Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Are longdog-adjacent mutts permitted in this thread? I hope so, because I'm posting one. :colbert:

This is Cookie, as best we can tell she's half whippet, half black lab/pitbull mutt. Whippet, because of her shape; black lab, because of fuzzy tail and webbed toes; pitbull, because of temperament and head shape. She is literally the sweetest dog I have ever met, and the only one I've seen that will actively seek out hugs. :kimchi:

She's a bit of a chicken, though a weird one.

Things she's scared of: sidewalk trash cans, plastic bags, crinkly leaves that skitter on the sidewalk, the Roomba even when she's on the couch above it, plastic fencing, when tall new people look at her (I'm tall, and she's never been abused as far as we know)...
Things she's not scared of: lawn mowers, fast-moving cars, power saws, obviously much bigger dogs that are clearly ready to Wreck Your poo poo... these are all things that say (play!) to her.

This is when she was "trapped" in the couch/TV area because she didn't know there was a scary painting sitting in the chair. She could walk past it one way, but going back meant walking past the scary painting. She just laid here whining until we removed it. :allears:

She is very destructive with toys, but only her toys. There was a bit of confusion with the cat at first, and slippers/sandals/socks still occasionally fall prey to her, but only because she wants to carry them around. She hasn't destroyed anything we didn't want her to after the first lesson. This includes garbage cans that she could reach her head into. She loves to destroy tissues, but if they're in the garbage they're off-limits. (unless the cat knocks some out, then they're fair game again). She won't even get her toys out of the toy box; she waits while pointing her nose at what she wants to play with until someone gets it out for her.

Here she is investigating her favorite play toy, the cat, until we taught her not to do that.

Hobbies include destroying toys, playing tug, running around like an idiot, and eating food, especially table scraps and ice cream. We know she's not a greyhound because she can eat all of these things and not have any digestive issues whatsoever. We got a dog so we could blame farts on it, but that strategy fails when your dog doesn't fart.

She still occasionally goes on hunger strike though. Reasons include: regular food changed flavor; regular food hasn't changed flavor in a while; people left after last time food was given; people came back after leaving; loud noises; wet/dry food mixture ratio improperly applied; this one time a dog barked.

We have a few problems besides hunger strike, of course. Going outside in the yard is a multi-stage process, involving 1) let human open door 2) going out onto porch 3) wait for door to close 4) waiting fifteen minutes for human to come out on porch 5) dashing off into the darkness to do business and chase lizards and that f*(^ing squirrel now that it's safe. She has no roadsense at all, and we're still working on her recall. She gets her feelings hurt pretty easily too, and can be clingy, though thankfully she doesn't have separation anxiety at all. She rarely barks, and her alarm bark is an adorably quiet and useless "buff... boof... wuff". She baroos when she gets excited, which is cute without being annoying, and her bite inhibition is amazing. Overall, she's a sweetheart, gives lovely tiny little kisses on the nose, and often has very important things to tell you when cuddling on the couch.

This is the last thing you see before she wriggles her head onto your shoulder, rolls on her back, and tucks her nose under your chin. And then suffocates you with her weight on your chest.

We picked her out because we had originally been planning on getting a greyhound, and she was advertised as part greyhound. We still think she's the best dog, even if she isn't a :burger: dog. She might be small, but she has won over everybody that meets her. We love you Cookie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

pastor of muppets posted:

Adorable! She reminds me of one of my favorite patients of all time, who was a pit bull/greyhound mix: slender, long dog body, GIANT pittie head. Sweetest boy in the world. He had bilateral TPLOs done. As he was waking up from the second surgery, I remember standing outside his kennel and saying his name,and his giant whippy tail would go THUD THUD THUD underneath his blankets. :3:
That's funny, because Cookie has an unstable knee joint, too! I wonder if that particular pit/hound combination is more prone to them or what. I think hers is mostly a patella issue though.

