Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Wolpertinger posted:

Unfortunately, there are so many possible artifact locations that hunting down a specific artifact or location is unreasonable
I'm pretty sure artifacts don't despawn, so if you know of a particular hard to reach or find location, you can often check on log-in and they'll be available.

Speaking of which, did they ever rebalance the find rate of multiple-set artifacts to not make everything else in the sets that use them worthless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Did they remove the ability to COD things? Why would that pubbie just send people poo poo for free, hoping they'd pay?
REX are more expensive per point than just buying points, so he was trying to sell them using the cash shop gift function instead to save money.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

So since they completely retooled the Cleric healing souls, what are they for now? Warden for raid, Purifier for tank, and Sentinel for PvP or something?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

quote:

* The Multipass Terrain option has been removed, and instead will always be enabled for all characters. There is still an additional optimization ahead.
Grumble grumble that option was the single biggest difference in perf behind shadows. :mad:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Speaking of MoH, since Justicar hybrids are crap now from the sounds of it, is there anything remotely similar to how they used to play, or is it pretty much pick your dull Holy Trinity role and go do that now?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Machai posted:

You liked inquisicar?
I probably played Shamicar more, but pretty much any of the hybrids involved playing the DPS spec and managing convictions/raid healing on top of it, which made for some nice variety and complexity.

Plus I like support specs.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Zoness posted:

Double brez Senticar was a good spec for durdling groups but not a great one for like, anything in ID.
Senticar was also gimped at pretty much everything, it was just less gimped than a dead raid member.

Looks like I'll need 2 REX to get the SL souls, and then I'll be 31 credits short of a trade skill expansion, grumble grumble.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 24, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

deimos posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Senticar had everything you needed as a healer and did everything well.

- Single target heals? Check.
- Amazing AE heals? Check.
- AE damage reduction? Check.
- AE cleanse? Check.
- Best tank cooldown in the game (at the time)? Check.
- AE interrupt? Check.
- Reprieve? Check.
It was a much worse ST healer than Warden/Sent and Purifier, the AoE healing had mana issues and involved a lot of what may as well have been downtime since its conviction builders did abysmal damage and didn't proc anything useful.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

mr. nobody posted:

Even justice, even justice, even justice, even justice, doctrine of loyalty x4

1 minute passes

out of mana
On fights that actually strained raid healing (Thalguur, Hylas), it was pretty easy to burn out.

Also, did they ever change those butchering/outfitter drop quest items to stop dropping if you already completed the quest?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Murvin posted:

The number of auctions an individual character may have up is now capped at 200. Anyone with more than capped amount after the update will be allowed to finish those auctions normally.
This "millions of artifacts" event was not very well thought through.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

These screenshots make it look an awful lot like Tera. Other than the combat (which I'm guessing isn't like Tera because not much is), how similar is it?
It's not really similar beyond the gratuitous plate bikini armor. Here's basically what you can expect:

The core game mainly WotLK-era WoW mechanics plus GW2's random events. It's been called "WoW done right" and probably the most concise description would be that gameplay-wise, it's what WoW would have been if Blizzard was much more adventurous with features and QOL improvements, but the core combat, trade, crafting, and travel mechanics are very obviously drawn from WoW.

The cash shop isn't pushed much at all, the only really important thing in it are the SL souls, which you can get away with ignoring unless you're trying to PvP as a warrior.

The soul system is basically a mega-expansion of WoW's pre-pandas talent system. It used to allow for some interesting customization, but the expansion has railroaded pretty much every tree into 61-point builds, so it's more like having 36 different primary paths. Class diversity is almost the same as WoW (which has 34), except with less rerolling.

The setting is really bland. The art style is basically random H.R. Giger poo poo on top of random fantasy poo poo, and the dragons are basically an assemblage of Saturday morning cartoon villains that just pull another random plot out of their rear end every week. Or they're dead, in which case their cult is pulling random plots out of their rear end, which is the same thing. They've improved on this a bit with the expansion, taking things less seriously and investing a bit more in joke characters like Atrophinius and Auram.

It's competently-made and has a ton of random QOL stuff, which is the best thing it has going for it, but the reason I keep mentioning WoW is because it plays a lot like WoW. If you hated WoW's combat, raid progression, level curve, and need for 20 key-binds, you won't like Rift. If you liked WoW but wish there were more options of things to do at any given time, you'll probably enjoy it.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 25, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

Are the raids like wow raids?
Yeah, pretty much. The whole game plays like an extremely ambitious WoW expansion with less personality, so if your question is "does it have my favorite thing from WoW?" then the answer's probably "yes."

