Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Ihki posted:

I mean, is the issue the cash shop which I find to be one of the more generous and accessible on the market? Its "For Insane/Rich People Only" price tagged loot? Why should I give a poo poo, I don't know anyone who would consider buying those items :confused: Is there something else?

What you seem to be missing here is that a lot of the people complaining have been playing Rift for a long time, and while the cash shop wasn't that bad when it first came out, it's been getting worse and it shows no signs of stopping. See what Zoness said about lockboxes? That didn't happen at first. They had lockboxes, but the stuff in them was nowhere near best-in-slot. That changed over time until the pvp lockboxes came out.

Trion's also been rules-lawyering really, really hard over best-in-slot stuff being available for real money. The t3.5 gear you could get via collector's editions prior to NT coming out didn't matter, because it was only going to be BiS for four (later six) weeks and anyway the ~race to kill Maelforge~ was over (he was the last boss of SL and four guilds had killed him at that point, hardly what I would consider irrelevant). Having expert NT gear available for credits wasn't a big deal because raid gear existed and that was best-in-slot. Wait what? You think that'll make raiding in NT unfair? No way. You're silly.

And yes, people can and will buy anything and everything in the store. I think there were five or six people in my guild who bought the $150 collectors edition so they could have the gear early.

If you just want to hop on and fart around sometimes, Rift isn't a bad game for that. Just make sure you never want to do anything more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

(I miss doing the fun T2 fights, let's go back to warden thrax progression ria :3:)

Only if I can play bard.

Also that video makes me sad because most of the people in it have quit.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

Like, look at how little our tanks do in this fight - the only person who does less is me, I spend the whole fight healing an NPC.

Hey, not dying is really hard. I know, I've healed tanks on this fight.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Oh where do you turn it in then? I found some guild quests in Sanctum but I was told only the leader coul accept them or something?

There should be in a quest guy in the guild dimension somewhere.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Don't exploit in Rift, or you might have to... publicly apologize! :downs:

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

This boss has a 9 minute enrage timer. Roughraptors is a dev.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

gotta go fast!

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

Okay fellas, I want to start playing and, y'know, Join this guild and poo poo. But first, I'd like it if somebody could recommend an easy to learn calling/soul fr someone who has gotten to 100 in WoW and prefers DPS and Tanking.

I recommend rogue. The extra souls you can buy for rogue are a healing soul and a confused hybrid thing (it has flamethrowers though!); you can dps and tank without spending extra money. Riftstalker is the tank soul; all the other free souls aside from bard are dps souls.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Rookersh posted:

So how is the population for this goonwise anyways?

I played it at release and actually remember enjoying the dungeons/raiding aspect of it, but ended up on a server where they only other people interested in raiding were huge sperglords. Kind of tempted to pick it back up and see what I've missed.

Then again, I remember around when I left Trion was making a big deal about putting the finishing touches on Hammerknell, and now as I come back they are making a big deal about Hammerknell. I can't imagine it took them 2-3 years just to make a single raid, other stuff had to get added in at some point, right? I remember they wanted to make raids or whatever for each of the dragons, with Nightmare in first, then the greenguy in the really annoying mazezone, then the blue guy in the Dwarf area, and then ????. Has that panned out anywhere?

You were gone long enough for Trion to put out Hammerknell, then a couple expansions, then recycle Hammerknell.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Annath posted:

Hey so if I want something free to kill time and play with cool magitech people, is this game worth getting back into?

I played it very briefly at launch when my former WoW Guild rolled characters, but that lasted all of 3 weeks.

I no longer play WoW, but I've got a bit of that old MMO itch and the lack of sub fees is appealing.

Basically, is the leveling content compelling/interesting enough to spend time on?

Leveling is boring. If you are interested in making numbers go up you can play a minigame that is literally making numbers go up (haha aren't we so clever???).

Endgame used to be interesting but then Trion made a bunch of weird/bad decisions and welp.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

which one rofl

the only good things they added in an expansion were defilers and harbingers imo.

Hammerknell and Gilded Prophecy are the current tier's raids. At least they didn't do DH again? :shrug:

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

Oracle was overpowered as hell on release.

Like, bard but also a competitive dps.

I'm still mad about that and I don't even play anymore.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Thunderbro posted:

don't play rift, thanks

:yeah:

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Planewalker and earrings weren't ever very practical to grind anyway.

(hello from ff14, land of catgirls and cutscenes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Arae posted:

The earring changes suck, but it's only two item slots. Rift was never a min/max stat grind and I doubt anyone cares that you don't wear a pair. Even patrons had to buy earring slots.

F2P was never promised to remain static. By definition, they must offer incentives for patron. All they're doing is adjusting the patron benefits.

If it bothers you to be F2P, then pay to be patron.

They're still supporting this game and giving expansions\updates for free.

Source your quotes, please.

• Locked thread