Every now and then, when she's really excited and cornering hard, she'll have a "blowout" and her patella and the muscle tendons will slip off to the side, and she becomes a tripod dog. Luckily it doesn't seem to hurt or distress her at all, she'll just tripod over to us, we'll straighten her leg to fix it, and she'll go back to being a dork. The vet said it's not worth fixing because the surgery would be worse than the small chance of arthritis she may get in the future, and it's been much less frequent now that she's put on weight.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I showed you that dog so I could show you this one (and explain why we're such terrible dog parents)

This is Spartacus:

We got him last Friday, so today it's been one week since we got him! He's a retired racer and has been in five races, and like the goon champion he was destined to be lost all of them terribly. He's only two years old he was so crummy at it.

I wanted to have plenty of pictures, so I shared the ones we had of Cookie from the past two years. It's a good thing too, because in the past week Spartacus has:

• Eaten six or seven baked apple slices cooling on the counter
  • Eaten half a pot of pasta off the stove back burner
  • Dug into the trash to pull out some empty sandwich meat packets
  • Eaten several bowls' worth of the cat's food
  • Found literally every single rawhide and cow hoof we had left over in Cookie's toy box, even after checking multiple times and removing them (at least four)
  • Dug into the trash again despite the lid being closed and ate some leftover barbeque, mac'n'cheese, and cole slaw
  • Tried to kill us by turning on the gas stove with his monstrous snoot
  • Dropped several gigantic poops right in the middle of the driveway
  • Finally allowed us to blame farts on the dog, though his are uniquely room-clearing

In comparison, in two years, Cookie has:
  • Shredded a pair of sandals
  • Shredded a pair of socks (really just one sock)
  • Shredded a knit hat

The villain in question, plotting our demise in his sleep.

Turns out we were completely spoiled by Cookie's good behavior and were completely unprepared for, you know, a normal dog.

Well, comparatively normal.
He's also stolen the softest spots to sit, though we were expecting that.

He isn't always the best at it, though.

You're falling off the couch there.

Idiot.

He's acclimated well with the other pets. He only tried to eat the cat's head once (giving me six deep claw marks on my chest in the process) and seems to like playing with Cookie, though she's clearly more into it than he is. We're hoping to build up his stamina.

(This is after Cookie went on a 5 mile run and Spartacus went on a 5 minute walk around the block. He's done for, Cookie still wants to play. Clearly a racing legend.)

Cookie is adjusting well too, though she hasn't quite figured out that she has to share now. For example, the bed she had been using previously.

It's ok, she occasionally gets her revenge.

Haha that's right bitch, MY HOUSE

Still, it's only been a week, and we already love him to pieces. He's so confident, handles stairs like a pro, and just loves to lean and get petted and EAT OH MY GOD THIS DOG IS INSATIABLE. Seriously dog, you go through five cups of food a day, why are you stealing half of our dinner and our garbage?!

Truly, the dog of kings.

E: to add - I also love how laying down for him is an involved process that looks like a building collapsing in slow motion, and him going down stairs when he's excited is like someone threw a rocking horse down a stairwell

2E: We can add a cat turd and a used hygiene product to the things he's dug out and tried to eat now. Well done showing us how completely unprepared we are for your bullshit. :suicide:

Also good job peeing on your own drat foot.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 6, 2016

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fuzz Feets posted:

Thanks for sharing all the pics and congrats on your giant skinny hound!

He's beautiful! I love when they have that black mask.

Also, what is it about cat turds in particular that they love so much? Mine's pretty good about not eating things she's not supposed to, but any chance she gets to get to the litter boxes, she'll happily go to town. I've had to make her puke it up before because she got in there and cleaned house (mostly because the litter causing an impaction in her guts was a big concern.) Will disregard her own and other dogs' poo poo, looooves her some cat poop. And sticking her nose up the cats' butts like she's some truffle-hunting pig, but for poop. :barf:
Thanks guys! We are very happy with our big long-dog and his mask. I hope you don't mind my photo dumps, we just love him so much and wanted to share with other long-dog-havers!

