Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
On Alison's newest podcast after the new year she briefly announced she's no longer with the ACS. The newest ACS show hasn't been released yet so I don't know more but I've got to say that I'm kind of bummed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Kind of weird. Makes it sounds sort of sudden. Wonder if there was a big falling out.

Alison seemed more annoyed with the show of late and just going through the motions. I think she's funny but a bad fit for the show. There just wasn't a ton of chemistry between her and Adam. I think the only jokes they made off one another was when Alison would make some obscure 80's reference like Facts of Life and Adam would chime in with "I was just mentioning that exact same thing to Lynette today".

I hope they don't just go out looking for a "newsgirl" this time. Look for someone who can riff with Adam. The "news" aspect of the podcast is outdated and goes back to the old radio days when there was no internet. Bring in someone who can bring up topics organically.

Seems as if she was fired for not being "side kick" material. In a way I agree but in a way I see that Adam doesn't even allow geusts to talk, let alone side kicks. I wonder if he'll allow her to use his studio for her show or if she is completely gone?

Either way I see it as good and bad. Alison is incredibly smart and funny but I feel like she dolidjt have a chance to shine as the news girl. But I don't know if anyone will have a chance to shine on that show.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Niwrad posted:

It's kind of cold the way he words it but he is sort of right. Alison is a crummy sidekick for someone like Adam. She is probably better suited as a host or co-host type role.

Gina Grad doesn't seem terribly funny from her previous appearances, but you can tell she is seasoned in radio. She knows when to jump in and actually talks into the mic. Not sure if she'll make the show better, but I think it is worth a shot. Bryan is still terrible and seems to be talking more than normal in this episode which is not a good thing.

Yeah Alison has stated that she has placed herself into a particular role on the show and I guess that's not what Adam was looking for. I'm really curious to know if they completely cut ties or if she's just off of the show but still in the studio for hers?

This Gina chick isn't funny at all. I'm giving her a chance but she doesn't strike me as quick witted or clever. Just a side kick. But maybe that's what Adam wants.

I noticed Bryan talking more. I like when he talks because when he "shits" on Adam's points it's usually with good reason. Adam needs to be poo poo on now and again.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Bryan has a moment here and there but most of the time it's him chiming in with a personal anecdote no one cares about or repeating some tired joke that hasn't been funny in years like the Jack Silver voice.

He used to be great on the sound effects but he doesn't seem to even bother with them anymore.

He was going over-kill on the last episode. Probably some sort of awkward tick thing to fill the space of Alison. I really am bummed that she's gone. I don't buy the excuse.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Red posted:

On the plus side, we'll never have to hear the stupid Facts of Life knock-off theme again.

No, instead you get Dawson with the shittiest news intro ever. Give me FOL all day long compared to that.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
If anyone cares enough there is a Twitter movement to tweet @nerdist to get Alison Rosen Is Your New Best Friend to his network. A tweet using #HashtagAlisonForNerdist. Chris is on Twitter right now so he'll surely see it.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

What would that do for Alison? I ask not in a smug way, I just do not know what the nerdist is or what podcast networks even do for anyone. Also lol what if Carolla tries to keep her podcast's name and staff via some legal spite. Could that be possible?

She's stated that she owns all of the rights to her show and if she leaves she can take the show. Plus she just tweeted that the show will continue.

Putting it on a large network would increase her exposure, hopefully make her more money, and in return would keep us entertained!

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

I cannot believe how brutal it must feel to be spoken about publicly as being "not a good sidekick" after having that job for like 5 years???

Not to mention bald Bryan still has a job and he is the most useless, white noise human being on the earth.

The main thing I like about BB is the fact that he sometimes has the nuts to say he disagrees with Adam.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

CatfishClyde posted:

Strasser challenged Adam all the time politically, didn't she? I don't see that as the reason Allison would get dumped. My guess is he got loaded and made a move on her on New Years Eve or something.

