Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Today's episode was classic. Toad the Wet Sprocket was there. A band we haven't heard from much in a long time, but apparently one that Adam respects. Might even have some interesting stories that we haven't heard before. They get to play a couple of acoustic versions of their songs, but the bulk of the show was a re-hash of the Mangria label rant. I think the saddest point was one of the band members asking Alison about who wrote her podcast's theme song, trying to engage in a little conversation that didn't completely revolve around the person asking the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Niwrad posted:

It seems more about him complaining that Lynette doesn't work hard enough on the Mangria stuff. And that she doesn't do exactly what he tells her to do all the time. I don't think the fish tacos was much more than a final straw for her.

I'm waiting for the inevitable post-divorce rant in which he blames it all on her relationship with her father.

If I were to be so unfortunate as to go through a divorce proceeding, I really wouldn't want to have hundreds of hours of publicly available audio in which I'm constantly complaining about the wife and kids and all of their personal failings. Is therapy going to work on him, or is he going to take a hard turn and get obsessed with the Men's Rights Advocates and start ranting about alimony and custody laws?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Niwrad posted:

I hate how Alison can make a real funny joke and no one acknowledges it. Feels like it happens once a show. Like when they're talking about his daughter spitting in Olga's face and how it's a huge insult in Latin countries, then she casually jumps in saying it's a compliment to her. Went completely ignored but I laughed my rear end off at her delivery.

Even more frustrating is when she asks an actual great interview question and the insightful answer gets derailed so that we can all listen to the Deacon Jones clip again, or perhaps some audio of car engines with Adam's narration.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Niwrad posted:

I have to ask, is the Lars Larson episode as bad as it sounds? Live show in Portland with a hack conservative radio host who thinks Plan B is equivalent to abortion. By the way, this is Adam from 10 years ago. Now he considers the people he called "retards who couldn't get laid in high school" intellectuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JssP5XKVqME

As is usually the case, the special guest doesn't really get to say anything, so whether you like the guy or not it doesn't really matter. You'll hear a lot of people cheering as they listen to Adam do commercials for his sponsors and a bunch of intro songs for various bits. Everything you want from morning zoo radio but people are paying to stand and hear it in the evening.

Side note: Greg Fitzsimmons, on one of his recent podcasts, mentioned that the secret to being on Adam's podcast is that you have to interrupt him and keep going. If you don't interrupt him and inject your own bits, he'll just fall back into one of the many canned rants.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

vote_no posted:

Also, he did say that bullying does exist, and that it can be really harmful, but that there just isn't as much of it as the media suggests.

Bullying is all about a perceived power imbalance and harassment without any retribution by a neutral higher authority. Which is why Adam spends so much time whining ranting about parking tickets, taxes, how his previous bosses treated him, why he has to commute to Tustin, having to take sexual harassment courses, etc.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Wait, what? Drew, why? :( When did this start? I haven't listened to the Dr. Drew podcast in a while, simply because there are so many podcasts I'm listening to, I can't keep up.

Also yeah gently caress that loan shark bullshit. Carolla's never denied he'll shill for anyone who pays him, but they seem scummy as hell, and those kind of ads have been creeping in gradually for a while now.

"Here's why poor people deserved to die in the movie 2012, because they don't make good decisions about money and we need to thin the herd. Now here's a plug for some companies that will help you make worse decisions."

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
There's a broader problem with the podcast patent troll fight: current patent law is hugely profitable for large companies that own many patents. Big tech, big pharma, etc. Current patent law is also hugely profitable for the trolls who figured out this weaselly loophole. Everybody hates the latter, but the former holds considerable sway over Congress and tends to resist any change to patent law, because of the possibility of lost profitability afterwards. The current framework is entirely comfortable for them, and they've got the money and influence to keep it that way (as well as pay off the trolls without hurting).

Carolla may win this specific lawsuit, but it does nothing to fix the broader problem or potential future lawsuits against podcasters. Regardless of the outcome, the lawyers involved on both sides are going to make a fortune. Enjoy the show!

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I'm going to give Adam credit for his iced tea rant. I'm at LAX on a layover and wanted to grab a bite to eat. The server started out with a list of all of their organic fruit and herbal infusion iced teas. And there it was... Organic passionfruit iced tea.

I had a beer.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Man, these guest host episodes are really nice. Someone needs to convince Adam to make it like a monthly feature or something after the movie is over and done with.

Make it weekly. The guests actually get to talk, Bryan and Alison sound like they're having more fun, and the chances of having to hear the Floaters or Deacon Jones again are low.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

pangstrom posted:

It's mostly an attempt to keep the door open for future action, to the extent the settlement is going to permit that for podcasters not named. "It's not that we don't deserve to get paid it's that..."

