Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

teacup posted:

DOGS!!!!

They pretty much came house trained from the rescue place we got them from. I've always been a bit confused by crate training. And there any resources people reccomend to narrow down the mammoth google search I've got on my hands when I put in "Crate training". Do both dogs go in the one crate? Or get two seperate ones?

EDIT- We also have a spare room we were thinking of kinda turning into 'their' room while we are away. Can we essentially take the lessons of 'crate training' online into just a giant room where they will go when we are away?
You need to establish which places are "home" or their den and unsuitable for relieving themselves, and which are ok for elimination. When they had to hold it so long they had an accident that flipped the switch from den to poop-place.

Crate training is basically making their crate into their den, a safe place to go back to and their "home" inside the home. It's never for punishment, only good things happen there.

If getting into the bread is the only issue for leaving them free rein in the house, you could consider getting muzzles for them. We've been putting Spartacus's on when we leave for extended periods just in case, because he started disliking his crate, and he clearly prefers being able to wander the house. He's pretty comfortable in his and can still drink water in it just fine, too.

You'll still have to rehousetrain (definitely get some enzymatic cleaner, Nature's Miracle works well for us) but it's an option if you're interested.

E:

Chosen posted:

My wife and I joined the greyhound cult a couple weeks ago. Meet Dahlia (yes, she needs a few burgers yet).

She's intensely curious and outgoing:

She is as stubborn as a mule. She statues all the time. At first, we thought this was due to fear and the strangeness of city life. Now, two weeks in, I know that she just freezes because she doesn't want to do whatever I'm currently proposing because it's boring. In this picture, it sure looks like she's afraid of the stairs, but actually she just wants to collect more scent information 5 feet away. She doesn't care that we've already been out for hours and I'm late for work.

She does yoga when eating chew treats:

She loves people so much, and she resents almost all of the other dogs we meet. It's been a real treat adopting her, I don't think we could've asked for a better first dog.
I missed this earlier, Dahlia is beautiful, nice and sleek! From one new skinnydog owner to another, welcome!

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bamhand posted:

Crates make house training a lot easier because they generally will not soil their crate.

Ask me about my puppy that would not stop pooping in her crate

e: not to put anybody off crate training, it totally works and eventually worked for Willow, she's just a stupid idiot that couldn't grasp the difficult concept of 'DON'T poo poo ON YOUR BED' for a while

Build-a-Boar fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 29, 2016

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
Peter turns the big 1-4 today, so we had a little party for him over the long weekend.

He and Ty celebrated by sharing a double cheeseburger from Culvers. He also got a little bite of pizza tonight, in honor of the piece of pizza he stole off of my plate within 15 minutes of getting here on the day we adopted him.

Sorry for the picture quality, those were the best/least blurry of the lot. For a couple of old farts, they sure do fidget a lot.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Omg this is literally the best thing I've seen all day! Happy Birthday Peter, rock on party hounds!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fuzz Feets posted:

Omg this is literally the best thing I've seen all day! Happy Birthday Peter, rock on party hounds!

Agreed, they look like such happy boys!

Happy birthday dogs!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So Wren was chasing the little dogs up and down the fence at the dog park when suddenly....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztALZsmSkpw

New best friend/evil twin? :3:

But they did have a good time running around with eachother.

Actually thinking of getting a second one of these goofy dogs now....

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Update on the household casualty list:

• Pot of pasta and sauce #2 (I thought it was my spouse putting the food away)
  • 2 loaves of bread (spouse left them on the counter, I was gone for 30 minutes)
  • Empty cardboard boxes from the recycling (???)

We at least seem to have stopped the main sources of trouble he can get into, even if it was essentially process of elimination. He also continues to find ways to jump on the bed when we're not around to watch him.

Also, :what:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Yesterday we took Wren to meet some greyhounds up for adoption, some were surprising feisty, but we met one that Wren got along with well, and ended up taking her home...

This is Wren and Idunn (pronounced Eden, basically)

Poor thing is missing a third of tail and has cuts on her snout and leg, no idea what happened to her, they just dropped her off at the adoption place without any paperwork.Just over a year old.

She's an absolute sweetheart, a bit protective of whichever bed she's currently laying on, but seems okay sharing everything else with Wren.
Very inquisitive and super out going for a greyhound too. First time owning two dogs, so here's hoping it stays good and they become best buddies, because seeing them do things together is just the cutest. :3:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Reese turned 6 on Tuesday.

Not pictured: party hat getting caught over his snout five minutes later.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I can't wait to do to Spartacus what you've done to Reese; greyhounds in party hats just look so festive! :toot:

Also hooray Idunn! I can't tell how gorgeous she is, you should post more pictures.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Rest in peace mister Pointybutt :( Thanks to you my sofas haven't flown up to the sky

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

DarkHorse posted:

Also hooray Idunn! I can't tell how gorgeous she is, you should post more pictures.