Gina Grad will get this job because not only is she "side-kick material" but she also has very large breasts. Bald is dragging this show slowly but surely into the shitter. Why Adam has sided with him over now two news girls, I'll never understand.
Is this for real? You really think he made a pass at her and then fired her? That's wild.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

CatfishClyde posted:

Eh, not really, I don't think she's his type actually, and I think Allison is assertive enough to not just keep quiet if she was harassed.

I would not be surprised if it came to light that he was having an affair, though. His marriage has been rocky and he's been boozing a lot, at least these are the impressions I have.

I would agree but I think he's got so many issues the guy would rather jerk off that gently caress hot chicks. Haha.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Her husband posted this to Instagram: http://instagram.com/p/xe0NDRoxXv/

Seems as if them parting was was not necessarily on good terms and (like the assumptions have shown) they weren't happy with one another for a while now.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

benito posted:

Random speculation... I'm going with the money hypothesis. Her show was #2 on the ACE network, she probably wanted a bigger paycheck. Alison has been a freelance writer for a long time, and from my own experience over the past few years freelancing on the side (I do have a day job), there are some publications or gigs that pay less than the time and frustration involved. You can do it for a while to get experience and get your name out there, but eventually, it's just not worth it and you've got to move on (contrary to Adam's maxim that you should work for free until finding success). Seeing as how Adam has severed ties with other lifelong friends when they asked to be compensated for their contributions to his empire... I doubt she's going to sue him, though, there was probably more dignity in leaving.

There was some hint at this when The Film Vault left the ACE network, and Anderson and Bryan basically came out and said that when their lawyer looked over the new paperwork, "It was the most one-sided contract he'd ever seen" in terms of revenue sharing and content rights.

Alison is smart, sober, and quick witted, which meant that she'd occasionally drop a little joke in a regular show or a live show that would get a laugh before Adam figured it out. Either it was slightly complicated wordplay or a more educated reference, but I'm guessing that really ground on Adam over the years. Add to that her habit of actually asking relevant and probing questions during interviews, like knowing that Eliot Gould's ex-wife was Barbara Streisand. Best of luck to her, and I hope ARIYNBF finds a home on Nerdist or Maximum Fun or elsewhere.

Very well thought out post. I can't see it going any other way honestly. From what I gathered (might be speculation) the amazon links were all dumped into the pot for Ace Broadcasting and then shows were paid out of that. So I'd assume she was making very little money seeing as she suggested everybody update the Amazon links from this point onward. I guess only time will tell. Adam definitely needs to talk about it more if he wants to win fans back, that's for certain.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Wow. Merry Christmas!

The good news is that Moxaloxa and a few others have tweeted / instagrammed that they'll be on Thursday's show. So that's awesome.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

pangstrom posted:

He would still be working, it's just how he's wired.

http://www.thewrap.com/adam-carollas-fired-sidekick-alison-rosen-breaks-silence-i-wish-adam-had-talked-to-me/

So basically Alison got an email out of the blue over the holidays. I tend to think getting fired is sort of the same no matter the kayfabe but that's pretty awful.

If we are floating theories mine would be a combination of the stated one and that she was going to get pregnant/need maternity leave. Also not a great (or legal!) reason to fire someone but it's "insanely pragmatic" and yeah Adam is generally that.
Came here to post this. This is insane.

He fired her. Okay.

Over email? What the gently caress? This guy is a huge tool.

I really thing Bruce is onto something about him having Aspergers. The guy is not capable of showing emotion. He doesn't get it.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Grant DaNasty posted:

Maybe our sweet little Alison isn't as sweet as she seems. The she-devil was bringing down the morale of pirate ship.

She deleted those tweets. or at least the "nothing is as it seems" tweet.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Tweak posted:

wait i'm sorry what reasonable explanation was "predicted?" he came off like a flippant dick about it, but at least admitted (however sincere ace man can get) that he hosed up the execution, and she deserved better. while it would have been fun to hear there was some sort of juicy issue behind it i think most people were on the side of, "well it's your show i guess, but why are you such an rear end in a top hat about it?"