It will be interesting to see how Adam spins this when he can finally talk about it. It's not the crushing win he was hoping for, and this is pretty much what the patent trolls were offering weeks ago just with protection for 6 podcasters. Yay? Either he's going to whine about it for the next several years or is going to start calling himself "The Man Who Saved Podcasting".

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Niwrad posted:

Patent trolls like them don't go after the big guys because they have the power to fight back.

As of February, Apple had been sued by patent trolls 92 times, and as of that article, they'd paid the trolls in 51 of 57 cases that had made it to court. Big companies are great targets because they can pay and don't want the headache. It's like budgeting for bribes while operating an office in a 3rd world country.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

What Fun posted:

I'm hoping that there's something more to it then just those 6 named podcasters. I don't trust anything Personal Audio says, and I agree that that is possibly the most passive-aggressive press release ever written.

Whatever their press release says, the patent trolls are still doing something that is totally legal. They only back down when it would cost them more to fight than they would get. This will not end until stops listening to (and taking donations from) big pharma, trial lawyers, and the biotech industry, because they all profit from the current status quo of patent law. However, in the Carolla world, if you oppose big pharma, you're some hippie/commie/faith healer/ignoramus who is out to destroy people who pay taxes.

I'm not mad at Carolla, but his righteous anger is very misplaced and he keeps defending an industry that is the ultimate reason why he got sued.

Edit: More detail

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Ariza posted:

You are technically correct but if you say the words 'big pharma' to me I'm going to assume you're an ignoramus/hippie/naturopath/etc as well because that's the reality of the world we live in. It has nothing to do with how the pharmaceutical industry lobbies for patents and everything to do with people who hate vaccines and chemotherapy and pump their children full of industrial chemicals to get rid of the autism. Pharmaceutical companies are awful but their output allows millions of people to live every year that otherwise would be dead.

We actually agree with each other, "Big Pharma" is just shorthand for the pharmaceutical industry, and I specifically used that language because it is what Carolla uses when he rants against people who have *any* objection against that particular industry. It is possible for an intelligent human being to hold in his mind the concept that modern medicine is a wonderful thing while also noting that the Congressional lobbying by said industry leads to unintended consequences like podcast patent trolls. Carolla, or more specifically, his broadcast persona, does not acknowledge such contradictions. If I criticize GM it does not mean that I want us all to ride horses.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Ariza posted:

Sorry, I guess I just needed to get on my high horse for a second and take offense to something today. Carolla is mostly annoying in everything he champions anymore and I particularly hate how much he says his line hasn't changed throughout his career. He really needs some humility, and I think once Lynette leaves him and takes the kids and his fortune finally drains, we'll get the old Adam back.

And when that happens, the two of us will smile, clink virtual beers together, and then be quietly depressed that we're celebrating the breakup of a marriage.

gently caress it, let's just enjoy the holiday weekend. Cheers!

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

quote:

Jury finds CBS infringes podcasting patent, awards $1.3 million
"Patent troll" lost its damages case, but it can move on to trials against NBC, Fox.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/09/jury-finds-cbs-infringes-podcasting-patent-awards-1-3-million/

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Peter North posted:

It still sucks that Adam decided to settle, since apparently he had the best shot of beating those guys because he could use more prior art at trial than the EFF. Wonder why he went through with it after being all rah rah rah and muh free speech about fighting the case.

He has a profound ignorance about the legal issues of patent law, and doesn't realize that what the patent trolls are doing is perfectly legal. I don't know if he needs better lawyers or just isn't listening to the ones he has, but a courtroom isn't a place where you can win just by screaming louder than everyone else and ignoring all facts. I hate it for him, but his recent legal defeats could have been a lot less expensive if he'd just owned up to reality.

I mostly feel bad for all the fans that ponied up cash to support him. Those guys don't have a bunch of expensive sports cars sitting around in a garage.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Veskit posted:

Adam and August talked about the case some on today's podcast. It's worth a listen for that part.

I love the lawyer continually pointing out that, "Yes, you can still be sued in the future if you get more successful." Along with Adam ignoring it for the most part.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Random speculation... I'm going with the money hypothesis. Her show was #2 on the ACE network, she probably wanted a bigger paycheck. Alison has been a freelance writer for a long time, and from my own experience over the past few years freelancing on the side (I do have a day job), there are some publications or gigs that pay less than the time and frustration involved. You can do it for a while to get experience and get your name out there, but eventually, it's just not worth it and you've got to move on (contrary to Adam's maxim that you should work for free until finding success). Seeing as how Adam has severed ties with other lifelong friends when they asked to be compensated for their contributions to his empire... I doubt she's going to sue him, though, there was probably more dignity in leaving.