The endgame is largely the same thing, do random 5-mans and weekly raids, do dailies, do random zone events, run laps around a zone tapping resource nodes until your eyes bleed, whatever.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

DemonMage posted:

Not that you even use the home city much once you hit 50, since there's a shared city with everything you need at that point.
I use Meridian anyway for everything but crafting dailies because it doesn't tank my framerate, I don't have to maneuver my mouse around a mob of people to click the auctioneer, and the portal is closer.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

I made like a cab/inq/sent combo that's working pretty well...decent healing and the AoEs work well with the dots.
Investing into a healing soul for soloing is usually a bad idea. All of the damage souls have abilities or talents that provide steady healing (Glory of the Chosen, Contempt) or a lot of sudden survivability (Judicial Privilege, Wind Walk, Shadow Breach, Ravaging Darkness), and you can change one of your soul choices to Justicar to get Salvation too. Druid is the go-to soul for lazy leveling on Clerics because your pet will either tank everything for you, heal you, or crap out a bunch of effortless AoE damage.

If you're willing to sink the money into SL souls, Defiler is pretty much PvE easy mode for clerics though. They'd be PvE easy mode if they only had Beacon of Despair or Explosive Growth, but they have both, so there's pretty much no reason to ever die on one.

quote:

That being said, I'm not entirely sure I'm enjoying it. I want to try other classes but I don't know which....
Rogue is probably the most well-rounded class at the moment. Mage has a lot of stuff too, but is generally harder to play.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 27, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

I have the same dilemma at the moment. I also seem to remember that Cleric was way easier to play than Rogue, at least on the survivability side of things ?
They nerfed self-healing down pretty bad, Contempt and Salvation scale with healing instead of damage now and Salvation's return on AOE was nerfed even more, so you can't just roll a glass-cannon spec and stay at full health forever any more.

Defiler is still a cakewalk, but pretty much anything with a pet can borderline AFK while leveling.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Is the "energizer" cleric build still the best for leveling, or should I go Druidicar?
Justicar hybrids got boned because Salvation doesn't scale with your damage any more, and takes an additional huge penalty on non-Justicar AoEs, so you can't just run it on a glass-cannon spec and have ridiculous amounts of health coming back. Ditto for Contempt, which scales with your health instead of Vex's damage now.

It's a pretty good 0-pointer now, but if you want lazy leveling, you should either just roll a Druid for the pet, or roll Defiler because dying as a Defiler with both Beacon of Despair and Explosive Growth at your disposal is borderline impossible.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Beacon has what, a 15 second cooldown? Just drop a new one when you enter combat.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Leading in with a particular skill takes about as much brainpower as remembering to target an enemy in the first place.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

StumblyWumbly posted:

You're on a PvP server and nobody kills anyone on world events?
What's even the point?
Because if you kill other people during world events, then either their entire faction will focus you and instagib you, or on the off-chance that you get enough people to overwhelm them, they'll just leave because they've tapped the event and they get credit whether they help you finish it or not, and in return, you get to wait longer.

"PvP server" mostly means "gank server" because all of the options for people that want to face others that are actually level 60 and in PvP gear exist on PvE servers as well, and anyone who isn't both of those two is just a free kill.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Murvin posted:

It will also have a small window of delay between attacks after a charge.
Oh good, no more bullshit 31k damage rear end-cleaves. Now they just need to make it not aggro from 30m away.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

So I can get a title by submitting my zero-effort dimension item dumpster?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

KaneTW posted:

Why wouldn't it?
It's pretty much entirely based on how long it takes someone to report it. I had Fleshpiston in WoW for most of a year before someone randomly pushed the "give a poo poo" button.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 22, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Egeus posted:

Hi. New clerics, read this. I updated an older post since clerics changed a bit since way back when.
Shaman has a few sperg-out aspects to it and I don't agree with everything in that.

Macro Frozen Wrath and Icy Blow to one button because Frozen Wrath is skipped if the debuff is already applied. Don't put GS on it though because there's some wonky poo poo related to the 30% check being lag-prone and preventing the skill queue from working.

I'd have to run some long-term tests, but Massive Blow so severely dwarfs everything that isn't Frozen Wrath that it's probably #2 priority to have it on cooldown all the time (i.e. it's probably higher-priority than LH). In particular, if you're one attack away from it being off cooldown and have Frostbite, you probably want to use a non-physical attack to keep Frostbite up and hit Massive Blow immediately.

Even if that's not true, you should probably do it anyway because if you get forced out of melee range, you can't use Massive Blow, but you can use LH/FW.

Ekkehard's Grasp doesn't proc Frostbite, but Lightning Hammer and Eruption of Life (which are both ranged) do.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 28, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

IIRC one REX gives 2500 loyalty and it only takes 1500 to get AH access, but getting enough plat for a REX without AH access may be hard.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

King Dead posted:

Does Rift ever reach a point where the game stops you and goes "Sorry, your lovely rear end build can't handle the game from here on out, go make a cookie cutter character and come back."
A lot of the souls are pigeonholed into one spec pretty badly just by the trees themselves. On Cleric for instance, the Shaman 61-pointer and Inquisitor 58-pointer are about a third of your DPS so there's basically no way to make a Shaman or Inquisitor spec worth a poo poo without going that deep.