Haha right. There is nothing reasonable. after 4 years of it going swell she was poo poo canned via email and with no warning at all. I stress that its his right to do so but it's also my right to think he's a cock for it.

JB50 posted:

Most of you guys complaining dont even like Adam do you?

Hes probably got one of the most monitized podcasts out there, and a lot of other podcasters would kill for the money he gets from advertising. Sounds like Alison had some issues behind the scenes that we arent privvy to and Adam is trying to take the high road by not mentioning them.

Alisons got her own podcast twice a week and she isnt going to be living on the streets anytime soon.

Relax jeez.

Where do you get that idea? This is as just as a speculatory as them two having an affair.

In regards to your first question, would I listen to someone for half of my life if I didn't like them? Or to put it into perspective, if my wife, whom I love very much, started treating waiters and waitresses at restaurants we go to with little to no respect, I'd be very vocal about it. It doesn't mean I don't love her. It means there is an issue and I'm speaking up.

Moniker fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 7, 2015

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Veskit posted:

:gonk:

You guys are terrible god drat.

Jesus Christ. It's true.

JB50 posted:

I have a dog too, but Im not gonna cry for weeks on end when he dies.

Its not a child. I feel bad for her husband, he has to put up with her.

I would be incredibly upset if that happened to my dogs. I'm an animal lover through and through and the thought of my dog dying a peaceful death is enough to make me sad, let alone a long torturous one like Oliver. At the very least understand that not everyone is like you and some people might be more sensitive toward some aspects. And to be fair, judging by how bad she took it, her on air persona wasn't that bad. In fact I don't think she shed a tear on the air. I'd have had to take time off work in all honesty and I'm grown man.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I listened to Alison's Thursday show this morning and some things I took away from it are:
  • That the crew was incredibly silent during the explanation which was to expected.
  • Although they were on this show they're not sure if they'll be on future shows, or what the future holds for it.
  • She's taking this is a good thing and considering adding another day to the show.
  • The crew needs to learn how to talk into a god drat microphone as well as get some mic stands.
I think she's taking it very well and I still think Ace is being dishonest about his reasoning, but that's okay. It's his right. It just did it poorly.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

JB50 posted:

Maybe Bruce still owes him 50 grand, and is gonna pay it off with like 5000 appearances.

BTW I listened to some of Alisons latest podcast she did from her house. She admitted that she been in a depressive funk lately due to her dog dying (like months ago) and her trying to get preggo problems. She also took her new dog on the plane with her to NY on vacation.

Maybe Adam found out she took the dog on the plane and that (Combined with her fridge)was the straw that broke the camels back.

There's 0 percent chance he would fire her for taking a dog on a plane. He'd complain, sure, but come on.

And about Bruce - I don't know why. The guy is treated like complete poo poo. I hope one day he really stands up for himself but he won't. :(

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I suggest listening to the newest podcast with Anthony Cumia.

Ace laid into Alison and told us exactly why he fired her.

With those revelations, I've gotta say I'm on Adam's side.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Medullah posted:

Can you elaborate for those of us who aren't listening to every episode?

These are the reasons he said he fired her (taken from Reddit):

1.) Adam would ask Alison to bring up bits he liked her doing & prepare for specific shows he asked her to, but she didn't listen to him & didn't prepare.
2.) She couldn't improvise forcing Bryan to take on female roles with Adam.
3.) She didn't want her show to be affiliated with Adam's network because of potential guests not wanting to do her show because they don't like Adam. Adam asked her to put the Carolla Digital Network logo on her podcast's banner, but she didn't want it there.
4.) Alison wasn't using Lynch's news stories he would pick out for her.
5.) She didn't read Bald Bryan's or Adam's book.
6.) She hasn't seen an episode of Catch a Contractor.
7.) Alison didn't want to contribute to the Patent Troll fund.
8.) She never promoted Mangria.
9.) Alison didn't say anything when Adam unveiled his book cover during his show.
10.) Alison never invited Adam to anything outside of the work environment even though Adam's invited her to numerous events.
11.) Alison didn't say bye to Adam during their most recent Christmas Party.
12.) He dreaded talking about Laguna Seca because Alison wasn't going to act interested in it.