There was some hint at this when The Film Vault left the ACE network, and Anderson and Bryan basically came out and said that when their lawyer looked over the new paperwork, "It was the most one-sided contract he'd ever seen" in terms of revenue sharing and content rights.

Alison is smart, sober, and quick witted, which meant that she'd occasionally drop a little joke in a regular show or a live show that would get a laugh before Adam figured it out. Either it was slightly complicated wordplay or a more educated reference, but I'm guessing that really ground on Adam over the years. Add to that her habit of actually asking relevant and probing questions during interviews, like knowing that Eliot Gould's ex-wife was Barbara Streisand. Best of luck to her, and I hope ARIYNBF finds a home on Nerdist or Maximum Fun or elsewhere.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Looks like my theory was wrong. This is really weird. Knowing that her last vacation got screwed up due to the dog attack, it was a real dick move to ruin her Christmas vacation by firing her via e-mail.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Niwrad posted:

I think the discussion on the show today was fine. He apologized, admitted his mistake, and covered the topic about as well as can be expected. Adam's always been a dick so this shouldn't be too shocking. And the entertainment industry will always have firings that people disagree with.

My only issue is that I don't think the change makes the show any better. If that was his goal, there are a slew of other things he should be looking at. I don't subscribe anymore but still download episodes with good guests or when I'm desperate for content on a trip.

There was a point where it sounded like he was going to say, "In a few years she'll be thanking me for this", but either thought better of it or wanted to bring the focus back on himself.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Holy hell, that segment with Dr. Bruce this morning was rough to listen to. Does anybody know why he still comes on the show?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Niwrad posted:

Gina Grad apparently just got a gig on an LA morning show. Not sure what that means for her future on TACS.

We can be pretty sure that none of Adam's employees will be allowed to go on that show.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
The latest Alison Rosen podcast really goes into a lot of the details, and holy poo poo, Adam comes across as a massive rear end in a top hat. Basically he wanted to divert her Amazon revenue (basically the only way she was making money) to his legal defense fund. He was already taking half of it as part of the network agreement, and she had to pay for using the facilities for her show. drat.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
The Road Hard trailer has been up for a week but hasn't been getting a lot of promotion:

https://vimeo.com/118506346

Boy, that gag with the sign language interpreter is never going to get old.

EDIT: Opens in select theaters and on VOD on March 6.
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/409215-exclusive-the-poster-for-adam-carolla-road-hard

benito fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 13, 2015

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Today on the ACS, we learn that "Road Hard" has a 50% Rotten Tomatoes score because of a vast left-wing conspiracy.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

WEH posted:

going by how overwhelmingly positive his book reviews are the movie has to be legitimately bad to rank only 84% among his sycophants

I saw the movie, it's not bad, but it's not great either. And there are some elements that are really distracting. Larry Miller's "Baby Doll" character is just kind of sad and confusing, while Phil Rosenthal is a real life, unblinking, terrifying version of The Joker:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Matt Atchity got away with arguing about how movie reviews work for quite a while, since he actually knows something about the subject and does a lot of statistical analysis. I'm surprised Adam let it go on as long as he did. I'm curious to see how the bet about the Paul Newman documentary pans out.

Also, random stuff... Alison Rosen has been explaining how she did promote Mangria even though she doesn't drink, though her lack of support was mentioned as a contributing factor to her firing. Bald Bryan actually likes wine and keeps his mouth shut during pretty much every mention of the product. Anyway, lots more stuff is coming out on ARIYNBF over the past few episodes if anyone is still interested.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Lake of Methane posted:

Adam has used the word "gestalt" like seven times in the last three episodes. Usually incorrectly. Any idea where he picked that up?

Well, you see, the Germans are all about family and education, and after WWII they built a lot of great cars...

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Niwrad posted:

Her entire career has been "generic female radio sidekick". Exactly what Opie & Anthony used to refer to as "the hole".

It shouldn't be surprising since Adam has tried his hardest to turn the podcast into a generic morning drive show. Wacky sound effects, female sidekick fake laughing at everything, and taking calls from idiots. The show was much better when it was more free form.

Remember, what listeners want is repetition. Let's play the David Wild song, and then before he tells his story, I'm going to need to hear the Deacon Jones clip again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

pangstrom posted:

Yeesh. I bet he mapped it into the dumb-liberals-complaining-about-BIG-PHARMA pattern but that Shkreli model is basically the patent troll model... buy somebody else's asset and play dirtier with it than they were willing to.

I was wondering how long it would take before he came around to defending a patent troll. His internal logic is... unique. There's no problem with this because only insurance companies are getting charged $$$$. Just like how there's no healthcare issues in this country because you can always go to County General to get fixed up for free.