Can do!
This was the picture on the adoption website that first made me fall for her.

This was our first meeting with her, Wren on the left.

It was pretty cute though, after introducing Wren to all the dogs up for adoption, we put Wren in a fenced area off leash and went and got Idunn to see how they'd do there, Wren was soooo excited to see Idunn again, I've never seen her so happy to see another pup, that's when I was certain I found the right dog to adopt.

Before she completely figured out beds:

She soon got over any aggression of sharing a bed:

I'm thinking she was just wanting to cuddle, and not force Wren off the new bed, she's too goofy to be cunning from what I can tell.
Either way. :kimchi:

Wren has been super tolerant of her, and Idunn clearly adores the hell out of Wren, I was a bit worried this would be a disaster or Wren would resent the whole situation, but it's been good so far, and Idunn is getting a hang of things pretty fast.
Can't wait to get her adjusted enough that they're both ready for the dog park! :D

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
our goofiest is also our most cunning. For example: When my mom visits she has a whole routine of goofiness to get attention. She is also responsible for most of the destruction we see occur.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
My condolences slap me silly. It's hard to let friends pass. :( I would love to hear about Sir Pointybutt and his adventures, if you like.

Idunn is gorgeous, can confirm :swoon:

I love brindles so much, I had hoped we'd be able to adopt one, but the one I got is okay. I guess.

Xguard86 posted:

our goofiest is also our most cunning. For example: When my mom visits she has a whole routine of goofiness to get attention. She is also responsible for most of the destruction we see occur.
It would certainly explain Spartacus. He is a dorky goofy angel any time someone is near; as soon as he's out of sight, LET CHAOS REIGN :black101:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 28, 2016

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006

bamhand posted:

Dogs go in separate crates. They might make a mess in the room if they have a room instead of a crate. Crates make house training a lot easier because they generally will not soil their crate.

Confirmed. Crates are great for house training. If your hound, like most of them, came from a racetrack they will already know "what's up" with the crate. When we first got our girl we would restrict where she could go in the apartment outside her crate and gradually worked it up to where she thinks of the whole place as her "crate," i.e. not a place to eliminate. Crates are also nice because they can keep your hound safe and out of trouble when you're away for several hours.

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006
She had her first encounter with the beach recently and her ears were in full alert mode the whole time.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I love that her ears remain floppy in full alert mode.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

DarkHorse posted:

It would certainly explain Spartacus. He is a dorky goofy angel any time someone is near; as soon as he's out of sight, LET CHAOS REIGN :black101:

I can see our dogs through the back patio doors. When I leave, both dogs look really sad for ~1 minute. But then our little gremlin's ears pop up and she starts looking around. Mostly at things she totally ignores when I'm home. Like the couch she isn't permited to get on and the trash can that we had to put in a closet after leaving her alone a little too long. Or, most recently, my very expensive noise canceling bluetooth headphones she suddenly decided would be quite delicious.

They stay in their crates now haha.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
We adopted this wiggly goofball a couple weeks ago. We decided "Nacho" was a more fitting name than "Bubba". He's surprisingly calm for just turning 2.

He's also is very talkative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tubQO9nRyO8

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

:kimchi:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Nacho is a handsome hound, their cute faces and the ETS get me every time! Welcome to the skinny dog club.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

That is the first time I've seen a grey do that! What a good boy, he is helping.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fuzz Feets posted:

Nacho is a handsome hound, their cute faces and the ETS get me every time! Welcome to the skinny dog club.
Agree! And I leaned a new term for when Sparty's tongue doesn't fit in his pointy face.

Also bad news, Spartacus picked up hookworms from somewhere :( He'd had a few cases of diarrhea and was straining to poop so we were really worried he'd eaten something and had an intestinal blockage, but vet confirmed he had hookworms. After the first treatment and a nasty bloody stool he's started to get more solid poops. We also had a preventative dose for Cookie.

Best guess is that he picked it up from the dog park, because it has been weeks since we adopted him and I don't think they could be dormant for that long.

Anyway, feel better soon bubby.

...just because humans leave two limbs off of seats doesn't mean that's how you use chairs, dummies.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Your dog needs a sofa.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Lagomorphic posted:

Your dog needs a sofa.

Seems fine to me? :confused:

Here, let's try the couch thing...

Hmmm, I'm not sure it's working...

New theory: greyhounds are a liquid that will deform to match the shape of their container cushions.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 6, 2016

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006
All high on grass and poo poo

I.G.Y.
May 5, 2006
DarkHorse I'm not sure if he's comfy. Maybe he needs a second, or even third couch, just in case. Get a minor, uncomfortable fourth couch for yourself.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

:kimchi:
Such graceful beasts.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's almost Halloween, show us your halloweenies!

As our first Halloween with a greyhound we had to do the completely original traditional costume of his people:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Oh good, we weren't the only ones then.