Essentially she wasn't a team player at all. Adam wants a Howard/Robin relationship and she wasn't getting that.

Now that he brings up those points I've gotta say that they all seem to make sense (at least the on-air ones).

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

CatfishClyde posted:

I'm listening now and it clears a lot up, if true. Sounds like the immovable autistic collided with the unstoppable neurotic. It's just weird it took him this long to finally pull the plug.

For those of you who don't like Carolla's politics and don't know who Anthony Cumia is, you might want to turn it off before the guest enters :) I'm not there yet but I already know this is going to go full-on blowhardy racist.

I didn't think it was that bad surprisingly!

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

WEH posted:

lol only two of the stated reasons were legit and the rest are so immensely petty and embarrassing that it throws the reasonable ones into doubt. sounds to me like he was just gettin mad about the backlash and threw a bunch of poo poo at the wall in the hopes some would stick

What are legit to you?

I personally think she should have read both books and should have watched his show. It adds to the conversation. Also I think she should have had bits ready for that late night live show he discussed as well as the What To Expect When You're Expecting book excerpts at every live show.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

visuvius posted:

Its weird to me that you guys are taking her side on the Amazon legal fund thing. Whether or not you agree with the concept of the whole donating to the legal fund, it was about the team effort and pitching in. He brought up a good point in that if Rogan, Nerdist et al. were willing to donate through the Amazon fund, what the hell excuse did she have? She's on the God drat network. Also, Jesus how much could it have been? Whats it like $500 bucks for every million in Amazon purchases? I doubt ARIYNBF is bringing in millions of thousands of dollars of Amazon revenue through her link. Give me a break and just pitch in. "I'll donate a t-shirt" is some pretty weak sauce poo poo in the face of $650,000 in legal fees.

His other points totally made sense as well, especially the lack of recurring bits or preparing for shows. The personal stuff was a little weird but he keeps mentioning that overall scale thing and if thats how he thinks about it then yeah that personal poo poo will eventually add up. I'd probably be a little put off as well if I inviting someone to a bunch of poo poo and they never reciprocated.

I agree with everything you've said, but I will say you can make a couple hundred dollars a day in Amazon referrals, pretty easily. With a following like they have people actually use it. Anyway, the referrals go up as you sell more items. It starts at like 6% and can go up to like 8 or 9 if I'm not mistaken.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I watched the Benson episode and I have to say that it was cringeworthy at best. I couldn't believe how awkward it was in all honesty. Then I saw comments about how it was one of the better episodes and I was just shocked. I almost couldn't watch it. ahah. It felt so uncomfortable!

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

codyclarke posted:

Yeah I would not be surprised if she ends up being the new permanent replacement. She did a hell of a great job, especially for a first day.

I agree. She was really good. If improv is what he's after then he found someone who can roll with him (and make him look bad in all honesty).

I will say that I notice Dawson saying "In for Gina Grad on news" so I don't quite understand what's happening.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Beth the news girl who sat in has the sexiest voice I've ever heard. That's all.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Niwrad posted:

It was always weird to me that he never appeared on Adam's show after the accident (well maybe once). He was a show regular and all of a sudden just disappeared.

I got the vibe that he wasn't as quick witted in all honesty. I remember him slurring his speech when he came back.

Boinks posted:

Dameshek hasn't been on in awhile either.

He's not usually on during the NFL season. I'd expect him back soon.

JB50 posted:

Whos cares, she was depressing and couldnt riff with Adam. End of story.

Enjoy podcasting out of your dining room you idiot.

Why does it take her 30 minutes to explain what Adam explained in 5 minutes?

OMFG shes STILL crying about her dog?

