with the least, and has the least presence and personality, as the final villain of the story. In the end, I also felt like I didn't accomplish much throughout the story. Found Nok Drayen's treasure, woohoo. Zero consequences beyond Risha joining, and the main attraction was finally killing Skavak. Act 2 was completely pointless. Act 3 had a little weight to it, but it felt like a threat worthy of Act 1, maybe an Act 2 threat. Certainly not an exciting finale. I understand that the Smuggler has the lowest stakes in the story of all the classes, but it wasn't even done well.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but still. And why couldn't I toss Corso and/or Guss off the crew to get Risha's Jedi Master buddy?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stan S. Stanman posted:

What?! Guss is the best companion ever! Isn't Risha's buddy in some other classes story line also?

Guss isn't bad, certainly, but he's not one of my favorites. I like Bowdaar and Risha a lot. Guss and Akavi, I like but would happily trade in for, say, a wisecracking Jedi Master and semi-reformed criminal who works well with the Smuggler. Corso, I don't dislike, but I don't understand why he's still on the ship beyond gameplay mechanics.

As for Risha's buddy, I don't know. I've played Imperial Agent, Sith Warrior, Trooper, and Smuggler to completion of their class stories, and I haven't seen her on anyone but the Smuggler.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I like Corso a ton because it just seems like he has nothing better to do than screw around and be snarky to Rebulic officials, just like my character. I'm playing as a guy, so it really feels like Corso is just my sidekick who's having a grand old time playing Han Solo/Firefly with me.

I played as a female smuggler who didn't romance Corso, and Corso felt like he was tagging along because he had unrequited feelings for my character. Risha felt like a much more natural sidekick and first mate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CesiumCanoe posted:

--As mentioned in the writeup, the companions you choose for each role can add certain bonuses (reloading time, accuracy, etc). In addition, certain companions can only fulfill certain roles, though anyone can be your copilot. Everyone gets the new GS companions, but you can also use any of your existing companions - I tested with my 55 Smuggler and 55 Agent so I had the full set available. And, even better, you can purchase the option to use any of the other companions from your faction. Want to bring Kaliyo, Skadge, and Khem to your Sith Warrior's ship and create some sort of psychotic Imperial Dream Team? Now you can! Can't remember if the purchase was through comms or Cartel Coins.

You mention new GS companions. Are these fully fledged new companions, or are they just generic NPCs for GS only?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FunkyFlashman posted:

Ashara Zavros: Romanceable only if you are a lightside sith sorcerer. She will constantly be pissed at dark side choices and wants to change you to lightside. I wanted to try Sorc mainly to enjoy all the companions and especially Ashara Zavros but as i see it this will be very annoying and not fun if i keep doing my dark side choices.

Or you can be dark side and either not use her as an active companion or shove piles of gifts in her face.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Archonex posted:

Or just screenshots of the conversations. It's insanely creepy and abusive to the point of almost being a parody in how it's represented.

Just to give an idea of it, Jaessa can try to offer you her womb as an incentive to get married. And you can even manipulate her into basically being even more of a baby-making slave to you even after she does that. And it's implied a few times that she gets off on being treated like that too. :stonk: Twilight and 30 Shades of Grey have nothing on Bioware's romance writers.

It's like Bioware looked at their past romance quest lines and distilled the worst, creepiest aspects from all of them into a seriously delivered thing designed to make you cringe. And given the internet you just know someone was getting off on that poo poo. :stare:

Edit: Actually, the emails are good for a laugh (Or causing a real life :stare: face.) too. Especially the one where she admits she put a tracking device on you to see if you were cheating on her. When it turns out you weren't, the letter mentions that she's disappointed that she wasn't going to get to track down and murder the hypothetical mistress(es) that never even existed to begin with.

Keep in mind that at no point were you given the option to cheat on her in the way it was presented. She just kind of magicked the idea into her mind one day, along with a situation where she got to commit murder.

Dark side Jaessa is crazy.

Personally, I suspect this was intentional on Bioware's part. "They think our normal romances are hosed up, do they? Let's see what happens when we try to make it hosed up."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rookersh posted:

Also I really hope Imperial Intelligence doesn't just send out 17 y/o's as operatives. If we assume they are based off the British methods, all agents are likely recruited from within the military/ex special forces, which would also place them at 30+.

As a counterpoint to the previously mentioned dialogue for the Agent, Chiss Agents can mention on Voss that they were experienced members of the Chiss secret police who were seconded to Imperial Intelligence. So I'd say the Agent's age depends more on what dialogue you pick than anything else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

KittyEmpress posted:

I think the issue is that Republic side gets to flirt with a girl, and imperial side gets to flirt with a guy.