Poor dog

e: i feel the need to point out that was a test fit, we wrapped the string in washcloths to make it comfortable on his skin because comfort is important and screw dignity

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 30, 2016

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

It cracks me up because I've seen variations of that costume so many times and in every single photo the hound looks so sad to be a bus.

I am the worst greyhound owner because this is the third Halloween I've had one and I still have never dressed her up.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I can't get enough of these wonderful greyhound WTF faces

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

pastor of muppets posted:

It cracks me up because I've seen variations of that costume so many times and in every single photo the hound looks so sad to be a bus.

I am the worst greyhound owner because this is the third Halloween I've had one and I still have never dressed her up.

slap me silly posted:

I can't get enough of these wonderful greyhound WTF faces

Greyhounds: We are so sad to be a bus

E: He's still got hookworms, first round of treatment didn't eradicate them completely, redoing it with a new drug. I've come to think that the first round was still the ones he had from the track, just really resilient drug-resistant ones.

Also I don't give a poo poo about Spartacus's feelings about being a bus, he tore up a fabric grocery bag and stole cardboard out of the recycling (and the occasional poop indoors, but that's from worms so he gets a pass for now). Crate arrived from Amazon today, you had your chance buddy-boy :colbert:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 30, 2016

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

Greyhounds: We are so sad to be a bus

E: He's still got hookworms, first round of treatment didn't eradicate them completely, redoing it with a new drug. I've come to think that the first round was still the ones he had from the track, just really resilient drug-resistant ones.

Also I don't give a poo poo about Spartacus's feelings about being a bus, he tore up a fabric grocery bag and stole cardboard out of the recycling (and the occasional poop indoors, but that's from worms so he gets a pass for now). Crate arrived from Amazon today, you had your chance buddy-boy :colbert:

Hahaha, in the last few months of his life my dude's main entertainments were pooping on the floor and sticking his entire head into the kitchen trash can to steal food wrappers. Bus dress is a most appropriate response to such shenanigans.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all, let me just preemptively apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong thread. Anyway, as I adopted an ex-racing Greyhound* several weeks ago, I just have a question regarding bedding.

I've got a outdoors bed like this one with a hessian/sack material covering, however despite the fact that I've got a large, thick blanket covering it (with the edges tucked under the legs of the bed) during the course of the day while I'm at work and he's busy playing with his squeaky echidna, he bumps his bed around and the blanket becomes "un-tucked". So, presumably in an attempt to become comfy again (as he does it with his indoor bedding when he messes it up. And he doesn't get anxious anymore when I'm not around, so it's not just that), he pulls everything around with his claws, until he's satisfied.
As a result of this, in a couple of spots it's becoming quite thin/worn through, so I suspect that I'll need to replace it in a number of weeks. So what I'm wondering is, is the sack/hessian material the best/most durable sort to use, or should I get the more 'trampoline'/plastic style material for the cover? I wasn't sure if that would be as comfortable for him initially (which is why I got the hessian/sack sort), however if it's much more durable when it comes to casual/occasional scratching, it may be worth a shot.

So yeah, any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated! I'm also interested in general Greyhound-related tips, if you have an FAQ-post somewhere here (OP didn't seem to contain anything like that, so hopefully it's worth a shot asking!)

* Here and here are a couple of the not very good/high-quality photos I have of the little fella. :3: Shut up, all my friends and family who are used to Whippets and Italian Greyhounds, he's not too big, dang it)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 3, 2016

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Major Isoor posted:

he pulls everything around with his claws, until he's satisfied.

Good dog :kimchi:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

He legitimately makes his bed almost every single day, typically while he waits for breakfast, after I wake him up with my own morning routine....then he messes it up again while playing with his toy (and manages to move his bed 1-2 metres in the process) and the cycle repeats. He just cannot stand having an unmade bed, it seems, even if he does a terrible job of fixing it!
...Although I think it would be much better/cuter if I wasn't the one needing to foot the bill, after he slowly tears up his bed :D

Also, is it mandatory for Greyhounds to wear a muzzle while out in public in countries outside Australia, or is that just yet another stupid law we have, that no one else has? (Thankfully you can apply for muzzle exemption after a test, which I've obtained...still need to carry a permit on walks though)

(EDIT: Wow, my typos...I can really tell I'm at the point of tiredness, where I shouldn't be writing!)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 3, 2016

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yikes. Pretty sure that's just you all. Only obligatory thing around here is a rabies tag.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby is supposedly a "senior" dog, but one day my neighbor texted me to say she was barking in howling, which is of course weird for greyhounds. I keep her out of an area of my condo while I'm at work, either with a table or chairs. That day she managed to vault over the chairs, and was upset that she couldn't get back! Also at the pet food store, she always puts her paws up on the counter, but last time she completely jumped on top of it! Then had the expression of "what the hell do I do now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My dude when he was still learning his way around accidentally jumped up and knocked his treat bag off the top of the refrigerator.