Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Peristalsis posted:

Our dogs have trouble with the rooms that have wood floors, too. We had to put carpet runners down to let them get from the front room to their food bowls, and/or the back door. It seems to work, though one of them eyes the runners suspiciously if it he sees it moving, or, God forbid, feels it move underneath him.

Our older dog has trouble with stairs and the car, and we've had to put him on pain meds for arthritis and general old age aches and pains. It seems to help some, but we're also resigned to him being a first-floor only dog in the near future. I'm not sure what to do about the car for him. I don't really want to buy a minivan just because we have two old dogs, but I don't know any way to make my sedan more geriatric-dog-friendly.

Can you build a little ramp for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

rhoga posted:

The dogs got their much-needed burger.

BURGERS! :3:

it looks kinda like you took the cheese off those mickey ds though... Say it ain't so!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Casey is so lovely! I really like all those little spots. Happy birthday spottydog

I've learned that no matter where I am or what I am doing or who I am with, if I see someone with a greyhound, I immediately say "greyhouuund!"

This is in opposition to my quietly saying to myself "aw doggie" or "aw kitty" if I see a dog or cat about. (Or just blurting out 'doggie' or 'kitty' if I am with friends)

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Root that snoot :3:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Maybe Remy is smarter than you think and knows where you went and how to work the elevator.

I am not a dog expert, but my grey was pretty spooked about a lot of things at first. Aside from general comfort (familiar smells and objects, consistency) it was largely me not considering the noises and events as anything out of the ordinary. I would just ignore it all and treat her calmly, not letting what we were doing get interrupted. If she got upset I wouldn't fuss on her, just say "it's ok, good girl" and maybe a little head touch.

Distraction with a frozen treat or something might work, to give him something to focus on other than the noises? Alternatively, a thundershirt or a pheromone product might help.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

So pretty, greys are just the prettiest. :3:

You probably know already, but keep an eye out for panting, even if he's otherwise calm. Panting can be a sign of anxiety.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I adore how many dogs get burgs in this thread :3:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

It was very generous of you but giving your dog a car is not a good idea

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Lurchers need burgers too!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

So many Good Dogs in this thread! :3:

Union has been gone over 2 years now, but my friend knows I still miss her. For Christmas he and his gf gave me a little digital photo keychain that he had preloaded with all the photos of union he could find. I was super touched and stood there for like a minute watching the slideshow go by and babbling about what a good girl she is.

Ghostgirl, that is pretty awful, I'm sorry... That is how I lost Union. She made it through the amputation surgery but later that day she just faded out. 5 minutes before that they'd called me to come get her and take her to the e-vet for overnight monitoring, so it was pretty unexpected by them too. The vet said in 20 years that was only the third time they'd lost an animal during/after surgery. It may be relevant that she was about 11, and had a heart murmur for some time, so surgery was more risky than for a younger or more healthy grey.

I'm pretty sure Husker would be a success story for you to look at, I can't remember which poster owned him- they're in this thread somewhere. iirc Husker had a leg amputated and was back to being a doofus in no time. Eventually cancer got him but that was years later.

I've been told that osteosarcoma is an issue for greyhounds, so there should be lots of stories or advice out there. I just decided based on my dog and her situation, and the info the vet was explaining.

Good luck! (And give that dog a burger)

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

pastor, I love seein pictures of lovely Rory! She's so spoiled and it's great. I definitely sympathise with missing your pup so much even just a week away- it's so obvious with greys how attached they are to you, it makes you feel so guilty to leave them. Also, Thanks for your kind words :)

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

ghostgirl I'm so glad that everything is going ok! it's a really difficult thing to go through, but I bet all your pup knows is the painful leg is out of the picture and she can get back to living her life. I'm sure you are spoiling her rotten. :3: Please do keep us updated!

ghostgirl118 posted:

Since she got a burger the day of her diagnosis, she seems to think that all burgers that we get to go are meant for her.