As for cat poop, I've heard poop-eating (coprophagia) in dogs sometimes comes from an iron deficiency, because dead red blood cells get deposited in poop and it might be an attempt to reclaim the iron from hemoglobin. Cat poop is especially rich in iron because they are obligate carnivores and are more likely to have a higher concentration of meat in their diet. With greyhounds' incredibly high red blood cell count it would make sense, too.

Spartacus doesn't raid litterboxes, thankfully, we just have a geriatric cat that misses the box sometimes, and he interpreted this as floor candy :downs:

In other news, we went to the dog park today! And surprisingly, there were a lot of other hounds there too! At least four others!

All five of them were around here, but the other two are to the left and right of the frame. This was the best I managed of all of them :/

We got to see him run flat-out for the first time, and he spent a good 15 minutes chasing after a bird, a swift or swallow of some kind, and he was keeping pace with it! It was a low-flying insectivore and he was having a blast chasing after it. He got himself overheated though.

He learned this trick from one of the other greyhounds.

He was worn out after that. Here's the aftermath:

Bonus glamour shot: :swoon:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

dog days are over posted:

He's gorgeous. They're so goddamn goofy the way they sleep.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Allegedly.

Add some chopped mushrooms and a ripe tomato to the casualty list. At least the tomato required the cat's help to knock off the table.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I'm so sorry :(

Good Dog, Tatianna.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Spartacus continues to endear himself to us by:

• Stealing a tomato from the garden and treating it as a squishy toy inside on the rug.
  • Eating grass and then barfing in the house.
  • Acting like he's being murdered every time I try to wipe his butt.
  • Jumping up on the bed while we're gone so he can claw around the covers to sleep, even though he has a couch and chair and several dog beds and knows he's not supposed to be up there, mister! :argh:
  • Knocking down one of our sunflowers because he's a clumsy git.
  • Generally just being an uncoordinated bag of bones with no understanding of how his limbs work, instead getting from one place to another via violent flailing. Wood floors have nothing to do with it, either.

In short I'm pretty sure my dog is broken.

How is that comfortable?!

I mean seriously. You look like an idiot.

Idiot.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah once when walking Gannon he was jumping around a bit with another dog and managed to get his lead in the webbing between his toes. It took a minute to convince the other people that their dog hadn't just horribly injured mine and that he is in fact just that big of a crybaby.
Oh yeah, that reminds me, Sparty jumped up on my spouse and got the headphone wire between his pads, and from the sound of it you'd think he'd had it chopped off.

Are greyhounds just dramatic in general? When he sighs and lays down its like he just pulled a 26 hour shift. There's usually dramatic flopping involved. It's especially funny when he falls on a squeaky toy and bounces back up again.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

bamhand posted:

This is pretty correct. Though from what I understand they're just not a breed that wants to please people all the time and not the most food driven so it can make training difficult. So the untrainable part doesn't necessarily mean they are super dumb. That said, I don't think anyone would ever call them a smart breed.
Spartacus is indeed broken then, because he is insanely food motivated but is still dumber than a sack of hammers. I haven't had any luck getting him to learn tricks so far, he gets so psyched by food he loses all control and turns into a spaz, but if there's no food I can't get him to give a poo poo. From the way he acts at food times it's like we've been starving him the whole time, and he mobs me whenever he hears the treat jar.

For reference I've taught Cookie how to sit, stay, lay down, shake, spin, jump, and we're working on roll over, bow, and place, and our cat Gus can stand up, wave, spin, shake, and sometimes sit.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

teacup posted:

DOGS!!!!

They pretty much came house trained from the rescue place we got them from. I've always been a bit confused by crate training. And there any resources people reccomend to narrow down the mammoth google search I've got on my hands when I put in "Crate training". Do both dogs go in the one crate? Or get two seperate ones?