Or so I've heard?

Both sides get one male NPC and one female NPC both genders can flirt with, and they're not even necessarily on Makeb. And it's just flirting, and the NPCs in question are all bi.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

darth cookie posted:

Ok NOW I regret picking Sniper.

Edit; dammit I'm going to restart my operative and its all your fault.

That's only the smuggler. Operatives favor stabbing people with giant knives, sometimes electrified.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm thinking about playing TOR again for the first time since shortly after Makeb was released, and all I played then was getting through Makeb once on my Imperial Agent and not even hitting 55 by the time I finished the place (with great difficulty, the hutt battlesuit guy was a motherfucker, at least as a 53 healer Agent). Has the game improved much since then?

Also, is there a dual spec option now? I'm considering starting fresh rather than trying to learn how to play either of my existing Imperial JC 50s again, and am specifically considering Inquisitor or Bounty Hunter because I tend to like healing in group content. But I leveled as a healer relying on companions twice when I played before, and I'd like to try leveling as dps, switching to healer for flashpoints and whatnot if possible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eltoasto posted:

My opinion is that the new content is nowhere near as hard as some makeb stuff was on it's launch, no gimicky fights like that really. You go through two flashpoints on the way to 60, but you can choose to do them solo with the jesus droid that basically does all the work, which is fine as you are there for the story.

There is no dual spec option but the new class disciplines system makes it much easier to swap between specs, since the only things you are changing is your perk points (which often times stay the same) and your hotbar. It's nice not having to pull up a build on a web page and swap back and forth assigning points. It's a good story, the expansion is very well done. You'll notice the difference in quality the first time you go into a cave.

Hmmm. My main previous dissatisfaction with the game was the core gameplay not being all that fun (everything felt like it had too much HP and so goddamn much backtracking), and running out of story at the end unless I wanted to raid, which I didn't and don't have the time for.

Have there been improvements to any of this? I don't intend to spend extra money on cartel coins, and I never had 1 million plus credits for various legacy perks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eltoasto posted:

Well I mean it's still a tab target combat system. The new skills have made classes more mobile, but it's not an action combat system like GW2. I find the combat more enjoyable now but that's highly subjective. I'm not sure if your expectations for a MMO are realistic, so it may not be worth the money for you. But the SWTOR team has done a very good job this year and with the xpac.

I enjoy WoW pretty well and play it on and off, and enjoyed TOR enough to play four classes to 50. I was thinking my issues with the combat may have been that I leveled two of my four 50s as healers with a dps companion and one as a tank with a healer companion, which is why I was curious about a dual-spec function so I could solo as dps but then do flashpoints and group content as a healer. Is that practical?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fried Sushi posted:

If you don't mind having to update your hotbar manually each time you respec it should be practical. You can buy an unlock so you can respec anywhere and I think subscribers can respec for free.

Alrightie. I do plan to resub, as I found the free-but-previously-subbed version too irritating.

The active goon guild is Imperial side Jedi Covenant, correct?

Now I have to decide whether to play Inquisitor or Bounty Hunter. I like healing, and those are the two Imperial classes I haven't played yet.

Did they add any new companions or contents thereof since vanilla?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blhue posted:

They added Treek, an ewok that can tank/heal as an unlock able companion for anyone

I wasn't talking about Treek or HK-51. I don't find either of them interesting or funny from the videos I looked up, so I have no plans to get them unless I find myself with a surfeit of cartel coins or credits.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Treek is a little teddy bear of death, whats not to love?

I'm an inveterate goody two-shoes. :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dunno-Lars posted:

If you are doing sith inquisitor, please do yourself a favour and be a comic book evil villain that strangle puppies and eat kitties. Lot's of great conversations, if you count [shock] as a conversation. You even get to shock someone several times into helping you, then kill him as a reward. They made you over the top evil, and you should enjoy it.

Alas, I'm leaning towards bounty hunter instead.

Downloading the game on origin now, I'll see what I can dust off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think I'm going to take the plunge and resub to TOR after the busywork of the holidays passes. The OP mentions the recruit a friend thing for returning players - would this be applicable to me?

Tentative plan is to just start fresh with a new character. I remember getting very frustrated with the premium restrictions last time I tried to play free, particularly with regards to character slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

Yes, and click mine because Savarra doesn't even play anymore. :D

I'll bear that in mind, but I'm going to be traveling for a few days for Christmas and intend to resub when I get back. :) Getting the Star Wars itch again, and I'm happy there's still an active goon community in this game.

Thinking I'll give the bounty hunter a try, and pick up the field respec to group as a healer when I can.

Currently looking over the forums trying to get a sense of what's changed.

• Locked thread