Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Adam

Adopted him about a week and a half ago and so far so good I reckon. A bit food / bed aggressive but nothing that a little time and consistency can't take care of.

The thing that strikes me is how aloof he is. He seems cool about pretty much everything -- other dogs, other people, other greyhounds, any other situation I have brought him to -- and is willing to accept attention from pretty much anyone, although he doesn't act like he gives a crap about any of it and that seems to confuse people. I'm not sure if this is his personality or if he's just still shellshocked or something at the idea of being a pet but I feel I lucked out how I don't have much in the way of major behavior issues out 'n about. Is anyone else's like that? It's a bit surprising, this sorta aloofness, considering he was in like 177 races.

Also yeah it's been a week and a half and I got the he's so thiiiiiin thing about 5 times now.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Indeed, I would describe Adam's attitude outdoors as calm if not necessarily relaxed, as if he's taking it all in so to speak. Bits of personality are definitely beginning to show up though and he's dead-cockroach sleeping with the best of them.

I'll look forward to how the next few months unfold, especially once the hot weather subsides. I'm in it for the long haul (hopefully) after all.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Ahahaha. Given that Adam was racing as recently as April down in St. Petersburg, his coat is pretty poo poo right now, but I look forward to late winter-ish, when he'll get his next coat and hopefully get a bit more hair on his underside.

In other news, I'm about a month in with Adam, and oh man definitely he's showing a lot more personality now, both at home and outside too. I finally found a good trigger for him to run full-speed -- I noticed while walking him around the local park that he took a major interest in frisbees, and so I took him to the dog park and started throwing one around with my friend, and Oh man he runs real fast! Sadly I have no photos (trying to take a picture of a greyhound running is deceptively hard), but it was really gratifying to see.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

a life less posted:

Who wants a loser greyhound?

Bart Simpson for one.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Yeah, it's two months on and Adam has changed a hell of a lot from the first week or so, even though he's still skittish with things like smooth tile floors. At first he was real mopey and just stood around; now he's running all over the place at the park and enjoys sleeping the afternoon through in my bed when I'm not at home.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I find the "green collar" thing and the Australian attitude in general perplexing. Like, on this site goes on about certified retraining programs and so on, and what on earth would a retraining program be like for a greyhound? For Adam, his retraining consisted of being shown where the dog bed was and then he slept on it and then he was a Retrained Pet.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Yeah it took Adam 2-3 months to learn how to jump on/off stuff. I guess tracks must be pretty flat places. Before then I'd bust my rear end hauling him up into the car. Now he splits his time between his bed and mine.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Adam ran in 177 :colbert: winning 20 and placing in 34. And yet did no breeding, I dunno.

Kiowa Sweet Trey offspring supremacy 4 evarrrr.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

pastor of muppets posted:

Our dogs have the same sire! :respek:

Congrats, you're in an exclusive club of like 13,000

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

actionjackson posted:

haha what are the chances???

Pretty high actually 'cuz he's fathered literally like 13000 pups. I have his son too.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Jersey posted:

us too! worked wonders. right away better poo and better skin.

I think I'll try this next time I buy a bag. I am currently using Pure Vita bison and Adam is OK with it certainly but he has occasional bad bouts of dandruff. (The dryness of the local climate doesn't help either.)

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

ghostgirl118 posted:

And I haven't seen any pictures lately, not to call anyone out specifically. :colbert:

Ok

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I give a lot of leeway to adoption agencies, because most of the time they never hear from the dogs again (because they're doing fine with their new family); if they do, it's often because of bad things happening at the new residence. This cycle over many years can turn anyone into a crazy animal person. They do a lot of warning about things because they've probably seen death resulting from it before.

Getting back to the original question though, it comes down to the dog. I leave Adam outside the coffee shop for a couple minutes while ordering nearly each day and he's fine with that -- but then I've been with him for 9 months now and I know he's demonstrated no sudden darting behavior at anything. He's focused on getting attention from people far more than trying to hunt down anything. If that wasn't the case I wouldn't be engaging in that kind of behavior, but that's true with any breed of dog.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I took Adam around the US back in the winter

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

One thing to say about the tracks; they breed for performance. Not color, shape, BS show standards, etc. It's part of the reason why I can expect a healthy life out of mine and not have to deal with half a lifetime of hip problems.

It's part of the reason I always say I "adopted" my dog instead of "rescue".

It was one thing in the heyday of racing, but tracks and adoption agencies need each other now in a lot of ways. If the tracks all go away, it wouldn't be the end of greyhounds, but it would probably be the end of physically healthy, docile, non-backyard greyhounds.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I have to say that I feel quite lucky that I adopted a dog that just makes no sound whatsoever. I have now had Adam for 13 months and I can count on one hand the number of whines he's given me. He is chill as gently caress 24/7.

Here's a picture in case you forgot what a greyhound looks like.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Here's Adam the serial foot pisser-onner at Boston Common earlier today

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Here's Adam wishing murder upon the world this morning in Stowe, VT when it was 1 degree F out. At least it was sunny.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I'm pretty sure the Colorado alcohol commission accepts "dog years" when enforcing 21+ restrictions

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Maybe I'm a cynic, but what's the rescue's take?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Adam's current walking schedule:
- Go out, immediate #1/#2
- Nose at snowy bushes and then look at me, asking me to whisk everything tormenting him away
- Go to the nearby pet shop
- Hang out there for a while
- Walk the rest of the strip mall
- Back to the pet shop
- Maybe a few droplets before going back to the hotel room

That's with 2 layers; it is currently about 8F here.

Here's our cool conversion van btw, he luvs all of its propane-powered heat

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I am starting to get the impression that ol' Adam is balding a bit more as of late -- he was always bald to start with in the stomach/back legs, but now he's looking a bit thin on the top of the head and the sides of the hips. Otherwise he is quite healthy. The internet says melatonin can help, but anyone here got some experience with that?

Here we are in Kittery, ME