EDIT- We also have a spare room we were thinking of kinda turning into 'their' room while we are away. Can we essentially take the lessons of 'crate training' online into just a giant room where they will go when we are away?
You need to establish which places are "home" or their den and unsuitable for relieving themselves, and which are ok for elimination. When they had to hold it so long they had an accident that flipped the switch from den to poop-place.

Crate training is basically making their crate into their den, a safe place to go back to and their "home" inside the home. It's never for punishment, only good things happen there.

If getting into the bread is the only issue for leaving them free rein in the house, you could consider getting muzzles for them. We've been putting Spartacus's on when we leave for extended periods just in case, because he started disliking his crate, and he clearly prefers being able to wander the house. He's pretty comfortable in his and can still drink water in it just fine, too.

You'll still have to rehousetrain (definitely get some enzymatic cleaner, Nature's Miracle works well for us) but it's an option if you're interested.

E:

Chosen posted:

My wife and I joined the greyhound cult a couple weeks ago. Meet Dahlia (yes, she needs a few burgers yet).

She's intensely curious and outgoing:

She is as stubborn as a mule. She statues all the time. At first, we thought this was due to fear and the strangeness of city life. Now, two weeks in, I know that she just freezes because she doesn't want to do whatever I'm currently proposing because it's boring. In this picture, it sure looks like she's afraid of the stairs, but actually she just wants to collect more scent information 5 feet away. She doesn't care that we've already been out for hours and I'm late for work.

She does yoga when eating chew treats:

She loves people so much, and she resents almost all of the other dogs we meet. It's been a real treat adopting her, I don't think we could've asked for a better first dog.
I missed this earlier, Dahlia is beautiful, nice and sleek! From one new skinnydog owner to another, welcome!

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 28, 2016

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fuzz Feets posted:

Omg this is literally the best thing I've seen all day! Happy Birthday Peter, rock on party hounds!

Agreed, they look like such happy boys!

Happy birthday dogs!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Update on the household casualty list:

• Pot of pasta and sauce #2 (I thought it was my spouse putting the food away)
  • 2 loaves of bread (spouse left them on the counter, I was gone for 30 minutes)
  • Empty cardboard boxes from the recycling (???)

We at least seem to have stopped the main sources of trouble he can get into, even if it was essentially process of elimination. He also continues to find ways to jump on the bed when we're not around to watch him.

Also, :what:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I can't wait to do to Spartacus what you've done to Reese; greyhounds in party hats just look so festive! :toot:

Also hooray Idunn! I can't tell how gorgeous she is, you should post more pictures.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
My condolences slap me silly. It's hard to let friends pass. :( I would love to hear about Sir Pointybutt and his adventures, if you like.

Idunn is gorgeous, can confirm :swoon:

I love brindles so much, I had hoped we'd be able to adopt one, but the one I got is okay. I guess.

Xguard86 posted:

our goofiest is also our most cunning. For example: When my mom visits she has a whole routine of goofiness to get attention. She is also responsible for most of the destruction we see occur.
It would certainly explain Spartacus. He is a dorky goofy angel any time someone is near; as soon as he's out of sight, LET CHAOS REIGN :black101:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 28, 2016

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fuzz Feets posted:

Nacho is a handsome hound, their cute faces and the ETS get me every time! Welcome to the skinny dog club.
Agree! And I leaned a new term for when Sparty's tongue doesn't fit in his pointy face.

Also bad news, Spartacus picked up hookworms from somewhere :( He'd had a few cases of diarrhea and was straining to poop so we were really worried he'd eaten something and had an intestinal blockage, but vet confirmed he had hookworms. After the first treatment and a nasty bloody stool he's started to get more solid poops. We also had a preventative dose for Cookie.

Best guess is that he picked it up from the dog park, because it has been weeks since we adopted him and I don't think they could be dormant for that long.

Anyway, feel better soon bubby.

...just because humans leave two limbs off of seats doesn't mean that's how you use chairs, dummies.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Lagomorphic posted:

Your dog needs a sofa.

Seems fine to me? :confused:

Here, let's try the couch thing...