Yesssssss

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

bamhand posted:

Any tips for a new dog owner? Things I should have ready? I'm supposed to go see some of the adoptable dogs tomorrow and I'm preparing a list of things I'll need for taking one home. So far I have:

Crate
Doggy bed
Food/water bowls
Leash
Collar
Muzzle
Toys
Nail Clippers
Brush
Toothbrush

Am I missing anything? What are toys that are good for greyhounds? Chew toys? What is a good water bowl/bottle for keeping inside the crate?

doggie bags!
also, greys like having their food and water bowls raised up. So you could be fancy and get a "bowl stand" or "feeder stand", or you could do what I did and get B&Q to slice up a longer board and build yourself a little floor-standing shelf.

greys get confused about toys, but most of them do seem to prefer little fluffy things that squeak. They tend not to be real fans of "chew" toys.

Treats can be good to have on-hand early on, especially on walks, to help you train the grey to focus on you (and your treats) rather than worry about loud noises or whatever else. They'll probably warm up to you really fast anyway, but treats can help! You probably don't need fancy treats- just a 'sample' pack of a yummy kibble will work, since they're bite size already and also kind of dog food (vs dog treat, which you wouldn't feed too much of).

If you'll be taking the grey in your car in a bunch, a couple of old bedsheets (or a fitted seat cover) can save you some vacuuming. An old towel or two is good to have handy for wiping dirty feet or drying rained-on heads.

Depending on your grey you might want to have a soup-size can of PLAIN pumpkin puree. If your grey gets poo problems from a change in food, anxiety, etc. then a spoonful of pumpkin mixed in with food will help sort that out.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

various cheeses posted:

Welp just gave up my dog to a foster home since I started working 12+ hour shifts and that would've been a lovely life for her. You were a good dog, even though your breath stank like fish, and you diarrhea poo poo in my car that one time. Despite the fact that you spent 99% of the time immobile, asleep under a blanket, the house feels a bit lonelier now. Good dog, enjoy your new life. :byewhore:

That is very glib but I enjoyed reading your updates and seeing pics of your pup bundled in blankets. I'm sorry she had to go to a new home, but I agree it was the right decision with such long work days. You'd never have gotten to see each other. It must have been pretty tough, you don't have to act like a cool guy who doesn't care!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I am proud to have been even fractionally responsible for more greyhounds getting burgers.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Chipotle

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I can't believe you got your greyhound stomach staples

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

It was meant to be a joke about greyhounds tiny tummies, sorry :]

He's a good dog and you're good owners!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

:kimchi: If you don't frame that one and put it on your wall I will be so disappointed.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

ghostgirl, I'm so sorry, poor Tatiana. I'm glad she had a good and loving home. I liked seeing updates about her (and Regulus) because it was clear they are special to you. I know you only had her a pretty short time but it is funny how quickly a greyhound can become someone's favorite. Union has been gone 3 years now and I still think about her all the time. A Good Dog is a treasure.

Seeing Wren get a birthday burger is also a treasure. :kimchi:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Greyhounds are famous crybabies, it is known

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

The funny thing is, with union at least, when she was actually seriously hurt she would just stand there like huh? Why you look all worried?

Once another dog jumped up on her to play and tore a hole in the skin on her chest, it was kind of cool really, because their skin is really loose and I could slide it around and could see her muscles or something through this 3 inch hole, but no blood? And union was just like, ok, tell me when you're done playing with that I guess

Dog, something in the weeds bit you on the face and you have blood all over you and a golfball of some kind under your cheek skin. You should be upset. But no. Car ride! Oh the vet is squeezing the cheek thing to get all the blood out, it looks super painful, but dog is all hey what up nice lady

And of course when she had the bone tumor she was limping more and more but never grumbled or fussed even though it must have hurt.

But back up and accidentally bump her butt into a door which swings away from her? IM SCARED AND IM DYING TOO

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

That is the first time I've seen a grey do that! What a good boy, he is helping.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I love all your idiots

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Hello

This is Tizzy until I have a better idea, or Tuihabi

I instinctively said "aw look at you, noodle!" immediately before this pic tho, so tbh I am prob gonna go with Noodle

It has been over 3 years and I miss having a lazy dog in my life. She will be joining me next weekend

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I visited Noodle today and we hung out for an hour and went on a little walk. She's so placid, I can't wait for her to perk up once she settles in a bit. She did a little bouncy steppin' for part of the walk though. :3: now I am online buying her crate and some fluffy toys that look like cupcakes

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I have had Kizzy/Noodle for a few days now and she doesn't like being left alone :[ she whimpers even if I go upstairs and Velcro dogs me when I am downstairs. I've had to sleep on an air mattress in the kitchen even because she doesn't want me out of her sight. she was ok with a crate but when I left her for more than an hour in it she pooped and messed it all over >:[ now she is shy of the crate so while I work on that with her she gets confined to the kitchen.