She mentioned the dog in less time than it took for you to even write that sentence. What was it, 4 seconds? Maybe 5? Calm down.

Moniker fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 9, 2015

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Jo Koy had a hilarious one liner when Adam said "I've got bad news." - Totally worth a listen. Even if you hate Jo Koy it's a hilarious episode.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I'm going to watch Road Hard because I'm a fan but I've gotta say that Adam is a one trick pony when it comes to comedy. Everything he does is based around the exact same concepts, ideas, jokes, and so on. Although those bits are hilarious and worth the price of admission, I'm so over it.

I'd love to see Adam really exercise his creativity by writing a completely original script. Working on something we hadn't seen before. I'm not sure if he's got it but I'd love to see him try because these exact same jokes are getting old.

Needless to say I'm definitely going to watch and I hope to see more out of him!

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Hey guys if Adam is racist stop listening.

Anyway, Bald has been on fire lately. I like him a lot.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

WEH posted:

bald bryan sucks, and going around in circles about adam being racist is a biannual tradition; you'd know these things if you'd been posting here for longer than a month :shrug:

Just cause I haven't been posting doesn't mean I haven't been reading and listening to Adam for decades.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

JB50 posted:

Ugh Gina Grad is loving terrible. She does a lot of the things that Adam hates (messy car, wasting soda, NOT helping with improv)

Im starting to think shes WORSE than Allison. Cmon aceman get a real comedienne in the news chair. Other than her big tits, which we cant see on a podcast, what does Gina bring to the table?

She did improve on today's show, didn't she? And she went along with the losing virginity/huell howser thing which was pretty loving funny.

Also her having a messy car and wasting soda doesn't mean anything. Do you think Bald does everything exactly like Adam? The whole staff? Come on.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Transmodiar posted:

So, aside from podcasts hosted or co-hosted by Carolla, the only other people on his "network" are Penn Jillette and Jesse Ventura? Or am I missing one?

Dr. Drew has his own show, Adam's wife has two shows, Pat O'Brien has a show, I think Ray has one with one of their old friends. That's it as far as I know.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

JB50 posted:

She aint going anywhere, Adam is where all her money comes from. All she does is raise their kids with the help of a nanny (real tough Im sure)and she doesnt have a job. WTF does she have to complain about. They would probably stay together just for the kids sake anyways.

Just cause you have a nanny and money doesn't mean you're happy.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

JB50 posted:

Please, his parents have been dead to him for years.

His whole existence is due the fact that his parents hosed up. He's never dealt with his issues with his parents. When they're gone he'll certainly snap.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

JB50 posted:

How do you think he should "Deal with the issues?"

A poo poo ton of therapy.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Medullah posted:

I'm curious, I haven't listened to Adam regularly in over a year now. Where does he stand on Trump?

In my opinion he's a secret supporter. He interviewed both Trump and Cruz on the podcast and gave them both softball questions. Trump is like the Adam Carolla of politics. He has all these silly ideas that anyone can disprove with one or two simple questions, but he ignores or avoids those questions so some people hang on every word he says.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

pangstrom posted:

They weren't great interviews or anything but he asked Trump how he was going to get Mexico to pay for the wall two times in a way that made it clear he wasn't buying it and he asked Cruz how his tax plan would affect revenue in a way that made it clear he wasn't buying it. Trump was mostly chummy and Cruz was sort of stilted. Totally clear Carolla would take either over Hillary, though.

Adam has talked about supporting a flat tax for years hasn't he? Doesn't Cruz support the same idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

JB50 posted:

How funny is it now that Adam "Ive never been sick" Carolla is now sick.

Of course he says you arent sick until you miss work, which doesnt make sense in the context of him saying "I never get sick because I expose myself to all the germs".

No Adam, youre sick, and you probably got it from Gina because she was sick in the studio recently.

Or from his daughter who was sick as poo poo for like 7 days straight, or wife who is also sick.

The rest of your post is 100% spot on though. Just admit that one can be sick and it's okay.