Hmmm, I'm not sure it's working...

New theory: greyhounds are a liquid that will deform to match the shape of their container cushions.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 6, 2016

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's almost Halloween, show us your halloweenies!

As our first Halloween with a greyhound we had to do the completely original traditional costume of his people:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

It cracks me up because I've seen variations of that costume so many times and in every single photo the hound looks so sad to be a bus.

I am the worst greyhound owner because this is the third Halloween I've had one and I still have never dressed her up.

slap me silly posted:

I can't get enough of these wonderful greyhound WTF faces

Greyhounds: We are so sad to be a bus

E: He's still got hookworms, first round of treatment didn't eradicate them completely, redoing it with a new drug. I've come to think that the first round was still the ones he had from the track, just really resilient drug-resistant ones.

Also I don't give a poo poo about Spartacus's feelings about being a bus, he tore up a fabric grocery bag and stole cardboard out of the recycling (and the occasional poop indoors, but that's from worms so he gets a pass for now). Crate arrived from Amazon today, you had your chance buddy-boy :colbert:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 30, 2016

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Does he sigh dramatically when he finally flops down? That's how you know you've got a Certified Grade-A Nosedog.

e. o poo poo new page

It is known.

I don't know what Spartacus does all say when we're at work, but it's apparently exhausting. That or he's an eternally suffering teenager.

Quite a comfy longdog you got there!

And look at that handsome Rico! I wanna nom those ears :swoon:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
In the past week, Spartacus has:

• Woken us up at 3:30 am and whined until one of us goes downstairs so he can sleep on the chair, then whined again at that person from 5-6 until we feed him
  • had his hookworms recur again. This makes the third time: once off the track, once a month or so after we got him, again two weeks ago, and now we're treating him a fourth time. Different (expensive) medicine each time, these fuckers just. will. not. die.
  • raided the pantry and tore up a bag of brown sugar, a bag of confectioners sugar, a box of baking soda, and some pretzel chips, all over the rug. I don't know what he was making but it sounds delicious.
  • got scared when my spouse slipped on a walk, and he bit a small dog bad enough it was bleeding and needed a $1100 vet bill.
  • and now, I've just learned, has decided to pee in the house for our dog sitter while my spouse and I are away on travel. This is probably because
  • ...he drinks all the water in all of the bowls, leaving none for our other animals.

Dog, you are not doing yourself any favors. :rant:

I can't wait until we can get done with crate games and can avoid this in the future.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I forgot one other thing, Spartacus has been peeing on the bushes in the back yard so much they've been dying at convenient leg-lifting height. I forgot because I don't really like them and want them to die anyway. Thanks Spartacus!

The perpetrator artist next to his handiwork

E: per the above, the Saddest Dog because we are leaving to see a movie

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 18, 2016

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

I love all your idiots

I took him on a walk yesterday and an old guy asked me, "Is that a greyhound?"

"Yes it is! He's a retired racer. "

"Beautiful! Is he smart?"

"Nope! Dumber than a bag of hammers."

"Oh. That's no good. " :geno:

No good indeed, Sparty. Maybe if you were actually a good dog I wouldn't have to insult you in front of strangers. :colbert:

(I love my idiot too. If nothing else as a target of verbal abuse)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Noodle, a Good Dog :3:

I can't wait to see more of Noodle the lazy dog!

Cookie and Sparty can't wait either!

...these are their excited faces, I swear! (Cookie wants to play, Sparty wants to laze :3:)

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 24, 2016

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Your dogs are self-separating :v:

Thus far I have taught Spartacus "Wait..." and one-half each of Shake and Spin. He also knows Drop It, but I think that's just because he startled when we shout and pretends he wasn't being bad. By this point owning Cookie we'd already had most of her repertoire, and even Gus could Wave, Spin, and Stand.

Truly the Dog of Kings

E: Another day in the hard life of a noodle hound

2E: Sleepytime hound

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 27, 2016

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Give it time, whatever choice you make will be the right one. In the meantime, playing separation games might help ease some of her separation anxiety.