She isn't destructive at least, but babycam shows she doesn't really sleep and has whining spells while she lays apathetically in bed. Then after a few hours she poops and or pees which is not fun and also annoying because I take her for walks before and after. She is not careful about her mess so I just have to clean the whole kitchen floor (thankfully not her bed yet but it is a matter of time). She doesn't care about yummy food in puzzle toys if I am not there. Radio seems to make no difference. she's just sad.

I know it will take her some time to settle in, but I have to return to full days of work next week. I will try to come home for half an hour at lunches, but I worry that might agitate her more (or double the mess). I've not had a dog with separation anxiety before so I am trying to do everything right if I can, but it breaks my heart knowing she is upset. I dont really know how you can tell if a dog is getting better at being left alone, or if they really are better off with a dog buddy. She at least has stopped whining while she lays in her by while I am still in the room hanging out though.

I will see how we do for a couple weeks, but yeah I am worried that next week might be a disaster of her crying and messing all day and me being anxious and upset for her at work and then trying to repair dog emotional trauma :| I don't know how I would tell, but if she manages to tolerate being left all day, that still doesn't seem as good a life for her as maybe one where she'd have another dog, or someone who stays home more.

I feel bad, now I'm second guessing having her, she is a lovely sweet girl and I want this to work. But it feels like she is not very happy right now. I'm hoping she just needs more settle-in time as greyhounds do. I also feel kind of guilty that I guess I was spoiled with union, who had no problems, would happily be left all day and not mess ever, was super outgoing and independent. I guess part of me is disappointed Kizzy is turning out not to be as Easy a dog and that makes me feel guilty too! Sigh emoji

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 6, 2016

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Well never being left alone is not possible unfortunately. I think she is actually doing pretty good for her situation, I just dunno if I am equipped to make things better for her. I called the greyhound place and had a nice talk with the main lady who has lots of experience with greys in new homes, she gave me some advice and a pep talk so things are good.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I don't have great advice for that since I've been lucky and not had to deal with behavior issues much. I would suspect you need to train specifically that taking something away, or dropping it, results in positive reward. An even nicer treat or something? Even if 99% of the time he has no problem doing so. Resource protectiveness is relatively common so you should find lots of good advice. Just remember the growling and barking were warnings, you don't want to train out the warning, you want to train out the source,

Personally though I would never leave my dog unsupervised with a bone (they're raw, right?) I can all too easily imagine her breaking off a yummy chunk and trying to swallow it but it's too big. The other problem she would have is wanting to eat the whole thing, causing some gum bleeding from so much gnawing. I will leave her with a peanut butter kong though.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Aw, now even greyhounds can fit in a pocket!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

dumdums

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

My dumdum Josie JoJo Junior Shabadoo has turned up the barkometer in the last month. I'm not sure whether it's weather or yayattention. I don't think it's boredom, we can go for a long sunny walk topped off with chicken legs and some miserable attempts at learning tricks and as soon as I turn my back to do dishes... BIRF! rowrrrowwwBORF

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I have not said much about Josie here but it is mostly because my ipad and phone hate imgur and won't upload pictures to it, and when I'm at work I forget.

Anyway it is Josie's birthday in about a week (she will be 3) and we were grilling burgs last night, so happy early burgday Josie-bella!

She took it to the grass and ate it in the following order:
- top bun
- bottom bun
- lettuce
- cheese
- meat

She even gave the meat a good licking and sniff before peeling off the cheese to gobble up.

I also enjoy giving Josie various fruits and vegetables because she seems to like most of them. She enjoys carrots, apples, melon, mango, cooked asparagus, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower, and some others I forget right now. She does not like mushrooms.