There have been a few exceptions like the Paragon/Tempest thing that just got nerfed, but those are pretty accidental these days and Trion seems pretty intent on making 61-pointers the best at everything except for grinding or PvP specs that need to mix damage with survivability.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah, defiler is useful, I just don't think a defiler could single heal Cyril because eventually you're trying to prevent the tank from taking 1 point of damage. Maybe the timing would work out, but I'm pretty sure I puri'd it when we got rapid assault.
Defiler timing should be pretty loose since they have an off-GCD ability that pops Foul Growth.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Apparently if you want to look Christmas as gently caress, and already have a santa hat (or will have one soon, in the coming weeks), get one of:
- Royal Robe of the Fallen, reward for completing Expert Empyrean Core for the first time
- Awakened Chemist's Robes, reward for completing the Lost in Transit quest in Kingsward
- Empyreal Robe, which you can get from the Adventure Dealer in Tempest Bay (near the hunt/raid rift daily NPCs) for 6300 Empyreal Sourcestone for the base item and upgrade.

Use red dye primary, green dye secondary.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 4, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

MrTheDevious posted:

Right on, thanks! I just remember my cleric having one button for single target and one button for AoE and I mashed the appropriate one as fast as possible. It was way back when Rift was first released though. Definitely going to download and give it another try
Shaman is a lot less dumb than it used to be. Lightning Hammer lost its cooldown (along with MANY other DOTs), Jolt can be cast without a crit proc but will do terrible damage and go on cooldown, and the tree largely revolves around triggering a 30% physical damage bonus with non-physical abilities.

I think there are still a small number of brain-petrifying single-button specs (Riftblade), but Shaman needs 4 right now for a basic rotation and is considered to be on the dumber end of the scale.

I haven't played Harb but it sounds like the spec for people who thought WotLK feral DPS was fun.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Repeating a helpful PSA: The dungeon finder has a weird bug/quirk, if you queue for heal+support+DPS then you'll more often than not get slotted into a DPS or support role, and much more quickly than you would if you queued as DPS or support. Today I had the queue pop for DPS in under a second.

Basically, if you want to DPS, queue as heal/support/DPS, and if it pops with the heal role, decline and requeue.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

mr. nobody posted:

Couldn't you extend this logic to the tank role too and just decline any tank/heal invites?

I mean, if everybody is going to cut in line might as well cut in line right
For some reason, the same thing doesn't appear to apply. Queueing as tank too usually slots you as tank.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

shut up gelly posted:

i really wonder if theyre ever going to fix the bug causing arc/shifting blades/brutalize to double dip so severely.
Arc and Shifting Blades got nerfed a couple patches ago and share a cooldown now.

Brutalize is a cleric trait? :confused:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Oh so it increases the damage even though it's a fraction of already-increased damage?

Yeah that's kind of dumb then, I thought they had stuff specifically to prevent that (what with them not critting either).

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I can make this on my alt. Either bother me on Killthehealerfirst or mail the mats to Nightelfrogue

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

So I used up a bunch of leftover aligners on one of those Fae Yule gift boxes from an expert dungeon and got a lovely blue wand. If you're looking forward to a holiday full of gear upgrades from those things, don't.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

This isn't in the same league as purplger but eh

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Tip of the day: When doing a Hailol foothold with the dog on a cleric, a.k.a. the one that gives a shitload of rep, switch to a Shaman spec and turn Furious Assault on so you can spam Pet Pup 50% more.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 30, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

It's not that big of a problem since they can just mudflate the gear tokens up a tier.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Druid is really lazy like every other pet spec, but Defiler is probably the king of being impossible to die with while still doing damage. It'd be impossible to die with just the beacon or just explosive growth, but it has both, and then at 60 you get a go invincible button.

(Inquisitor is far from invincible, but actually gets pretty survivable at 60 too because you can reset the Judicial Privilege CD)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

There are ways around the design focus limitations like making some options so painfully attractive for PvP that it limits the number of things that need to be balanced, but the entire well is poisoned by the whole WoW-like mentality. They can't entertain the grind-for-rewards and character-as-investment crowds by forcing players to grind away rank and character level handicaps while simultaneously trying to imply that the competition is fair, and they can't make interesting gameplay when fights devolve into sticking a minus sign between incoming damage and healing and occasionally slapping the controls out of players' hands for a few seconds.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

The promotion for Well-Spun Hats ended >2 years ago so they might be on the rare side now. I have no idea how much one would be worth now though.

It gives you (or whoever you sell it to) this thing:

If it still works, there's a "redeem code" thing in account management somewhere.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Decairn posted:

Does the TF2 Riftwalker achievement still give out that code or has it stopped completely?
The achievement stopped giving the code in Nov. 2011.

• Locked thread