Hang in there Tizzy/Noodle, we need more hounds in the thread!

In Spartacus related news, we've kinda-mostly stopped the midnight wake ups by just toughing out his whining, and he got a negative screening for the vet from hookworm! He still tries to get us up early for food, but we've managed to convince him we WILL feed him eventually, so he'll settle down after some reassurance. Last weekend after being let out at 5:00 am he stayed quiet until 9!

We've also been restricting his water when we're not around so he doesn't overindulge and have accidents, but that had the side effect of teaching him to drink from the toilet :/ Closing the lids has mostly fixed that.

Overall he's become noticeably more affectionate and attached. He's also become very defensive about the house barking at intruder mailmen and service people. He somehow knows family and friends though; those get the happy tail whap :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

slap me silly posted:

Mine would come running into the kitchen every time he heard a knife on the cutting board :3:

Bread loaf count is up to five with Spartacus.

More if you count things like pretzels or the time we stopped him before he tore into the loaf.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Things were great with Spartacus, he was sleeping through the night, or if he did whine at us he would settle down after we ignored him. Except last time, after whining for a long time, he let loose on the rug :(

So back to trying to figure out from his whining whether he 1) needs to go out to pee 2) wants to go out and make sure that fukken dog isn't there 3) will die of hunger if he isn't fed RIGHT NOW or 4) is lonely and wants someone to sit on the couch with him downstairs.

So there's just enough of a chance that he needs to go out that we can't ignore him any more, but odds are usually that we don't actually need to get up.

gently caress you, rear end in a top hat.

So does anyone else have trouble getting their hound to hold it through the night? We let him out right before bed at 10:00 and we usually get up at 6, but he couldn't even make it to 3:00 when he went indoors.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

slap me silly posted:

Did he actually empty out at 10:00, or did he just fart around and mark a bush or two?

He's normally out there a while (and unloads on that bush he's killing), but we might have to watch him more closely.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the advice guys, we'll work on making sure he drains the tank at night. We hadn't been watching closely because he's been so intent on marking that bush and going outside in general; he's been a bit of a door charger, something we've had to train him on, even in the rain. We'll have to see what cold and snow bring to that.

As thanks, have yet another stupid picture of my stupid dogs:

(I'm told they did this to themselves)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Oh my god that's horrible! I'm so sorry for your loss, Meesha looks amazing :(

Please feel free to share stories, I love hearing about dumb lovable dogs, and it's clear Meesha was well loved

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Spartacus is such a loving princess. He's decided some of his dog treats aren't good enough for him, and spits them out if I try to reward him. I've been using cat treats just so he continues training. On that note, even cat treats can't convince him to lean down to pick up the ones he drops from his dumb face. Lazy prick.

Cookie seems pretty happy with this state of affairs, though.

Still having problems with pee, he barely made it to six hours, even controlling his water. He also failed several four-hour stints, but I think that's because he figured out how to lift the toilet lid. Should have figured; as my sister said, "I guess if you have a wedge for a face it's pretty easy to force something open."

He's been great with letting me wipe his paws, and he's finally got spin and shake down reliably now. Working on the next tricks will be a challenge, because he hasn't done much that I want to capture.

Anyway, tl;dr: my dog is dumb and terrible and will soon have his third birthday this month.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Spartacus sings the song of his people.

Usually right around 3 am :mad:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Good news everyone! Spartacus has worms again!

:suicide:

These are the most tenacious motherfuckers I've ever heard of. I thought we'd cured him when the sample that we collected just as he was showing symptoms again (diarrhea, straining, anxiety) came up clean. But nope, they just hadn't completed a life cycle yet for eggs to show up in poop.

I've lost track how many times we've treated him now. And we know it's the same worms because it's freezing now and he hasn't interacted with any other dogs.