Her far-and-away favorite is strawberries, to the point where she prefers them over her raw chicken drums. I have some strawberry plants in my backyard which I need to somehow prevent her from getting to because she will eat them off the plant the moment they are ripe. I am now calling her "strawbgoblin" and "strawburglar"

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Adorable :kimchi:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Which one farts worse?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I'm so sorry :(: he was a beautiful boy and I'm sure he loved you tremendously. Please give Tess lots of fuss. It is awful when a pet dies but we can get some comfort from the remaining ones.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I hope those puppers made it through ok! :ohdear:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Is there a word for being terrifying and hilarious at the same time

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I think I owe this thread a really big update!

So at the start of December I adopted a needleface and temporarily named her Noodle, but after working with her for a month it was clear that she had huge separation anxiety and I wasn't able to help her improve that (spent much time and money and got trainer advice). A few days after Christmas, in tears I returned her to the agency, who were totally sweet and understanding (they had been helping me work through it so it wasn't a surprise).

It was okay though because she was adopted out with her kennelmate the next day, and last I checked they were doing great.

So, when I first chose Noodle, there were 2 greys to choose from- same age, same size, same looks, same reaction to cats, same temperament overall. I just chose Noodle because she'd been just a little more into scritches. When I returned Noodle I asked if they had the other dog still, and they did! She wasn't having a good time in the kennels (she had a tail injury that wouldn't heal, and she was not very confident). I brought her home that day as a hopefully failing foster.

She settled right in, not on any of the 3 dog beds/areas I had, but on the cozy chair in the lounge. It is Her Chair now, she Loves it.

Josie (Josie-bella, Josie-jo, Jo-Jo Potato, Josiepepper) was a perfect fit, completely well behaved and fine being left alone. She was shy and it took until summer for her to gain her confidence. She still gets "go away" growly with other dogs who get up in her space for too long or who surprise her, but I think that's ok, she's just telling them not being aggressive. The neighbor's dogs are her best dogfriends and they have really really helped her come out of her shell and learn how to be a real doggo. They play run and chase and she will even play tug with the little one. They get lots of walks together and backyard playtimes.

The little one is kind of a pushover so we've also had to teach Josie about other dogs' boundaries, even though she is small she is not a toy also. The neighbors let her out at lunchtime for me and I think she loves them more than she loves me.

She is really not very smart, but she tries. This is what happens when she is digging in the vegetable box and you tell her to get out and she doesn't understand but knows you want something so she just hunkers lower and lower until flat

But she tries

She is fairly chatty and makes grumbles and sings and barks for no reason sometimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf7GfwOcYuM

She horfs up dry food so she has a maze feeder. She adores fruits and vegetables (and the chicken legs and just about any other food). She will chow on cucumbers, gobble up asparagus, nom mushrooms, crunch carrots and apples. Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, orange slices, every tuber and legume. She's liked every fruit I've given her (except gooseberry) but strawberries are her favorite (watermelon and mango close seconds). I have some strawberry plants in my garden and I never saw a single one because she would eat them off the plant before they even ripened. I had to net off my garden because she was digging up carrots and stealing cherry tomatoes. I had to pick up every cherry that fell off my tree because she wanted to eat them. For her 3rd birthday she got a hamburger.

She ate the bun, then the lettuce, then pulled the cheese off the meat and ate it, and ate the meat last.

She really loves Her Chair though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYdsCiz8140

I have only mistakenly called or referred to her as Union like, 5 times. Maybe 6.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

You should stop in at your vets and ask the nurses for advice? They might want you to bring the dog in to see a doc but I think if you frame it as "what can I do to keep it clean/ what bad signs should I watch out for" you can manage it yourself.

Anyway keeping it clean is most important. If you have antibacterial gel/cream use it, sometimes there are soothing ingredients too. You could stop by a pharm and see if they have something like dermabond, but depending on price, or the size/shape of the wound, that might not be a good option. It doesn't sting to put on, but if it tears open it will, like a scab hurts. Also surgical glue is water soluble so it would have to remain dry.

You might want to pick up some surgical tape, if he does want to go outside on it, it can help to tape up the foot pretty good to protect the wound (pad it a little with gauze). Assuming he is a normal dog who would freak out if you tried to put a shoe on him.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 26, 2017