He has also developed a sore on the side of one of his toes and on his hind ankle. :homebrew:

Cookie status: still a perfect angel

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

Nacho is definitely getting more comfortable with us. He's a sensitive doofus, and we wouldn't have it any other way :3:

His first time dealing with snow. He was unimpressed

Nacho looks like the perfect adorable doofus :3: - unlike some dogs I could mention...

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

bamhand posted:

That is clearly a baby giraffe.
Agreed, that or some kind of sick gazelle.

bamhand posted:

That's a lot of birthdays to have in one month. Happy birthday Spartacus!
Yesterday was Sparty's actual birthday, the previous pic was him celebrating my nephew's birthday. But you're right, having so many birthdays in a month really works up an appetite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W214_m9Xcc

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

nocuh posted:

Really? There are active retired racer greyhound adoption organizations in my area but I'm worried about getting a dog that doesn't know how to dog. I like playful dogs that get excited and jump on me and :3:

The greyhounds I've met are beautiful dogs and seem very affectionate but they are also very sleepy

Look for the younger retired racers, i.e. bad at racing. They're still got puppy in them, haven't spent a huge time living in track kennels, and will have lots more energy. Sparty is playful, is finally learning tricks, and we had to teach him not to jump or to punch people in the crotch. Still had to teach him to play some, but it was pretty quick and he will rough house with Cookie. It's fun when he gets amped up. So yeah, recommending a young racer.

Just look at all the trouble FUN I'm having with Spartacus! :v:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, basically this. My 'hound Taz is three years old, and he loves running around and playing. Formerly also jumping up on people (namely me, as he knew me the best. Once or twice he actually put his paws on my shoulders and drew his head level with mine...not used to having a dog that can be as tall as me! :v:) and punching people in the groin, but he stopped doing that pretty quick, after realizing that it wasn't appreciated. (Although I suppose one thing to potentially keep in mind is that although he's three, he was also very active and was a successful racer, up until getting a minor injury in one paw. Not sure if his behavior is any different to other greyhounds of his age, though)

I've also had a Whippet though, so honestly I think either is a great choice! I think the whippet will have more stamina/endurance then the greyhound though, so depending on how much you want them to run/jump around, that's a good thing or a bad thing! :v:

Dunno about stamina, Sparty ran four miles today with my spouse, so they can definitely be trained up to a lot. Or maybe mine is just broken.

...I'm going with broken

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yay Pearl! I would love more pictures please :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
On the flip side, Sparty raced (poorly) and doesn't really give a poo poo about squirrels. Sure he'll chase if he sees one, but he's been on leash and just ignored them and rabbits, too.

He is super pissed about the dog next door, though, and has dug up a landing strip to the fence because he launches himself from the porch and then immediately has to put on the brakes. He's also killed the poo poo out of a bush from peeing on it so much (but only from leg height down).

He's super confident, hyper, doesn't care about stairs at all, and is dumb as a bag of hammers. We've finally got Spin and Shake down, he knows Wait and Drop It, and we're finally figuring out playing with toys.

E: He also barks way more than I've heard greyhounds generally do, and he is obsessed with food. He also has been waking us up at 3 - as best we figure he gets lonely, because he doesn't want to go out but settles down immediately when one of us sleeps on the couch. We have big comfy dog beds in the bedroom (with pillows!) but apparently those are broken.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 4, 2017

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Meant to post an image of the damage he's wrought. Not sure if you can see the bush damage, but it's there.

E: Because I can't help myself, here's more of my doofus.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

cyphr555 posted:

omg what a beauty. I actually don't see many fawn greyhounds around here, they're all brindle. And such a handsome collar!
Thanks! My spouse picked it out, but it is indeed very handsome :kimchi:

We originally wanted a brindle, but Spartacus is the one we got. He's from a track in Alabama, so maybe check there? Also they apparently have super hookworms there, we just got a literal gallon bag of Panacur to try to kill the fuckers, in addition to the heartworm meds he's on :argh:

Did someone say awkward poses?

Yep, still broken...